Peatist Losers [Weight Loss]

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks so much Blossom...I learned a New Skill (figured out how to access my labs online) so I took screen shots and posted them over in that forum.

Gosh, Technology AND Organization....what a concept.
Great! I'm so impressed. I hope you get some helpful feedback on your labs.

Peater Piper

Haha I love your posts lol! Congrats on being carded! I wish I could get my heart rate below 90 during the day!! Seriously beginning of the day my resting pulse is usually over 100 going up when standing or walking around. And this can cause panic attacks. Sounds like your health is just fine without having the 'normal' heart rate of 80. I'd rather be below 80 than above 100.
Sounds similar to me, though even more exaggerated. Do your tootsies get chilled, or do you break out in sweats? This study showed adrenaline and noradrenaline were doubled on a high sugar diet compared to a high fat or high starch diet:

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v21/n10/pdf/0800494a.pdf

Adrenaline can also be released due to endotoxin influx. I believe I have h. pylori or sibo very high up in the small intestine. Too much sugar (from fruit or fruit juice) hammers my heart rate and blood pressure shortly after consumption.

Peater Piper

Yeah, I've tried some gentler approaches without much success, and Doxy last year for Lyme was of no benefit to my intestines. I'd like to know specifically what I'm dealing with to tailor my approach, but the only doctor I could find that would actually test for sibo/h. pylori wanted to do an endoscopy and colonoscopy with biopsies. F that!

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

I learned a New Skill (figured out how to access my labs online)
Well, since they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks and you seemed to have learned a new trick, it seems there really *is* some basis for that girl carding you the other day. ;) Way to go, Peatowski! Yer livin' my dream. :lol:

Yeah, I've tried some gentler approaches without much success, and Doxy last year for Lyme was of no benefit to my intestines. I'd like to know specifically what I'm dealing with to tailor my approach, but the only doctor I could find that would actually test for sibo/h. pylori wanted to do an endoscopy and colonoscopy with biopsies. F that!

Yep, I ran in to the very same thing.....waaay too invasive!!!

Have you tried the Raw Garlic?

Well, since they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks and you seemed to have learned a new trick, it seems there really *is* some basis for that girl carding you the other day. ;) Way to go, Peatowski! Yer livin' my dream. :lol:

Ha ha Foxy Lady...you totally read my mind....yes indeedy, we Old B*tches CAN learn new tricks.

InChristAlone

Sounds similar to me, though even more exaggerated. Do your tootsies get chilled, or do you break out in sweats? This study showed adrenaline and noradrenaline were doubled on a high sugar diet compared to a high fat or high starch diet:

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v21/n10/pdf/0800494a.pdf

Adrenaline can also be released due to endotoxin influx. I believe I have h. pylori or sibo very high up in the small intestine. Too much sugar (from fruit or fruit juice) hammers my heart rate and blood pressure shortly after consumption.
Yes when my adrenaline is high my feet go cold. Thanks for that study, I had analyzed it a while ago and just threw my arms up and said argh! I don't want to stop my sugary foods! But I think I am more stress free when I do more starches over sugars. Although I have noticed starches can send my blood sugar crashing more than sugar in the morning. Because insulin sensitivity is greatest in the morning. And this is typically when I get the heart rate and shortness of breath problems. I am fine and dandy as the day progresses.

I really want to try the turpentine! But I am still nursing and I really don't want to subject my son to any die off reactions.

Peater Piper

Have you tried garlic?
I used garlic to cure strep throat a couple of years ago. When I tried it again recently I couldn't get it down without retching. When I used it for strep, it was mixed in with honey, which hid a lot of the flavor. I didn't even think to try that again this last time, when I tried to do a garlic shot. That garlic breath though, gosh!

I really want to try the turpentine! But I am still nursing and I really don't want to subject my son to any die off reactions.
Yeah, that complicates things. I'm not sure why you'd have a bad reaction early in the day then improve as the day goes on.

I find that raw garlic and raw honey combined make for a sublimely delicious sort of medicine. I wonder if chewing mint leaves would help with the garlic breath? I don't know...I spend most of my days working alone, so it's not an issue here.

I'm QUITE fond of raw local honey. So much so, that My Beloved gifted me a Flow Hive.....no bees yet, tho.

I need to find the ideal remote pristine plot of land and eventually relocate....my second (and ultimate) reason for the Bus Tour.

Although I have noticed starches can send my blood sugar crashing more than sugar in the morning. Because insulin sensitivity is greatest in the morning. And this is typically when I get the heart rate and shortness of breath problems. I am fine and dandy as the day progresses.

I'm no expert, but this sounds like your liver is struggling to store glycogen and/or regulate your blood sugar. Have you tried taking a bit of sat fat with your preferred source of carbs?

I personally stay on a more even keel with a steady supply of carbs, fats and protein eaten together.....but especially fat, carbs (OJ) with extra magnesium taken at bedtime for proper sleep.

This is only my opinion.

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

I wonder if chewing mint leaves would help with the garlic breath?
Problem with garlic is after a few days it comes out your pores. There is no masking *that*. :grumpy:

My mother (who has a nose like a bloodhound) told me one day not long ago that she caught a whiff of pine on me. :lol:

she caught a whiff of pine on me

Wafting of Pine-Sol is definitely preferable to brimstone.

I have a question:

Is there really such a thing as "good" gut flora?

Or is that merely a marketing scheme to sell pills (especially pricey "practitioner" versions) to desperate peeps with digestive issues???

Sheesh....if my mother knew that I drink turpentine....there'd be Fire N' Brimstone Fo Sho!!!

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

Is there really such a thing as "good" gut flora?
I think there is. Evidence for this being the benefits of fecal transplants in people with virulent gut infections like c.diff. People recover from c.diff after a fecal transplant from a healthy donor. Even if you don't believe a lot of the research coming out now about gut flora and the immune system, it's demonstrable anecdotally. Usually the reason something like c.diff can take hold is when the entire microbiome has been killed off by repeated bouts of antibiotics over a long period of time. Or shorter period of time and stronger bouts of abx. Point being that abx kills off everything. So if bad bacteria finds its way into a clean gut that's been carpet-bombed with abx, there's nothing good in there to combat it, unless exogenous measures (like fecal transplants or probiotics) recolonize the gut with more beneficial bacteria.

There are also anecdotes of people getting fat or losing weight after fecal transplants. I read something a while back about a lifelong thin woman who got fat after receiving a fecal transplant from her overweight daughter. Read similar stories about people losing weight. So the good effects from bacteria seem to be just as real as the bad.

I also believe there are good bacteria because speaking from common sense, it simply isn't practical to have a sterile gut. We're surrounded by bacteria. There is no way to avoid it, or avoid ingesting it. If it was all bad we'd all be in terrible shape. There has to be something else that counterbalances it.

My personal speculation is that while the bacterial strains in commercial probiotics might not be all that beneficial unto themselves, they may create an environment in the gut that promotes the colonization of our guts with other beneficial bacteria from our environments, while also creating an environment that is not conducive to the over-colonization of bad bacteria. My experiences with probiotics have been overall good. I experienced a big uptick in physical energy when I started experimenting heavily with them a couple years ago.

IMO a lot of the problems or lack of results with commercial probiotics is probably because most commercial strains are transient. They don't colonize the gut, although they do things while they're passing through. In order to reap benefits you have to keep taking them for a while. And maybe they don't work or even cause problems if there's already a preponderance of baddies in the gut...because commercial strains are transient, they maybe can't "get ahead" if they're piled in on top of a big load of bad bacteria.

Plus, even good bacteria make waste products (endotoxins), which really aren't good for us. Even the good guys gotta poop! :p And they also have a finite lifespan, creating more waste when they die. This may be why adding probiotics onto an already dysbiotic gut doesn't always work in our favor, especially in the long term, and why scientists like Peat have categorically bad opinions of gut bacteria. More bacteria, even if good, still equals more waste products. If our bodies can't eliminate the waste, it causes problems. I believe this was one of my issues. I got a big uptick in physical energy from using probiotics, but also got a bit of a cognitive hit that seemed to get worse over time, peaking when I started high-sugar/low-fat Peating back in late Spring. Not a good thing if your liver is clogged up, like mine apparently was.

But I also think if one has a nice clean liver and was able to kill the baddies by whatever measure (like with turp, garlic, whatever), then promoting an environment conducive to the colonization of good bacteria might be a really good thing.

In fact, I'm-a fixin' to test this speculation out on my own gut, starting in the next few days. I won't say more until I have something more comprehensive to report. But there's been a lot going on lately. :ninja A little more time will tell what direction the forthcoming report will take. :cool

Last edited:

tara

BTW, congrats on your thyroid victory. BIG DEAL, that. And for a disease that is supposed to never be cured or go into remission, either! :partydance:dance :bravo
+1!

tara

Plus, even good bacteria make waste products (endotoxins), which really aren't good for us. Even the good guys gotta poop! :p And they also have a finite lifespan, creating more waste when they die.
AIUI, the endotoxins are part of teh gram negative bacterial wall, and are only released when they die. Ie they don't manufacture them and pump them out when they are alive. That's why tempporary 'die-off' reactions from anti-bacterial substances can get people.

I wonder if chewing mint leaves would help with the garlic breath?
I've heard chewing parsley can help, but haven''t tried it.

If it were me I'd take the cautious approach and not subject baby to turps.
But wrt endotoxin from die off, you can start with small amounts of garlic so it isn't such an overwhelming all-at-once thing. And then take more after a while if it seems good.
I've heard that garlic can lower blood pressure though, so if you are struggling with blood pressure getting too low, maybe watch out for that.

(Note: I'm not suggesting garlic is recommended by Peat.)

EXCELLENT @whodathunkit....I tend to agree with everything you've said.

Adding in that some gut flora manufacture certain vitamins for us (like K and some B vits....B vits are definitely good for energy production), so yeah a sterile gut isn't optimal either.

But can we get our bugs from the food we're eating? I mean, nothing we put in our mouths is truly sterile...

Do we really need to PAY for certain specific strains, or can we simply scrub our intestinal homes clean and invite new guests to take up space by providing a lovely environment?

I'm so excited about your speculation/testing whoda....but it's September 1st, so you should start TODAY!!!

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

AIUI, the endotoxins are part of teh gram negative bacterial wall, and are only released when they die.
Okay. I'll buy that. I thought any waste product from bacteria was endotoxin, but maybe I was making up nomenclature again. LOL My understanding is that metabolic waste from an overgrowth of bacteria can cause problems, too, though. I don't think it's all just about when gram negative strains die, although I could be wrong since I don't remember when or where I "learned" that, and I acknowledge that toxic bacteria dying is probably the biggest part of the problem. I dunno. As always, just thinking out loud.

I think that all living organisms throw off metabolic waste and those metabolites could definitely be a problem for those with intestinal permeability. Whether said critters are living or dying might not matter iffin your gut is like a sieve....but I could be wrong, I usually am.

P. S. It's also my opinion @whodathunkit that brains are made up of a LOT of fat. Old gals like me who scarfed a sh*t ton of PUFA might (probably does) have plenty of PUFA stored in the poor old brain.

Detoxing that PUFA could result in "symptoms". Saturated fat could be protective at some stage, no?

Last edited:

Jennifer

Okay. I'll buy that. I thought any waste product from bacteria was endotoxin, but maybe I was making up nomenclature again. LOL My understanding is that metabolic waste from an overgrowth of bacteria can cause problems, too, though. I don't think it's all just about when gram negative strains die, although I could be wrong since I don't remember when or where I "learned" that, and I acknowledge that toxic bacteria dying is probably the biggest part of the problem. I dunno. As always, just thinking out loud.
Could you be thinking about our convo regarding acidic metabolic waste, which includes the waste from bacteria and cells eating and pooping, and if these acids aren't effectively removed by our main eliminating organs, they build up in the body and cause degeneration?

From what I understand, waste produced by bacteria is acidic in nature no matter if it's from "good" or "bad" bacteria. However, without them, the lymphatic system (which makes up 80% of intersticial fluid and acts as the body's sewer system) backs up. That's why antibiotics do more harm than good for many people. They suppress the immune system and kill off the needed bacteria in the lymphatic system.* I'm almost positive I saw a quote where Ray said antibiotics were toxic. I remember being shocked when I read it because antibiotics are often suggested on the forum as if they're completely harmless. I'll see if I can find the quote again.

*I didn't learn this from Ray so it may not be aligned with his position on antibiotic treatment.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals