Does Anybody Do RP + Fasting And Want To Talk About It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YamnayaMommy

I’m interested in other people’s experiences, good or bad.

I’ve heard the theoretical arguments against fasting—that it’s stressful and damages metabolism. I’ve heard defenders of fasting argue that studies show it does not damage metabolism. I haven’t read the arguments closely enough to have an opinion on it.

I haven’t found fasting stressful. Being overweight is stressful. I LIKE fasting as a weight loss strategy but am unhappy with aging skin condition, belly fat, and varicose veins I developed over three pregnancies in four years. Also I still haven’t gotten a period even though I’m seven months post partum (am still nursing), and I assume my hormones are effed.

I have lost almost all the pregnancy weight by not eating after noon m-f with a longer eating window on the weekend. I was losing about 10lbs a month, and have lost about 65 of the 70 lbs I gained during this third pregnancy. it’s been effortless weight loss. Fasting is easier than the alternative.

I have lost pregnancy weight before using calorie counting, but I don’t have time to weigh and measure food. I hardly have time to eat with three small children and a hyperactive border collie pulling me in all directions. I usually scarf down food while preparing food for impatient children, with a baby strapped to me, and dog begging for handouts and a walk.

I don’t have time to do all the fancy testing and tracking that people do on this forum.

i think I would gain weight if I did the eat-all-day approach.

My plan is to keep fasting, but eating peaty within my window, and maybe expanding my window when I get down to 135 (I’m 5’10”). Does anybody do that?

Fasting is one of the bad things you can do. I did it for a long time. I did IF, often 18 or 20 hours off, 4 or 6 hours eating. I never lost weight and I really messed up my thyroid.

You sound incredibly stressed out and this will make it worse. What you want is lots of sugar, and adequate B vitamins to support it, and you will feel really good. Fasting is very stressful on the body. There is no way to be healthy while you are fasting, IMHO.

The two things that happen with fasting over the medium- and long-haul are high free fatty acids, and high stress hormones. These each take a terrible toll. The toll builds up and sneaks up on you.

ExCarniv

You can try eat simple sugars during the day, like eating some fruit, fruit juice, smoothie, and have a good meal at night, you then can get a calorie deficit without stress you out and without counting calories.

Peat talked about sugar fasts, where you eat 600-800 calories from sugar and nothing else, I tried it as a experiment to clean out for continuous protein intake and felt good.

Tarmander

Your opinion on fasting tends to match your time horizon. The shorter your time horizon, the better fasting looks and feels. The longer your time horizon, the weaker it gets.

sweetpeat

Also I still haven’t gotten a period even though I’m seven months post partum (am still nursing), and I assume my hormones are effed.
It's common to not get a period while breast feeding. It's also common to lose your period when not eating enough.

OP
YamnayaMommy

YamnayaMommy

Your opinion on fasting tends to match your time horizon. The shorter your time horizon, the better fasting looks and feels. The longer your time horizon, the weaker it gets.
That has the ring of truth to it.

Although I also think skipping a meal 4-5 days a week is sustainable and arguably beneficial for avoiding “energy poisoning” (calorie surplus).

tankasnowgod

Although I also think skipping a meal 4-5 days a week is sustainable and arguably beneficial for avoiding “energy poisoning” (calorie surplus).

It certainly matched my IF experience.

Peat has stated that a fast of about 24 hours is likely okay, maybe even beneficial, if the person has adequate glycogen stores and well functioning thyroid. The rub, of course, is that a lot of people don't have those.

He is not a fan of all of longer fasts, and Chronic IF or meal skipping. Likely very stressful, and will eat up muscle and vital organs over time.

OP
YamnayaMommy

YamnayaMommy

Fasting is one of the bad things you can do. I did it for a long time. I did IF, often 18 or 20 hours off, 4 or 6 hours eating. I never lost weight and I really messed up my thyroid.

You sound incredibly stressed out and this will make it worse. What you want is lots of sugar, and adequate B vitamins to support it, and you will feel really good. Fasting is very stressful on the body. There is no way to be healthy while you are fasting, IMHO.

The two things that happen with fasting over the medium- and long-haul are high free fatty acids, and high stress hormones. These each take a terrible toll. The toll builds up and sneaks up on you.

I think you’re definitely right about sugar being a tonic. I struggled for years to deny myself
sugar and then realized sugar makes me feel great and does not necessarily lead to weight gain.

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts on this forum, by the way.

Why do you think some people lose weight fasting and others don’t? Do you think it comes down to CICO—with metabolism of course affecting the calories-out part of the equation?
Do you think it’s possible that some people do better running sometimes on fatty acids?

There is zero question in my mind that IFing causes insulin resistance. In a healthy person, as Dr. Peat suggests, it's okay to fast maybe for 24 hours. But we aren't super healthy here.

I don't think anyone does well running on fatty acids. I think that the natural state is to have them secreted during hard exercise and during sleep, but at other times it is far better not to be burning much fat.

Many problems with fasting. It is really just a terrible fad that is going to result in even more metabolically impaired people.

Even Intermittent Fasting Reduces Insulin Sensitivity (in The Obese)

Fasting Inhibits Proper Thyroid Function

Tarmander

Everyone has a different time horizon for their life/survival. Depending on the environment, a short time horizon can work well.

I think most people with chronic illness find themselves in the long time horizon camp as they feel bad anyways, so sacrificing for the future (a feature of a long time horizon) just makes sense.

Everyone has a different time horizon for their life/survival. Depending on the environment, a short time horizon can work well.

I think most people with chronic illness find themselves in the long time horizon camp as they feel bad anyways, so sacrificing for the future (a feature of a long time horizon) just makes sense.

That’s a very thought provoking idea.

I was remarking yesterday about how many sick people take a really bad medication, such as opiates or cortisone, in order to get through the day. They really need to make it their business to get off that stuff or they will die from it.

But they have trouble with getting through the day without it.

The OP here is remarkably stressed out and she needs to, in my opinion, consume fun foods with lots of carbs, lots of sugars, and she will feel less stressed.

There is a reason detractors say people “self medicate” on supposedly terrible sugar.

I’m talking orange juice, purple grape juice, cooked frozen fruits. That is a good start and not necessarily expensive either. If you can get ripe fruit, great. If you use frozen OJ concentrate, that’s fine as long as it’s not sour.

Tarmander

That’s a very thought provoking idea.

I was remarking yesterday about how many sick people take a really bad medication, such as opiates or cortisone, in order to get through the day. They really need to make it their business to get off that stuff or they will die from it.

But they have trouble with getting through the day without it.

The OP here is remarkably stressed out and she needs to, in my opinion, consume fun foods with lots of carbs, lots of sugars, and she will feel less stressed.

There is a reason detractors say people “self medicate” on supposedly terrible sugar.

I’m talking orange juice, purple grape juice, cooked frozen fruits. That is a good start and not necessarily expensive either. If you can get ripe fruit, great. If you use frozen OJ concentrate, that’s fine as long as it’s not sour.

Yeah, sadly most of the remedies that come out of allopathic mindset are short term in nature...which is why they are so god awful at chronic disease management in general. I cannot imagine the deep nihilism that must set in from doctors dealing with chronic illness and the "tools" they have to work with.

I will pass on the OJ...but a nice juicy filet...mmmm

YourUniverse

I dont fast but I do cyclic under- and over- eating phases of the day.

During the day, Ill have coffee, fruit, candy/honey, pepsi, and etc. The goal is to feel "light". In the evening, Ill have a big dinner. It has reduced bloat fairly significantly, but Ive only been on it for a week.

LLight

No experience of "peating" myself, except avoiding pufa as much as I can.

I know that some people are doing high-carb (not on this forum) while intermittent fasting but I'm not sure if it's optimal. Fasting may be more adapted to a low-carb setting. Fasting while "peating" might not be the best idea.

I think that fasting can provide good results, except if you have deficiencies.

I also think that a good portion of people arriving on this forum are people having failed or lacking success with low carb in the first place, so not representative of the whole.

If fasting was such a scam, would the Buchinger clinic and the True North Health center continue to exist after such a time? I guess that as alternative health centers, they would exist only because of word of mouth.

17E84FDB-B425-4C7C-AFC9-E9C4578000B0.jpeg
No experience of "peating" myself, except avoiding pufa as much as I can.

I know that some people are doing high-carb (not on this forum) while intermittent fasting but I'm not sure if it's optimal. Fasting may be more adapted to a low-carb setting. Fasting while "peating" might not be the best idea.

I think that fasting can provide good results, except if you have deficiencies.

I also think that a good portion of people arriving on this forum are people having failed or lacking success with low carb in the first place, so not representative of the whole.

If fasting was such a scam, would the Buchinger clinic and the True North Health center continue to exist after such a time? I guess that as alternative health centers, they would exist only because of word of mouth.

Why indeed? Because people are highly suggestible and subject to herd mentality.

I was a huge Atkins fan at one point. You may now know that Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution is probably the all time best selling diet book.

And Dr. Atkins dies in his 70s.

I was a huge fan of calorie reduction. From Roy Walford, very famous from UCLA. Dr. Walford dies in a wheelchair at a relatively young 79. But there are millions of believers in calorie reduction (most are non-practicing.)

url

LLight

View attachment 15066

Why indeed? Because people are highly suggestible and subject to herd mentality.

I was a huge Atkins fan at one point. You may now know that Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution is probably the all time best selling diet book.

I was a huge fan of calorie reduction. From Roy Walford, very famous from UCLA. Dr. Walford dies in a wheelchair at a relatively young 79. But there are millions of believers in calorie reduction (most are non-practicing.)

url

Not sure that herd mentality concept could explain why people fast. To me, it would better describe why people eat a "balanced diet" following health agencies recommendations.

And fasting does not equal calorie restriction. You could be fasting 22h a day and be eating more calories than with three meals a day. But it's sure that it's less doable with high-carb.

Not sure what Atkins diet consists of but I am not sure he advised fasting. And his age at death is not an indicator of anything to me.

redsun

View attachment 15066

url

Keep in mind all dietary movements create herd mentalities in their followers, some more than others. Peat "diet" also has its own herd of certain people who will follow "peat principles" no matter what just like keto, or vegan. People fast because it's easier to just go without eating as long as you can then to make informed dietary choices and create a sustainable plan for meals(via calorie restriction).

Tarmander

Fasting indeed does have an established use throughout history.

But none of that history looks like IF or fasting as it is used today.

It was often ritualized, accompanied by special foods depending on the season, special timings, special celebrations, all having some type of spiritual/religious foundation.

Fasting from a health standpoint in history was often short term and to address something SPECIFIC, and that was often an ailment.

These uses are probably still pro-survival today but that isn't what people are doing.

I can understand that fasting has some benefits and could actually help cure disease. Just not used regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.