- One quart of orange juice
- One or two quarts of 1%-fat milk
- Two or three ounces of hard cheese
- One carrot
- Coconut oil
- Beef liver/seafood intermittently
- Salt to taste.

(extras: gelatin, coffee, one egg)

People have inferred these food choices from Dr. Peat's emails and from Danny Roddy's youtube vlogs. But:

how many have actually succeeded eating like this long-term?

VitoScaletta

It's very individualistic in regard to what diet works for people, especially for people on this forum which may have many health issues. This diet model is simply what worked for RP at certain times.

OP
Limon9

Limon9

This diet model is simply what worked for RP at certain times.
That's not right. Here he frames something similar (and even more liquidy!) as a "quick therapy diet" which is often recommended. But... people are still too keen to thoughtlessly emulate.

Jessie

No one that's actually hypothyroid, that's for sure. Way too much liquid for people who are already low on the metabolic spectrum.

Ray dosen't have a diet...period. In fact, he has explicitly stated in several interviews that a perfect diet doesn't exist and it's based on contextual needs.

As long as you're eating carbs, restricting phosphate, and avoiding harmful oils and thickeners (like carrageenan & gum) then you're following Ray's dietary recommendations.

He gave people generalized principles, not a food pyramid. He used milk because it's a good source of calcium. He used juice because it's a good source of carbs and minerals. He used gelatin because it's a good source of protein.

The why is more important than the what. Kale and potatoes can be just as "peaty" as milk and cheese. You gotta find what works for you.

Jennifer

. . . by which I mean the liquidy (hopefully not intravenous) basal diet:

- One carrot
- Coconut oil
- Salt to taste.

People have inferred these food choices from Dr. Peat's emails and from Danny Roddy's youtube vlogs. But:

🙋🏻‍♀️ I have. I don’t eat liver or seafood, though. I use mushroom broth for trace minerals. Oh, and I don’t drink OJ. I like honeydew melon juice and fruit teas instead, but I get 2+ liters worth, along with 2 liters of milk. I prefer a higher liquid diet—technically, milk forms curds so not completely liquid, IMO—because I need a lot of calories relative to my size and it prevents having an uncomfortably full belly.

I do better with high carbs and some dairy.

I don’t eat all that sugar anymore, or drink liters of milk or OJ.

I eat a lot of carbs in the form of masa harina, and white rice. I use collagen, and drink lots of coffee. I have maybe 1/2 liter of milk a day, and some cheese, and some well cooked veggies and some ice cream and a bit of fish or meat (maybe 3 or 4 ounces).

I’m doing much better than I used to with all that milk and OJ.

I’m slowing losing fat and feeling fewer days with endotoxin symptoms than I used to with the “hospital diet.”

OP
Limon9

Limon9

No one that's actually hypothyroid, that's for sure. Way too much liquid for people who are already low on the metabolic spectrum.

<There is no Ray Peat Diet>
Yes. Liquid might be worse than starch for a low-thyroid person - one's forced to choose between constant osmotic upsets and persorption/endotoxemia/blah. As people become sicker it becomes harder to fix things with just diet.

The last part is true; it's become a disclaimer to stem the flood of viral distortions (while Aspirin causes carrot salad meme-hemorrhages on Instagram). Dr. Peat having done so much via the humble telephone inspires me to taper my use of digital technology.

1990s "Peaty": swap your chicken for beef or milk
2020s "Peaty": well you need a cupboardful of Bulgarian HRT, a red light machine, three antibiotics, you need to sleep inside a CO2-canister-filled garbage bag, and can I interest you in some Mexican blood pressure medication?

Jessie

Yes. Liquid might be worse than starch for a low-thyroid person - one's forced to choose between constant osmotic upsets and persorption/endotoxemia/blah. As people become sicker it becomes harder to fix things with just diet.

The last part is true; it's become a disclaimer to stem the flood of viral distortions (while Aspirin causes carrot salad meme-hemorrhages on Instagram). Dr. Peat having done so much via the humble telephone inspires me to taper my use of digital technology.

1990s "Peaty": swap your chicken for beef or milk
2020s "Peaty": well you need a cupboardful of Bulgarian HRT, a red light machine, three antibiotics, you need to sleep inside a CO2-canister-filled garbage bag, and can I interest you in some Mexican blood pressure medication?
I agree 100%. That's why I love reading my stockpile of old newsletters. Even if I don't agree with Ray on something, I'd rather have Peat's actual view and perspective on it, rather a "peatarian's" perspective on it. If that makes any sense.

Phaedrus

. . . by which I mean the liquidy (hopefully not intravenous) basal diet:

- One carrot
- Coconut oil
- Salt to taste.

I tried that for a couple days and it’s hard to feel sated in my opinion. It also felt like too much liquid on top of the coffee I already drink throughout the day, and I felt hungry all the time. I do much better with some starches mixed in like potatoes, my homemade sourdough bread, or breakfasts with oats or oat bran.

I will plug the idea that if you want to experiment that diet but don’t want all the liquids, try using orange juice concentrate and mixing it with the milk to make smoothies. That might be a better bet for practical reasons. Or conversely, substituting some of the fresh milk with dry powdered milk.

Vileplume

I do great with large amounts (a gallon+) of milk. But I cannot do that much juice or coffee.

Razvan

No Orange juice, only milk, beef, eggs, oysters, ice cream, sugar coffee, coke, jam, fruits and honey.
No starch + sugar+ salty fatty animal foods is the key to a spicy life.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals