Taking Thyroid While Losing Weight

Jem Oz

I started actively losing weight a couple of months ago and had fantastic success. However, I slowly joined some dots and realised that I've been hypothyroid for some time. I started supplementing thyroid 3 days ago, starting at a very low dose (2 drops of Tyromax), which I will keep for the first 2 weeks, to guage reaction. I immediately knew I had to up the calories, because I was feeling super stressed and anxious, like I was going to pass out etc.

This has obviously put a dent in my weight loss plans. I decided healing the hypo was more important than losing weight, but secretly I hoped I could continue to lose weight AND take thyroid, just by having a much smaller caloric deficit. (Initially I was eating 2k a day and smashing the weight loss. Since thyroid, I've needed 2500 minimum). I know some will say these numbers are too low, but losing weight is currently very important to me. I have a suspicion that if I keep taking thyroid, I'm going to need closer to 3k a day just to stay out of the stress response.

I'm confused. I want to fix the hypo, for obvious reasons. Does anyone think there's a way to slowly lose weight AND take thyroid? I honestly don't mind if it takes months, just so long as I'm heading in that direction. I've heard Ray mention that excess weight, along with FFA and excess lipolysis can inhibit thyroid supplement from doing its job. Which makes me think: lose the weight first, then fix the hypo.

Has anyone managed to take ongoing thyroid supplement and lose weight, or is it an either/or thing?

OP
J

Jem Oz

Addendum: I just realised that maybe some of the hypo symptoms I was experiencing were actually the result of excess pufa liberation from too rapid weight loss. I've been taking aspirin, niacinamide and Vit E to offset, but perhaps the answer for now is to drop the thyroid, up the calories and continue focusing on losing weight, but at a more congenial pace?

milkboi

I am also currently dieting and I have the same problem with using T3. I time it around my meals highest in calories. Doesn't completely negate the hunger and stress response but makes it tolerable. Upside is Thyroid can accelerate the fat loss.

Fidelio

When in a caloric deficit the body downregulates T3 to preserve LBM. Artificially circumventing that by supplying exogenous T3 and forcing your body to utilise muscle as fuel will make you feel horrible and will make your ability to keep the fat off much harder. Less LBM = lower RMR.

milkboi

When in a caloric deficit the body downregulates T3 to preserve LBM. Artificially circumventing that by supplying exogenous T3 and forcing your body to utilise muscle as fuel will make you feel horrible and will make your ability to keep the fat off much harder. Less LBM = lower RMR.

You are generally right. I am also on TRT so for me it's a bit of a different situation than for OP in regards to catabolism due to Cortisol. Though my theory was that when you take T3 with your food, instead of your body storing a certain % because it senses the calorie restriction, you burn more of the calories right then and there, which would allow you to tap more into adipose tissue when no energy is supplied. But yeah, thyroid will accelerate LBM loss when in a deficit, no about that.

hei

So where's the bit where it actually burns some of the fat it saved up? What an utter waste to store a bunch of fat only to prioritise getting rid of muscle in a deficit.

milkboi

So where's the bit where it actually burns some of the fat it saved up? What an utter waste to store a bunch of fat only to prioritise getting rid of muscle in a deficit.

It does also burn fat, but some muscle too. I think mainly to supply glucose when glycogen runs out. Thats why eating a (very) high protein diet might help to spare muscle in that case, because the body will utilize the exogenous amino acid from the protein you ate instead of the AAs from muscle cells to produce glucose

redsun

I understand the frustration from that, but when you realize taking T3 forcibly burns glucose at a much faster rate then it makes sense why your muscle goes away. It has to take glucose from somewhere it has no choice when you take T3 otherwise you would die from lack of glucose.

Last thing your body wants is to waste muscle, thats only when its going to die does it do that. This is exactly why you dont take T3 when trying to drop weight and caffeine is much better as it will force much more fat burning instead of T3 and muscle wasting will be minimal.

OP
J

Jem Oz

Decided to drop the thyroid for now. Yesterday I needed 3500 cals just to settle the adrenaline surges. Couldn't shovel food in fast enough. No way I can lose weight like that. May not all be down to the thyroid - maybe I'd gone too hard with the CR and needed a refeed. Still, my intuition says don't mess around with thyroid while actively trying to lose weight. Have to accept that I'm going to feel a bit lousy while losing weight I guess.

LadyRae

Decided to drop the thyroid for now. Yesterday I needed 3500 cals just to settle the adrenaline surges. Couldn't shovel food in fast enough. No way I can lose weight like that. May not all be down to the thyroid - maybe I'd gone too hard with the CR and needed a refeed. Still, my intuition says don't mess around with thyroid while actively trying to lose weight. Have to accept that I'm going to feel a bit lousy while losing weight I guess.
I've been taking T3 for several months now while also eating in a deficit and exercising. I feel great, I just make sure that I take T3 right before a meal. If you are consuming a moderate to high amount of protein then you're not going to lose a lot of muscle .....I would definitely say I am leaning out nicely...

I don't understand why people feel that they need to shovel food in their face just because they have an adrenaline response? What does that mean anyway, adrenaline response? You have a lot of energy? Why not just go for a walk