Ray Peat 'diet'. Two weeks in. Signs not good.

chris

Mittir said:
Now i drink over boiled milk. I boil milk till it is reduced to 50% . This way i can consume more calories in less fluid intake.

Does this work? Are there any nutrients lost by doing this? I need to reduce fluid intake.

Mittir

chris said:
Mittir said:
Now i drink over boiled milk. I boil milk till it is reduced to 50% . This way i can consume more calories in less fluid intake.

Does this work? Are there any nutrients lost by doing this? I need to reduce fluid intake.

It is working for me. I feel full even with single cup of milk. Until my thyroid is totally fixed i have to have low fluid intake .
I can not tolerate raw milk and have mild problem with pasteurized milk. I have no problem with over boiled milk. I cant eat store brought cheeses. I can digest home made curd ( milk plus vinegar) but it lacks calcium. Lots of special nutrients like lactoferrin and glutathione producing abilities are lost in boiled milk, some of it is reduced in pasteurized milk. But i am getting protein with low iron, healthy butter fat and calcium from boiled milk without discomfort . Chris Masterjohn has a good article on raw milk vs boiled/pasteurized milk.
http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/cmast ... st-asthma/

jyb

Mittir said:
chris said:
Mittir said:

It is working for me. I feel full even with single cup of milk. Until my thyroid is totally fixed i have to have low fluid intake .
I can not tolerate raw milk and have mild problem with pasteurized milk. I have no problem with over boiled milk. I cant eat store brought cheeses. I can digest home made curd ( milk plus vinegar) but it lacks calcium. Lots of special nutrients like lactoferrin and glutathione producing abilities are lost in boiled milk, some of it is reduced in pasteurized milk. But i am getting protein with low iron, healthy butter fat and calcium from boiled milk without discomfort . Chris Masterjohn has a good article on raw milk vs boiled/pasteurized milk.
http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/cmast ... st-asthma/

How long does it take you to do this and for how much volume reduction?

Mittir

It usually take half an hour to reduce 50%, i have to use pot with large diameter and regular stirring.

OP
P

Peato Diet

I’m about to embarrass myself with my maths skills.

Ray peats diet involves a lot of fluids. I read somewhere at one point Ray Peat drank a gallon of milk a day (that’s about 8 pints or 4546 ml). I wondered how many calories your body would use to increase the temperature of all that milk from 3 °C (the temperature of a refrigerator) to 37 °C (body temperature).

A calorie is defined by 'The energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1 °C'. Since 1 gram of water is roughly equivalent to ml of water, then milk is probably about the same. So you could say it takes 1 calorie to raise 1ml of milk by 1 °C.

Using this formulae its takes 4546 calories to raise 4546 ml of milk by 1 °C. To get 4546 ml milk to body temperature the body needs to provide enough energy to raise the temperature of 4546 ml of milk by 34 °C, which works out at 154,564 calories (8 pints of whole milks provides 2863 calories).

This is obviously not right. What’s going on here? Do I need to go take extra maths and/or biology classes?

Could you get away with consuming less fluids etc if they are first warmed to 37 °C because your body won’t need to use additional calories to get those fluids up to body temperature???

kiran

The word calorie is ambiguous. When you say 8 pints of whole milk provides 2863 calories, it's actually 2863 kcal, which is 2863000 calories. That should be more than enough right? :)

OP
P

Peato Diet

kiran said:
The word calorie is ambiguous. When you say 8 pints of whole milk provides 2863 calories, it's actually 2863 kcal, which is 2863000 calories. That should be more than enough right? :)

Thanks. That’s cleared it up. Everyone can just ignore my previous post.

People are mentioning that large amounts of fluid are problematic for those with impaired thyroid function. I was wondering would dinking large amounts of cold fluid from the fridge at 3 °C cause some sort of 'cold shock' to the body where blood and energy is temporally diverted from other processes in order to raise the temperature of the fluid and thus aggravating thyroid symptoms. I wonder would there be any benefit to heating the liquids to body temperature first?

I think Tim Ferris mentioned that drinking cold liquids can actually be beneficial as it activiates brown fat sometimes referred to as 'fat-burning fat'

jyb

Peato Diet said:
kiran said:

Thanks. That’s cleared it up. Everyone can just ignore my previous post.

People are mentioning that large amounts of fluid are problematic for those with impaired thyroid function. I was wondering would dinking large amounts of cold fluid from the fridge at 3 °C cause some sort of 'cold shock' to the body where blood and energy is temporally diverted from other processes in order to raise the temperature of the fluid and thus aggravating thyroid symptoms. I wonder would there be any benefit to heating the liquids to body temperature first?

I think Tim Ferris mentioned that drinking cold liquids can actually be beneficial as it activiates brown fat sometimes referred to as 'fat-burning fat'

I think you're always drinking just a few glasses at a time (meals every 1-2 hours). It's still a lot of liquid, so you need to ingest salt. And I think it would be a bit better if heated when hypothyroid and already unable to keep a healthy temp.

pboy

Even in ancient Indian / Ayurvedic wisdom , for thousands of years, and to this day, it is recommended that raw milk be boiled before being consumed. So I don't see any benefit to having raw milk. Not even the culture who respected and understood milk the best recommended raw consumption (except for directly warm from the animal, in certain situations for acute medicinal purposes)...pasteurized old, expired, soured milk is probably worse than raw, but fresh pasteurized or raw milk freshly boiled is likely the best. Quality is more important (grass fed, treatment of animals, nothing added, freshness).

I would suggest not eating out dairy completely for a few days and see what happens, that is likely your problem. Then if you want, introduce it slowly and see what happens. Also try to get about 50% of your calories from carbohydrates but not too much more or too much less (too much carbs will cause dehydration, or a kind of watery heavy feel if you do drink sufficient water with them), and too little calories from carbs and you just wont feel energetically optimum.

My take is that sugar being hydrophyllic, holds and attracts water around it (about 4x) , and will draw water around it until it is utilized and burned, or converted/condensed...if your body is trying to use a good portion of sugar to turn into fats, instead of having a supply of fat in the diet, it will have to hold the sugar (with water) until they are properly condensed into fat and moved...whereas fat itself doesn't hold any water around it. (Its like a highly condensed, dry sugar that can be stored and moved without having to have water surrounding it...which is why your body only stores so much glycogen (sugar), too much would cause the body to have to hold a lot of water and therefore excess weight).
The brain and nervous system run almost only on sugar, whereas the rest of the body runs almost always on fatty acids unless under high stress (like intense exercise in which case they will switch to burning stored glycogen or blood glucose if available as it can be burned at higher rates).

Jenn

India is a different climate than Europe and most/all European countries consume their milk raw or as cheese.
The benefit of raw milk is that it contains pancreatic like enzymes in it to aid the digestion of the milk. It can reduce work for the pancreas. Pancreatic/milk enzymes do require a narrower range of pH than plant based enzymes. If the pH falls out of that range, then they are inactivated and not usable.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals