Low-fat Vs Low-carb? Major Study Concludes: It Doesn’t Matter For Weight Loss

Mito

A major new randomized clinical trial (RCT) on low-fat vs. low-carb diets — Effect of Low-Fat vs. Low-Carbohydrate Diet on 12-Month Weight Loss in Overweight Adults and the Association with Genotype Pattern or Insulin Secretion.

This study is notable due to its large group of participants, long duration (12 months), and careful dietary monitoring. Furthermore, it was partially funded by NuSI, an organization co-founded by low-carb advocates.

This is notable, since NuSI was co-founded by Gary Taubes, a prominent low-carb advocate and champion of the carbohydrate-insulin hypothesis of obesity.

The results of this study contribute to a large body of evidence indicating that, for weight loss, neither low-fat nor low-carb is superior (as long as there’s no difference in caloric intake or protein intake).

The bottom line

When it comes to weight loss, neither a low-fat diet nor a low-carb diet is inherently superior.

Neither insulin production nor a person’s genetics has any notable effect on weight-loss success or failure.

Choose an eating style that fits your food preferences, health goals, lifestyle. Most importantly, choose an eating style you can sustain.

Low-fat vs low-carb? Major study concludes: it doesn’t matter for weight loss

Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss in Overweight Adults

One day I'll fund a study where I'll feed people pure fruit vs. pure steamed/boiled potato, vs. pure avocado (mufa), vs. pure nuts (pufa and mufa) vs. pure coconut, vs. pure dairy cream, with it adjusted to a diet that is around 2k calories while getting enough of the micronutrients and they would be controlled in a facility with access to low stress activities and sunshine and peace and quite. I believe the results will show that the fatty foods are more easily converted into body fat/adipose tissue vs the fruit and starch. This would be expensive but it would be the ultimate study to end all the debate and myths. While we're at it, we might as well throw pure protein in the mix.

Vinero

One day I'll fund a study where I'll feed people pure fruit vs. pure steamed/boiled potato, vs. pure avocado (mufa), vs. pure nuts (pufa and mufa) vs. pure coconut, vs. pure dairy cream, with it adjusted to a diet that is around 2k calories while getting enough of the micronutrients and they would be controlled in a facility with access to low stress activities and sunshine and peace and quite. I believe the results will show that the fatty foods are more easily converted into body fat/adipose tissue vs the fruit and starch. This would be expensive but it would be the ultimate study to end all the debate and myths. While we're at it, we might as well throw pure protein in the mix.
But nobody in the real world eats only fruit. Or only pure boiled potato, or pure nuts etc. What happens when you mix all of those foodgroups as in a regular meal? What happens then? What is the most fattening fuel in that situation? Either way a low-carb diet or low-fat diet will make you hypothyroid because you are undereating/lack of calories. A low-carb diet is probably magnitudes worse though.

Last edited:

paymanz

Been watching a documentary by bbc, one of the researchers they interviewed with,paul kenny, said something interesting ,he said we couldn't make rats to eat excess calories unless we mix sugar and fat in same meal.
49:00
Horizon_-_2013-2014_Sugar_v_Fat - Video Dailymotion

Denis minger also has article on this subject, she uses term carbosis and ketosis , with either one having some benefits but when you mix fat and carb thing go wrong.

They call it caffee terria diet.

schultz

Did they happen to check for muscle loss? I guess I'll read the paper and find out...

11.7lbs in the carb group and 13.2lbs in the low fat group is not really an impressive loss considering they were on the diet for 12 months and were eating under 1700 calories. I have just lost 33.3 lbs in 5 months eating around 2,200-2,400 calories, and I took at least 4 weeks off during that time. I haven't even been exercising either. Heck it says their baseline calories was only 2,200 or so, which is the amount I am using to lose weight lol. Though I suppose half the group is women.

Presumably both groups were releasing similar fatty acids from from their fat stores into their blood stream.

Last edited:

Wagner83

I don't understand why people and science give such a foremost importance to weightloss, there are so many more interesting markers of health and yet weightloss takes 90% of the stage. I guess the fact so many people are overweight in the US is a reason. What happens to these guys when they switch to European or Japanese foods, live in different countries? How were the insulin resistance and brain function of both groups? Was the low-fat group on a low-fat diet or was it fed fat from its adipose tissue like Schultz suggested? In the end I don't pick a side, I couldn't care less, but a more interesting question than "who lost 1kg more" would be "what is sustainable and better for overall health in the long-term?"

Giocondi

I don't understand why people and science give such a foremost importance to weightloss, there are so many more interesting markers of health and yet weightloss takes 90% of the stage. "

Out of curiosity are you considered overweight by modern standards (BMI)? Or have you been heavy for a decent part of your life? I would guess the hyper focus on weight as a health marker is a learned one from our environment. Being heavy is not fun and is what drives people to desperation, feeds the diet and supplement industry and a whole lot of other dillusional endeavors. They are taught form a young age something is wrong with them if they are heavy so as they grow up that becomes center stage in their life. People are congratulated for being thin/beautiful/rich regardless of what it took (a lot or nothing at all) to get there. We can't understand why we see so many others with blatant disregard for the current science supporting health and nutrition, yet look amazing. These people who eat fast food and cookies and anything else in sight with 12% bodyfat. People who have beautiful muscular definition with sporadic workout "routines." I can't speak for everyone but is comes down to learned helplessness and extreme confusion. I mean what other topic on this damn planet can have so many resources being poured into it and yet there is hardly a clearly defined answer as to how people can just live their damn life at an acceptable bodyweight, so we can take our shirt off at the pool or fit into whatever type of clothes we want. For many of us, excess fat is our Demon and we are hell bent on beating it.

Last edited:

Wagner83

It's one demon, I've never been close to overweight and it didn't prevent me from feeling like crap. I agree it matters but it's not the end all be all cure or health marker.

Giocondi

It's one demon, I've never been close to overweight and it didn't prevent me from feeling like crap. I agree it matters but it's not the end all be all cure or health marker.

Let me clarify, I 100% agree with you that it is such an idiotic and shallow view of health. I was just giving my view on the "why do we care so much about weight" question.

Wagner83

Let me clarify, I 100% agree with you that it is such an idiotic and shallow view of health. I was just giving my view on the "why do we care so much about weight" question.
No worries I didn't have any problems with what you said either.

I don't believe these studies. They are just too hard to do with guided recall questionnaires. The only ones that are valid are done in an institutional setting.

Vinero

Weight loss from a specific diet isn't a sign of the healthiness of a diet. I could lose weight easily by going on an all-meat diet. I will lose a bunch of weight, but what's the point?
I haven't become any healthier by doing so.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals