Is the key to losing weight on Peatarian, reducing the fat?

Bluebell

I'd like to lose a few of the pounds I gained on Peat eating.

Is the key to losing weight on Peat, cutting down on the fats (my only fats are dairy saturated fats from cream and butter)?

I can't have coconut oil unfortunately even the refined stuff.

So I could get my calories from fruit/milk sugars, and a get good amount of protein, and avoid the fats, & this would be a healthy way to lose weight?

4peatssake

Re: Is the key to losing weight on Peatarian, reducing the f

Ray Peat said:
When a person wants to lose excess fat, limiting the diet to low fat milk, eggs, orange juice, and a daily carrot or two, will provide the essential nutrients without excess calories.
Source

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Thank you, yes I remember that quote it's a good one!

I wonder if adding sugar, coke and whole fruits to that diet is perhaps OK? (as sugar raises metabolic rate)

And watching myself on the cheese, butter & cream (avoiding totally maybe while I lose weight).

4peatssake

Bluebell said:
Thank you, yes I remember that quote it's a good one!

I wonder if adding sugar, coke and whole fruits to that diet is perhaps OK? (as sugar raises metabolic rate)
Yes the sugars are good. I think the coke will be fine too and of course fruit.

Bluebell said:
And watching myself on the cheese, butter & cream (avoiding totally maybe while I lose weight).
Yep, this is where the weight problems can arise and why Ray recommends low fat milk for weight loss.

Ray has said that coconut oil, however, does promote weight loss.

Ray Peat said:
Coconut oil is unique in its ability to prevent weight-gain or cure obesity, by stimulating metabolism. It is quickly metabolized, and functions in some ways as an antioxidant.
I would also be sure to use plenty of salt. Salted oj and baking soda/epsom salt baths perhaps.
And carrot salad of course.

HDD

"My recommendation is to eat to increase the metabolic rate (usually temperature and heart rate), rather than any particular foods. Usually the increased metabolic rate, with adequate protein, causes some muscle increase, and when that happens the basic calorie requirement will increase. The increase of muscle mass should continue for several weeks, and during that time the weight might increase a little, but usually the loss of water and fat will compensate for the greater muscle mass. I have heard from several people that they think I recommend drinking whole milk, which I don't, because the amount of fat in whole milk is very likely to be fattening when a person is using it to get the needed protein and calcium. When a person wants to lose excess fat, limiting the diet to low fat milk, eggs, orange juice, and a daily carrot or two, will provide the essential nutrients without excess calories"

- Ray Peat on weight loss

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

"Weight Loss Club" has been moved to the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2159

Rolan

I've been wondering about this, but from a health perspective rather than a weight one because I don't seem to put on any weight at all really(fluctuates a bit).

By the time I've drunk my whole milk(I dislike the tastes of any other milk), had my butter and mash potatoe, had a bit of cheese, the fat content must be pretty high.

4peatssake

Rolan said:
I've been wondering about this, but from a health perspective rather than a weight one because I don't seem to put on any weight at all really(fluctuates a bit).

By the time I've drunk my whole milk(I dislike the tastes of any other milk), had my butter and mash potatoe, had a bit of cheese, the fat content must be pretty high.
You can plug it all into Cronometer and see. ;)

It really depends on a lot of factors, specifically one's metabolic rate, the ability to digest and assimilate nutrients from food, one's activity level and overall health and well being.

At one's optimum, that amount of fat may be perfectly fine. Ray's been known to chow down on quarts of hagen daz. :lol:

Rolan

4peatssake said:
Rolan said:

You can plug it all into Cronometer and see. ;)

It really depends on a lot of factors, specifically one's metabolic rate, the ability to digest and assimilate nutrients from food, one's activity level and overall health and well being.

At one's optimum, that amount of fat may be perfectly fine. Ray's been known to chow down on quarts of hagen daz. :lol:

Cronometer? I'm too scared! Yesterday I put down 250g cheese, 2ltrs whole milk, a tub, yes a tub of haagen daz, and half a stick of kerrygold. I know that's gonna come up high :lol:

But no, I'm not too worried. I may just experiment though by cutting cheese and butter out for a while and subbing in more fruit/tubers. It's hard for me to recognise how well or not I'm assimilating nutrients. I will say though that my gut feels infinitely better now than it did 3-4 months ago, and that's even with 3 weeks of dodgy eating recently.