Rapamycin is Fantastic and Worth Trying

Ania

@Ania, this link might possibly help with some ideas for sourcing.

Thank you Blossom.
i contacted the Longevity Center some time ago.
They make assessment, which is quite complex, including genetic testing, and on that basis they propose you a longevity strategy.
They are into things a la David Sinclair like metformin etc.
I told them I will go through the process and pay the absurd amount of money if they guarantee I will receive Rapamacin prescription in the end. They never answered.
So for now I see no possibility to source rapa.😭

Birdie

Birdie, did you order in France? I am in Poland, and I cannot order anything from outside the European Union. But I could order from France. However, I never found a source in Europe.
No. I should have been more clear. In a hurry you see. I ordered from India. I'm always surprised to see where things ship from when I order from India.

Birdie

@Birdie,
That’s wonderful for both you and your husband. We are all doing well on it at my house. I had hoped to get blood work done in early September but my doctor didn’t see any indication for it so I was just going to order it myself. The doctor made these comments at my follow up visit last month “you’re my healthiest patient, your hair and skin look great, you look vibrant and have an aura of radiance.”
He’s known me since 2016 and never said those things besides I’m his healthiest patient which was in February of this year.
Anyway my youngest dog who is 3.5y and not on rapa started having bladder issues and $2k later I’ve yet to get my own blood work done! Hopefully soon. All the other markers I’m tracking are good and improving. Let us know how it goes for your family please!
Thanks for all of this. Yes, pretty amazing what your doc said. Very encouraging for us here! I hope the 3.5 yo has improvement w the bladder.

Birdie

My report on the first week of 1mg, so far - First night results were that I slept better the night before, but when I awakened I felt stronger overall and more rested..Husband slept "as usual". First day and ev day after my body has felt stronger. Hard to describe. Husband is more motivated. These are not huge changes but in a good direction.

Next dose is tomorrow morning. Plan to keep at 1mg/week but may delay mine because I began to have a return of sciatica yesterday from over gardening.

Birdie

Reposting this from yerrag on page 3 of this thread.

Ray Peat Q1, 2022:

An important factor in creating functional and metabolic inertia is a phosphate transfer enzyme that creates a general pattern of activation, the kinase called mTOR
(mechanistic target of rapamycin).
A bacterial fungicidal antibiotic, rapamycin, originally used to treat candidiasis, was found to be immunosuppressive, and is used to prevent rejection of kidney transplants. The mTOR enzyme inhibited by rapamycin has been found to promote growth, inflammation, fibrosis, and cancer growth, and to accelerate aging. Lactate
promotes the activation of mTOR, and mTOR activates aerobic glycolysis, the defining feature of cancer.

Interrupting the vicious circles of cancerization is essential for the survival of the organism. There are many substances that can inhibit the
inflammatory, degenerative processes acting at multiple levels, and these substances tend to be synergistic, so that a great number of substances
can be safely used at the same time. This kind of supportive therapy has nothing in common with the ruling paradigm of cancer treatment—it is reinforcing the organism’s state of health, rather
than attacking the disease of cancer.

Things that favor the production of CO2 rather than lactate include CO2, sodium bicarbonate and acetazolamide, flavonoids such as apigenin and
fisetin (Constantin, et al., 2010; Shan, et al., 2017;
Zhao, et al., 2021), thyroid hormone,
progesterone, and lidocaine (Karniel and Beitner, 2000),

Some of the things that inhibit mTOR include caffeine (Zhou, et al., 2010), aspirin (Din, et al.,2012), lidocaine (Zhang, et al., 2021), vitamin D (Al-Hendy, et al., 2016), and flavonoids.

Things that increase intracellular calcium tend to increase mTOR (Amemiya, et al., 2021). Radiation (ultraviolet and ionizing radiation) increases mTOR, and this effect can be reduced by flavonoids (Bridgeman, et al., 2016). mTOR is
one of the factors in the radiation bystander effect, which is responsible for prolonged damage of other unirradiated cells in the organism (Verma
and Tiku, 2022).

Many of the flavonoids are known as “antioxidants,” but, like ascorbic acid/dehydroascorbate, inside the functioning cell they become beneficial
oxidative catalysts. In excessive doses they might act as reducing agents. Ascorbic acid itself in some situations increases mTOR (Moretti, et al.,4
2014). It’s safest to get the flavonoids from food, rather than supplements.

sunny

Reposting this from yerrag on page 3 of this thread.

Ray Peat Q1, 2022:

An important factor in creating functional and metabolic inertia is a phosphate transfer enzyme that creates a general pattern of activation, the kinase called mTOR
(mechanistic target of rapamycin).
A bacterial fungicidal antibiotic, rapamycin, originally used to treat candidiasis, was found to be immunosuppressive, and is used to prevent rejection of kidney transplants. The mTOR enzyme inhibited by rapamycin has been found to promote growth, inflammation, fibrosis, and cancer growth, and to accelerate aging. Lactate
promotes the activation of mTOR, and mTOR activates aerobic glycolysis, the defining feature of cancer.

Interrupting the vicious circles of cancerization is essential for the survival of the organism. There are many substances that can inhibit the
inflammatory, degenerative processes acting at multiple levels, and these substances tend to be synergistic, so that a great number of substances
can be safely used at the same time. This kind of supportive therapy has nothing in common with the ruling paradigm of cancer treatment—it is reinforcing the organism’s state of health, rather
than attacking the disease of cancer.

Things that favor the production of CO2 rather than lactate include CO2, sodium bicarbonate and acetazolamide, flavonoids such as apigenin and
fisetin (Constantin, et al., 2010; Shan, et al., 2017;
Zhao, et al., 2021), thyroid hormone,
progesterone, and lidocaine (Karniel and Beitner, 2000),

Some of the things that inhibit mTOR include caffeine (Zhou, et al., 2010), aspirin (Din, et al.,2012), lidocaine (Zhang, et al., 2021), vitamin D (Al-Hendy, et al., 2016), and flavonoids.

Things that increase intracellular calcium tend to increase mTOR (Amemiya, et al., 2021). Radiation (ultraviolet and ionizing radiation) increases mTOR, and this effect can be reduced by flavonoids (Bridgeman, et al., 2016). mTOR is
one of the factors in the radiation bystander effect, which is responsible for prolonged damage of other unirradiated cells in the organism (Verma
and Tiku, 2022).

Many of the flavonoids are known as “antioxidants,” but, like ascorbic acid/dehydroascorbate, inside the functioning cell they become beneficial
oxidative catalysts. In excessive doses they might act as reducing agents. Ascorbic acid itself in some situations increases mTOR (Moretti, et al.,4
2014). It’s safest to get the flavonoids from food, rather than supplements.
This is great, thank you. You tend to forget what was in the beginning of a long thread.

Birdie

My sister sent me this from Dr Green's office. I can't remember if anyone put it here. It has a lot of info. At first look, it seems that he has his patients on 6mg per week.
Until I learn more, we'll stick to 1mg a week. I might go back and read experiences on this and other Rapamycin threads on the forum to get a better idea of dosing.

Oh, I see @Badger gave us this link back in December of 22. Thank you Badger.

Last edited:

Birdie

@ecstatichamster I wonder if you kept trying rapa and if you noticed any benefit.
I might be tired, so I usually dont do it before some big work thing or event
Is this holding steady or do you not notice any tiredness by now? And @Blossom could you give us an update?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@ecstatichamster I wonder if you kept trying rapa and if you noticed any benefit.

Is this holding steady or do you not notice any tiredness by now? And @Blossom could you give us an update?
Sure, I was holding off for my blood work results but I’ve had to put that off for now. My blood glucose is great and generally 76-86 when I wake up so no interference there as some people report. I’m really curious about my lipids though so I might just get a spot check from the drug store for now. My fitness/ body composition is improving but I think that probably has more to do with overall feeling better and more motivated to walk in my weighted vest and lift weights consistently. I’m eating better in general because my gut is less sensitive. My hair, skin and nails have improved. It seems like month 8 was when the improvements started to really show up for both myself and my husband. Husband has lost about 10 pounds without any diet changes and says his strength at the gym has improved. My dog had rapid improvements initially of course and seems to be staying about the same day to day with possibly a 10% improvement from his rapid and spectacular early results. He never limps anymore so apparently the CCL ligament tear has healed and he runs, plays, jumps on the couch and seems to be really enjoying life. I don’t think I look dramatically different but that’s never been my goal. I just hope to remain strong and functional for as long as possible. :) Here’s my biometric scale reading from last Wednesday fwiw so my muscle and bone mass estimate is excellent for my age so hopefully there’s no frailty in my immediate future. I think the scale underestimates fat mass a little though. The navy method estimates about 17.6% which seems more realistic. I can’t afford nor do I want a dexa scan so I’m okay with just the estimates.
38AF0610-1C36-4AF4-972C-A20DAFCB91A5.jpeg
07B2F8CE-66E8-4AE5-94AA-357AF1D8CD1E.jpeg

I seem well adjusted to rapa at this point and don’t notice much of anything when I take it tbh. I settled on 3mg/week. Sometimes it’s all in one dose and sometimes 1mg every M-W-F. I still haven’t decided which dosing schedule I prefer tbh. That’s about all I have to report until I get my labs done hopefully next month. Oh, I almost forgot that I no longer wake up feeling like I’m rapidly aging but more like I’m holding steady.

sunny

Sure, I was holding off for my blood work results but I’ve had to put that off for now. My blood glucose is great and generally 76-86 when I wake up so no interference there as some people report. I’m really curious about my lipids though so I might just get a spot check from the drug store for now. My fitness/ body composition is improving but I think that probably has more to do with overall feeling better and more motivated to walk in my weighted vest and lift weights consistently. I’m eating better in general because my gut is less sensitive. My hair, skin and nails have improved. It seems like month 8 was when the improvements started to really show up for both myself and my husband. Husband has lost about 10 pounds without any diet changes and says his strength at the gym has improved. My dog had rapid improvements initially of course and seems to be staying about the same day to day with possibly a 10% improvement from his rapid and spectacular early results. He never limps anymore so apparently the CCL ligament tear has healed and he runs, plays, jumps on the couch and seems to be really enjoying life. I don’t think I look dramatically different but that’s never been my goal. I just hope to remain strong and functional for as long as possible. :) Here’s my biometric scale reading from last Wednesday fwiw so my muscle and bone mass estimate is excellent for my age so hopefully there’s no frailty in my immediate future. I think the scale underestimates fat mass a little though. The navy method estimates about 17.6% which seems more realistic. I can’t afford nor do I want a dexa scan so I’m okay with just the estimates. View attachment 56570View attachment 56571
I seem well adjusted to rapa at this point and don’t notice much of anything when I take it tbh. I settled on 3mg/week. Sometimes it’s all in one dose and sometimes 1mg every M-W-F. I still haven’t decided which dosing schedule I prefer tbh. That’s about all I have to report until I get my labs done hopefully next month. Oh, I almost forgot that I no longer wake up feeling like I’m rapidly aging but more like I’m holding steady.
This is so fantastic. Did you ever have any hair issues like thinning, and if so, any improvement in that respect?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Did you ever have any hair issues like thinning, and if so, any improvement in that respect?
When my prolactin was elevated 15 years ago due to a prolactinoma I had diffuse thinning. I’ve never felt like my hair completely returned to it’s previous thickness although many things I learned from Peat’s work seemed to help. Thankfully I had really thick hair prior to that so if you saw me on the street you’d never think I had any issues with hair thinning. By hair improvements the best I can describe it is that it lays better and is smoother. The quality and strength of the hair growing in now seems better. I don’t need to style it much at all for it to look presentable. This is a picture of my hair from last month. I’m generally fine with it for an ordinary woman about to turn 54.
A6AC52E6-F5D5-43D9-8B06-5BE4340F6145.jpeg
We talked a bit about it earlier in the thread because someone else noticed something similar. I have no clue how a person’s whole head of hair can seem improved that quickly because it’s the same exact hair but my dogs coat changed the same way.

Regina

When my prolactin was elevated 15 years ago due to a prolactinoma I had diffuse thinning. I’ve never felt like my hair completely returned to it’s previous thickness although many things I learned from Peat’s work seemed to help. Thankfully I had really thick hair prior to that so if you saw me on the street you’d never think I had any issues with hair thinning. By hair improvements the best I can describe it is that it lays better and is smoother. The quality and strength of the hair growing in now seems better. I don’t need to style it much at all for it to look presentable. This is a picture of my hair from last month. I’m generally fine with it for an ordinary woman about to turn 54. View attachment 56576We talked a bit about it earlier in the thread because someone else noticed something similar. I have no clue how a person’s whole head of hair can seem improved that quickly because it’s the same exact hair but my dogs coat changed the same way.
Great hair!

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

I have been doing 20mg once a month lately. The next day is rough, and then I feel meh for a week before getting back to normal. I think at some point I will go back to doing 5-7mg once per week. I have tried all the different dosages, and they all have different benefits and costs. The high dosages get "deep," but can be pretty debilitating and tiring. The lower dosages are easier to handle, but don't give that bounce back of feeling just great. I think its useful to try the higher dosages at least a few times, but after that, I don't know if it matter much as long as you stay on it in some capacity. It seems like most of the benefits you get are right at the beginning, and everything else is incremental.

Edit: I realize this contradicts what @Blossom said about 8 months, which I find really interesting. Maybe I did get better with time and didn't notice it? My experience is that I got the energy when I first started taking it, and then I used that energy to start working out more, and getting healthier in other ways. So its hard to differentiate.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Tarmander, Don’t forget I’m pretty old in comparison to you so that might make a difference!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@sunny, I thought you might like this paper on the topic of hair and mTOR.

sunny

@sunny, I thought you might like this paper on the topic of hair and mTOR.
Thank you. I had put rapa on the back burner for awhile- I had not had the time to obtain it. This paper makes me think I need to try some.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals