My great health is because of longevity expert Ben Greenfield and lactic acid.

area51puy

Forum Supporter
My health wasn’t to bad , but I was getting a little slower with aging and was always into health and trying to stay healthy and I read Ben Greenfield’s book on longevity and up to that point I was doing keto carnivore for a couple of years and took a lot of supplements, some good, some not so good knowing what I know now.

But in greenfield book one of the things he recommended for longevity benefits was methylene blue ,but said he never tried before so me being a lab rat I tried it about a month later after years of being on keto and carnivore type diets, intermittent fasting so I must of wreck my metabolism pretty bad, the only good thing was I stopped eating PUFAs about year before that. Well I tried the methylene blue and for weeks I had lots of energy from it ,probably helping my metabolism and getting rid of excess lactic acid buildup.

So I started googling and searching YouTube for methylene blue and @haidut came up on some podcast and I started listening to him on some other podcast and he mentioned the ray peat forum multiple times.

So before trying methylene blue and feeling the effects I probably wouldn’t been open to ray peats work because I had bought into the hype sugar is bad, but listening to the generative energy podcasts and reading this forum and seeing my health improve and just looking and feeling younger and from all the great advice on this forum and their experiences.

So I’ve been reading this forum for about a year now and learned so much from everybody and I am grateful I found it and thanks to everybody on here and just wish I would found it 10 years earlier.

tankasnowgod

How can anyone in their 30s or 40s be a "Longevity Expert?"

Wouldn't they have to be fairly old, by definition, to really be an "expert?" Like, either running a successful experiment on themselves, or doing long term research on others?

I think the more correct term would be "longevity speculator." Remember, Roy Wolford wrote "The 120 Year Diet" in his 60s, and published other similar works, but only made it to 79 years himself.

golder

Greenfield is a superb marketer. There are glimmers of beneficial information in his work, but the bottom line is that he is an incredible marketer.

Beastmode

I don't think Greenfield considers himself a longevity expert more than a highly curious self experimenter that shares his experiences and speculations of living a long, healthy life.

He's one of the only mainstream "health" guys acknowledge Peat before in a positive light or at all.

Peat is the closest to a longevity expert as he's well into his 80's and has the cognitive capacities we all wish we could access.

TheSir

Peat is the closest to a longevity expert as he's well into his 80's and has the cognitive capacities we all wish we could access.
I've been wondering: how long would Peat have to live in order for his framework to be truly validated? I don't think anything less than 100 would do.

David PS

Wouldn't they have to be fairly old, by definition, to really be an "expert?" Like, either running a successful experiment on themselves, or doing long term research on others?

I think the more correct term would be "longevity speculator." Remember, Roy Wolford wrote "The 120 Year Diet" in his 60s, and published other similar works, but only made it to 79 years himself.
Great points. A longevity salesman, Bill Sardi, recently pasted away.

Last edited:

-Luke-

I've been wondering: how long would Peat have to live in order for his framework to be truly validated? I don't think anything less than 100 would do.
I don't think that will have much of an impact. For people like us, who have benefited from his ideas, it won't make any difference. For the mainstream, most of his ideas will remain crazy even if he lived to be 120 years old. He has already passed the "See, how can that be healthy if he died so young" point.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope, of course, that he will be with us for a long time. As long as he wants.

P

Peatness

My health wasn’t to bad , but I was getting a little slower with aging and was always into health and trying to stay healthy and I read Ben Greenfield’s book on longevity and up to that point I was doing keto carnivore for a couple of years and took a lot of supplements, some good, some not so good knowing what I know now.

But in greenfield book one of the things he recommended for longevity benefits was methylene blue ,but said he never tried before so me being a lab rat I tried it about a month later after years of being on keto and carnivore type diets, intermittent fasting so I must of wreck my metabolism pretty bad, the only good thing was I stopped eating PUFAs about year before that. Well I tried the methylene blue and for weeks I had lots of energy from it ,probably helping my metabolism and getting rid of excess lactic acid buildup.

So I started googling and searching YouTube for methylene blue and @haidut came up on some podcast and I started listening to him on some other podcast and he mentioned the ray peat forum multiple times.

So before trying methylene blue and feeling the effects I probably wouldn’t been open to ray peats work because I had bought into the hype sugar is bad, but listening to the generative energy podcasts and reading this forum and seeing my health improve and just looking and feeling younger and from all the great advice on this forum and their experiences.

So I’ve been reading this forum for about a year now and learned so much from everybody and I am grateful I found it and thanks to everybody on here and just wish I would found it 10 years earlier.
That’s good to hear. Thanks for sharing.

Beastmode

Health span over life span needs distinction in this whole anti aging nonsense out there. I think Peat has already demonstrated this by now.

Think of any famous person who's made it into their 80's and 90's who had a strong capacity to demonstrate a working knowledge of so many facets of life.

Many the elders in my family who well into their 90's and beyond were all very independent close to death, yet had a lot of cognitive decline and weren't inspired to continue learning, extrapolating knowledge and sharing it with others. However, they lived inline with what they valued as a quality life and I think that plays a huge role in "health" span.

tankasnowgod

Think of any famous person who's made it into their 80's and 90's who had a strong capacity to demonstrate a working knowledge of so many facets of life.
Colin Powell apparently had cancer and Parkinsons at 84. George HW Bush was 94, but was in a wheelchair and appeared to be deteriorating for the last 20 years of his life. A couple good examples of life span really outlasting health span.

On the other side, Iron Researcher E.D. Weinberg gave an interview at 93, and his responses indicated he was still pretty sharp. Pat Buchanan is 83, and he has looked and sounded pretty good when I have seen him interviewed, or read anything he wrote. I know Buchanan likes to stay mentally engaged, like Peat does, even though they focus on very different subjects.

TheSir

Health span over life span needs distinction in this whole anti aging nonsense out there.
George HW Bush was 94, but was in a wheelchair and appeared to be deteriorating for the last 20 years of his life. A couple good examples of life span really outlasting health span.
Could we say that experiencing longer deterioration before death is a mark of poorer health? It does seem that the death of the very healthy people is often sudden. One day they're in their full health and the next day they are dead. They don't as much 'succumb to death' as they just 'exit life'. They make full use of their life force until it simply runs out. That's my subjective impression, at least.

Beastmode

Colin Powell apparently had cancer and Parkinsons at 84. George HW Bush was 94, but was in a wheelchair and appeared to be deteriorating for the last 20 years of his life. A couple good examples of life span really outlasting health span.

On the other side, Iron Researcher E.D. Weinberg gave an interview at 93, and his responses indicated he was still pretty sharp. Pat Buchanan is 83, and he has looked and sounded pretty good when I have seen him interviewed, or read anything he wrote. I know Buchanan likes to stay mentally engaged, like Peat does, even though they focus on very different subjects.
Good examples! Very hard to find "old" people who can operate on a brain level like Peat, etc. To me I value being able to move athletically so that will be a metric for me when I'm "old" as a sign of health span, similar to cognitive function.

Lollipop2

Good for you and I completely agree with you, the wisdom, knowledge, resources here on RPF are off the charts amazing. For those of us that have it, we are lucky.

L

Lord Cola

I don't think that will have much of an impact. For people like us, who have benefited from his ideas, it won't make any difference. For the mainstream, most of his ideas will remain crazy even if he lived to be 120 years old. He has already passed the "See, how can that be healthy if he died so young" point.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope, of course, that he will be with us for a long time. As long as he wants.
They would say he had "good genetics".

L

Lord Cola

Could we say that experiencing longer deterioration before death is a mark of poorer health? It does seem that the death of the very healthy people is often sudden. One day they're in their full health and the next day they are dead. They don't as much 'succumb to death' as they just 'exit life'. They make full use of their life force until it simply runs out. That's my subjective impression, at least.
IIRC Ray Peat said when you are healthy your cells die a controlled death whereas unhealthy people's cells can die in a chaotic manner, causing damage to surrounding cells.

Good point :)

yerrag

I'm glad for you putting in words what I can't? The incongruity you lay bare is just all that's needed.

yerrag

I don't think he is going to outlive Gaessens or Enderlein, even as they understand/understood the microbe and relationship to disease much more with their pleomorphic and terrain theory and he doesn't.

Ray understands the metabolic aspect of health quite well but his subscribing to germ theory would be his limit as far as longevity goes.

But I'm glad to be wrong on this though. It's hard to outlive my friends and be the last one standing.

Last edited:

md_a

Fred A. Kummerow, a German-born biochemist and lifelong contrarian whose nearly 50 years of advocacy led to a federal government ban on the use of trans-fatty acids in processed foods, a ruling that could prevent tens of thousands of premature deaths a year, died on Wednesday at his home in Urbana, Ill. He was 102.
Dr. Willett, of Harvard, said trans fats had also been implicated in diabetes. In 2001, he co-wrote a paper showing a diet low in trans fats could help prevent Type 2 diabetes in women. “Heart disease was the tip of the iceberg,” he said.

Professor Kummerow was one of the first scientists to suggest that the saturated fat in butter, cheese and meats did not contribute to the clogging of arteries and was in fact beneficial in moderate amounts. This hypothesis, controversial at the time, was proved correct.

His own diet, he said, included red meat, whole milk and eggs scrambled in butter.
Fred A. Kummerow, an Early Opponent of Trans Fats, Dies at 102 (Published 2017)

Urbana, August 20th, 2014

We'd criss-crossed the continent for our previous 5 interviews, but our 6th placed us right in the heart of Jeremy's home state of Illinois. In our sights was Dr. Fred A. Kummerow, Professor Emeritus at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. We can thank Fred for the now widespread understanding of the harms of trans-fats, after he tirelessly crusaded against them for 50 years. Fred had also mentored Professor Chris Masterjohn, wunderkind of cholesterol and lipid research.

After a mini road-trip down to Urbana the night before, we met him at his home for a little filming and lunch. At 100 years-young, Fred (or Kummy as we affectionately call him), is the oldest of our interviewees. He’s in a wheelchair now, but only because of an injury while partaking in a daily swim at 97. We were struck by how nice his skin looked at that age, almost zero “age-spots” (possibly related to his avoidance of polyunsaturated fats but more on that later).

We had a tense beginning (we learned you don’t keep a centenarian waiting), though he soon warmed up to us and we had an enjoyable lunch. He follows a fairly routine diet of an egg, fruit, meat, milk, and vegetables, avoiding fried food, PUFAs, and trans fats.

View: https://vimeo.com/231220953

FitnessMike

Greenfield is a superb marketer. There are glimmers of beneficial information in his work, but the bottom line is that he is an incredible marketer.
he's got plenty in-depth articles, good info there no doubt