Extremely Low Fat Diet

Zachs

Worked great for me. Find the "clear pufa in 30 days" thread for more info.

Emstar1892

Worked great for me. Find the "clear pufa in 30 days" thread for more info.

Hmm can you tell me more about what you did? I had a look at the thread :) mostly I'm interested in your food frequencies - were you able to thrive on three meals a day? Or did you need food energy often?

Zachs

I ate a lot, 3k a day. Usually just two to three big meals.

thegiantess

This is essentially how I used to eat before I started reading about nutrition. I just went with my gut instincts. I ate lots of fat free starches like tortillas and pasta. I also ate a lot of fat free tomato sauce, a lot of veg, a lot of fruit, tons of gummy candies, a fair amount of coffee... Oh and I was in my early twenties so tons and tons of beer. For some reason I picked 10 as the magic number of fat grams I was allowed to have every day and never ate more than that. I was very thin. No health problems, but hey, I was really young! I ate a lot of food for my size. I'm 5'7'' female and I ate around 3k calories a day. Of course I did a lot of walking.. Probably about 40 miles a week. Good luck!

When I'm at 1-2 grams a day my knee really aches, and aspirin stops this...

Emstar1892

Interesting. Maybe it's just me. I just can't do three meals a day without fats. I have to have something, even just fruit or juice! But never nothing...it's a shame because I think its an awesome regimen in principle

Interesting. Maybe it's just me. I just can't do three meals a day without fats. I have to have something, even just fruit or juice! But never nothing...it's a shame because I think its an awesome regimen in principle

Using skim milk and sugar I can barely get a sane amount of calories by drinking constantly, and when I forget basically I turn into an ice cube.

And at least one of my tonsils hurts all the time :shifty:

tara

Perhaps it was calories? Perhaps it was food frequency?
I'm picking these. :)

If you just removed the fat from an already low-calorie diet, that could well explain your trouble with it.
I would not recommend such a low fat experiment for someone who needs and is struggling to get in enough calories.

Emstar1892

I'm picking these. :)

If you just removed the fat from an already low-calorie diet, that could well explain your trouble with it.
I would not recommend such a low fat experiment for someone who needs and is struggling to get in enough calories.

Yes, I agree Tara. Although now I eat around 2600, but that makes things difficult in a different way - I think this kind of diet would be much easier with more time spent at home, so one could have/make heaps and heaps of carbs whenever wanted. At work I find it impossible. I know we've touched on this on another thread - but to go so low in fat requires PILES of carbs, and without a fridge/storage space/hours of prep, I can't seem to make it work at my office. Sigh! If anyone does manage to make it somehow work, do let me know :) haha

Just putting it into context, say I go even just 75% carbs, that's 490 grams of carbs. Fruit all day doesn't satisfy me so I guess that would be...endless boxes of rice?!

James_001

I ate a lot, 3k a day. Usually just two to three big meals.

I don't get how people can eat low fat. I eat around 4k with moderate fat, and maintain a lean body. I can't imagine how hungry I would be on low fat.....

tara

I know we've touched on this on another thread - but to go so low in fat requires PILES of carbs, and without a fridge/storage space/hours of prep, I can't seem to make it work at my office.
Yes, we did touch on it. :) I think this might be a good reason not to try going so low fat for now. Also, if your system is very depleted, as I suspect, you may have some need for eating fats to help restore yourself, even if you could get enough calories from carbs. Maybe there will be a time in the future when you have conditions to support such an experiment.

Just putting it into context, say I go even just 75% carbs, that's 490 grams of carbs. Fruit all day doesn't satisfy me so I guess that would be...endless boxes of rice?!
Sweetened condensed milk. Sweetened fruit juice jellies. Dates. Potatoes. :)

Luann

This is essentially how I used to eat before I started reading about nutrition. I just went with my gut instincts. I ate lots of fat free starches like tortillas and pasta. I also ate a lot of fat free tomato sauce, a lot of veg, a lot of fruit, tons of gummy candies, a fair amount of coffee... Oh and I was in my early twenties so tons and tons of beer. For some reason I picked 10 as the magic number of fat grams I was allowed to have every day and never ate more than that. I was very thin. No health problems, but hey, I was really young! I ate a lot of food for my size. I'm 5'7'' female and I ate around 3k calories a day. Of course I did a lot of walking.. Probably about 40 miles a week. Good luck!

This sounds so much like little kid me!!! I pretty much lived off apples apple juice and green beans (my favrits) and HATED chips, ham, and nuts. Refused lot of cookies and treats because they had nuts in them.

Fat has 9 g of kcal opposed to sugar and protein at 4 gram. So what Tara said, that taking fat out of a lowcal diet would not feel good, is true!!

DawN

I think the chasing for lower and lower amount of daily fat intake won't help anyone. 50g was mentioned, to me it seems like that would be a very good starting point and then going lower till about 20-30g daily. I could imagine this would be an optimal amount for making starches palatable and taking all the positive effects of a long-term reduced fat intake.

Marcus1000

Yes, I agree Tara. Although now I eat around 2600, but that makes things difficult in a different way - I think this kind of diet would be much easier with more time spent at home, so one could have/make heaps and heaps of carbs whenever wanted. At work I find it impossible. I know we've touched on this on another thread - but to go so low in fat requires PILES of carbs, and without a fridge/storage space/hours of prep, I can't seem to make it work at my office. Sigh! If anyone does manage to make it somehow work, do let me know :) haha

For me, the way, is: skim chocolate milk and tons of wheat bread! When I go to school you can recognise me if you see someone with a big bag of 20 sandwiches standing somewhere :D

Marcus1000

I think the chasing for lower and lower amount of daily fat intake won't help anyone. 50g was mentioned, to me it seems like that would be a very good starting point and then going lower till about 20-30g daily. I could imagine this would be an optimal amount for making starches palatable and taking all the positive effects of a long-term reduced fat intake.
I don't know why, but, 50g feels much much worse to me than like 20-25g :arghh:. I get slow/brain fogged already around 50g :hungover:. I thought maybe something is wrong with one of my organs, but they did blood tests and echo on my liver/gallbladder and said they saw no problems :pompous:.

The_xXx

I don't know why, but, 50g feels much much worse to me than like 20-25g :arghh:. I get slow/brain fogged already around 50g :hungover:. I thought maybe something is wrong with one of my organs, but they did blood tests and echo on my liver/gallbladder and said they saw no problems :pompous:.
i ve red an article where it says that additional fat will not digested and stay in arteries and feed the bacteria, candida or what ever this will leed to brain fog groggynies etc. I think its true to some Individuals i ve also experienced this. For e. g. im eating very low fat for 4 days like 10 til 15 gram fat max and then i start eat some cheese sandwhiches and urgently about 30 min later i feel tired brain fogged and what ever

johnwester130

it would be fairly easy

salted sourdough bread (a zero fat food) toasted with some coconut oil
skimmed milk
0% yoghurt
fruit products
occasional liver/oyster

johnwester130

Hey everyone, long time reader of Peat but first time on here. So I did a quick search and as far as I can tell, I didn't find anything on here about my question.

Back in the day (1938) William Brown volunteered to go on an extremely low fat diet for 6 months and "he experienced an absence of fatigue, his high blood pressure returned to normal, and migraines he had suffered from since childhood vanished, his metabolic rate increased and he lost weight, his respiratory quotient increased suggesting greater carbohydrate oxidation."
Sign In

Many of you have probably seen this study. Well my question is, if one hypothetically wanted to experiment with a diet like this, what do you think is a good way to replicate it? Brown's diet was most specially-skimmed milk, cottage cheese made from that milk, orange juice, a biscuit made from potato starch, and supplements. I know that probably sounds a little nuts and very restrictive but I thought it might be interesting to try for a little while to see how I feel and to try to low endogenous PUFA.

I guess my main questions are:
-Does anyone know how you would defat skim milk more than it already is? (Or any food for that matter) Boil it and skim the fat?
-How would I incorporate fat-soluble vitamins and with what oil? From the sounds of it they used mineral oil but that doesnt seem healthy to me. WHO considers it a carcinogen I think.
-Is potato starch / corn starch fine to eat by itself in that quantity as long as its cooked? Potato starch crepes or something.
-Anyone know of a good source of bio-available complete vitamins mixes to prevent deficiencies? I've checked out a lot of the available powders but they all have something I don't like (omega 3s a lot of times, all the "vitamin A" as beta-carotene, etc.)

I know its kinda a long one, so thanks for reading and for any help.

masa harina fried in coconut oil
low fat fish
skim milk with gelatin
fat free cottage cheese
fruit

add in salt as needed. would be better than the post above

k2 supplementation too

Ulysses

I've been eating at most 20 grams of fat per day, under 10 most days, for almost a week, and have yet to observe any ill effects. On the contrary, I seem to have more energy and a much clearer head.

The biggest challenge for me is getting adequate salt without some kind of starchy food to serve as a base. My current compromise is a bowl of oatmeal in the morning, which I salt and sugar liberally.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals