Peatist Losers [Weight Loss]

Do you have any thoughts on how long someone can go with a calorie deficit without it lowering metabolism and causing more problems?

Or do you think that's worth the risk for the sake of displacing pufa with saturated fat in the long run?

The fatter one is the longer they can go on a deficit without a drop in metabolism. If one is lean, <13% body fat as a male, it can be a few days of a deficit before metabolism begins to drop.

The best approach I've found thus far is to maintain a caloric deficit 6 days a week and on the 7th day eat at maintenance calories. Do this for 4-6 weeks, then take a 2 week break where you eat at maintenance. Then repeat this cycle again.

For me it's worth losing fat quickly, even if it's PUFA, because holding excess fat is very problematic because of the increase in aromatase expression. Taking vitamin E, aspirin and haidut's mitolipin will help to decrease the negative effects of PUFA oxidation.

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

I have a question about two substances that I believe can cause weight gain. Lysine and Pregnenolone. Anybody has an opinion about that?
Yikes. Hope someone knowledgeable chimes in. I'm interested, too. I was about to start preg but maybe will hold off.

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

Do you mean constipated from the activated charcoal or from the turpentine?
Not Peatowski, but I take charcoal so thought I'd reply.

If you're drinking enough water it shouldn't be a problem. For me, I had loose stools from gut inflammation and it didn't even firm them up.

sladerunner69

The fatter one is the longer they can go on a deficit without a drop in metabolism. If one is lean, <13% body fat as a male, it can be a few days of a deficit before metabolism begins to drop.

The best approach I've found thus far is to maintain a caloric deficit 6 days a week and on the 7th day eat at maintenance calories. Do this for 4-6 weeks, then take a 2 week break where you eat at maintenance. Then repeat this cycle again.

For me it's worth losing fat quickly, even if it's PUFA, because holding excess fat is very problematic because of the increase in aromatase expression. Taking vitamin E, aspirin and haidut's mitolipin will help to decrease the negative effects of PUFA oxidation.

What is the function of mitolipin? I would reccomend consuming about the same number of calories but making every effort to minimize fat intake, and increasing activity level a moderate amount. Aerobic activity such as brisk walking burns fat, and I have seen a few forum members here get extremely ripped by simply eating a fat free diet.

What is the function of mitolipin? I would reccomend consuming about the same number of calories but making every effort to minimize fat intake, and increasing activity level a moderate amount. Aerobic activity such as brisk walking burns fat, and I have seen a few forum members here get extremely ripped by simply eating a fat free diet.

You need to read a few more posts from this thread, it's already been discussed. People can also get ripped via ketosis, myself included. You can eat chocolate cakes all day and as long as you're in a deficit you'll get ripped. Losing fat is easy. The problem is doing it in such a way that in the process you're not aging yourself 10 years. And without losing your libido. And without losing your hair. And so on.

Mitolipin is to resaturate the cardiolipin inside the mitochondria, thus reversing one of the detrimental effects of PUFA oxidation.

Last edited:
Just clarifying for anyone else reading this thread. You make abx sound like the miracle cure and a sterile gut an achievable goal. They're not. But I'm glad abx worked for you, and they can be a tool in the arsenal.

When you get around to trying an antibiotic e.g. minocycline (you're already on 'gateway antibiotics' like carrots and charcoal) and you notice drastically improved gut function, cognitive health etc, feel free to drop me a PM so I can reply back with "told you so".

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

When you get around to trying an antibiotic e.g. minocycline (you're already on 'gateway antibiotics' like carrots and charcoal) and you notice drastically improved gut function, cognitive health etc, feel free to drop me a PM so I can reply back with "told you so".
So I initially replied to this with a snappy, semi-antagonistic response, and am now editing because contrary to possibly popular belief, and unlike some people, I'm not particularly wedded to being right all the time. I'm wedded to new experiences and experimenting to find what's right for me. I don't like it when people manipulate facts to fit their paradigm, instead of the other way around. In fact, if my years have taught me anything it's that I'm more frequently wrong than not, unless I have actual experience with whatever my opinion is about. In this case, and in this context (antibiotics combined with a healthy lifestyle), I *don't* have any experience. I have experience with abx in another context (very unhealthy lifestyle).

Further, now I'm wondering about how much more effective abx might be combined with the anti-candida and anti-biofilm measures I'm taking.

Maybe creating a new gut biome from scratch isn't a bad thing to do.

So, @cantstoppeating, besides minocycline, what do you recommend? Is that the best broad-spectrum or is there something more powerful, in your experience? I have some amoxicillin hanging around from some dental surgery last year...would that be good to start with?

Last edited:

sladerunner69

Yeah, that's my point. Of course you can lose weight via ketosis, it's how most people commonly get shredded. In order to keep a strong metabolism you must maintain constant glycosis, so eating carbs throughut the day and not consuming any fat is the way.

EIRE24

Yeah, that's my point. Of course you can lose weight via ketosis, it's how most people commonly get shredded. In order to keep a strong metabolism you must maintain constant glycosis, so eating carbs throughut the day and not consuming any fat is the way.
I can get extremely shredded on a high carb diet as long as the fat is low. So many side effects to this though like dry skin, acne, dry eyes. It's best to eat a mixed and varied diet and just try to be in the deficit to get lean in my opinion

sladerunner69

[QUOTE"EIRE24, post: 166544, member: 2619"]I can get extremely shredded on a high carb diet as long as the fat is low. So many side effects to this though like dry skin, acne, dry eyes. It's best to eat a mixed and varied diet and just try to be in the deficit to get lean in my opinion[/QUOTE]
Thats Interesting I have never heard ofthat being a problem. Maybe lowering carbs just a tad and eating about 20% daily calories as saturated fat would be ideal. I am ggoing to run extreme low fat for a while because I need to lower my body fat. I will report back and let you know if I encounter any of these problems.

superhuman

i also run no fat diet and my skin and everything is flawless and looks better and i have done it for many times for many months at a time

Katrinkels

Hello! I've been following this thread for ages. And now I have a few questions, but first, a little background.

I followed this low fat high carb peat way of eating back in 2012. I was 19, I had minimal stress and I was trying to lose weight because I was scouted to be a model, but I was always a bit on the chunky side. My brother recommended this to me, he's been following peat for as
Long as I can remember. I lost weight fast, maybe around 8kgs (17ish lbs) over the course of 3 months. So I was around 145lbs on a 5'10 frame. Then one day my modelling agent suggested I GAIN weight and become a plus size model. It went really well, I've traveled, I've lived in London and New York, but Since then I've always been really unhappy with my body cos I just don't feel attractive at a higher weight.

So recently while I was living in New York for the past 3 months I decided to follow the low fat diet again. Wow, it's crazy how much can change from being 19 to 23. It did not go well. I was losing weight, but my blood pressure was so low, like I kept feeling really dizzy and anxious. Yet I was eating a lot. Orange juice, milk, SUGAR, potatoes, rice, watermelon. So I realised, this diet should only be followed when you have minimal stress, and you definitely need a day each week for recovery with a lot more fat.

So I'm back in South Africa, definitely not as stressful as New York, it's also winter here. My body absolutely hates heat and humidity because I'm already a really hot person. I don't get cold easily and my extremities are never cold either. So I found being in the humidity and high heat really stressful.

So my questions are: How do I prevent getting the low blood pressure again? Eat more and more salt? Anything else?

And whenever I go low fat I need to rub to the toilet often at the beginning. It's udually violent and smells awful which is abnormal for me. Is this some way of "detoxing" or is something else going on?

Any input would be appreciated, and sorry for rambling!

sladerunner69

Hello! I've been following this thread for ages. And now I have a few questions, but first, a little background.

I followed this low fat high carb peat way of eating back in 2012. I was 19, I had minimal stress and I was trying to lose weight because I was scouted to be a model, but I was always a bit on the chunky side. My brother recommended this to me, he's been following peat for as
Long as I can remember. I lost weight fast, maybe around 8kgs (17ish lbs) over the course of 3 months. So I was around 145lbs on a 5'10 frame. Then one day my modelling agent suggested I GAIN weight and become a plus size model. It went really well, I've traveled, I've lived in London and New York, but Since then I've always been really unhappy with my body cos I just don't feel attractive at a higher weight.

So recently while I was living in New York for the past 3 months I decided to follow the low fat diet again. Wow, it's crazy how much can change from being 19 to 23. It did not go well. I was losing weight, but my blood pressure was so low, like I kept feeling really dizzy and anxious. Yet I was eating a lot. Orange juice, milk, SUGAR, potatoes, rice, watermelon. So I realised, this diet should only be followed when you have minimal stress, and you definitely need a day each week for recovery with a lot more fat.

So I'm back in South Africa, definitely not as stressful as New York, it's also winter here. My body absolutely hates heat and humidity because I'm already a really hot person. I don't get cold easily and my extremities are never cold either. So I found being in the humidity and high heat really stressful.

So my questions are: How do I prevent getting the low blood pressure again? Eat more and more salt? Anything else?

And whenever I go low fat I need to rub to the toilet often at the beginning. It's udually violent and smells awful which is abnormal for me. Is this some way of "detoxing" or is something else going on?

Any input would be appreciated, and sorry for rambling!

That was a cool read, no need to apologize :D Sometimes it can be difficult to lose weight on a Ray Peat nutrition style diet. Losing weight can also be very slow! If you are looking for the "london look" or toothpick skinny arms or like you are buhlemic than this is definitely not the diet I would recommend. The Ray Peat diet is designed for optimal health, and inr eality optimal health for most men lies around 8-13% bodyfat, which is far more than most male models carry. Could I possibly see some body shots of you? This wold give me an idea of where you are at. I believe that fat consumption contributes the most to bodyfat but of course there are a large variety of other influencors and factors.

EIRE24

i also run no fat diet and my skin and everything is flawless and looks better and i have done it for many times for many months at a time
Maybe it just suits you better. What would you consider low fat and what do you eat? Our diets could both be low fat but vary wildly, Yano what I mean? Happy that it works for you though because it's awesome to be honest.

milk

Seems like Westside was right all along.

I've been trying VLF for a while. I was restricting the fat to a little butter on rice meals. I was still feeling lethargic and sleepy and relying on tianeptine to make it through the day.

I started losing weight, though. Looking more fit, clothes feeling looser. Not unhealthy thinning, just looking more fit, really.

Then I cut the fat entirely. I've been eating rice and potatoes without butter. And after a few days I don't crave the fat anymore, the potatoes taste surprisingly good with just salt. And the lethargy is gone. I feel surprisingly good.

Just a testimony. And I'm getting leaner by the day (in a healthy way, trust me, mood and energy haven't been this good in a while).

EIRE24

Seems like Westside was right all along.

I've been trying VLF for a while. I was restricting the fat to a little butter on rice meals. I was still feeling lethargic and sleepy and relying on tianeptine to make it through the day.

I started losing weight, though. Looking more fit, clothes feeling looser. Not unhealthy thinning, just looking more fit, really.

Then I cut the fat entirely. I've been eating rice and potatoes without butter. And after a few days I don't crave the fat anymore, the potatoes taste surprisingly good with just salt. And the lethargy is gone. I feel surprisingly good.

Just a testimony. And I'm getting leaner by the day (in a healthy way, trust me, mood and energy haven't been this good in a while).
I had this at the start too, I've been under 10 grams fat for a long time and I am starting to see some unhealthy side affects which I am unsure it has to do with the low fat but i'm going to start increasing it to see.

superhuman

Maybe it just suits you better. What would you consider low fat and what do you eat? Our diets could both be low fat but vary wildly, Yano what I mean? Happy that it works for you though because it's awesome to be honest.

Hmm im under 10g for sure a day. Its just the things in fruit, skimmed milk, candy, coke, etc so it just the traces that are in the food sources.

Yeah i love it

EIRE24

Hmm im under 10g for sure a day. Its just the things in fruit, skimmed milk, candy, coke, etc so it just the traces that are in the food sources.

Yeah i love it
Yea this doesn't work for me. Got dry skin and acne.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals