Hungry Yet Gaining Weight

iPeat

Hello, everyone.

So in an attempt to lose some weight (I've gained a lot since I started "Peating"), I'm trying a very low fat diet. I'm mainly drinking sugared skim milk, lots of coffee, eating a couple pieces of fruit, few tbsps of gelatin, gummy bears, a carrot or two, and sometimes a bowl of cereal (low fat, PUFA-free) at night if hunger pangs are too much. Cronometer has me at around 5g of fat, if I remember correctly, and just over 2,000 calories. I've stopped taking aspirin and niacinamide so I don't inhibit fat release.

I've been doing this for a week and I'm still gaining weight, tired, and worse yet - I'm starving all day. If I consume more, I don't feel hungry, but I gain faster. I'm 6 foot, 206 lbs. Pulse is generally 80 bpm, temps could be higher but always over 98°. I've always been very fit but was willing to sacrifice that for a time while healing. I feel like I'm close to that now but can't shed the weight. No matter what I try, I just keep gaining.

Any advice?

redsun

Hello, everyone.

So in an attempt to lose some weight (I've gained a lot since I started "Peating"), I'm trying a very low fat diet. I'm mainly drinking sugared skim milk, lots of coffee, eating a couple pieces of fruit, few tbsps of gelatin, gummy bears, a carrot or two, and sometimes a bowl of cereal (low fat, PUFA-free) at night if hunger pangs are too much. Cronometer has me at around 5g of fat, if I remember correctly, and just over 2,000 calories. I've stopped taking aspirin and niacinamide so I don't inhibit fat release.

I've been doing this for a week and I'm still gaining weight, tired, and worse yet - I'm starving all day. If I consume more, I don't feel hungry, but I gain faster. I'm 6 foot, 206 lbs. Pulse is generally 80 bpm, temps could be higher but always over 98°. I've always been very fit but was willing to sacrifice that for a time while healing. I feel like I'm close to that now but can't shed the weight. No matter what I try, I just keep gaining.

Any advice?

Well for starters protein is incredibly important for satiety, and you dont seem to mention eating a single piece of meat at all. Yes milk has protein but you have no significant source of zinc and other bioavailable minerals except for skim milk in there, red meat, oysters. Minerals are incredibly important for metabolism as a whole, especially zinc(all lacking in milk) milk covers most minerals easily except for the fact that your sugar intake is very high but zinc is very low, high carb depletes zinc more the zinc in milk is nowhere near enough. The extra sugar in the milk is depleting thiamine and you dont have a significant source to cover that.

Your original concern is your hunger. You also mention tiredness, your high sugar(empty calories) diet might be inducing it by depleting b vitamins, coffee does not help either since it is a stimulant. You arent oxidizing your sugar as well as you should be because of low minerals/probably protein, low b vitamin intake that is exacerbated by coffee. Thiamine is especially susceptible to being depleted and can explain fatigue.

A low fat diet is great to lose extra weight, if its done right with whole food sources for nutrients and when consuming carbs, they are whole food with plenty of b vitamins. Dropping the sugar in the milk and replacing those carbs with whole food carbs will help with b vitamins. Some red meat in there, steak, liver, or oysters for minerals to help provide minerals for metabolism that milk lacks. You might consider supplementing thiamine because without a doubt based on your food intake its not adequate and its deficiency is a prime driver in fatigue because its necessary to oxidize sugars properly.

TeaRex14

You wouldn't necessarily have to discontinue the aspirin and niacinamide to lose weight. Your muscles and cardiac system burn fatty acids at rest anyways regardless of the aspirin and niacin. Fat in the cells get burned down to produce heat and energy for those cells when you're sensitive to T3 the active thyroid hormone. This is the safest way to lose weight, oxidize the fat in the cells so that it doesn't have to be liberated into the serum, where it wrecks havoc. So you lose weight, just probably not as fast as the excessive lipolysis from fasting and/or ketogenic diets. But it's much, much safer weight loss, and is metabolic friendly. In regards to your diet I agree with redsun almost verbatim. Getting some liver and shellfish, I would recommend using some coconut oil too, to help dilute any PUFAs that might be released into your serum, 1-3 tbsp daily. Replacing the sugar in your milk with some raw honey or maple syrup is a great way to still get the sweetness but not devoid of nutrients. Some people, probably a lot of people, need serious work in restoring proper sugar metabolism too. People coming over from standard American diets and low carb diets typically have very poor sugar metabolisms. Everything from the Krebs cycle to the electron transport chain could/can be malfunctioning. Strategic use of supplemental thiamine, biotin, CoQ10/K2, magnesium, and aspirin can be used to sensitize your cells to insulin and restart the proper oxidative glucose metabolism.

OP
iPeat

iPeat

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I'm making sure to hit the 100g of protein mark with the milk and gelatin as Peat says that's a minimum amount one should be eating, and sugaring it because he also says the blood sugar drop associated with protein intake is significant. I'm going to try switching up some of the sugar with honey or syrup.

Before this latest attempt at losing weight, I was doing the weekly oysters and bi-weekly liver so I'm assuming Im stocked-up on vitamins/minerals. Maybe not. I take D2, E, and a lot of K2. I stopped taking A because milk already has a lot.

I did stop taking thiamine awhile back because I never noticed any effect even while taking 600mg+. I'll give that another shot. Maybe my body is in a different place now.

In one the KMUDs, Peat says you could drink nothing but 2 quarts of milk, and 1 quart of OJ for months without suffering a nutritional deficiency so I was assuming I was good to go on the vitamins and minerals for awhile.

I'm gonna ramp up my B vitamins, eat more oysters and maybe a little coconut oil and see how it goes. I'll report back with any results. Thanks again, guys.

Peatful

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I'm making sure to hit the 100g of protein mark with the milk and gelatin as Peat says that's a minimum amount one should be eating, and sugaring it because he also says the blood sugar drop associated with protein intake is significant. I'm going to try switching up some of the sugar with honey or syrup.

Before this latest attempt at losing weight, I was doing the weekly oysters and bi-weekly liver so I'm assuming Im stocked-up on vitamins/minerals. Maybe not. I take D2, E, and a lot of K2. I stopped taking A because milk already has a lot.

I did stop taking thiamine awhile back because I never noticed any effect even while taking 600mg+. I'll give that another shot. Maybe my body is in a different place now.

In one the KMUDs, Peat says you could drink nothing but 2 quarts of milk, and 1 quart of OJ for months without suffering a nutritional deficiency so I was assuming I was good to go on the vitamins and minerals for awhile.

I'm gonna ramp up my B vitamins, eat more oysters and maybe a little coconut oil and see how it goes. I'll report back with any results. Thanks again, guys.
So you are or are not going to stop the aspirin and/or niacinamide?

As poster said above it “shouldn’t” be an issue- but aspirin certainly made me gain, and definitely not make me be able to lose weight.
Loved it medicinally, but I could not handle its effects both times I tried to use it therapeutically.
Niacinamide made me headachy but no effect on my weight.

Would like an update at some point.

OP
iPeat

iPeat

So you are or are not going to stop the aspirin and/or niacinamide?

As poster said above it “shouldn’t” be an issue- but aspirin certainly made me gain, and definitely not make me be able to lose weight.
Loved it medicinally, but I could not handle its effects both times I tried to use it therapeutically.
Niacinamide made me headachy but no effect on my weight.

Would like an update at some point.

I've seen too many people, including Haidut, mention that stopping aspirin and niacinimide helped in their weight loss, so I'm following suit. I'm at the point where I feel the added weight is more detrimental to my health than realeasing stored PUFA too fast. I just want it gone. I've gone from a really fit guy to pseudo-8-month pregnant lady in appearance during my year of "Peating." I know I only have myself to blame for letting it get out of control. Reading some of Peat's writing, I'm starting to become convinced I have a decent level of lactic acidosis and I'm gonna work on increasing my CO2, as well.

So far I added some thiamine on top of Energin this morning, along with a zinc supplement, to see if that helps. I've also come down with a cold today so I won't be able to give an objective perspective of any physical results until it passes. I'll definitely update with any positive results.

Sadly, this will be my last attempt at losing weight in a Peat-friendly way. I've attempted many forms of weight loss over the last few months to no avail. My next step is going back to intermittent fasting and if that fails, I'll attempt a form of Keto that doesn't involve overloading on PUFA.

Cirion

First off, 2000 calories is far, far too low. I would say 3000 bare minimum especially for a male of your height. Secondly, I also experienced failure with a low fat diet until I re-introduced starch. Sugar just isn't satiating enough. Protein is optional, but it can help as well. Be careful though, I have found too much protein can have negative effects as well on metabolism. No need to over-do that. 100-120 grams should be the max you need. When I was too high protein I felt really bad, probably because protein lowers blood sugar.

Also I understand your frustration with weight loss, but health isn't all about weight loss. I have far more weight than you to lose but every time I get frustrated and just drop caloric intake I often actually gain weight instead of lose it. The real answer is fix inflammation, and have a sustainable solution that doesn't involve starving yourself (i.e., avoiding inflammation promoting foods).

OP
iPeat

iPeat

First off, 2000 calories is far, far too low. I would say 3000 bare minimum especially for a male of your height. Secondly, I also experienced failure with a low fat diet until I re-introduced starch. Sugar just isn't satiating enough. Protein is optional, but it can help as well. Be careful though, I have found too much protein can have negative effects as well on metabolism. No need to over-do that. 100-120 grams should be the max you need. When I was too high protein I felt really bad, probably because protein lowers blood sugar.

Also I understand your frustration with weight loss, but health isn't all about weight loss. I have far more weight than you to lose but every time I get frustrated and just drop caloric intake I often actually gain weight instead of lose it. The real answer is fix inflammation, and have a sustainable solution that doesn't involve starving yourself (i.e., avoiding inflammation promoting foods).

Yeah, I actually tried the potato thing for a bit. I did lose a few pounds and despite having pretty good self-control, I could not abide by eating only potatoes. My hat's off to anyone who can stick to that. I may add some well-cooked white rice at night for satiation and get more sugar from whole foods.

The only real answer that I'm coming up with is that my metabolism is broken. I've tried high calorie and just gained and gained. I feel like I did heal a lot though. I think my digestion and liver are in decent shape now - my transit time is amazing (not to get graphic but dinner shows up in the morning) and I can drink 80oz. of coffee, or more, plus supplemental caffeine, per day and sleep at night (doing this because for a long time I thought my issues were liver-related) Still lacking energy though. "Peating" has always made me tired.

So if digestion is good, liver is good, the only thing left must be my mitochondrial health, no? Or maybe some sort of systemic infection. I've tried high dose vitamin D to rectify any intracellular infection but didn't notice anything.

I just don't get how I could eat at a caloric deficit, while keeping my pulse and temperature up, and still gain weight.

Cirion

Everybodys' situation is unique. I have thought I had a lot of answers, but I will tell you a blanket statement that truly does apply to everyone - Track on chronometer as much info as you can, food intake, temps/pulses (there is an option to add notes to each day I take advantage of), sunlight, sleep, supplements, anything you think may be relevant. After doing this a while you should hopefully start to see trends with things like I've started to - like removing fats/pufas from my diet, removing processed foods (no enriched flour products), getting enough sleep, ... etc...

I will say tho that gaining weight is 100% to be expected especially coming out of a strong caloric deficit, but if you gain more than a reasonable amount (say more than 20-30 lb) then something else is going on - inflammation due to stress/ improper food / improper food combinations / etc.

I have you beat because I gained 90 lbs. Unfortunately I was being coached by someone and blindly listened to them. You should listen to your gut at the end of the day. What got me into trouble I'd say was primarily mixing fats and sugars, and eating foods that caused me inflammation/bloat. I ate waaaay too much ice cream and cheese and other fatty foods and that's what caused most of my gain. I absolutely believe in eating as much as you are craving to, for the most part - with the exception of limiting dietary fat as much as you can, especially PUFA, but if you must eat fats, at least separate it from carbs (Randle cycle) and don't eat fats and carbs in a single meal.

Take this all with a grain of salt of course, especially since I'm still fat, but I have for the most part halted my weight gain finally, now it's just a matter of reversing course.

BTW - I take zero supplements nowadays. I think all of them are overrated. I never saw long term gains from any supplements I took. For whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
OP
iPeat

iPeat

Everybodys' situation is unique. I have thought I had a lot of answers, but I will tell you a blanket statement that truly does apply to everyone - Track on chronometer as much info as you can, food intake, temps/pulses (there is an option to add notes to each day I take advantage of), sunlight, sleep, supplements, anything you think may be relevant. After doing this a while you should hopefully start to see trends with things like I've started to - like removing fats/pufas from my diet, removing processed foods (no enriched flour products), getting enough sleep, ... etc...

I will say tho that gaining weight is 100% to be expected especially coming out of a strong caloric deficit, but if you gain more than a reasonable amount (say more than 20-30 lb) then something else is going on - inflammation due to stress/ improper food / improper food combinations / etc.

I have you beat because I gained 90 lbs. Unfortunately I was being coached by someone and blindly listened to them. You should listen to your gut at the end of the day. What got me into trouble I'd say was primarily mixing fats and sugars, and eating foods that caused me inflammation/bloat. I ate waaaay too much ice cream and cheese and other fatty foods and that's what caused most of my gain. I absolutely believe in eating as much as you are craving to, for the most part - with the exception of limiting dietary fat as much as you can, especially PUFA, but if you must eat fats, at least separate it from carbs (Randle cycle) and don't eat fats and carbs in a single meal.

Take this all with a grain of salt of course, especially since I'm still fat, but I have for the most part halted my weight gain finally, now it's just a matter of reversing course.

BTW - I take zero supplements nowadays. I think all of them are overrated. I never saw long term gains from any supplements I took. For whatever that's worth.

I feel for you, man. My situation is very similar. When starting, I ate a ton of cheese and full fat dairy. While that's probably healthy, I way overdid it because I was seeing drastic health improvements. I gained a total of 40lbs. and slowly gaining more every week despite mt attempts to stop it. I'm definitely an experimenter so if I come across any magic bullet, I'll definitely post it. I even had the idea to just eat coconut oil. I'm very curious as to what that would actually do. I'm not at that point of experimentation however lol.

The best things I've ever come across to lose/maintain weight has been Keto and IF, even though it's not Peat-friendly. It definitely works. You're just slowly killing yourself as you lose weight.

Cirion

I don't recommend a large fat intake of any kind, even coconut oil, at least in the context of high carbs also. I can save you the effort of doing that. Don't do it =P And don't do hydrogenated coconut oil either. I had very angry bowels from that... probably because it's a heavily processed oil.

Both keto and ultra high carb / zero fat are both indeed effective - and it's because either avoids the effects of the Randle Cycle (mixing fats and sugars). I am not a fan of keto over the alternative of high carb / low fat though personally because our body prefers to run off glucose and not fat. But, if you ever do want to try an experiment of very low pufa keto diet, I certainly would be curious to see how that works for you, because the only time I did keto I was too liberal with pufa and a keto diet that is high in sfa and very low in pufa might not be the worst thing ever. The problem though is that even with relatively low pufa fats, if you eat large amounts of fats (200-300 gram a day), that pufa still adds up, because everything has some pufa in it.

LUH 3417

I feel for you, man. My situation is very similar. When starting, I ate a ton of cheese and full fat dairy. While that's probably healthy, I way overdid it because I was seeing drastic health improvements. I gained a total of 40lbs. and slowly gaining more every week despite mt attempts to stop it. I'm definitely an experimenter so if I come across any magic bullet, I'll definitely post it. I even had the idea to just eat coconut oil. I'm very curious as to what that would actually do. I'm not at that point of experimentation however lol.

The best things I've ever come across to lose/maintain weight has been Keto and IF, even though it's not Peat-friendly. It definitely works. You're just slowly killing yourself as you lose weight.
Every time I try to do keto for weight loss I start to experience autoimmune like symptoms. May not be true for you but just wanted to throw that out there.

OP
iPeat

iPeat

I don't recommend a large fat intake of any kind, even coconut oil, at least in the context of high carbs also. I can save you the effort of doing that. Don't do it =P And don't do hydrogenated coconut oil either. I had very angry bowels from that... probably because it's a heavily processed oil.

Both keto and ultra high carb / zero fat are both indeed effective - and it's because either avoids the effects of the Randle Cycle (mixing fats and sugars). I am not a fan of keto over the alternative of high carb / low fat though personally because our body prefers to run off glucose and not fat. But, if you ever do want to try an experiment of very low pufa keto diet, I certainly would be curious to see how that works for you, because the only time I did keto I was too liberal with pufa and a keto diet that is high in sfa and very low in pufa might not be the worst thing ever. The problem though is that even with relatively low pufa fats, if you eat large amounts of fats (200-300 gram a day), that pufa still adds up, because everything has some pufa in it.

That's pretty much my next step. If I dont start losing some weight, I'm gonna try IF followed by a low-PUFA keto diet, if that fails. I really don't wanna do it but I really think this extra weight is unhealthy, plus I feel like crap.

OP
iPeat

iPeat

Every time I try to do keto for weight loss I start to experience autoimmune like symptoms. May not be true for you but just wanted to throw that out there.

That seems to be my issue with "Peating" also. Every time I diverge from the diet at all, I feel like absolute garbage. It's like I no longer have any resilience to anything unhealthy.

I did Keto/IF for 3 years. I got into great shape but gradually my health declined and was sick constantly, even though no one around me was sick. Eventually I got a horrific sinus infection that wouldn't go away with antibiotics. Haidut also had this happen to him. I know now that running on fats was very bad for me so I really don't like that idea but maybe it's possible to create a diet plan without so much PUFA and overload on Vitamin E for any that is consumed.

TeaRex14

Reading some of Peat's writing, I'm starting to become convinced I have a decent level of lactic acidosis and I'm gonna work on increasing my CO2, as well..
What makes you think this? This was one of the problems I suffered with the most in the past before finding Peat's work. Low CO2 in my experience manifests itself with some very uncomfortable side effects, for me it was bad hyperventilation. I had severe difficulty breathing, and thought I was getting asthma or something. But if this indeed is your problem then it stands to reason one of the main issues is likely excessive glycolysis, your pyruvate isn't entering the Krebs cycle like it should be. Therefore it's fermenting and turning into lactic acid, which produces very little CO2.

OP
iPeat

iPeat

What makes you think this? This was one of the problems I suffered with the most in the past before finding Peat's work. Low CO2 in my experience manifests itself with some very uncomfortable side effects, for me it was bad hyperventilation. I had severe difficulty breathing, and thought I was getting asthma or something. But if this indeed is your problem then it stands to reason one of the main issues is likely excessive glycolysis, your pyruvate isn't entering the Krebs cycle like it should be. Therefore it's fermenting and turning into lactic acid, which produces very little CO2.

Basically, what you mentioned. I've had lifelong asthma. Better now but I still get bouts. Low energy despite adequate sugar intake. When I bag-breath, sometimes I'll only get 45 seconds in and I feel the panic signals starting. I have a history of panic disorder. Honestly everything on the list of lactic acidosis, I have experienced. I dont know why that didn't click right away. I'm just not sure how to resolve this. I've been "Peating" for a year and I'm still in the same boat.

Scenes

Hello, everyone.

Any advice?

I did the whole peat thing for about 2 years I think. Never been overweight in my life, but on milk and oj steady throughout the day I gained about 10kg of weight and carried it all in my midsection...not a good look. Also, the main reasons I began trying peat (hair, skin, pfs - erectile dysfunction) were not improved, and in some cases, made worse. I’ve consulted with peat and Danny roddy and Nathan hatch, and whilst they have some good ideas that help me feel warm and good and helped to a degree, my main issues continued to get worse over time. Not only that, I felt like I induced some kind of pre-diabetes state where I need a constant supply of sugar all day or I start to get lightheaded and tired..I’d have to be snacking all throughout the day.

Every metabolism boosting supplement would make me warmer, sleep great, but kill my sensitivity downstairs or make my hair look even thinner. I’ve stopped all supplements, which feels great.

In the last 2 months I’ve lost all that weight, improved my skin and hair pretty markedly and recovered my erectile functioning to what I would consider very good. The main key has been drastically reducing my fluid intake. I have stopped coffee, milk, juice and reduced my fruit consumption to once a day max. The key for me wasn’t diet, but fluids.

I drink water mostly, 3-4 glasses a day, and always with a meal. This has improved my blood volume and circulation, helped my skin and hugely improved my sensitivity downstairs. Once or twice a week I drink 8 glasses of water a day, just to rehydrate the body and help remove wastes. On that day, I notice I am colder through the day and at night, but it’s fine by the next morning, and I go back to very warm and comfortable with warm feet and hands by reducing to 3-4 glasses in a day with meals.

The other thing I do which helps me sleep well and stay warm is I wear a thick pair of socks to bed. Never done this before, but I like it. I’m waking up super warm and can walk around the house in cold weather first thing in the morning no problem.

My hair is thicker than it has been in 10 years, my skin is clearer and brighter and my energy levels are much more stable. I don’t post here much but most of my posts have been around MPB or erectile dysfunction, and I’m serious when I say I have had huge improvements in both those areas. No regrowth on hairline, but the wispy hairs are much thicker, stand up taller and look healthier.

OP
iPeat

iPeat

I did the whole peat thing for about 2 years I think. Never been overweight in my life, but on milk and oj steady throughout the day I gained about 10kg of weight and carried it all in my midsection...not a good look. Also, the main reasons I began trying peat (hair, skin, pfs - erectile dysfunction) were not improved, and in some cases, made worse. I’ve consulted with peat and Danny roddy and Nathan hatch, and whilst they have some good ideas that help me feel warm and good and helped to a degree, my main issues continued to get worse over time. Not only that, I felt like I induced some kind of pre-diabetes state where I need a constant supply of sugar all day or I start to get lightheaded and tired..I’d have to be snacking all throughout the day.

Every metabolism boosting supplement would make me warmer, sleep great, but kill my sensitivity downstairs or make my hair look even thinner. I’ve stopped all supplements, which feels great.

In the last 2 months I’ve lost all that weight, improved my skin and hair pretty markedly and recovered my erectile functioning to what I would consider very good. The main key has been drastically reducing my fluid intake. I have stopped coffee, milk, juice and reduced my fruit consumption to once a day max. The key for me wasn’t diet, but fluids.

I drink water mostly, 3-4 glasses a day, and always with a meal. This has improved my blood volume and circulation, helped my skin and hugely improved my sensitivity downstairs. Once or twice a week I drink 8 glasses of water a day, just to rehydrate the body and help remove wastes. On that day, I notice I am colder through the day and at night, but it’s fine by the next morning, and I go back to very warm and comfortable with warm feet and hands by reducing to 3-4 glasses in a day with meals.

The other thing I do which helps me sleep well and stay warm is I wear a thick pair of socks to bed. Never done this before, but I like it. I’m waking up super warm and can walk around the house in cold weather first thing in the morning no problem.

My hair is thicker than it has been in 10 years, my skin is clearer and brighter and my energy levels are much more stable. I don’t post here much but most of my posts have been around MPB or erectile dysfunction, and I’m serious when I say I have had huge improvements in both those areas. No regrowth on hairline, but the wispy hairs are much thicker, stand up taller and look healthier.

Thanks for the response, Scenes. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. I even had a bout of anorgasmia which really shocked me as I've never even remotely had a problem in that area until "Peating." I wrote it off as a "healing crisis."

If you dropped most liquids, would you mind me asking what you're consuming? I recently dropped OJ after drinking it for a year because I figured out that was causing a lot of my stomach issues. I switched to a couple servings of fruit to replace it.

Runenight201

Hydration is important, but in my opinión water is the least effective way to do it.

OP
iPeat

iPeat

Just as an amusing aside: I drive my wife crazy because I wear thick wool socks to bed and get on her case for not wearing them to bed also lol. However, after me having no luck finding a decent sleeping cap (Peat recommended this in a KMUD) here in the states, she actually ordered me one from the Netherlands because she's awesome. I will admit, it looks ridiculous...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals