Preventing Fatty Acid Release

kateb

It seems to me that Dr Peat's general eating and supplementing recommendations are for increasing metabolism but not for weight loss per se. Indeed I am struck by seeing again and again recommendations that help with "blocking the release of stored fatty acids" such as sugar and Niacinamide. And I don't think this means just avoiding PUFA release (how would that be possible to isolate anyway?) but lypolysis in general. I think the recommendations are effective for increasing metabolism and energy but I don't think weight loss can be assumed, indeed it seems to me through further reading that the recommendations are to avoid the release of fatty acids which means avoiding fat loss. That's fine if you don't have extra fat to lose.

I also don't think that it's correct to assume that one first gets their metabolism high and then the weight falls off because 1. The diet and supplements are meant in part to prevent lipolysis and 2. Increased metabolism means increased appetite (in fact traditionally hypothyroid patients have low appetites)

So my question is what am I overlooking? because it seems like many people are looking to lose weight at least as one of their goals and I don't see how that is likely if one is eating and supplementing to both increase metabolism and therefore appetite and to avoid the release of stored fat. I am very impressed with the energy benefits but it seems to me that trying to lose weight doesnt fit into the overall metabolic goals of Pete eating. Given the explicit goal of preventing fatty acid release it would seem highly unusual to lose weight while eating this way. of course a calorie deficit will do that but then one is seeking fatty acid release while also trying to block fatty acid release which is confusing when hungry.

Tarmander

In Peat's articles, how many times does he talk about losing weight?

Not much. He lays out a theory of...well lots of things.

I don't think you are missing anything, you have nailed the basic problem surrounding trying to lose fat while simultaneously blocking fat burning.

Are you interested in creativity? peat writes a lot of interesting stuff about health and creativity.

lampofred

The way to lose fat according to Peat is by building muscle. Muscle burns purely fat at rest, so having a good amount of muscle is the only metabolically non-stressful way to burn fat.

theLaw

VoS Uncoupling Thread

Haidut's Summary Of PUFA

From VOS:

Why would someone be discouraged or encouraged by how long it takes to turnover fatty acids in tissue? The effects of improving CO2 levels in your blood (i.e., improving metabolism) are just as immediate as moving to an altitude of 9,000 feet. You feel each day like you are breathing fresh new air, and an amazing clarity, just as you would at high altitude. Fat deposits melt off of you, and you have great energy, again, just as you would at high altitude.

Why would you care about some imperceptible turnover of fatty acids?

Now, if someone isn't feeling these effects immediately, it just means they haven't yet figured out quite how to do the few simple, practical strategies that Peat advocates, right? Carbon dioxide therapy, red light, small doses of redox balancers every couple hours (niacinamide, thyroid, progesterone and DHEA), sipping a very strong coffee with nonfat milk, and selecting a diet that, in the longer term, minimizes intestinal inflammation, unsaturated fat, and meat devoid of cartilage.

It's really not hard.

from this thread: PUFA Depletion Can (probably) Be Accomplished In 30 Days!

Lucenzo01

I have been taking the last days the famous combo: caffeine, niacinamide and aspirin with each meal and I'm loosing fat. I am curing my gyno too when nothing worked, not even DHT.

OP
K

kateb

In Peat's articles, how many times does he talk about losing weight?

Not much. He lays out a theory of...well lots of things.

I don't think you are missing anything, you have nailed the basic problem surrounding trying to lose fat while simultaneously blocking fat burning.

Are you interested in creativity? peat writes a lot of interesting stuff about health and creativity.
Thanks, wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I feel healthier and increasingly energetic. While fat loss would be nice energy was what I was seeking in this particular way of eating--obviously if I just wanted to be as lean as possible I could stop eating and feel tired and cold. I'm not gaining weight and have high energy so I'm happy. What do you recommend on health and creativity? Sounds interesting and I can see the connection. My concentration is already so much better.

OP
K

kateb

I have been taking the last days the famous combo: caffeine, niacinamide and aspirin with each meal and I'm loosing fat. I am curing my gyno too when nothing worked, not even DHT.
How are you dosing those? Why at meals? Do any of those interfere with sleep? Do you find Niacinamide to make you very hungry? It made me feel great yesterday but also quite hungry, I wonder why.

Tarmander

Thanks, wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I feel healthier and increasingly energetic. While fat loss would be nice energy was what I was seeking in this particular way of eating--obviously if I just wanted to be as lean as possible I could stop eating and feel tired and cold. I'm not gaining weight and have high energy so I'm happy. What do you recommend on health and creativity? Sounds interesting and I can see the connection. My concentration is already so much better.

I do not recommend much, but I like Ray's stuff on the connection between health and creativity. I think Ray has drawn a lot of things together. He makes the supplement world simpler by dividing things along a pro metabolism/anti-metabolism line, similar to other divisions in the past like yin/yang, or acid/alkaline. However he draws a lot of science into that distinction, making modern science more graspable.

If you are new to Peat, you will find the energy is great, but overtime the things that you put that energy towards should shift to a more pro metabolic lifestyle. He talks a lot about that, and creativity is included. I have seen people who get the energy bump, and continue to do things dark, cold, and stressful, and they'll burn out worse then before. But anyways, good luck and have fun

OP
K

kateb

The way to lose fat according to Peat is by building muscle. Muscle burns purely fat at rest, so having a good amount of muscle is the only metabolically non-stressful way to burn fat.
That's a good plan but for me I already am pretty solid, I'm not sure how much muscle I could reasonably add with the amount I already have, I'd like it to be more visible by losing 10 pounds of fat. I wonder about more ways to burn fat less stressfully--vitamin e, coconut oil, what else? If one does reduce calories how would such supplements be added? When to take vitamin e and how much? I've been trying to have small amounts of coconut oil during the day too, like a 1/4 teaspoon here and there when in a deficit and have been staying warm.

OP
K

kateb

I do not recommend much, but I like Ray's stuff on the connection between health and creativity. I think Ray has drawn a lot of things together. He makes the supplement world simpler by dividing things along a pro metabolism/anti-metabolism line, similar to other divisions in the past like yin/yang, or acid/alkaline. However he draws a lot of science into that distinction, making modern science more graspable.

If you are new to Peat, you will find the energy is great, but overtime the things that you put that energy towards should shift to a more pro metabolic lifestyle. He talks a lot about that, and creativity is included. I have seen people who get the energy bump, and continue to do things dark, cold, and stressful, and they'll burn out worse then before. But anyways, good luck and have fun
An interesting feedback loop I hadn't thought of. Looking forward to reading about it more.

Lucenzo01

How are you dosing those? Why at meals? Do any of those interfere with sleep? Do you find Niacinamide to make you very hungry? It made me feel great yesterday but also quite hungry, I wonder why.

500 mg aspirin, 500 mg niacinamide and 200 mg caffeine per dose. I take a dose per meal. My tongue is pink for the first time ever (used to ve white all the time). I'm feeling way hungrier, even when smoking as a chimney (always anyway lol). I'm eating a lot of more food and loosing fat, a text book win-win. I can stand eggs when I couldn't even smell them before without feeling uneasy. Next time is to try milk and see if I can digest it.

BingDing

Part of the issue as I understand it is free or nonesterified fatty acids. The preferred way to move fat through the bloodstream is as triglycerides/triacylglycerols, three fatty acids with ester bonds to a glycerol. That is too big a molecule to go into and out of cells at random and any PUFAs are less likely to get oxidized if they run into a free radical. So preventing release of free fatty acids is not the same as preventing (proper) fat metabolism.

When I upped my T3 intake and felt really good, 1) it seemed like a more anabolic state than I had been in, muscles felt firmer and better, and 2) I just lost fat without doing anything else different. I am thinking it is just a normal process of homeostasis. Maybe we store fat as some kind of protective mechanism when there is systemic dysregulation and when that is corrected we move towards a more ideal fat level.

OP
K

kateb

Part of the issue as I understand it is free or nonesterified fatty acids. The preferred way to move fat through the bloodstream is as triglycerides/triacylglycerols, three fatty acids with ester bonds to a glycerol. That is too big a molecule to go into and out of cells at random and any PUFAs are less likely to get oxidized if they run into a free radical. So preventing release of free fatty acids is not the same as preventing (proper) fat metabolism.

When I upped my T3 intake and felt really good, 1) it seemed like a more anabolic state than I had been in, muscles felt firmer and better, and 2) I just lost fat without doing anything else different. I am thinking it is just a normal process of homeostasis. Maybe we store fat as some kind of protective mechanism when there is systemic dysregulation and when that is corrected we move towards a more ideal fat level.
Thanks, that's an interesting distinction, I thought that fatty acids have to be free to move from storage into the bloodstream, and also helpful information from your personal experience.

OP
K

kateb

500 mg aspirin, 500 mg niacinamide and 200 mg caffeine per dose. I take a dose per meal. My tongue is pink for the first time ever (used to ve white all the time). I'm feeling way hungrier, even when smoking as a chimney (always anyway lol). I'm eating a lot of more food and loosing fat, a text book win-win. I can stand eggs when I couldn't even smell them before without feeling uneasy. Next time is to try milk and see if I can digest it.
thanks for the details about your regimen