1.5L OJ, 1.5L goat milk, 100 gram beef, 1 egg yolk diet

Kasper

I'm thinking about how a Ray Peat diet covers the RDA guidelines.
Of course, Ray Peat and people here may not agree with all those RDA guidelines, but I think that for 80% they are pretty accurate. I made this for myself, but I share it, because maybe other people find it interesting as well.

1.5L orange juice + 1.5 L whole goat milk give >100% of the RDA (male,23 years old,75 kg) for:
- vitamin A (3300 IU), B1, B2, B5,B6,B9, C, D (770 IU)
- calcium, copper (1.4 mg), magnesium, phosporus, potassium

It lacks:
- vitamin B12 (44%), vitamin B3 (63%), choline (61%), cholesterol (55%)
- manganese (21%), selenium (41%), zinc (48%), sodium
- vitamin E and vitamin K
- iron (47%), fiber (22%), omega-3 (60%) and omega-6 (24%) (I'll ignore those)

Adding a carrot, doesn't make so much a difference as it comes to nutrients. Of course, it is beneficial, but I'm just looking at the nutrients in this topic.

If I add 100 gram of beef, 1 egg yolk, salt, vitamin K2 and vitamin E, everthing seems to balance out, except for manganese (21%).

Adding 50 gram of oats or some dark chocolate would solve that. Any other ideas for manganese ?

I'm actually a little bit suprised, that such a simple diet that contains only of 4 different foods (orange juice, goat milk, beef, 1 egg yolk) and 3 supplements (vitamin K2, E and salt) is able to cover everything except of manganese.

Of course, there are other reasons to include things like: carrot, coffee, coconut oil, gelatin, sugar, aspirin etc.

There are also some minerals that I don't know how much they are covered in this 4 food diet, such as: iodine, boron, molybdenum, chromium, sulfur and vanadium.

freal

The problem is you cant really eat the same foods all the time. After 1-2 month you will be forcing that stuff down your throat and after 3 month you will be like "I dont want to see any more OJ or milk".

pboy

the RDA are pretty accurate but most are inflated out unless you were on like a 3500 calorie or more diet...which I guess isn't that unusual if you are physically active. I find maple syrup is good with digestion and adds manganese and zinc. I get what Ray is saying about the brown sugar having field residues or industrial clarifying agents, and molasses...so go with the white sugar. Non organic maple syrup might have some not so great solvents...but good quality maple syrup is essentially pure. Other fruits add manganese too, but be careful with the digestion of them...if they taste off or unripe don't eat. Various herbal teas, including green or black tea, pretty much all add manganese (pretty much any leaf, flower, stem, or bark)

OP
K

Kasper

@freal I don't notice that at all. It depends on the person and the kind of food I guess.

I mean some people eat bread their whole life every day.
Some people eat rice their whole life every day.
I drink milk pretty much my whole life every day...
I know a guy that drinks 4L of OJ for already 20 years every day.
And he still loves it.

But I'm not planning to eat this diet every day. I was just wondering in which way Ray Peat like diets cover the RDA.

I am not getting tired of squeezed oranges and milk. Grass and hay fed that is :D normal milk tastes evil now (this is not a figure of speech).

fyo

If you add in a weekly amount of oysters, shrimp, liver, nutrient levels go even higher.

Beef liver is the most nutrient-dense food I'm aware of. I think egg yolk is next. And its high in the nutrients I consider most valuable, like K2, A, etc. Beef liver is also low price.

lazz

freal said:
The problem is you cant really eat the same foods all the time. After 1-2 month you will be forcing that stuff down your throat and after 3 month you will be like "I dont want to see any more OJ or milk".

Well, for me ,eating the same foods day in and out isn't a problem. besides there are so many choices...for example ; 1 day I might have oysters then the next in place of oysters I might throw in some calamaris instead..same with gelatin meats..oxtail one day ,shanks the next and so on. ..same with peat's approved fruits..OJ is like water to me..lol. i'll never get bored of it..:mrgreen:

dukez07

freal said:

Despite what people say here, the RP diet is the most restrictive I've ever been on. Starch has been the hardest thing for me to give up, and, without it, my diet is basically cheese, skimmed milk (laced with cacao, sugar and coconut oil), liver, carrot salad and OJ. That's it. It's a very boring diet, and I never look forward to any of these meals. I definitely miss the excitement and anticipation of a mouth watering meal, but then, after a while, you kind of just adapt. Cravings go, and you kind of just get on with it. I avoid meat purposefully, because unless it is the top whack grass fed, organic stuff it usually provokes some kind of stressful reaction (in spite of BCAA, calcium and lots of sugar). Gelatin is just a pain in the butt to get hold of here in the UK, and is horrendously overpriced (not cost effective for me to justify having it).

jyb

dukez07 said:
Despite what people say here, the RP diet is the most restrictive I've ever been on. Starch has been the hardest thing for me to give up, and, without it, my diet is basically cheese, skimmed milk (laced with cacao, sugar and coconut oil), liver, carrot salad and OJ. That's it. It's a very boring diet, and I never look forward to any of these meals. I definitely miss the excitement and anticipation of a mouth watering meal, but then, after a while, you kind of just adapt. Cravings go, and you kind of just get on with it. I avoid meat purposefully, because unless it is the top whack grass fed, organic stuff it usually provokes some kind of stressful reaction (in spite of BCAA, calcium and lots of sugar). Gelatin is just a pain in the butt to get hold of here in the UK, and is horrendously overpriced (not cost effective for me to justify having it).

You don't have to give up starch entirely if it helps your metabolism. Potatoes, fries, masa harina... Same for meat, non-fatty fish, shellfish etc. The only difference after reading RP is that you know how to cook/fry (that is, thoroughly with sat fat like coconut oil, with gelatin to balance, coffee etc) and how to read your symptoms, temperature, and if you don't do well then you have theory to help.

J

j.

There are degrees of perfection in Peating. Peat said milk has more phosphorus than the optimum amount, yet he consumed 1 gallon daily for 3 decades.

I think as people get uncomfortable following the diet rigorously, they could give try to conserve some parts. For example, they could eat starches, but still use ghee or coconut oil to cook instead of vegetable oils. Butter instead of margarine. Still try to have a high calcium/phosphorus ratio.

OP
K

Kasper

my diet is basically cheese, skimmed milk (laced with cacao, sugar and coconut oil), liver, carrot salad and OJ. That's it. It's a very boring diet, and I never look forward to any of these meals.

... If you really want variation, why not go for more seafood ?

I mean today I some very big wild prawns. One of the most delicious (and expensive, true) things I've ever tasted.
What about fresh wild oysters ?

There are enough mouth watering things, imo, to eat ocassionaly.

dukez07

Kasper said:
my diet is basically cheese, skimmed milk (laced with cacao, sugar and coconut oil), liver, carrot salad and OJ. That's it. It's a very boring diet, and I never look forward to any of these meals.

I mean today I some very big wild prawns. One of the most delicious (and expensive, true) things I've ever tasted.

dukez07

Kasper said:

Hmmm, depends on your personal tastes I guess. I'm not hating on the diet, just saying that you have to adapt to it, like all restrictive diets. I'm assuming you didn't eat those prawns or oysters with any sauces of any kind that are going to irritate your gut (increasing serotonin). Also, you didn't have any starches or vegetables with it? What was your sugar source to offset the stress caused by the protein? Did you take gelatin with it? What's the phosphorus/calcium ratio like on that seafood meal? Do you supplement with calcium egg shell?

Nobody salivates at the mouth with a quart of milk in front of them. But it's all cool. If you can adapt to having an average pleasure response from your food, you won't have any issues. I've adapted, and hopefully my health is now on the right track (health matters more to me).

OP
K

Kasper

I did eat some some Zucchini with it, fried in coconut oil.
Squashes are estrogen lowering right ?
Some vegetable irritate my gut, quite noticably, but squashes don't.

I only use some lemon for oysters... but I can't think of any other sauce that won't ruin the taste of oysters.
And I used some home made mayonaisse (from macadamia nut oil) as sauce for the prawns.
Crab together with homemade mayonaisse is also very delicious.

Do you supplement with calcium egg shell?

No... that part of ray peat eating I don't really master..
Btw, when I was in thailand, the man that guided me eated the prawns together with the shell.
I won't recommand, it was mainly, because he just didn't think about putting the shell of.
He didn't understand that I loved prawns, he thought it was way too hard :P he prefered inkfish.