1. 10% Discount At RedLightMan.com For Ray Peat Forum Members!
    Click Here For More Information
    Dismiss Notice

"Biggest Loser" Contestants Regained Weight. Peat Perspective

Discussion in 'Weight' started by francoislinkus, May 2, 2016.

1. thebigpeatowski

thebigpeatowski Member

I don't give a sh*t about what our society thinks, I would never diet for the sake of what someone else thinks.

This is about how I FEEL...my pants don't fit. I have 15 (at least) pairs of vintage Levi's that I cannot physically get my *ss into. My one remaining pair of 501's that do fit are rapidly becoming threadbare because I've been living in them solely for a year and a half. I HATE shopping for clothes and besides it would take forever to find the proper size of vintage American Made 501's....AND I got better things to spend $$$ on.

But you're right, I'm probably insane.

2. tara

tara Moderator

:)

3. Tarmander

Tarmander Member

Haha. Your right, shopping for clothes is pretty bad. Not much I wouldn't do to avoid that.

4. thebigpeatowski

thebigpeatowski Member

NO doubt, clothes shopping would most definitely raise my cortisol and adrenaline to EXCESS....Very UnPeaty. I can just imagine it now: I'd be in the dressing room sweating bullets, filled with anxiety and frustration while cursing Tarmander's name :lol:.

Alright, alright....so crash dieting is stressful and clothes shopping is equally (way more) stressful.

What's a plump girl to do? I need a workable plan and quick before the last threads of my One Pair of 501's completely unravel....

Perhaps I'll go back to what I did in 2014, but without dropping the calories too much. @HDD how long did it take for you to reach 125lbs after your initial gain?

Life is too damn short to spend in dressing rooms.

5. managing

managing Member

What about supplements. We have suggestions of thyroid and caffeine. Any thoughts on topical caffeine?
    WHere the hell did that even come from? OK, maybe "biggest loser" but this thread has moved on, maybe you just didn't read it before posting.

Belly fat is bad. This is a fundamental proposition of RP. And you can feel its negative repercussions, regardless of whether you know a thing about RP or not.

6. managing

managing Member

What about caffeine?

7. managing

managing Member

I am familiar with RP recommending cascara, but I wasn't aware of a connection to cortisol. For me it seems to aggravate asthma symptoms I haven't had for years. Which could be due to reducing cortisol too low perhaps?

8. Birdie

Birdie Member

Oh, I remember the dressing room misery.

The last time I gained weight, enough for misery, was about 3 or 4 years ago.
    And it took me three years to lose that 30 pounds.

I couldn't go back to what I'd been eating at the lower weight since I wanted to keep the Peat ideas.
    That made it even harder because I didn't have the experience to know if it would ever work.
    And I knew I wanted to do it slowly, but it was so hard that way.

9. Tarmander

Tarmander Member

I think you misunderstand me. All you can really control is your intention. If your intention is to lean your liver down, and your measurement is belly fat, I think that is fine. What I think is insane is having a main intention to shrink your adipose tissue organ.

My experience in dealing with people who want to shrink their adipose organ is that under that, eventually the motivation is one of being loved. Maybe this is because of all the happy couples on TV they see on the beach all ripped? I am not sure, it is a constant bombardment that looking good will lead to happiness.

The insanity comes in because in my experience, being loved, and loving in return, has very little to do with adipose size, and a whole lot to do with being happy, comfortable, being in the moment with your family, aka being present and giving attention. I have not seen (not saying they aren't out there) a method that reduces adipose organ size that does not also reduce your ability to do these things. So I think it is INSANE because it is a classic societal trap that says we need MORE of this bad thing to get to a good thing. i.e. more war will lead to peace, more greed will lead to innovation and fairness, going to the doctor more will lead to better health, etc. You are better off just making your intention about having a life filled with more love, way quicker then trying to shrink adipose organ size.

Also, if you are going to use "Fundamental proposition of RP," you should probably quote him in the least.

10. thebigpeatowski

thebigpeatowski Member

I don't watch T.V. and I know for a fact that I am loved and adored, but I get your point. There was a time, many many years ago, when I wasn't okay with the way I looked. My lack of self acceptance lead to some bad choices in partners...even then I still didn't starve myself for affection.

You raise a valid issue for many women though...I'm just too old to give a damn.:p

Less (fat) is MORE.

11. HDD

HDD Member

@thebigpeatowski I can't say for sure how long ...but at around six months I went on a trip that required warmer clothing and I realized my jeans were too big and some no longer uncomfortable. I noticed weight loss on the scale soon after I cut back but I didn't log anything. I was inspired by you to try to lose weight since it wasn't happening on its own. I still have undesirable fat on my upper arms, stomach, and rear end. I think if I did some weight lifting and walked more frequently, this would reduce but I'm in need of motivation. Maybe trying on new bathing suits would get me moving?
    My husbands motivation to lose weight is functional. Recent weight loss has made him a happier man. He is a die hard surfer and when he gets too heavy he is unable to ride his shorter surfboard and has to resort to a long board. This limits his ability as a surfer and is very frustrating for him. He also has less energy , is less productive at work, and has more pain when he is carrying the extra weight. At age 61 he doesn't expect to be ripped but "shredding" is important.

12. thebigpeatowski

thebigpeatowski Member

Yeah, definitely NOT happening on it's own.

OMG NO, no no no...trying on new Bathing Suits??? (breaks in to a full-on sweaty dressing room panic at the very thought)

I walk plenty and occasionally lift heavy stuff (yard work)...not nearly enough tho....and heavy lifting makes me even HUNGRIER.

Thank you so much for sharing....all of this is very VERY TRUE for me too. I feel better with a bit less body fat, more productive, HAPPIER, less aches and pains, etc.

So very admirable....Surfin' at 61.....Simply Stunning.

13. managing

managing Member

Well, thanks for elucidating. I just think projecting yourself into other people's minds like this is likely to lead to misunderstandings.

I think belly fat-estrogen relationship as being a central part of RP is not controversial. Do you think it is?

14. Tarmander

Tarmander Member

Show me some quotes, I'm open.

15. managing

managing Member

I'll take that as a yes. Does anybody else think it (belly fat ~ estrogen) is something that RP is ambiguous about the importance of?

16. Tarmander

Tarmander Member

You can take it however you like. In your previous statement you said "I think belly fat-estrogen relationship as being a central part of RP is not controversial. Do you think it is?" I ask you for some evidence on this. I did a search and I think he mentions abdominal fat once in all of his articles on his website (Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity). So unless you have some quotes by him from interviews that I haven't seen...

Edit: Look, it just sucks when people cheapen his work, which is what I am basically getting at. Taking all of the things he's written and lumping them under belly fat and estrogen is really short sighted. Saying it is central to his work totally pushes aside all the great stuff he has written about sub atomic particles, membranes, quantum theory, and a great deal of other subjects.

17. managing

managing Member

LMAO. No, no it doesn't, any more than mentioning quantum theory pushes aside estrogen. Lighten up.

18. milk_lover

milk_lover Member

19. EIRE24

EIRE24 Member

So what would it be summed up in three sentences?

20. thebigpeatowski

thebigpeatowski Member

1. Reduce stress, PUFA and estrogen at all costs.
    2. Eat densely nutritious food while minding your microbes.
    3. Calm the f*ck down (be creative) and enjoy life.:wink