Fasting Mimicking Diet

Ideonaut

I wondering how the fasting mimicking diet (Here's the strange diet designed to slow down aging) might jibe with the Peat approach.

I'm on the fifth day of trying the diet (you just do it 5 days a month), have lost 13 pounds, and am enthusiastic about adopting it long term.

I know that many here say they've gained weight eating Peaty.

I had a confrontation with my health status last week when I did a 14.4 mile hike on the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington state--7.2 miles uphill. Last summer, before Peating, I did the hike easily (at 65 years old). This time it was very difficult for me. I would have thought that with the assiduous PUFA avoidance and other Peat practices I'd been doing for 9 months or so, my health would have improved a lot. But no, as evidenced by my poor performance on the hike, I think it has gotten worse. It is NOT that I have been exercising less. When I went on the hike I was carrying at least 10 extra pounds that I had gained Peating. For me, anyway, it looks like Peating does not work if I allow weight gain. The fasting mimicking diet gives me optimism that I can take care of this problem.

Milky

I think 5 days in a row is too stressful. Of course you've lost 13 lbs! I've had similar results with a 5:2 plan and limiting to 600-700 calories 1 weekend a month of nothing but non-fat greek yogurt, fruit, and cooked vegetables (green beans, zucchini, and white potatoes). I'm off the wagon in terms of focus right now (just had too many busy weekends in a row) but I think long-term more of a 6:1 "fasting" protocol would work great. 1 day a week is similar to 5 per month and easier to patternize. Just some quick thoughts...good luck!

OP
Ideonaut

Ideonaut

thnx. not too stressful for me. I think I got more done than usual on the 725 calories allowed and felt better in some ways.

Pointless

thnx. not too stressful for me. I think I got more done than usual on the 725 calories allowed and felt better in some ways.

That energy and motivation is stress. The researcher mentions a "clear mindedness". That's cortisol and other stress hormones.

The study is extremely small and short. I would be very careful with this diet.

They said "If the theory stands, I could enjoy a lower risk of cancer, a strengthened immune system, improved cognitive ability and little to no chance of contracting diabetes."

Which diabetes is he talking about, 1 or 2? His chance of getting type 1 is very low and he won't get type 2 unless he became obese. There are benfits to IF but the real benefits are from water only fasting because it is in that state that things happen that do not happen when calories are taken in. There's a whole system that is activated only by that water only fasting state.

Valter D. Longo of USC is doing work on fasting.

“Water-only and other forms of long-term fasting have also been documented to have potent effects on hypertension. An average of 13 days of water-only fasting resulted in the achievement of a systolic blood pressure (BP) below 120 in 82% of subjects with borderline hypertension with a mean 20 mm Hg reduction in BP.”

Dr. Valter Longo - Fasting Cycles Retard Growth of Tumors

Last edited:
OP
Ideonaut

Ideonaut

That energy and motivation is stress. The researcher mentions a "clear mindedness". That's cortisol and other stress hormones.

The study is extremely small and short. I would be very careful with this diet.
They said "If the theory stands, I could enjoy a lower risk of cancer, a strengthened immune system, improved cognitive ability and little to no chance of contracting diabetes."

Which diabetes is he talking about, 1 or 2? His chance of getting type 1 is very low and he won't get type 2 unless he became obese. There are benfits to IF but the real benefits are from water only fasting because it is in that state that things happen that do not happen when calories are taken in. There's a whole system that is activated only by that water only fasting state.

Valter D. Longo of USC is doing work on fasting.

“Water-only and other forms of long-term fasting have also been documented to have potent effects on hypertension. An average of 13 days of water-only fasting resulted in the achievement of a systolic blood pressure (BP) below 120 in 82% of subjects with borderline hypertension with a mean 20 mm Hg reduction in BP.”

Dr. Valter Longo - Fasting Cycles Retard Growth of Tumors
Thanks. I'll have to look into it more. I got the impression from Peat's writings that he doesn't approve of fasting at all. I know that complete fasting--water fasting--is very stressful for me, much more so than this temporary very low cal regimen.

I've been experimenting with intermittent fasting but I haven't done a water only fast yet. I like IF because I want to get back to the point of how I was in my teens and early 20's where I could go long times without eating much because of a youthful metabolism and optimal glycogen storage. IF can help you get back to that point and the more you do it the better you are with "feeling hungry." It's okay to feel hungry and not have to stuff your face every hour everyday. I went to the True North center a few months ago and I saw people doing it. I went to take some classes and not to fast. It's interesting. It's amazing that people can go so many days with just water. They monitor you there so it's safe. They've done over 15,000 fasts over the last 30 years and everyone that's walked in has walked out fine. People do it to reset their taste buds, to cure hypertension, arthritis, and type 2 diabetes. What's interesting about people curing their T2d with water fasting, is that many of them are still overweight after the fast, but their T2d is cured. It's cured because the WF essentially eats up all of the gunk clogging them up and then they eat the starch based, low fat diet so their insulin and blood glucose system works how it should. Then as long as they stick to the diet, they're cured. If they go back to eating pizza, burgers and fries then they'll become diabetic again. What they do is legal and it's not a weird naturopath type of quack place. If they were then they would've been shut down years ago by the feds. People have put themselves in danger by doing WF on "retreats" with people like Doug Graham, author of "80 10 10" and its those people that give WF a bad reputation. True North is the only medically supervised place that does it properly and has a real medical staff there 24 hours. I want to do one someday because I want to experience what it's like to be in ketosis. No, I do not want to try to enter ketosis from a keto diet. I want to do a proper water fast and experience what I consider real ketosis. After about day three hunger is gone and people are waking around and report a sense of clarity and energy. Of course some of that is stress, but nonetheless it's a unique state that is only achieved by ingesting water only. They monitor your ketones and nitrogen in your urine as well as take blood and blood pressure twice a day. If I got to day 5 and felt like I wanted to end it, the good thing is simply sipping some juice puts you right back into sugar burning mode.

Peatish Ninja

Yea water fasting is amazing if done right. You basically need to take time off to do it without causing any real damage. I want to try water fasting with intermittent coffee enemas.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals