Low Toxin Lifestyle Detox Ideology is the WORST Toxin, AVOID!

mosaic01

I think any closed group around a practitioner will over time always attract those who do not find success, while others simply move on.

From what I am reading about him, he seems to emit a very negative type of thinking though. Threats and danger everywhere, and there's a certain subset of people who respond to this because they seek the experience unconsciously, and then their nervous system stays trapped in the "survival" state where healing can not or only slowly occur. Polyvagal theory covers this, an essential aspect of health.

There are basically three different layers of the autonomic nervous system:

Layer 1: immobilization, and shutdown response, freeze response.
Layer 2: sympathetic nervous system, fight or flight
Layer 3: Vagal nerve complex, allowing social interaction and communication without fight, flight or freeze responses. The frontal lobe is activated, communication happens via speech, and speech and playful social interaction override the biological fear response. This happens in an environment where someone can feel safe.

"Polyvagal theory is a collection of scientifically debated evolutionary, neurological, and psychological hypotheses that focus on the role of the vagus nerve in regulating emotions, social interactions, and fear responses.

According to polyvagal theory, our neural circuits involuntarily scan our environment and people to determine if they are safe or dangerous through a process called neuroception. This theory was introduced by Dr. Stephen Porges and has been further developed in various research papers and publications.

The Polyvagal Theory describes three evolutionary stages involved in the development of our autonomic nervous system. These stages are:
  1. The unmyelinated dorsal vagal complex, which is associated with immobilization and shutdown responses.
  2. The sympathetic nervous system, which supports mobilization to fight or flee.
  3. The myelinated ventral vagal complex, which enables social engagement, communication, and regulation of physiological and behavioral states."

Our Dorsal State

The oldest pathway and the path of last resort- the feeling when we are trapped and have no other escape options, we shut down, we disconnect. We switch off from the world around us, we struggle to feel and we see the world as a dead and dark place. Our mind and body has gone into conservation mode- "I can't feel pain if I disconnect from it"

Physically we might experience:

- Low blood pressure (POTS)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Weight gain
- Chronic fatigue
- Fibromyalgia
- Stomach problems
- Memory issues
- Depression
- Isolation
- Dissociation and problems looking after ourselves

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Tarmander, that was such a great interview. I appreciate you sharing the insights you learned on your personal health journey.
I’ve been coming to some similar conclusions and I’ve personally been geared more toward living life from an anti-fragile angle. I wasted so many years being miserable that I no longer have time to live in fear. Awareness is good of course but not fear.

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
Fantastic post, thanks @Tarmander. I agree with you. I followed Dr. Smith and his protocol very intensely for 2 years and did see some real benefits, but I agree - his approach is one that locks people into fear, rigidity, and orthorexia. There are people that have been in his network for 5+ years and they are still "detoxing" and dealing with all sorts of issues. I think for a lot of these people, there is a mental component involved. At this point, I am not sure where I stand w/r/t vitamin A. I added back into my life (via milk, eggs, mangoes, etc) about a year ago and I haven't noticed any negatives from it. I do think Smith has a lot of good ideas in general, but I agree that following him as a person is not good for the health. Great post.

They're still detoxing because the body constantly takes in toxins, whether through food or the air. The crux is his diet's significantly lower toxin levels compared to others. Dr. Garrett Smith, at 48, boasts a testosterone level of 900, impressive due to reduced toxicity. He admits he can now flex his diet choices. Crucially, he pinpoints high-toxin foods and correctly identifies vitamin A, supplemental vitamin D (rat poison), and vitamin E as toxins.

mosaic01

They're still detoxing because the body constantly takes in toxins, whether through food or the air.

Things are not always black and white. You don't know whats going on with someone if you don't know all of their life circumstances. Some blockages are hard to discover and get rid of (including gut issues, nervous system issues, immune issues).

I think for a lot of these people, there is a mental component involved.

The term "mental" has been overused to such an extent that it's meaningless at this point. I'd say there's either the nervous system, the immune system or the gut involved in most cases, or a combination of those areas. The nervous system is the connection between body and mind. Another possibility is hidden toxicities in the environment.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

There are people that have been in his network for 5+ years and they are still "detoxing"
That sounds like hell

@Tarmander, that was such a great interview. I appreciate you sharing the insights you learned on your personal health journey.
I’ve been coming to some similar conclusions and I’ve personally been geared more toward living life from an anti-fragile angle. I wasted so many years being miserable that I no longer have time to live in fear. Awareness is good of course but not fear.
Thanks Blossom. Glad you liked it.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Dr. Garrett Smith, at 48, boasts a testosterone level of 900, impressive due to reduced toxicity.
I remember we had these with Ray Peat too. His before and after pictures of him taking DHEA and how much younger he looked was a popular one.

Just because its an unhealthy, angry ideology doesn't mean there isn't good information there. You can take the info and leave the insanity.

mosaic01

That sounds like hell

I just want to put things into perspective here. You have these kind of people in every health related forum. There's no 100% success rate for any protocol, because by definition a protocol uses many layers of abstraction to arrive at generalizations that leave out certain edge cases. Thus even a protocol that generally goes into the right direction and works, even the best protocol out there, would have people who don't go anywhere with it.

It's really nothing that can be used against Garret Smith.

That's why Ray Peat said that there should be no protocol, and the best protocol to follow is "Perceive, Think, Act". A protocol is not reality. It's a pattern and a tool that can be used to discern reality better and navigate through life, but once people mistake the protocol for reality, bad things start to happen.

For some, everything outside the "Smith protocol" seems to be associated with fear, and this is what keeps one prisoner of a belief system.

Sebastian B

Forum Supporter
@Tarmander

The low-toxin diet isn't an ideology; it's simply a dietary regimen. It involves substituting foods high in toxins with those that are not.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals