My great health is because of longevity expert Ben Greenfield and lactic acid.

yerrag

he's got plenty in-depth articles, good info there no doubt
But he should not have endorsed Barry Tan's enthronement of tocotrienols as the best vitamin E. Barry Tan lacked solid studies to back up his boosterism of tocotrienols. Greenfield did not see that? Disappointing.

OP
A

area51puy

Forum Supporter
How can anyone in their 30s or 40s be a "Longevity Expert?"

Wouldn't they have to be fairly old, by definition, to really be an "expert?" Like, either running a successful experiment on themselves, or doing long term research on others?

I think the more correct term would be "longevity speculator." Remember, Roy Wolford wrote "The 120 Year Diet" in his 60s, and published other similar works, but only made it to 79 years himself.
Lactic acid isn’t good for my health either but you didn’t mention that. In the eyes of many people he is an expert because he has been on the joe rogan show talking about longevity studies and essentially being a lab rat experimenting in himself and like someone said a great promoter.

My point was my great health wasn’t from his advice, he mentioned methylene blue , I tried it and some good benefits and lead me down to the works of ray peat and the advice and experience of people on this forum and is which is really responsible for my great health now.

tankasnowgod

Lactic acid isn’t good for my health either but you didn’t mention that.
I wasn't saying he didn't have any good points. I just scoff at the idea that anyone so young can be a "longevity expert."
In the eyes of many people he is an expert because he has been on the joe rogan show
Well, that would make him more of a marketing or publicity expert, rather than "longevity."
talking about longevity studies and essentially being a lab rat experimenting in himself and like someone said a great promoter.
The only issue is that all the studies are in animals, and in a much shorter time than would be relevant to humans. He may indeed be a lab rat himself, but this still makes him more of an experimenter. In 50 or 60 years, he might be able to speak more from experience.
My point was my great health wasn’t from his advice, he mentioned methylene blue , I tried it and some good benefits and lead me down to the works of ray peat and the advice and experience of people on this forum and is which is really responsible for my great health now.
Very good. I wasn't trying to discount all of his ideas, and I apologize if it came off that way.

I don't think he is going to outlive Gaessens or Enderlein, even as they understand/understood the microbe and relationship to disease much more with their pleomorphic and terrain theory and he doesn't.

Ray understands the metabolic aspect of health quite well but his subscribing to germ theory would be his limit as far as longevity goes.

But I'm glad to be wrong on this though. It's hard to outlive my friends and be the last one standing.
I think in all fairness RP gets lots of longevity credits curing his own cancer after experimenting on himself. He had done many more after that to see what happens. Unfortunately the person in front leading the way is the first to get hurt. I don't appreciate him for how long he lives now, but rather how he has helped me and others.

Last edited:

RealNeat

I think in all fairness RP gets lots of longevity credits curing his own cancer after experimenting on himself. He had done many more after that to see what happens. Unfortunately the person in front leading the way is the first to get hurt. I don't appreciate him for how long he lives now, but rather how it has helped me and others.
Are you talking about his cancerous lesions?

RealNeat

Mouth cancer from wheat germ.
Oh I didn't know that, I thought he just lost some teeth because of it, I didn't know he got some sort of cancer? Does he expand on this somewhere?

Oh I didn't know that, I thought he just lost some teeth because of it, I didn't know he got some sort of cancer? Does he expand on this somewhere?
I read about it many years ago lurking on the forum or maybe in one of his articles. I will see what I can find about it.

Jon2547

Great points. A longevity salesman, Bill Sardi, recently pasted away.
I didn't know Bill Sardi died. He was a big pusher of fish oil.

David PS

Last edited:

yerrag

I think in all fairness RP gets lots of longevity credits curing his own cancer after experimenting on himself. He had done many more after that to see what happens. Unfortunately the person in front leading the way is the first to get hurt. I don't appreciate him for how long he lives now, but rather how he has helped me and others.
I think Ray is a very practical person. He can introduce us to very helpful ideas that are not mainstream, but where it can create controversy that puts people off from accepting his ideas, he would rather be mum.

It's already a stretch for people to get to the point of understanding that sugar is good.

The rest of the journey to full understanding of health and longevity is not for him to preach, but for each of us to discover.

I think Ray is a very practical person. He can introduce us to very helpful ideas that are not mainstream, but where it can create controversy that puts people off from accepting his ideas, he would rather be mum.

It's already a stretch for people to get to the point of understanding that sugar is good.

The rest of the journey to full understanding of health and longevity is not for him to preach, but for each of us to discover.
You are exactly right :)

Lollipop2

Fred A. Kummerow, a German-born biochemist and lifelong contrarian whose nearly 50 years of advocacy led to a federal government ban on the use of trans-fatty acids in processed foods, a ruling that could prevent tens of thousands of premature deaths a year, died on Wednesday at his home in Urbana, Ill. He was 102.
Dr. Willett, of Harvard, said trans fats had also been implicated in diabetes. In 2001, he co-wrote a paper showing a diet low in trans fats could help prevent Type 2 diabetes in women. “Heart disease was the tip of the iceberg,” he said.

Professor Kummerow was one of the first scientists to suggest that the saturated fat in butter, cheese and meats did not contribute to the clogging of arteries and was in fact beneficial in moderate amounts. This hypothesis, controversial at the time, was proved correct.

His own diet, he said, included red meat, whole milk and eggs scrambled in butter.
Fred A. Kummerow, an Early Opponent of Trans Fats, Dies at 102 (Published 2017)

Urbana, August 20th, 2014

We'd criss-crossed the continent for our previous 5 interviews, but our 6th placed us right in the heart of Jeremy's home state of Illinois. In our sights was Dr. Fred A. Kummerow, Professor Emeritus at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. We can thank Fred for the now widespread understanding of the harms of trans-fats, after he tirelessly crusaded against them for 50 years. Fred had also mentored Professor Chris Masterjohn, wunderkind of cholesterol and lipid research.

After a mini road-trip down to Urbana the night before, we met him at his home for a little filming and lunch. At 100 years-young, Fred (or Kummy as we affectionately call him), is the oldest of our interviewees. He’s in a wheelchair now, but only because of an injury while partaking in a daily swim at 97. We were struck by how nice his skin looked at that age, almost zero “age-spots” (possibly related to his avoidance of polyunsaturated fats but more on that later).

We had a tense beginning (we learned you don’t keep a centenarian waiting), though he soon warmed up to us and we had an enjoyable lunch. He follows a fairly routine diet of an egg, fruit, meat, milk, and vegetables, avoiding fried food, PUFAs, and trans fats.

View: https://vimeo.com/231220953

Rest in Peace. Sad ? - a great one died. Thank you for posting @md_a.

-Luke-

I read about it many years ago lurking on the forum or maybe in one of his articles. I will see what I can find about it.
I had something similar in mind, but all I could find was this podcast with Patrick Timpone. He mentions that he developed leukoplakia after dental x-rays. This is apparently a preliminary stage of a tumor. The conversation begins at around 46:50.

Funny conversation about Peat's age right at the beginning by the way.

I had something similar in mind, but all I could find was this podcast with Patrick Timpone. He mentions that he developed leukoplakia after dental x-rays. This is apparently a preliminary stage of a tumor. The conversation begins at around 46:50.

This is a fantastic interview! I am soaking in every word!

"Most leukoplakia patches are noncancerous (benign), though some show early signs of cancer. Cancers on the bottom of the mouth can occur next to areas of leukoplakia. And white areas mixed in with red areas (speckled leukoplakia) may indicate the potential for cancer."

Here is what RP said about his cancer, in an e-mail to me....

"My wheat germ experience related to decalcifying my teeth; at the time, in Mexico City, is was hard to get good milk.
It was my father who cured his extreme diabetes with a pure brewer’s yeast (high in phosphate) diet for a couple of weeks. When I was in my 40s a doctor friend mentioned (it was summer and I had my shirt off; I stopped consulting doctors at an early age) that one of my moles looked like melanoma; I found that correcting my hormones corrected that one; another doctor a few years later warned me about one on my arm, and adjusting hormones again eliminated it; every few years a mole would start growing and changing quickly, and they always disappeared with more thyroid, etc. It took me a long time to figure out the role of phosphate in cancer." -Ray Peat

Jon2547

So he used wheat germ for treating cancer?

So he used wheat germ for treating cancer?
He was experimenting with it for whatever reason, as it was highly touted in the 60's and 70's, when I was a kid. My father used it liberally too because of it's supposed benefits, but RP discovered instead that it decalcifies teeth and bones and causes cancer. That is why he does not recommend.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals