Oldest (109) WWII Vet Eats Milk, Ice Cream And Soup, Coffee

Queequeg

I think doing what these really old guys do is not a great idea. They are the X-men of aging.

James ardagna

Have just been to see Hidden Figures, the inspirational story of Katherine Johnson who was a child prodigy in the field of mathematics. She ended up working for NASA during the sixties and was instrumental in getting the re-entry coordinates right. John Glenn wouldn't go into space until Johnson had done the calculations for him. Anyway, I couldn't help thinking that she was probably born with high progesterone (I remember Peat talking about predictors of intelligence being a combination of progesterone and sugar during pregnancy). Her diet probably helped her to maintain high progesterone levels throughout her life. She is still alive today (98 years) and eats boiled eggs, bacon and coffee so strong that it needs watering down.

paka

well he is very skinny, my grandparents are also very skinny and old.

Being skinny = live longer?

tankasnowgod

well he is very skinny, my grandparents are also very skinny and old.

Being skinny = live longer?

I think it's mainly because older people lose their appetite as they age. Lots of older people are very frail, and they lose a lot of muscle mass.

Herbie

I think its better to be overweight coming in to old age so that if you get sick and can't eat for a bit you have energy reserve.

tankasnowgod

I think its better to be overweight coming in to old age so that if you get sick and can't eat for a bit you have energy reserve.

I disagree. I think it's better to be fit and active. Not overweight, and certainly not underweight. Joe Rollino is a great example. Lived to 104, and walked five miles every morning, rain or shine. And even at 104, his death was due to being struck by a minivan, not disease or "natural causes"- The Great Joe Rollino, Bender of Steel, Is Dead at 104

Herbie

I interpret skinny as being underweight with lack of muscle and fat. Overweight doesn't mean not fit and active. Overweight and obese are two very different states.

schultz

the great war.

Isn't the great war WW1?

See what @tyw said here:

"TL;DR -- Centenarians have insanely efficient mitochondria that produce a lot of metabolic end products (CO2!!!) and produce very little Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS).

That's interesting because in another post he made it seem like what's so great about CO2?

This study, was used to support the idea that fructose causes increase in CO2. So what? What do CO2 magically do?

Apparently helps you live longer :eek:

Repas du soir

I'm guessing pipe smoking would be the best way to get nicotine/tobacco. You don't inhale it, and I'm assuming it's cheaper than cigars?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals