Weight Loss Club

Bluebell

Keep going Peata you are bound to lose it if you keep the cals down! It's probably hormonal as you say or water weight.

Yes I think it's key that if we are having high sugar we should keep fat down.

The way I feel at the mo is that lower calories and keeping fat down is the most important.

I'm still having quite a bit of fat though, around 50g a day, but I try and avoid excess for example I'm avoiding cream and butter now whereas before I didn't (cos they are delish).

I'm doing OK, actually eating a bit less than 2000 today. Enjoying SS milk very much with sugar.

Bluebell

Update from me - lost 1/2 pound.

I was wondering, what kind of BMI are you guys going for?

Right now I am 22.5 BMI, but I have a small bone structure.

Before Peat I used to be 19.8 BMI. I thought that's what I wanted to go back to, but I'm kind of in two minds about it now, maybe I'll just lose around 7 pounds or so and call it a day then.

OP
Peata

Peata

WTG, Bluebell!

Period is ending, and I am down a pound on the scale, but that just puts me back where I was when I started last week. I'm doing well with keeping calories under 2000 but I could stand to get exercise. Just haven't got myself motivated for that part of it yet.

I haven't really thought about BMI that much. I just know what weight range I want to be in. I'm about 7# or so away. I used to have a "vanity weight" that I would get down to when dieting if I was ambitious enough, but I really don't care about getting down there again, I just want my old normal "set-point" weight, which looked healthy and good on me.

HDD

That's great Bluebell!

My weight is fluctuating up and down. Not gaining, but no noticeable loss.

My bmi is 23.3 and myfitnesspal says that is in ok range along with weight. Like you, I have small bones and my extra weight is not distributed evenly.

I think if I eat more fruit it might help to not eat more fatty foods. I have been having some tasty watermelon lately with salt.

I picked up some Gouda and Edam cheese. Cottage cheese didn't even cross my mind. Not good. I definitely need to exercise self control with the cheese.

HDD

Squash, zucchini, cooked peppers, onions, some tomato... I think some of these are considered fruit.

Bluebell

A little bit of veg to cook along with other things, just onion and tomato.

I am increasing my fruit, and got a watermelon too. Only thing is the fruit is not brilliant in the UK, it is not that sweet sometimes. So I am adding sugar to it, I hope that is OK.

Vanity-wise, I think I'd like to lose only from my tummy. Any of you wise girls got a good plan to do that? :)

montmorency

Bluebell said:
Update from me - lost 1/2 pound.

I was wondering, what kind of BMI are you guys going for?

Right now I am 22.5 BMI, but I have a small bone structure.

Before Peat I used to be 19.8 BMI. I thought that's what I wanted to go back to, but I'm kind of in two minds about it now, maybe I'll just lose around 7 pounds or so and call it a day then.

It probably just says what a fatty I am, but to me, 22.5 BMI sounds awfully lean, and 19.8 would seem positively skinny. However, I gather that you are a lady, and I am a fairly broadly built man, so perhaps my BMI scale needs to be calibrated slightly higher.

Anyway, for the moment, I'm ignoring the scale (and therefore BMI) and just worrying about the all-too-obvious visceral fat (to use the polite name). I think I had started to reduce it by cutting back severely on fat, but just recently, have discovered the joys of ice-cream making, so that might torpedo the anti-fat campaign until the novelty wears off.

Oh dear, I ache to be lean - something I haven't really been since my early 20s. I fear it's an unrealistic ambition at my age, but I think at least losing obvious fat is more realistic and not a bad goal.

Bluebell

Welcome montmorency! :D The more join the better, hopefully we can keep each other motivated ;)

Yes I reckon the BMI is a pretty imperfect measurement especially if you have a small frame. I was quite slender before though. Now I'd like to get back towards that but with health as my #1 priority. It's a different kind of weight loss on Peat because there's no going for long periods without eating, and no hard exercise. Slow and steady I reckon.

Oh ice cream, yes I daren't buy one of those makers that would be dangerous. It would be really good with raw cream & real strawberries :D

OP
Peata

Peata

Has anyone else lost any weight? Our group has been kind of quiet, so I'm thinking nobody has good news to report. Myself included.

I am stuck at this one number on the scale. But as long as my temps and all stay good, I'm still keeping the calories under 2000. Actually today was at 1500, but I'm not going to go that low very often. I just thought it might help jump-start something and I wasn't that hungry today anyway.

It's become easier to keep the calories under 2000, and I wasn't sure that would be the case on Peat. I still haven't got any exercise going, so I need to work on that next.

Well, hope to hear you all are doing well as we start a new week.

J

j.

It's easier to go for a long time without eating if you don't have PUFA in your tissues.

HDD

I have not lost any weight, I think I might have gained a little. :(

I had some issues with the 1% milk from a different store, so I have been drinking more whole milk. The cheeses I have currently are too good to not eat. I wish I was like some of the men on this forum that can consume 3000+ calories.

I did not log foods over the weekend so no idea on calories.

Exercise will probably be key since I do not want to give up certain foods. Getting a good routine is important for me in this area. Deciding when and what. Different times I have gone to a gym with friends or walked/ran with others. On my own, I don't have the motivation. At one time I used videos and I would work out before dinner most afternoons. I think I will commit to doing something before dinner at least 4 days a week.

OP
Peata

Peata

Diane, that's exactly my problem with exercise - on my own I can't find the motivation, at least not to keep it up over the long haul. Maybe we can help motivate here, by checking in on our progress.

Several years ago I was in probably the best shape of my adult life. I had toned arms, and I'd like to get those back. I was doing a lot of push-ups. That's a place I can start.

Bluebell

Still here! Not much to report, I haven't weighed myself again since last time. I'm eating as much as I want up to 2000 calories, and making an effort not to go below 1800 either.

I'm walking every day, I reckon that's the easiest way, just make the exercise really simple. Tell yourself you'll get out and walk for 5 minutes minimum every day, then it often turns into more. Also lifting some weights is easy if you just get some 5lb dumbells and have them at home, do a few curls or dips, some sit ups, some leg lifts.

ilovethesea

Do you all weigh yourself every day? I don't do that, I just go by how well my clothes fit. (Like I said, I'm really bad with keeping track of anything number related like scales or Cronometer entries :)

Right now I am experimenting with having no starch at all and unlimited fruit as my carb source. Before I was having potatoes and masa harina. Now I just have cherries, grapes, peaches, plums. It has only been a week so I haven't noticed any weight loss yet but I did notice my skin is looking wonderful (no breakouts at all even during PMS time, less oily and just more even and nice looking). I am still eating a lot of cheese and coconut oil though so that may be stopping my weight loss efforts. Other than that I am just having gelatin, shrimp, carrot salad, eggs and coconut oil "chocolates.' I'm finding it's harder to fill up on just fruit though so I feel like I'm eating all the time.

Anyway hopefully this will be the trick to losing weight as I love the skin side effect.

I haven't been very active lately. I like Bluebell's suggestion of just walking. I'm coming from a couple years of overtraining so I've been afraid to put my body through any exercise stress at all while I"m healing.

J

j.

Peaches, for me, seemed to be antimetabolic after eating tons of them every day for months. They're considered goitrogenic in some publications.

ilovethesea

Ugh, that's no good. The fruit season is so short here in Canada and cherries are starting to get expensive again, so I thought I'd buy the peaches since they were local and in season. It gets a bit boring just having cherries and grapes so I was trying to mix it up.

Not looking forward to a winter of 8 months of imported oranges...