Weight Loss Club

J

j.

I noticed antimetabolic effects I think like 4 months after eating a ton of them every day. So a few days might be ok.

OP
Peata

Peata

Still at that same # as yesterday.

I had 1600 calories. I meant to go higher than that but my appetite hasn't been huge. I don't feel ill, I feel good and I actually intended to eat more, but by the end of the day I've had my fill. Even though I thought I was gonna stay away from ice cream, I've been wanting it, and having a cup of chocolate ice cream about mid-afternoon. So far so good.

ILTS, I weigh myself pretty much every morning when I'm in "weight-loss mode". I track it in cronometer.

Congrats on the good skin. I love that "side effect" of this woe. Mine is looking its best too, but I do eat some starch.

I've also been eating some canned peaches here and there. It's great with some cottage cheese or any cheese, really.

HDD

I weigh daily because I need to know if I am continuing to gain. It has been over a year since I began eating for metabolism/nutrition and I need to discipline myself some now. In the beginning, I did not care about the weight. Now I want both good health and a weight I feel is good for my frame. I hope to get back into some clothes I no longer can wear.

I went over 2000 calories yesterday but with my 15 minute exercise routine, I was under. I did a few girlie pushups, a few squats, lunges, weights and danced. Haha All in the kitchen.

Dr. Ray Peat: I'm not sure who introduced the term "aerobic" to describe the state of anaerobic metabolism that develops during stressful exercise, but it has had many harmful repercussions. In experiments, T3 production is stopped very quickly by even "sub-aerobic" exercise, probably becaue of the combination of a decrease of blood glucose and an increase in free fatty acids. In a healthy person, rest will tend to restore the normal level of T3, but there is evidence that even very good athletes remain in a hypothyroid state even at rest. A chronic increase of lactic acid and cortisol indicates that something is wrong. The "slender muscles" of endurance runners are signs of a catabolic state, that has been demonstrated even in the heart muscle. A slow heart beat very strongly suggests hypothyroidism. Hypothyroid people, who are likely to produce lactic acid even at rest, are especially susceptible to the harmful effects of "aerobic" exercise. The good effect some people feel from exercise is probably the result of raising the body temperature; a warm bath will do the same for people with low body temperature.

I wonder what would be sub aerobic? Swimming? Dancing?

HDD

"Exercise, like aging, obesity, and diabetes, increases the levels of circulating free fatty acids and lactate. But ordinary activity of an integral sort, activates the systems in an organized way, increasing carbon dioxide and circulation and efficiency. Different types of exercise have been identified as destructive or reparative to the mitochondria; "concentric" muscular work is said to be restorative to the mitochondria. As I understand it, this means contraction with a load, and relaxation without a load. The heart's contraction follows this principle, and this could explain the observation that heart mitochondria don't change in the course of ordinary aging."
(my bold)
How do you contract with a load and relax without? Is a bicep curl an example?

Squats? Pushups? Would these be good "concentric" exercises?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Haagendazendiane said:
I wonder what would be sub aerobic? Swimming? Dancing?

I would think anything that does not make you get out of breathe, and/or not able to breathe through your nose.

OP
Peata

Peata

I kept that pound I lost off for several days by eating 1500-1600 cal per day (not on purpose really, just wasn't that hungry) but on the day I had 2000 calories (net, after a little exercise), I gained the pound back.

Hopefully when my body gets used to this little bit of exercise I'm doing (gentle walking nightly 15 - 30 min. and pushups), maybe I'll start losing.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

HDD

I am pretty sure I have gained back some of the weight I lost when I was sick.

I lose routines on the weekends due to work, eating out, and family activity.

I am wrestling with "no potatoes". I do really love french fries made in coconut oil and so does my family. I feel satiated when I have them. I suppose I could give them up for a while to see if I can get rid of some junk in the trunk.

Happy to hear you are having success, BB!

Peata, are you exercising every day? I haven't for several days now. I need to get back at it.

OP
Peata

Peata

Diane, I started walking at nights this week and doing some push-ups and dips most everyday. It's not a lot, but it's more than I was doing.

That pound I gained back is gone again. Maybe my body is going through an adjustment with the new exercise.

I don't know, I think if it were me I'd keep the potatoes if it's something I love and can digest well. Is there any other starch in your diet you can remove instead?

Bluebell

I'd keep those potatoes too, if i loved them Diane! (they do sound lush, I haven't tried french fries in coconut oil)

I think it's good to keep the foods you love esp. if they are Peaty.

I'm just shoving everything onto cronometer, and eat anything I want as long as it stays below 1800-2000 total (net after subtracting exercise calories). I'm enjoying ice cream every night at the mo. :)

OP
Peata

Peata

Ooh, you must make french fries in refined coconut oil sometime, BB. So good, a great carrier for salt (and ketchup!) Wash them down with Coke.

I love potatoes. Just made potato soup. Glad potatoes are in this woe.

I'm basically doing like you with cronometer, BB. I just try to make sure my protein is up and certain nutrients are met (such as calcium) and things, and enjoy what I want. I have ice cream regularly too.

OP
Peata

Peata

I gained a few pounds overnight earlier this week, but I know something is going on with hormones. That fact only makes it a little easier to bear, but I just shrug and go on. I know I'll deflate eventually. I did lose one of the pounds at least.

On the exercise side of things, I've been doing "girly" pushups and dips. I can tell I'm getting a little stronger. I can now do 20 pushups the first round and 10 the second round. Probably doesn't seem like a lot to most people, but I hadn't been doing any exercise at all. My goal is to get where I was in my early 30s - doing "manly" pushups and having nice toned arms.

How's everyone else?

Bluebell

Hi everyone! Well my weight stayed the same this week (compared to 1 week ago).

I still think I am going to stick to 1800-2000 calories at least for another week and see how it goes, if I don't lose next week then maybe I'll reduce them a bit. Health is the most important thing.

Peata, yes, you will get there!

I'm doing some walking each day (20-40 minutes), & a bit of weights or situps. Girly push-ups, of course, you mean there is another kind?! ;)

Bluebell

How's everyone doing?! :)

Anyone here?
Tumbleweed.gif

I lost a pound this week. :shock:

OP
Peata

Peata

WTG, Bluebell!

I was doing fine until I puffed up 4# of water weight. Just waiting for things to settle down.

Do you think it's become easier to keep calories at or below 2000?

HDD

That is great, Bluebell!

I have been going up and down with my weight. No loss but no gain either. So, for now, I will be happy not gaining.

I ate all the good cheese and bought cottage cheese this week. Hopefully, this will make a difference.

I think my love of fries and cheese is probably a salt craving. I don't crave sugar anymore. I really don't miss ice cream. I like it but I prefer fries and cheese now.

I stopped using cronometer so I don't know what my daily calories have been. I need to start that again along with exercise. I got lax on everything. :(

OP
Peata

Peata

Haagendazendiane said:
That is great, Bluebell!

I have been going up and down with my weight. No loss but no gain either. So, for now, I will be happy not gaining.

I ate all the good cheese and bought cottage cheese this week. Hopefully, this will make a difference.

I think my love of fries and cheese is probably a salt craving. I don't crave sugar anymore. I really don't miss ice cream. I like it but I prefer fries and cheese now.

I stopped using cronometer so I don't know what my daily calories have been. I need to start that again along with exercise. I got lax on everything. :(

That's great that you're maintaining.

When you say you don't crave sugar, you don't mean that you don't eat it or add it to foods though, right? You just mean you don't go after stuff like ice cream anymore?

As far as getting lax, we all do that from time to time.

HDD

I still use sugar/honey, oj, and fruits, I just don't have the desire for sweet as much. I don't want ice cream at night now. I put sugar in my coffee but have cut back on amount because it seemed too sweet to add the amount I had been using which was a Tbsp. I have been eating a lot of watermelon that I salt. I used to think it was strange that people would salt watermelon, but I really like the taste now. If I have mexi coke or pepsi throwback, I am satisfied with a small glass.

I just made the chocolate bark a few days ago, so I guess I still am getting my sugar fix. ;)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals