Weight Loss

julia

Hello everyone,
I've been eating Peat inspired diet for the last couple of months and I have gained 15lbs.Before that I was eating ''everything in moderation'',but I felt it wasn't right as I had constant cravings for suit and fatty foods,I was quite irritable and constantly hungry.
I have always been overweight,so the weight gain of 15lbs is not a big surprise,since I started eating more.I know I have low metabolism and I would like to raise it in order to lose weight without lowering calories.
Has anybody lost weight following Ray Peat's suggestions?Could you please help?

Jayfish

I think the consensus is a very low fat diet is the best way for fat loss. High carbs, moderate high protein, under 20g fat a day.

OP
J

julia

Thank you very much,Jayfish.I have done a very low fat diet in the past and I lost a significant amount of weight,however I became quite depressed at that time.I was also avoiding starch but I did eat sugar and milk...Perhaps I was avoiding too many things at the same time:both starch and fat....and at the end there weren't so many foods to eat...

Luann

Hey so here's what I do. I'm not as tuned in to the liquid part of this diet, and thus I don't drink lots of orange juice, milk, or soda. Although I do love my Pepsi but save it for a treat when I'm at work and have access to the soda fountain. If it's calcium you need from milk, you can also get it from eating some legumes and greens. So what if Peat doesn't think they are the best foods? You can't cut everything out of your diet.
I am gung-ho about avoiding PUFA! If it isn't coconut oil or palm kernel, I don't eat it, as far as fats go. Even cow fat and milk. Anyway, animal fat tissues store up quite a bit of crap from the food they eat, like grain and pesticide and steroids.
So in a nutshell, keep your fats low except for highly saturated, and don't feel like you have to do the liquids. To be honest, it saves me money not to drink lots of liquid because liquid doesn't even fill me up. And vitamin C from OJ? i supplement it : )

Jayfish

Yes, starch definitely has a satiation effect. It's also another good way to get carbs and calories. Potatoes and rice are very safe starches and should be added in if you can't handle all your carbs from sugar.

Also, saturated fat refeed days once a week or so might help with adherence and with getting a big dose of cholesterol and fat soluble vits.

dd99

I think if I were starting again (after coming from low carb Paleo intermittent fasting), I would make sure I had 3x50-100mg niacinamide a day to ensure my body was using sugar correctly.

T

tca300

Myself and millions of others have found that no matter what diet you eat, it boils down to calories. But certain foods raise metabolism more than others so you can eat a little more food and lose weight. Eating higher protein ~25% total calories, especially milk and gelatin will help maintain bone mass and other lean tissue. Eating a diet high in calcium while in a calorie deficit will help you lose fat even faster according to several studies you can Google that are easy to find. Cliff made a short article on fat loss which I find very good.

Co2 Factor: Practical ways to lose fat

Niacinamide and asprin will help to keep sugars from turning into fat. A good quality vitamin E will protect you from stored PUFA release. And of course keeping dietary PUFA as low as possible.

Easy, low intensity walking, and sunlight or lights talked about on the forum are helpful too.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

julia

Thanks,guys!Lots of great information!
So here is a recap:
1.Low fat
2.High protein?Milk and gelatin
3.High carb.Starch is ok:rice and potatoes
4.Niacinamide and aspirin for proper use of sugar.
No pufa basically rules out all packaged and restaurant foods(where I live sunflower oil is a staple).
I have red in Ray Peat's articles that coconut oil can be used for weight loss:
''The anti-obesity effect of coconut oil is clear in all of the animal studies, and in my friends who eat it regularly.'' and ''“In the 1940s, farmers attempted to use cheap coconut oil for fattening their animals, but they found that it made them lean, active and hungry. For a few years, an antithyroid drug was found to make the livestock get fat while eating less food'',Later, an animal experiment fed diets that were low or high in total fat, and in different groups the fat was provided by pure coconut oil, or a pure unsaturated oil, or by various mixtures of the two oils. At the end of their lives, the animals’ obesity increased directly in proportion to the ratio of unsaturated oil to coconut oil in their diet, and was not related to the total amount of fat they had consumed. That is, animals which ate just a little pure unsaturated oil were fat, and animals which ate a lot of coconut oil were lean.”
So,I was wondering could it be useful to add some coconut oil to the diet?But then it won't be a low fat diet...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals