MTOR Increases With Aging/Sarcopenia, (Partial) Inhibition Restores Muscle Mass

OP
Limon9

Limon9

The problem with supplement-heads is that they inevitably end up taking some genuinely versatile and helpful things, a grain of truth which makes people succumb to the marketing. Even Sinclair uses aspirin and vitamins D/K2.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The problem with supplement-heads is that they inevitably end up taking some genuinely versatile and helpful things, a grain of truth which makes people succumb to the marketing. Even Sinclair uses aspirin and vitamins D/K2.
Yes, like the old saying that a broken clock is right twice a day!

frannybananny

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this information @Limon9.
Yes, thank you for the info @Limon9.... it is confusing and a little depressing. Is there no way to stop losing muscle mass except for taking rapamycin? I have lost a lot of muscle in the last few years even though my life is basically the same with moderate hiking and some light weight lifting. @Blossom have you noticed stronger muscles since taking rapa?

joaquin

Yes, thank you for the info @Limon9.... it is confusing and a little depressing. Is there no way to stop losing muscle mass except for taking rapamycin? I have lost a lot of muscle in the last few years even though my life is basically the same with moderate hiking and some light weight lifting. @Blossom have you noticed stronger muscles since taking rapa?
Are you familiar with blood flow restriction? I bought some BFR bands and use them.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don’t think I’ve been in it long enough yet to notice any difference in muscles. I did have some sarcopenia starting in about 2016-2017 that I reversed with lifestyle measures like walking with a weighted vest, sprints and BFR bands as mentioned above.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@frannybananny, from what I’ve read (and remember I’m new to this) people start noticing changes at 3-6 months. Tomorrow will only be my 5th dose.

OP
Limon9

Limon9

In the current environmental conditions, muscle mass is bound to deteriorate with age. Decline in the anabolic/protective hormones, decline in digestive efficiency, impaired autophagy and whatnot all contribute. But rapamycin may help some people.

frannybananny

In the current environmental conditions, muscle mass is bound to deteriorate with age. Decline in the anabolic/protective hormones, decline in digestive efficiency, impaired autophagy and whatnot all contribute. But rapamycin may help some people.
Thank you. I am wary of its other side effects like possible skin cancer and diabetes. Do you take rapamycin? .

frannybananny

I don’t think I’ve been in it long enough yet to notice any difference in muscles. I did have some sarcopenia starting in about 2016-2017 that I reversed with lifestyle measures like walking with a weighted vest, sprints and BFR bands as mentioned above.
Thanks Blossom! Do let us know any changes as you continue with the rapamycin.....appreciate it.

frannybananny

Great info, thank you.

I've been taking low doses of rapamycin for for just under a month now, as I detailed in the other thread, and my strength in the gym has been excellent as of late. Not that I think the rapa is necessarily causing an increase in strength, but it certainly doesn't seem to be hurting.
What do you think of HMB? Have you ever taken it to preserve muscle mass? What is HMB and Why Could it be Important for Aging Muscles?.

frannybananny

Hmm, this is the first I've heard of it, so I can't really comment. Just googling it, I don't think I would personally take a metabolite of an amino acid, as I generally don't do well with isolated amino acids themselves.
Okay, thank you for your input. ♥

David PS

What do you think of HMB? Have you ever taken it to preserve muscle mass? What is HMB and Why Could it be Important for Aging Muscles?.
In case you did not notice this recent thread.

frannybananny

In case you did not notice this recent thread.
Yes, thanks David, I am following this other thread.... I could not tell from the title if it was the hesperidin in the orange juice itself they were talking about or adding powdered hesperidin to the orange juice. But I must say that my husband drinks at least 2-3 full glasses of commercial orange juice a day (for many years) and is just recently been noticing some sarcopenia himself and he is a big strong man, very fit and active. I don't drink orange juice myself unles it is fresh squeezed.

David PS

Yes, thanks David, I am following this other thread.... I could not tell from the title if it was the hesperidin in the orange juice itself they were talking about or adding powdered hesperidin to the orange juice. But I must say that my husband drinks at least 2-3 full glasses of commercial orange juice a day (for many years) and is just recently been noticing some sarcopenia himself and he is a big strong man, very fit and active. I don't drink orange juice myself unles it is fresh squeezed.
I scan a number of threads without participating. It is good that you are doing the same. As I have thought about what I do that might be helpful to others reading this thread. I mix creatine into my morning coffee.

I also started taking HMB this summer.

I also monitor my bone weight once a month or so with a biometric scale that I keep in my bathroom cabinet. I was surprised that the weight of my bones has increased over the past several years.

sunny

I scan a number of threads without participating. It is good that you are doing the same. As I have thought about what I do that might be helpful to others reading this thread. I mix creatine into my morning coffee.

I also started taking HMB this summer.

I also monitor my bone weight once a month or so with a biometric scale that I keep in my bathroom cabinet. I was surprised that the weight of my bones has increased over the past several years.
Which scale did you go with? Are you using LE hmb product?

David PS

Which scale did you go with? Are you using LE hmb product?
I purchased the least expensive biometric scale from RENPRO that was compatible with my cell phone. The price has come down since I purchased mine and there is a much wider selection. The scale that I purchased is currently listed as the best seller. It shows no sign of wear. As a general rule, I try to stay away from biohacking hardware. The scale is an exception to that rule.

Similarly, I prefer to purchase the expensive supplements. My creatine is from Bulk Supplements. I am on my first bottle of HMB (from Nutricost) an will most likely switch to Bulk Supplements here as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals