Listening to my cravings

leo

Subtracting the week I took a break to sort out my bp issues, I have been eating high fruit, milk cheese and enjoying better mood and sleep. I never got around to adding the oj back in and won't for now.

During this time I also ate beef, lamb, broth and liver once or twice. Shellfish always.

However....my body...my instincts...my taste buds etc are leaning very fruitarian now for some reason....I don't want animal protein. Except for milk/cheese. In other words....no meats. I still have appetite for seafood however.

It's funny because Peat told me to watch my iron intake, but even before he said that I wasn't looking forward to my meaty meals anymore. It's like my body was already telling me to back away.

Now the problem is getting at least 80 g of protein a day. I am doing 10 tbsp of gelatin so that gives me 60. A few glasses of milk and some cheese to add to that but it's getting hard. No access to organic eggs at the moment and don't know how long the farm will take to reopen.

Anyway....just wondering if I'm ok healthwise with so much gelatin? Don't get any digestive upset at all.

4peatssake

Ray Peat said:
In some of the older studies, therapeutic results improved when the daily gelatin was increased. Since 30 grams of glycine was commonly used for treating muscular dystrophy and myasthenia gravis, a daily intake of 100 grams of gelatin wouldn't seem unreasonable, and some people find that quantities in that range help to decrease fatigue. For a growing child, though, such a large amount of refined gelatin would tend to displace other important foods. The National Academy of Sciences recently reviewed the requirements for working adults (male and female soldiers, in particular), and suggested that 100 grams of balanced protein was needed for efficient work. For adults, a large part of that could be in the form of gelatin.
Gelatin, stress, longevity

leo

Good to know....thanks!!

Do you think collagen is as good as the gelatin? I have both.

4peatssake

leo said:
Good to know....thanks!!

Do you think collagen is as good as the gelatin? I have both.
Yes, I think it's as good. I have both as well but actually prefer the green can (collagen).
But if I'm making gummies or other gelatinous dessert I use the regular gelatin.

For some people, the hydrolyzed gelatin (collagen) is easier on digestion.