Weight Loss: Reduce Starch Or Fat?

aquaman

MightyFall said:
Wouldn't the mixture of sugar (carbs in general) and fat promote the storage of fat? I would appreciate someone explaining this to me. Thanks.

Mix protein, fat and primarily fruit carbs. Keep fat around 25% calories, 90%+ as saturated.

Dutchie

Ari said:
Dutchie said:
Funny thing is also...years ago when I did a foodintolerance test. The foods were divided in different categories...you had category for vegetables,protein,dairy,fruit,other sweeteners,starchy grains and other starch sources. Potato was listed amongst the vegetables as was parsnip&beets....the non-grain starches list didn't list the potato. So that makes me wonder why potato is categorised as high starch source....maybe there's something more to it,sorta like an inbetween starch/sugar?

Well, potatoes are very well digested and tolerated by many people. I know Jenn here swears by them. Even Peat says that the potato juice is a great thing to have. They have the nutritional profile of kind of... its a mix really, they have sugars and vitamins like a fruit, proteins like a meat, calcium like dairy, but without a doubt they are still a very large source of starch.

I have to ask at this point, why are you so bent on getting starchy foods? Is it financial or comfort?

As far as making meals it's quite easy without starch. Eggs/Dairy/Fruit. You can live off of that short list, and they can all mix in a meal as well.

For an example. I just ate 3 eggs, 2 oz parmigianno regianno, 28 dates, 1 square chocolate,2 cups OJ. That's a lot of cals, and no starch is needed.

Then I can ask you the same question,why are you so bent on not eating some starch?;)

Part of it can be financial,other part food variety&inspiration but the biggest part for my own mental sanity....
I've gotten so much food/eat issues,fatgain isuues,mealpattern,exercise issues,restricting foodgroups etc, because of various 'scenes/communities' that it's very important for me to eat delicious/composed meals,well at least dinner,and not just graze/eat a piece of fruit&cheese or something like that....it has to feel 'in my mind' like a meal.
I want to eat big and lift big and have it being a fun experience a la 180Degrees,instead of foodfears,anxieties about having to gain weigth etc.

Dutchie

Ari said:
My answer is simple: Because it is not good for you.

I don't think the minimal amount of starch in root vegetables,potato and plantain can be compared to starch in something like grains.
Besides,you make it sound as if I'm saying I'm gonna eat starch everyday all day long.;)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Nothing minimal about starch in a potato. With that being said, you have to find out what works for you.

jyb

Jenn's frying in coconut oil method might be the way to cook. I don't feel too bad on it, though my ideal source of energy is still fresh OJ.

Ari

jyb said:
Jenn's frying in coconut oil method might be the way to cook. I don't feel too bad on it, though my ideal source of energy is still fresh OJ.

Yes I think Jenns method is the best.. I did pretty well when baking potatoes for an hour on the grill, and then cutting them up and frying them in coconut oil again, but I just never felt completely right until I cut out starch for good.

But i'm not trying to be a starch hater... there are plenty of people that I know who are much healthier, stronger, and more energetic than me who eat starch daily.

My system is just compromised i'm sure.

Dutchie

@Ari I agree, i cant think of a single culture that doesnt have any type of starch in their diet.
Its just that i dont know what to eat anymore to permanently feel good emotionally.....and its not as black&white for me as to follow RP work regarding diet and hormones.and avoiding certain amino acids. The contrary can sometimes be beneficial for me.
I frequently have days where im so lethargic that i dont feel like eating anymore and then other days where i feel exhiliarated and fantasize about everything id like to make.
I also think the weather/sunligth plays a keyfactor in my metabolism&#igestion.

Ari

My best advice would be to keep a very detailed log of how foods make you feel, and to only make dietary changes once per week. Any more frequent than that and you will have trouble knowing what is good or bad.

Dutchie

Ari said:
My best advice would be to keep abh very detailed log of how foods make you feel, and to only make dietary changes once per week. Any more frequent than that and you will have trouble knowing what is good or bad.
Ive done such a thing,but it was useless because what does me good a certain time,doesnt so much another time. And i find sticking/repeating the same foods too much can cause problems too.
Ive bougth refined coconut oil just to see what all the fuzz is about but it seems unrefined is still the main preferred one.

As for the cravings for plantains,(sweet)potatoes,parsnip,pumpkin all root veggies. I think it migth have something to do with this...the soluble fibers: buzzle.com/articles/soluble-fiber-foods-list.html

Because coincidentally the fruits on that list are the ones im lately eating.

Ari

Yeah, I think you are on to something there. I mean for example, I feel much better eating a whole fruit than drinking just the juice of it. Probably the soluble fiber then.

Dutchie

Ari said:
Yeah, I think you are on to something there. I mean for example, I feel much better eating a whole fruit than drinking just the juice of it. Probably the soluble fiber then.

Yes,thats actually something i dont agree with on this framework,the lack of fiber.
I think the important part is the type of fiber and the whole sterile gut thing doesnt seem logical to me either.
Fiber from whole grains is defenitely bad for the gut,but i dont think fibers from fruit and some veggies are damaging. For instance apple pectin,which is considered as wrong in peatscene,is absolutely no problem for me.
Also the lack of fibers made me sligthly hypoglycemic/diabetic.....which is another thing i have a hard time believing that starch from potatoes,root veggies and plantain make you diabetic bc theyre high in soluble fiber and resistant starch....both of which promote good gut bacteria and turning it to butyric acid.

superhuman

ive tried both with and without starch but i havent noticed anything.

I know alot of people that seems to have trouble with starch esp in terms of weight gain etc. They could alot more calories and carbs when they switched from starch to fruit and sugar.

Would be cool if more people shared their experience esp if they measured their calories with and without etc

Dutchie

@Ari. Apparently soluble fibers also have immune enhancing powers whereas insoluble fiber doesnt.

sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100302171531.htm

Realdheals

Hey man. Didn't get time to go through the whole thread, but based on this

Well, I am gaining a significant amount of abdominal fat, I am on a blood sugar roller coaster and have become extremely sensitive to any form of carbohydrate food, whether mixed with protein or not, my brain fog has started to affect my academic performance as a student and my everyday life because it has become so severe and I constantly yawn throughout the day.

I have also considered adrenal fatigue, but it feels more like insulin resistance since my blood tests don't indicate low thyroid function, low cortisol levels etc. (in fact my blood tests were very good, except for a slightly blood sugar reading). Insulin resistance is the only thing I can consider.

The strange thing is, I am not overweight (nearly there now!), and never was. Neither am I a fan of PUFAs (except for chicken). I find it difficult to recover from cardio or strength exercises. I have tried Matt Stone's protocol but felt progressively worse. Ray Peat is seriously the last straw... I returned to low carb briefly but I felt weaker and my brain fog worsened.

You have endtoxin issues. Your solution. Cod liver oil tsp per day, coconut oil tbsp per day, a quality B vitamin supplement and Peats Carrot and vinegar salad (never tried this myself though). You'll notice the difference after 1 week and you'll feel pretty damn good after about 2 weeks.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Realdheals, :welcome

I am curious as to why you suggest 1 tsp of cod liver oil for endotoxin issues?

SAFarmer

Charlie said:
Realdheals, :welcome

I am curious as to why you suggest 1 tsp of cod liver oil for endotoxin issues?

+1 Charlie, and also why he is confident that someone will " notice the difference after 1 week and you'll feel pretty damn good after about 2 weeks. " ,especially since he's "never tried it himself before " :eek:

Mittir

Cod liver oil tsp per day, coconut oil tbsp per day, a quality B vitamin supplement and Peats Carrot and vinegar salad (never tried this myself though).

Sounds like a part of Peat-Price diet( Ray Peat+ Weston Price).
I think someone should start a website on that if there isn't already.
We sure can have many versions of peat diets.
High starch Peat ( It has been done by Matt Stone)
High PUFA Peat ,Low carb Peat, High fat peat,
Peat paleo ( i think i have seen a website on that)
Mediterranean peat, Peat-Atkins. Diversification is the key in
market share.

Dutchie

Mittir said:
Cod liver oil tsp per day, coconut oil tbsp per day, a quality B vitamin supplement and Peats Carrot and vinegar salad (never tried this myself though).

Sounds like a part of Peat-Price diet( Ray Peat+ Weston Price).
I think someone should start a website on that if there isn't already.
We sure can have many versions of peat diets.
High starch Peat ( It has been done by Matt Stone)
High PUFA Peat ,Low carb Peat, High fat peat,
Peat paleo ( i think i have seen a website on that)
Mediterranean peat, Peat-Atkins. Diversification is the key in
market share.

LOL....I'd say high PUFA Peat is no Peat at all.;)

Do you happen to know the Peat-Paleo site/blog? I'm looking for basically Paleoish sites/blogs/recipes and eat fruits&other natural sugars for carbs (no starch and preferrably no/low veggies) ?

Mittir

Dutchie said:
LOL....I'd say high PUFA Peat is no Peat at all.;)

Do you happen to know the Peat-Paleo site/blog? I'm looking for basically Paleoish sites/blogs/recipes and eat fruits&other natural sugars for carbs (no starch and preferrably no/low veggies) ?

One can easily invent a high PUFA peat version based on huge
amount of scientific "Evidence" showing benefits of vegetable
and Fish oil.Throw in some carrot salad and orange juice, its done.

I do not remember those peat-paleo sites. I have seen posts
at paleohacks who tries to incorporate both peat and paleo.
I also remember seeing a blog on Raw Peat version.