Weight Loss Club

cfhunter

Re: Is the key to losing weight on Peatarian, reducing the f

I'm game. I need to lose FAT not pounds. :)

ilovethesea

Joining this thread as I'm on the same weight gain train! I was really fit and happy with my body pre-Peat, but I also had very high cortisol and was very hypothyroid.

Over the last few months I pretty much quit exercising and basically ate whatever I wanted for the sake of lowering stress and "healing" but now I think I've gained 5-10 and need to lose at least 5. It's actually not even the fat that bothers me so much as cellulite being more apparent with the extra weight, as it all goes straight to my hips/thighs area. I am sure the cellulite is PUFA and/or estrogen so it will take a long time to go away... yuck. If anyone has any tips I would love to hear them.

I've also become so lazy and indulgent that it's hard now to think about being strict with diet and exercise! I also absolutely hate counting calories and am terrible at remembering to enter things into Cronometer. (I've never been a good dieter - always ate whatever I wanted because I over-exercised.)

I think (hope) what will work for me is to just limit my foods to a few safe low-fat ones which is what I'm trying to do now... milk, coffee, eggs, salt, carrot, coconut oil, tropical fruit juice, cherries, grapes, shrimp, clams, fish, Italian cheese. I'm sure the cheese is not so great but I really struggle with being able to drink more than 2 cups of milk a day (in coffee). I have to cut out potatoes and ice cream.

lazz said:
you don't have to drop your cals under 2000 or whatever as long as you increase your physical activity such as cardio ,weight training daily...id say keep them around 2.300-2500 just add a 30 minute walk daily as cardio to help you burn excess of cals

I thought we were meant to avoid cardio?

OP
Peata

Peata

ilovethesea said:
I've also become so lazy and indulgent that it's hard now to think about being strict with diet and exercise!

Exactly me.

Bluebell

Peata said:
Well, I'd say today was a success as far as calories logged. 1900, give or take.

It wasn't always easy. I did feel a little hungry at times. I think I need to have a bigger lunch to power myself through the afternoon better, instead of relying so much on drinking my calories and having a small lunch.

The relatively empty stomach, come mid to late afternoon, affects my blood sugar, just going by how I feel. I was pretty hungry by dinner and it would have been easy to overdo it. I do love to have drinks all day though (talking about milky, sugary drinks like coffee... or soda; even some tea) but I just need to eat more actual solids too.

How are the rest of you doing?

Yesterday was OK, I had around 1800 calories net in the end. I allowed 100 for the walking/exercise.

I definitely used to eat more than this, the biggest difference is I'm eating less at night now. I also didn't have any starch at all which I think might help with weight loss.

Cronometer's quite good just for making me more aware of how much I eat.

Bluebell

ttramone said:
Cronometer is a joke for setting caloric requirements. Be very careful using that as a guide as you could reduce too much and lose any gains you have made. I know that for a fact.

This is a better calculator for working out your caloric requirements. And yes, you will be surprised at what your needs are!

I'll say it again - please be very careful reducing calories - it's extremely stressful to your body! Especially, especially when you are trying to heal. Which is hard to do when you don't give your body the calories and nutrients your require.

I'm glad you said that, I thought that cronometer was giving me weird values, much too low. I reckoned that metabolic rate is determined by thyroid so if our thyroids are doing good, we definitely need more than cronometer claims.

Definitely agree, there is no way I will compromise my health to lose weight. That's one of the reasons I didn't mind putting on a bit, as I'm healing.

That's a nifty little tool, thanks! If I stick to 2000 I will lose a pound every week or two, which would be fine by me.

Bluebell

cfhunter said:
I'm game. I need to lose FAT not pounds. :)

Welcome cfhunter!! Very glad to have you join!! :D

Are you going to increase weight training?

Bluebell

ilovethesea said:
Joining this thread as I'm on the same weight gain train! I was really fit and happy with my body pre-Peat, but I also had very high cortisol and was very hypothyroid.

Over the last few months I pretty much quit exercising and basically ate whatever I wanted for the sake of lowering stress and "healing" but now I think I've gained 5-10 and need to lose at least 5. It's actually not even the fat that bothers me so much as cellulite being more apparent with the extra weight, as it all goes straight to my hips/thighs area. I am sure the cellulite is PUFA and/or estrogen so it will take a long time to go away... yuck. If anyone has any tips I would love to hear them.

I've also become so lazy and indulgent that it's hard now to think about being strict with diet and exercise! I also absolutely hate counting calories and am terrible at remembering to enter things into Cronometer. (I've never been a good dieter - always ate whatever I wanted because I over-exercised.)

I think (hope) what will work for me is to just limit my foods to a few safe low-fat ones which is what I'm trying to do now... milk, coffee, eggs, salt, carrot, coconut oil, tropical fruit juice, cherries, grapes, shrimp, clams, fish, Italian cheese. I'm sure the cheese is not so great but I really struggle with being able to drink more than 2 cups of milk a day (in coffee). I have to cut out potatoes and ice cream.

lazz said:
you don't have to drop your cals under 2000 or whatever as long as you increase your physical activity such as cardio ,weight training daily...id say keep them around 2.300-2500 just add a 30 minute walk daily as cardio to help you burn excess of cals

Woo hoo!! Welcome!! :D

I was also slim pre-Peat (well actually about 7 pounds over). I'm also coming from high cortiosl/stress hormone, so I'm going to continue eating or drinking very regularly to keep healing. I had a lot of PUFAs in the years and even weeks before Peat, when I just stopped them all 100%. I am certain I'm going to be burning some PUFA fat, although thankfully some of it will safer fat as it came on during eating lovely cream and butter on Peat! I am taking niacinamide 3 times a day and hope it will help the PUFA to burn through the liver rather than be released into the bloodstream and do damage.

I have got very used to eating whatever I want too. I am definitely not going to give anything up (except perhaps starch as I don't especially want that anyway), but I am going to try and change my habits a bit to eat a little less. I agree it's a pain with cronometer, I did it previously for about 3 weeks then got tired of it, but I started up again yesterday and it's not too bad. I think your plan looks good, and I don't think you should deprive yourself of the cheese. I think you can sense when you are eating a bit less, and be guided by that feeling.

Yes lots of cardio is not a good idea, as the stress hormones will come up if it's done too hard/long. Just a bit of brisk walking or other light movement is enough I think.

cfhunter

So will there be a separate group as I am terrible about trying to find posts. A little about where I am trying to get to. I am 131 pds 5 foot 7". When I started vlc and paleo I was 126...over time I watched the scale creep up a tiny bit but it was the FAT that was most disturbing. The hardest part for me is determining if it is left over from adrenal issues (I spent almost a year recovering and feel GREAT now), the hypothyroid issues (am currently off medications of all kind with GOOD labs and feel better OFF them!), or the Estrogen dominance (at one point my estrogen ratio to progesterone was off the charts) or just plain perimenopause. Its all central to the belly. I am looking to lose it and increase muscle tone (my clients would die if they heard me say that as they all think I am toned as it is) and get my libido back on track. I LOVE food and have been using cronometer but like a previous poster says...I do great all day and tank it at night. I typically don't eat more than 2,000 calories though. I eat when I am hungry and since starting this peat style eating I don't feel hungry like I used to....not even close.

lazz

ilovethesea said:

lazz said:

you can avoid cardio all u want , i follow Peat;s diet reccomendation ,but i got a lifestyle of my own ...at some point you gotta start thinking for yourself and find out what works for you...in my case because of what i do , 12 sprints dailyand it takes me 12 minutes to complete or an easy walk on treadmill , keeping my heat under 130 for around 40 mins, not only help me burns extra cals but keeps my bp , circulation and heart health in check...

lazz

meant heart under 130..not heat..lol

OP
Peata

Peata

Does anyone NOT count the calories in coconut oil? I'd heard that you could do that because it boosts the metabolism.

jaguar43

There is a big difference between myxedema and being fat.

repeat

Peata said:
Does anyone NOT count the calories in coconut oil? I'd heard that you could do that because it boosts the metabolism.

I'm not counting, I just intoxicate myself with coconut oil right now :)
It's indeed an experiment... hope I can give more reports on this soon .

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have gave the "Weight Loss Club" it's own thread. I am also going to pin it, so it's easier to find.

cfhunter

Ummm Maybe I am an idiot but where in the world do you sign up for the health calculator that someone posted??? Theres no "Create an account on the home page or anything??

4peatssake

cfhunter said:
Ummm Maybe I am an idiot but where in the world do you sign up for the health calculator that someone posted??? Theres no "Create an account on the home page or anything??
Use the specific link ttramone sent to use the calculator online.

If you click on the little red button at the top of each button, you can move the dial circularly to change the parameters. You can change the readings from metric to imperial as well, male/female etc.

Bluebell

Peata said:

I'm not eating it, but when I was, I was tempted not to count them. It's metabolism boosting as you say, and the calories used to push up my daily total a bit too much ;)

HDD

"People on a standard diet will typically burn 200 or 300 more calories per day when that amount of sugar is added to their diet; but if extra fat is added, too, some of the extra calories are likely to be deposited as fat. It's important to watch the signs of changing heat production as the diet changes."

I hope y'all don't mind me posting these quotes.

6:00 p.m.
Temp 98.8
Bpm 89

Initially, I ate hd ice cream every night to help insomnia. I also drank whole milk and full fat cheese. And because of blood sugar and/or stress hormones, I ate all the time. I can go longer now without eating, so this should help me to stop gaining.

I like to dance, so thought maybe I could use that for exercise, but not sure if it would be stressful?

Bluebell

Haagendazendiane said:
6:00 p.m.
Temp 98.8
Bpm 89

Hiya HDD! LOVE the quotes, really helpful.

Wow yours temps & BPM are looking fine ... :D

This is so motivating having others on the same journey here, I am just the same re. eating very often when I was healing.

I think dance is the finest exercise, it's creative and fun which will be excellent for your health, go for it!! As long as you are enjoying yourself and do not push yourself.

Update from me: doing OK plugging everything into cronometer. Yesterday I was a bit under 2000 net, after including my exercise. I am watching out for fat calories and trying to reduce them and increase the sugar calories instead. The biggest thing though is I am eating fewer calories.

cfhunter

I am having a hard time eating more sugar without that old guilt creeping on. Also I have cut way back on fat. I miss my coconut cream. :(

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals