Ray Peat Diet, Food Choices, And General Guidelines

Birdie

Yogurt, especially greek, is more condensed than cottage cheese. Yes, they both have whey removed. Yes, that part of the Ca would be removed.

Peat says cottage cheese can be added to ice cream for extra protein.
I use Daisy 2%. I buy the larger carton and rinse it ahead of time.

Here is my hubs' dinner:
Amounts vary-
HD vanilla
Cot cheese
2% gk yogurt
oj jello
canned peaches

I do not use ice cream and get most of my fat early in the day. Fat early is contrary to the ideal but works better for me so far. Keeps hunger at bay and, importantly, keeps reflux away when I do fat earlier. And, thank you, narouz, keeping my fat lower will help my liver get happy again.

Milly

Thank you everybody for so much information. It will take me a while understand it all. Is there a brand of gelatine that I have to buy and how do I take it - not something I have ever eaten. Not a huge meat eater either so the broth sounds like a better option for me. Does anyone have a recipe for this.
Thanks.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Milly said:
Thank you everybody for so much information. It will take me a while understand it all. Is there a brand of gelatine that I have to buy and how do I take it - not something I have ever eaten. Not a huge meat eater either so the broth sounds like a better option for me. Does anyone have a recipe for this.
Thanks.
Great Lakes Gelatin is the one a lot of people use.

himsahimsa

Tahini

Tahini is made from sesame seed and is high in PUFA.
One ounce, about two tablespoons has 5.9 grams of it.
(According to http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut ... cts/3154/2)

By comparison, an ounce of avocado, listed in the seriously ungood column, has less than 1/2 gram of PUFA.

Admittedly you are likely to eat more avocado at one sitting, twelve ounces would be about a cup and a half (that's quit a lot, probably two servings) would equal the PUFA in two ounces of tahini and two ounces of tahini is about a serving .... so probably a serving of avocado (~6oz) would end up providing half the PUFA of the tahini. Anyway...

I love them both but am avoiding them.

jyb

Talking about tahini, I looked at some vacation pictures of a friend in Turkey. One was shots of a meal. Every single item, from appetizer to desert, involved loads of pufa. It was considered local and good quality food. I don't know if its representative, but in comparison a Western fast food chain meal seemed healthy: only a few items like fries are pufa fried...

MayaNayman

So, can I eat fruits separately? Can I mix melons with other fruits? Is it good to mix whole milk, orange juice, fruits, root veggies? Can I drink milk separately?

tara

Welcome MayaNayman :welcome

You decide what you can eat. :)

In general, I think Peat favours eating mixed meals that contain carbohydrate, protein, and a little fat.
He would recommend balancing protein with enough sugar to prevent blood sugars dipping and triggering reactive stress hormones. A little fat (saturated), helps absorb nutrients from food. He has said that 'food combining' diets (which involve not combining foods) don't absorb and digest as well as mixed meals. I haven't read anything from him specifically about eating melon with or without other fruits.
For those of us who have trouble keeping blood sugar stable through the day, he recommends several small meals, rather than one or two large ones. If eating starchy foods, he recommends a having something sweet too. If you eat a lot of carbs in one go, it's good to have some protein with it too.

So as long as you don't personally react badly to it, mixing whole milk, orange juice, fruits, and root veggies should fit in with this. Good to aim for at least 80g protein/day, spread through the day - many people do better with more than this. I think Peat has said it's OK to drink orange juice by itself between meals; I expect other fruit by itself or with milk or cheese would be OK too as a snack between meals, as long as it agrees with you. If you feel good with this, that's a good sign. If not, it might take some tweaking to suit you, eg proportions, salt.

barbwirehouse

Why aren't tubers, roots, shoots and fruit-vegetables included in the image?

- underground (root/tuber) vegetables are okay if cooked for about 40
minutes, and fruit-vegetables (tomatoes, peppers) are okay if you're
not allergic to them.

says that cooked young squashes are generally good for everyone

uuy8778yyi

barbwirehouse said:

not allergic to them.

are we looking at the same image ? they are

barbwirehouse

uuy8778yyi said:
barbwirehouse said:

not allergic to them.

are we looking at the same image ? they are

Yea. Like 3. :roll:

LucH

Exerpt:
"Regarding bacon, Peat says, “The nitrate isn't likely to be a problem if you eat it with orange juice. I fry the bacon to remove some of the fat, and then refry it in coconut oil, to remove most of the PUFA.”

Trying to go deeply in RP diet, I read this above.
Right but not like this. I explain.
acid L-ascorbic prevents nitrates from upgrading into nitrites and nitrosamines. Ok.
But not when there are 10 % fat in the meal.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/81612.php
Rather than inhibiting the production of nitrosamines, it boosts it between 8 and 140 fold.
Comment: If you don't do that with smoked salmon, it won't be too damaging. Take 4 mg astaxanthin the meal before, and it will neutralize the processus.

Explanation:
why vitamin C prevents the reaction of nitric acid with amines:
Add lemon juice (or drink water with a pinch of ascorbic acid) is a good idea since the ascorbic acid will react with nitrites to give a NO molecule (nitrite + acid => Nitric Oxide).
No problems here. There are no amines.

But if you eat fat at the same time, nitric oxide may interact with fat and then react with oxygen to form nitrosamines, which will in turn generate toxic chemical derivatives ...
Now in the salmon you have amines (meat = amino acids) + fat.
This is not a good idea to add here the lemon juice on it or to drink a fruit juice with orange.
LucH

Hello, I've recently registered to join. I'm a mother of five with four grandchildren and have been searching for answers to why we aren't as robust as previous generations in my family. In answer to the amino acid post, the gastroenterologist gave me a hydrolysed protein baby formula to try with digestive enzymes . Since adding the formula I've noticed an overall improvement as in hair, also tolerance to dairy, and neurotransmitter wise.I didn't take it at first as it does have PUFA but since it's only a scoop I took it in desperation one day.It seems to be having a positive effect for me.Reading everything with interest as it seems to be " the missing link". Ray Peats style is similar to my Dads who is 98 this year & never took notice of my previous " health tips " ( supplements, low fat, no salt or sugar etc) over the years thank goodness.

johnwester130

I personally believe refined white corn flour is better than the reccomended masa harina

refining does remove the PUFA, phytic acid, and fibre, and I feel it digests easier than masa harina, which is equivalent to the whole grain corn

It is leterally a blob of starch and very safe, with no gluten,

masa just feels a bit more difficult in the body

Tired

What is the difference between pork and beef gelatin,is there any value from organic orngrass fed gelatin!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals