Ray Peat Diet, Food Choices, And General Guidelines

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
I don't know because I'm not burtlan, but environmental influences other than diet are usually neglected.
Our food choices are in response to the environment. That's not to say it isn't a cycle, that an extremely unnatural diet can't initiate a negative cycle, but people would not find those foods as attractive or be willing to engage in risky lifestyle behaviors as they may be when stressed, just like the rats that didn't find cocaine appealing when they were in a good place.

It seems that everyone is doing the best that they know in all aspects, especially when it comes to quiet down stressors. Even self-harm seems to go beyond a call for attention, probably being an attempt to divert psychological pain to something physical, it isn't a suicide attempt, there are various ways that are much more effective to do it if someone wanted to; maybe a distraction from suffering in a sense.

So it's varied:
Book Series: Vitamins And Hormones
We're moving beings, a guy named Katsunari Nishihara wrote how this is one of the core aspects that differ ourselves from plants: we have to move to obtain our food. If the soil is poor, the plants are screwed, however animals can migrate. Immobilization is a big stressor, just as confinement or isolation. Poor schools, jobs, etc, are confining in way since you have to remain in your position for some time and on top of that being told what to do.

If people cared to read "Spooning made easy" by our dear hamster in depth they should associate it with this.

Agent207 uses a Hershey's Kisses helmet because he's a believer that EM radiation is a major stressor.

It's multifactorial..

Thats interesting about @Agent207 i would like to see that...

EMF is definitely an issue but it is not properly understood by most people. I can understand the sensitivities that people report about being effected by electro-magnetic fields but there is a lot of confusion around this subject and i think its important to know what the real problem is.

In the years my health had really declined i was so sensitive to everything; food, environment, EMF. If i walked in to a commercial building like a mall, i felt like i was literally going to pass out. I researched for many years looking to understand the cause of my sensitivity to EMF, i did not seem so bothered near cell towers but in big buildings like shopping plazas i felt awful and wondered if this may be also effecting me at home on some level.

The real problem with EMF is not the wiring in the house its by whats called dirty electricity or dirty power, it has to do with the transient frequencies, harmonics, and other noise on electrical wiring. It can be generated inside buildings by electronic equipment and it can enter the home through wiring from nearby sources including wireless telecommunication antennas connected to the power grid. When the capacity of the primary neutral on distribution lines is exceeded, current runs along the ground and enters homes via grounded water and gas pipes.

“An estimate of the prevalence of self-reported hypersensitivity to electric or magnetic fields is between 1 and 2 percent in the general Swedish population (Hillert et al. 2002). Symptoms include headaches, flu-like symptoms, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, poor quality sleep, tightness in the chest, eye discomfort, skin disorders, dizziness, nausea, and difficulty concentrating (Levallois, 2002).”

http://docs.stetzerelectric.com/Havas-Stetzer-London-2004.pdf

Here is a page with several more excellent research studies.

http://www.stetzerelectric.com/category/research/

Stetzerizer Filters are the only product i know that really works to mitigate the problems of dirty electricity in the home.

“The Stetzerizer Filter is designed to filter harmonics and other high frequency current (trash) from the electrical environment, thereby reducing the potential for leakage into the human environment and creating additional trash in non-liner loads (televisions, computers, variable frequency drives, energy-efficient lighting, etc.).” STETZERiZER® Store

*But there is still the issue with us spending large parts of our life under fluorescent lights having overly blue wavelengths and leaking mercury fumes, my hope is that parents and teachers who can have influence in there school district will rally to have their schools change the florescent bulbs for LED lights, they make retro fits so the whole fixture does not need to be replaced, and LED replacements can be made with more biologically favorable wavelengths of light.

https://epidemicanswers.org/light-sensitivity-and-autism-adhd-spd-developmental-delays/

Plus its economical, school districts will save money, LED replacements run on lower wattage and last hundred of times longer..:emoji_trophy:

VAHEVAHE

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am 45 male and I am obese. I have a fatty liver and I am borderline diabetic. I am interested in the Ray Peat style diet. Would this type of diet harm me in my current condition?

Thanks!

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am 45 male and I am obese. I have a fatty liver and I am borderline diabetic. I am interested in the Ray Peat style diet. Would this type of diet harm me in my current condition?

Thanks!

I think thats too general a question for anyone to answer, it would be good to take some time and follow different threads see what other folks are doing and jump in some of the discussions.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

tara

Hi VAHAVAHE,
I agree with Daniel above.
People here have found various ways to use Peat's ideas, some with good success, some with less, and with quite diverse versions of diets.
I would recommend reading some of Peat's article's and interviews (Ray Peat Resources & Quotes | Ray Peat Forum), and considering which things you want to try. There doesn't seem to be a single one size fits all diet that works for everyone - there is learning and trying things and paying attention to how your body responds. Not everyone here interprets Peat the same way or eats the same way.
Welcome and good luck.

AJA

I need to cut way back on chicken. Thank you for compiling the information.

jrs261994

Ray Peats own personal diet...

Ray Peats own personal diet from:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/AV ... ssage/5523

Okay, Bruce, this is a summary from my correspondance with her about
what Ray Peat eats (or ate, if he's changed things) and what he
recommends. This is from 2005.

- dairy, fruit and meat are the core of his diet.

dairy for the protein, calcium, and other nutrients
fruits (or other sugars as 2nd choice) for the KAs and EAAs
gelatin to balance the aminos and to replace the need for eating
animal brains and other organs muscle meat as a supplement for
protein magnesium, etc.

- he gets from 120 to 150 grams of protein per day. Doesn't feel quite
right when he goes as low as 100. A few quarts of milk, several ounces
of cheese, gelatin in some form (broth, chicharrones, gummy bears,
etc.), at least a quart of orange juice (or equivalent other fruit),
and the occasional (rotating) eggs, shellfish, fish, and beef, bison,
or lamb, in one or two of his meals.

- says one must always balance protein with sugar (fruit being the
best) because protein alone lowers blood sugar and you need the sugar
to better metabolize the protein. So when he eats protein, he eats
sugar with it: about 1:1 fruit to meat, and about 2:1 fruit to cheese.

- says best to limit meat due to the tryptophan and antimetabolic
properties, but it can be handled if consumed with fruit and gelatin.
He does eat meat almost every day, or just beef or lamb broth When
the meat is aged he doesn't like the taste so he doesn't eat much of it.

- he eats meat with gelatin. The gelatin can be either from regular
powder or from broth cooked no more than 3 hours (otherwise you
degrade the nutrients he says).

- he avoids all fatty fish.

- says chicken should be eaten no more than one meal every 10 days due
to toxins and PUFAs.

- eggs where the chickens are fed corn and soy should be minimally
consumed (for him 2 per week if that), and with one egg you need about
10 ounces of OJ to balance it (because egg protein is a powerful
insulin activator).

- he eats shellfish about once every ten days. Shrimp, scallops,
lobsters have a high ratio of protein to unsaturated fat and help to
insure adequate selenium. Cooks them thoroughly, having known people
who got hepatitis from raw seafood.

- rotates his animal protein sources only because he gets tired of the
same meals, no health reason

- he avoids most vegetables due to their intrinsic (defensive) toxins.
He occasionally makes leaf broth for some extra minerals, but usually
prefers for a cow to process them for him. Mainly he thinks of them as
condiments.

- underground (root/tuber) vegetables are okay if cooked for about 40
minutes, and fruit-vegetables (tomatoes, peppers) are okay if you're
not allergic to them.

- he avoids all other above-ground vegetables, including greens and
many herbs (basil, etc) due to toxins (even if cooked) that far
outweigh the benefits.

- says that cooked young squashes are generally good for everyone, and
although raw shredded carrots are "nutrient subtractive," it's good to
have a plate of them every day because they lower estrogen (and thus
stimulate the thyroid) and accelerate peristalsis.

- he avoids fermented foods. Stopped using black pepper (a fermented
food, apparently) about 30 years ago when he saw the toxicity studies.
Avoids things like apple cider because it is frequently contaminated
with fungal poisons. Says that the more nutritious it is, the more
likely to contain fungal estrogen and other harmful things, unless you
know the actual materials and process used in making it.
Lacto-fermented foods are carcinogenic. Cheese is okay being fermented
because of the strong nutrients in the milk to start with that
vegetables don't have.

- says reason for people's negative reactions to dairy (if the milk
isn't contaminated) is from either preexisting gut damage (from
gluten, for example) or from a low thyroid or protein deficiency
problem. People who are under stress from low thyroid or protein
deficiency have considerable trouble adapting he says, but with
gradual changes (adding dairy back in) the tissues will adjust and do
what they have to do.

- says to eat liver only occasionally because it depresses the thyroid.

- he doesn't eat fruits with seeds that can't be avoided (berries,
figs, etc) because while the antioxidants are good, the benefits are
less than the toxins in the seeds. Other fruits like peaches, plums,
apples, etc should only be eaten if organic and tree-ripened;
otherwise they have very powerful toxins (if unripe or shelf-ripened)
that can cause gut damage. Melons, cherries, and citrus are the best
fruits.

- when off-season, says it's better to eat frozen fruit and juice
rather than rely on importation because many studies show that storage
methods and stress from importation and treatments make them carcinogenic.

- with cheese and milk, the feeding of the animals (grassfed vs.
grainfed) is more the issue than raw vs. pasteurized.

- he avoids all grains. Traditional "proper preparation" methods used
throughout the world to render them less harmful involved using
alkaline mediums such as wood ash (as opposed to "acidic" as Sally
Fallon suggests) and "lime" as in calcium oxide (as opposed to "lime
or lemon juice" as Sally Fallon asserts). Research shows that that
these methods will convert some of the tryptophan to niacin. Using
whey would be especially ineffective as well as problematic due to the
tryptophan.

Why does Ray Peat say no PUFAs- specifically nuts & seeds?

Aurélien HENRY

10 Health Benefits of Gelatin

10 Health Benefits of Gelatin
http://healthmad.com/nutrition/10-healt ... f-gelatin/

Muscle growth: According to the Gelatin Manufacturers Institute of America, gelatin contains lysine, an amino acid that is important for muscle growth. It would seem, then, that eating gelatin would help growing muscles, especially for athletes and those who want a more muscular build.

Metabolism: Gelatin contains another amino acid, arginine, which is supposed to help the body’s metabolism. A stronger metabolism means more calories are getting burned, so it’s not impossible eating some gelatin could help you lose weight. However, a word of warning: One study has found that an arginine supplement could be deadly to those who have suffered a heart attack; so if you’ve had a heart attack, foods containing arginine are probably not right for you. Check with your doctor or cardiologist.

Losing weight: Gelatin does not contain fat and usually has no sugar or cholesterol in it. Which means gelatin is a pretty good food for those of us watching our waistlines. Jell-O even makes sugar free and low calories desserts, if you are interested.

Joint conditions: Suffering from stiff or sore joints? Gelatin might be able to help, especially before the condition worsens. Gelatin contains lots of amino acids important in helping to prevent the weakness and degeneration of cartilage in joints. Gelatin likely won’t help to heal a joint condition, but it possibly could prevent the situation from growing worse.

Finger nails: Remember all those amino acids in gelatin? They also help to strengthen finger nails and over a period of time can help to heal up cracked or roughened finger nails. Also, gelatin has a lot of protein, which is good for nails. If you suffer from weak nails, especially ones that break easily, you might want to try some gelatin in your diet.

Hair: Gelatin is also known to help hair grow stronger, faster and longer. Gelatin also helps to keep hair healthy and shiny. What is it about gelatin that promotes all this great hair? It’s the high amounts of protein. Just in case you need to know for dietic or religious purposes, most gelatins sold in stores are made from animal; however, gelatins can be made from some plants, most notably seaweed, so check those ingredient labels on the boxes of gelatin you might consider purchasing.

Protein boost: Gelatin itself has a lot of protein, but unfortunately nearly all that protein is protein the body can already make for itself. Thus a diet in gelatin alone is not healthy. That being said, studies have shown that the protein in gelatin does help give a boost to proteins in other foods. In other words, just as an example, if you eat a steak full of protein then add a little gelatin to your meal, the protein in the gelatin helps the protein in the steak to be more nutritional for your body. So, if you need protein, you know what to do. Add a little gelatin to your diet.

Drink purifier: According to the Gelatin Manufacturers Association of Asia Pacific, gelatins are often used in the making of alcoholic beverages, such as wine and beer, and even in some juices and ciders. The reason for this is that gelatin acts to congeal impurities, allowing for easier separation of the impurities from the drink itself. If you happen to be a home brewer or juicer, I suggest contacting the folks at Knox gelatin for any recipe advice.

Skin health: Gelatins are used in plenty of cosmetics. Why? For two reasons. First, the gelatin acts as a thickening agent, thus helping makeup and other cosmetics to remain to the skin longer and more easily. Second, we’re back to the proteins again. All that protein in gelatins is good for keeping up a good looking skin tone.

Digestion: Gelatin can also help with digestion, especially with foods that can be rough on the digestive system, such as meats and dairy and nuts and even some beans. The gelatin helps these foods to ease through the stomach and intestines.

Hi ! I am a bodybuilder that wants to put jis health first, I was wondering, as i eat a lot of meat I want to reduce the negative impact of the food and I don't know how much gelatine per meat portion should i eat, any guideline? Thank you very much in advance for the answer !

somuch4food

Hi ! I am a bodybuilder that wants to put jis health first, I was wondering, as i eat a lot of meat I want to reduce the negative impact of the food and I don't know how much gelatine per meat portion should i eat, any guideline? Thank you very much in advance for the answer !

Here's what I found on another thread:
Ray peat quote "if a half-pound of steak is eaten, it would probably be reasonable to have about 20 grams of gelatin at approximately the same time."
Cartilage and collagen has about 33 percent protein.
100 grams of muscle meat needs about 8 grams of gelatin, that is about 25 grams of cartilage or collagen.

somuch4food

That's great thank you. I ap thinking about making a bone broth. But I guess that would be around 1 cup of broth for half pound of meat ? Plezse correct me if I am wrong

I've checked various commercial broths on Cronometer. They have anywhere from 5 to 20 proteins per cup. I would say 1 cup/one fourth of a pound. It's all guesses at that point. If you're broth is very gelatinous, maybe you can take less and if it's clearer, take a bit more. No need to worry about a perfect balance.

Aurélien HENRY

Thank you very much for all the informations. It is nice to see people that want to spread the good informations around.
This website become kind of my bible when it comes to nutrition with Ray Peat's own website.
Keep on the good work :)

Lenny

Thank you for this post

What about dried parsley? Is it a good source of apiginin?

Also, I found this loophole:

Unless you are buying eggs from a verified grass-fed, free range source he recommends limiting them to one or two a day,

eggs where the chickens are fed corn and soy should be minimally
consumed (for him 2 per week if that),

Which is best? :)

Last edited:

berk

- says one must always balance protein with sugar (fruit being the
best) because protein alone lowers blood sugar and you need the sugar
to better metabolize the protein. So when he eats protein, he eats
sugar with it: about 1:1 fruit to meat, and about 2:1 fruit to cheese.

I always make sure to eat starches with fruit or sucrose to prevent the spike in and drop in blood sugar.

ray talking about balance ratio protein with sugar (see first quote)
What ratio does he recommend for balance starch with fruit?

most weird is he use sucrose to prevent the spike in and drop in blood sugar???
Sucrose has a gi index of 65!!
that the same high't like white rice or oats have.
So confused why ray eat sucrose (table sugar) to prevert spike's

Gone Peating

Starch has a much higher gi index than sucrose

Aymen

Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals