Ray's Quick Therapy Diet: 2 Quarts Of Milk And 2 Quarts Of Orange Juice Per Day

Kasper

The "glyciymic index" is another big misunderstanding health/nutriton. Your blood glucose is supposed to rise after eating. That is the whole point of eating; low blood glucose.

What do you mean with this? I think everyone agrees that the blood glucose should rise after eating, the point of GI, is to see how much it will rise as I understand. And if it rises too much, there will be a higher insulin response right?

Zachs

High insulin is a good thing as long as you arnt insulin resistant. Insulin is anabolic.

800mRepeats

Using supplements to replace real foods usually is a mistake. If I were you I would eat the egg. If you like honey, and it's non allergenic to you, then eat that versus pure sugar.

Because sugar is hypoallergenic, honey is not. If someone is trying this diet to eliminate issues and doesn't want cofounders than taking out potentially allergic things to begin with is smart. Also 1 egg yolk isn't enough to help with anything and eggs are another potentially allergenic food.

If someone wants to do the OJ and milk thing then do oj and milk. Add sugar for extra cals.

You two are having the same discussion I was having in my head when I decided go with the honey and egg yolk!

I don't know that either honey or egg yolks agree with me; I also don't know that they don't. I can say that I didn't grow up eating/liking either of them - honey just wasn't in the house as an option, but I didn't like eggs at that time. I started to eat eggs at some point in the past 10 years because I thought they might have "health benefits." I've come to enjoy them, but sometimes wonder ...

I like Zachs' logic - to use table sugar and ditch the egg yolks for the time being to see how things go without them. Then, re-introduce and re-assess further down the road.
Ultimately, I'd like to be "strong" enough to handle & thrive on a wide variety of foods. But, first to re-develop a robust metabolism! :):

tara

However I think you would be hard pressed to convince 99% of people that a 33 yr old woman who doesn't exercise in the typical sense can lose weight on a 2200+ cal diet.
Hypothyroid states are common, and the culture has a bit of an anorexic streak to it.
I imagine you'd have trouble convincing 99% of people about lots of things we talk about here. :)
Losing weight often means undereating.

Additionally I think there is more to the metabolic advantage of the post partum window that doesn't get a lot of airtime.
Personally, I lost weight in the post-partum window, but my most severe chronic health issue got a lot worse. Sure didn't seem like a metabolic advantage to me.

J

James IV

Meal timing in relation to exercise and circadian rhythm, meal frequency, meal composition, previous meal composition, daily energy (calories in/out) flux, weekly energy flux.
All of these will effect how your body partitions nutrients. I think it's a bit of an oversimplification to say any particular food is fattening or slimming.
Some food is more anabolic or catabolic for sure.

I think it's important to look at your overall diet, but equally, what you are trying to accomplish with each meal. For instance if you are looking to stay at maximum metabolic rate, keep insulin sensitivity very high, and keep blood sugar (energy) stable, it seems that smaller amounts of lean protein and fruit (sugar) would be your best choices durning daylight hours.
If you are looking to slightly lower metabolic rate, and create transient insulin resistance (to keep sugar in the blood longer so you don't have to feed as often) as well as replenish mineral/vitamin that may be lacking in daytime low fat/fat free food choices, then adding fattier, high nutrient density foods to your last meal is probably a good strategy. If you are athletic and need more anabolic (insulin), and dense sources of glucose to replenish glycogen, then adding starch to your last meal may be warranted.

Context.

vb2005

"Potatoes are one of the vegetables with the highest starch content."
Measuring Starch Content in Vegetables

I agree though potatoes are a great source of minerals (especially potassium) and of essential amino acids (precursors). This is why i do make sometimes Ray's potato protein soup.

This is only in theory - in reality the situation is totally different -with minerals - the soil have almost no minerals unless it is located in very special place like close to sea or ocean or maybe river.
That;s why if you live in Okinawa for example and eat only potatoes you can be super healthy - if you are from USA and eat potatoes you will be severely mineral deficient like most americans are - your only choice in USA is ocean fish and shellfish and maybe sea vegetables.

TCapp04

In this recent interview transcript (Cholesterol Is An Important Molecule, KMUD, 2008) Ray talks about a fit-for-all quick therapy diet destined to get the thyroid and the liver going, to suppress inflammation, and to lower chronic blood pressure.

Has anybody tried this ?

My own adaptation would be to take the OJ with some baking soda ( to decrease acidity) and switch to goat (or A2) milk instead of cow milk, in case people have issues with regular milk.

And maybe use low fat / defatted milk, in order to avoid putting on pounds initially.
I tried this about a year ago for a month and my temperature went up to 98.9. I was super warm and I dropped about 10 lbs. I may try it again.

honeybee

Wow.
I was wondering after how many days people would get tired of the taste; but it seems it's quite enjoyable.

And of course, people can eat normally besides it, as Ray wrote.
@burtlancast so are you saying people can ingest the milk &oj and also eat normal meals? This is all in addition to regular meals? And not gain weight?

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

@burtlancast so are you saying people can ingest the milk &oj and also eat normal meals? This is all in addition to regular meals? And not gain weight?

According to the interview, yes.

HD2: When you recommend that to people, do you recommend that they have it in place of breakfast and lunch? Or as well as their normal three meals a day?

RP: As it starts working, it will increase their caloric needs, so that if they had been maintaining their weight on 1,000 or 1,500 calories, as the milk and orange juice start to activate their thyroid hormone and lower the estrogen and cortisol, they will gradually be able to increase their caloric intake up to at least 2,000 calories a day.

Giraffe

Peat said in that interview that reducing starches and replacing them with fruit sugars will make you able to eat more without gaining weight.

honeybee

Peat said in that interview that reducing starches and replacing them with fruit sugars will make you able to eat more without gaining weight.
I am experimenting with reduced starch diet so this is good news.

Amazoniac

I thought this was called a suchatarian diet..

Ray didn't mention how much milk fat he suggests. Some people are complaining about weight gain and other problems when there's dairy fat along with starches, but wouldn't that also apply to the orange juice to a lesser degree?

I am trying it this week and it has been interesting. I have run into a couple issues though and need advice.
On my last couple sips of a quart of OJ the other day I started to feel itchy. Anyone else have this? Also, I think it is coincidental but I have been struck by terrible hay fever. Like really bad. Had to use my albuterol inhaler and have not used it in over a year prior to that.
I switched to Guava juice but it is hard to find a clean product. Otherwise if I can't drink OJ, what is next best source for sugar on quick therapy diet?
The other issue I am having is edema. I am swelling up. Could it be too little salt? I am adding salt to any food I am eating.

tara

I am trying it this week and it has been interesting. I have run into a couple issues though and need advice.
Hi,
Could try a different version of OJ, and see if you get the same effect? Is what you rare drnking strained? Some people seem to be sensitive to the fibre, and Peat tends to recommend straining. If it's made from unripe oranges, that may also have some irritating effects. Or you could have a personal intollerance/allergy to oranges, but I wouldn't assume that till trying alternative forms.
Maybe switch out some of the OJ for other juice and see if that helps?
Are you just having the milk and OJ, or are you eating other foods too?
Could it be just not enough food > low blood sugar > increased histamine?
If it is a sugar deficiency problem, then more sugar may help. Sometimes salt can have antihistamine effects.

If you are also eating other foods, do you want to tell what they are and/or what changed from previous habit?
Are you drinking about the same amount of liquid before and/or similar water:calorie ratio?

Thanks for response, Tara. I am drinking an organic orange juice concentrate diluted halfway because I have trouble drinking a gallon of liquid a day. Probably trying another brand is good idea or fresh squeezed and strained.
I am also still eating regular meals, though small meals because of all the milk and juice. Today I had toast with liver, shrimp with polenta and butter and some coconut oil chips. That is in addition to milk, coffee and guava juice(instead of OJ) and some gelatin.
My allergies are better today since I switched to guava instead of OJ but again not sure if it is a coincidence or not.
It is definitely more liquid than normal. But I have heavily salted all foods. I always use a lot of salt so could be still less than normal with addition of extra fluid.
I have been incorporating bits and pieces of Ray Peat's philosophy in my life for several years but still have chronic stomach and fatigue/thyroid issues. I have never tried his basic diet of milk and juice so I figured I should truly listen to what he suggests and give it try.

Elie

Forum Supporter
I tried this about a year ago for a month and my temperature went up to 98.9. I was super warm and I dropped about 10 lbs. I may try it again.
I cam across this post of yours. I am wondering, When you followed Peat's "quick therapy" did you track / limit caloeries at all? Did you just drink OJ and milk?

superhuman

Are you a male or female? you just did that or did u have other foods as well during that month? 2 quarts of milk is a little low protein?
Whats your bodyfat% and height weight, did you loose all fat, did you workout etc etc?

TCapp04

I cam across this post of yours. I am wondering, When you followed Peat's "quick therapy" did you track / limit caloeries at all? Did you just drink OJ and milk?
I did not limit calories. OJ and milk was about 1/2 my total diet. I ate some other fruit also, a couple of potatoes a week and I kept my total fat intake pretty low overall.

TCapp04

Are you a male or female? you just did that or did u have other foods as well during that month? 2 quarts of milk is a little low protein?
Whats your bodyfat% and height weight, did you loose all fat, did you workout etc etc?
I ate other protein, chicken and beef primarily. I'm 6'3 and at the time I was about 250. I did seem to lose pretty much all bodyfat, although I don't test it anymore. I tend to just use the mirror as my guide. Yeah, I lost about 10lbs while only working out about 2x a week. I do High Intensity Training, based on the theories and principles of Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer.

superhuman

I ate other protein, chicken and beef primarily. I'm 6'3 and at the time I was about 250. I did seem to lose pretty much all bodyfat, although I don't test it anymore. I tend to just use the mirror as my guide. Yeah, I lost about 10lbs while only working out about 2x a week. I do High Intensity Training, based on the theories and principles of Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer.

Ahh ok. Did you feel the the 2 liters of OJ and 2 liters of milk did you any benefits and which?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals