Peat's Surprising Response To My Email. A "Ray Peat Vegan" Is Possible

SaraNZ

Thanks Zachs and Daimyo. I feel like, in a civilised society, it's important to think about, discuss and address the consumption of animals and their products (eggs, milk, wool) and to live in a way that minimises harm and suffering, and yet also maximises human health. It just makes a nicer world. I'm not sure how to go about it, just doing my best.

But anyway, here's a mushroom burger I made last night. 7g protein per burger, and did not taste awful :thumbleft

shroomburger.jpg

Suikerbuik

That demands for a recipe Sara, looks good :).

Zachs

Nice work, Sara, what all did you put in that?

I also agree that blind veganism isn't the answer, but to do nothing because of some disagreements in philosophy isn't the answer either. Looking objectively at all aspects of meat eating, it is obvious that the majority of meat produced is a serious drain on our planet. Most meat is not fit for human consumption anyway so it's really a double negative, it's disastrous on the planet and on our bodies.

If one is not willing to give up meat eating, I think one should at least give themselves enough respect to seek out the best quality products they can find. Trying to save a buck on animal products is not a good idea.

SaraNZ

Suikerbuik said:
post 115859 That demands for a recipe Sara, looks good :).

I took 4 very large (portabella) shrooms + a few shitake and white ones and mushed them in my food processor along with a large onion. Then added one egg, one egg YOLK and 3 tbsp of rice flour to make it stick together, and some salt, and a tsp of turmeric. I'm not sure how Peat-compliant that all is. Usually I'd stick it all together with psyllium (and make them vegan) but I think eggs are ... more Peatish?

Then I blobbed it (it's not at all firm before cooking) in four large burgerish shapes on an oven tray that was coated with coconut oil. It only took 10 minutes or so for them to firm up in the oven (on about 180C) then I flipped them. So they are slightly crunchy on the outside from the coconut oil, which was really nice. When hot they were a bit mushy on the inside, but firmed up in the fridge and were really nice cold the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daimyo

Zachs said:
post 115747
And then if we got rid of commercial agriculture and started feeding the world from an organic permaculture design, there would be little direct animal deaths at all.

The biggest problem is the fact, that in most cases it's difficult to find people that want to work on farms. Because of this reason the management needs to be very simple, so it can be done with machines.

SaraNZ

Zachs said:

Zach, I've worked in the food and supplement industries and 'animal products' industry for about 20 years, primarily in legislation, regulation and quality control. Oh.. the stuff I've seen.... haha, often thought of writing a book, but would have to sleep with one eye open for the rest of my life. Watching gelatin being made actually made me vomit (as in, 'excuse me, I have to leave NOW... bleeeerch' - quite embarrassing actually, and probably damaging to my professional image :lol: ).

It didn't take much for me to give up most meat, although I've got a friend that does farm kill, and eat a steak from that farm a few times a year. I will not touch any 'intensively farmed' type products (IMO, egg and chicken farming are the worst - even 'free range' is a bit of a joke, and 'cage-free is .. not).

It doesn't have to be 'vegan or die'. I believe in the 'incremental' approach (something is better than nothing), and I think it's stupid when people are like 'I hate vegans so much I have to eat a steak now' (whut?) or throw out arguments like 'but plants have feelings too'. Engaging brain would be a fine thing.

So is it normal that making gelatin is a nauseous process?

SaraNZ

Such_Saturation said:
post 115989 So is it normal that making gelatin is a nauseous process?

It's really smelly and involves long boiling of reject animal parts, mostly feet, ligaments, bones and hides that are not destined for leather goods. I just hadn't thought too much about what might be involved. Luckily there were no faces going in there or I might have had to run away screaming. The head and spinal column are not used for gelatin, due to potential BSE problems. Some cartilage near the head (trachea, mostly) is used for chondroitin though.

It was the pile of incoming raw materials that churned my stomach. The actual gelatin making part is quite shiny and clean and mostly enclosed (still smelly though, once the acid process starts,it's really stanky).

SaraNZ said:
post 115992
Such_Saturation said:

It's really smelly and involves long boiling of reject animal parts, mostly feet, ligaments, bones and hides that are not destined for leather goods. I just hadn't thought too much about what might be involved. Luckily there were no faces going in there or I might have had to run away screaming. The head and spinal column are not used for gelatin, due to potential BSE problems. Some cartilage near the head (trachea, mostly) is used for chondroitin though.

Would you mind writing all your knowledge down some time :ninja

Zachs

Such_Saturation said:
post 115995
SaraNZ said:
post 115992
Such_Saturation said:

Would you mind writing all your knowledge down some time :ninja

I agree, please share more! Now is the time for people to realize what they are eating. Things are a changing.

It's so hard to learn about agro-zootechnic procedures, even with the internet...

James_001

Veganism destroyed my health, and the health of many others I know.

Seriously can't believe that people are promoting this nonsense....

Hierarchy is inherent in nature, deal with it

Zachs

James_001 said:
post 118553 Veganism destroyed my health, and the health of many others I know.

Thanks for you input, lol.

maryjanexx

Any ideas about the Vega Sport protein powder? If it is extracting the protein from the PUFA would it be a Peat-acceptable protein source? Tons of amino acids.
Ingredients: Pea protein, Pumpkin seed protein, Organic sunflower seed protein, Alfalfa protein, Tart cherry, Probiotics (Bacillus coagulans [provides 1 billion cfu/serving]), Bromelain, Turmeric extract, Black Pepper extract. Contains less than 2% of: Strawberry powder, Apple powder, Beetroot powder (for color), Sea salt, Natural vanilla flavor, Natural berry flavor, Citric acid, Stevia extract, Xanthan gum.

OP
Westside PUFAs
Veganism destroyed my health, and the health of many others I know.

Take responsibility for yourself. "Veganism" didn't "destroy" your health, you did. How stupid would it be if I said " Weston Price destryoed my health, and the health of many others I know." Not sure why you're talking about hierarchy in nature. I'm not even vegan and I'm misanthropic so your statement doesn't make sense as a reply to my original post.

PeatThemAll

Any ideas about the Vega Sport protein powder? If it is extracting the protein from the PUFA would it be a Peat-acceptable protein source? Tons of amino acids.
Ingredients: Pea protein, Pumpkin seed protein, Organic sunflower seed protein, Alfalfa protein, Tart cherry, Probiotics (Bacillus coagulans [provides 1 billion cfu/serving]), Bromelain, Turmeric extract, Black Pepper extract. Contains less than 2% of: Strawberry powder, Apple powder, Beetroot powder (for color), Sea salt, Natural vanilla flavor, Natural berry flavor, Citric acid, Stevia extract, Xanthan gum.

FWIW, for a month I tried the Esselstyn-style vegan diet, wasn't perfectly compliant as I used Vega protein (only) powder and its protein+greens variant, multi-vitamins, and yet had to be turned down giving plasma as my hematocrit was too low. Never had problems with it before.

rainbow5000

FWIW, for a month I tried the Esselstyn-style vegan diet, wasn't perfectly compliant as I used Vega protein (only) powder and its protein+greens variant, multi-vitamins, and yet had to be turned down giving plasma as my hematocrit was too low. Never had problems with it before.

What exactly did you eat, what multi, and any other supplements? About to start a diet like this myself.

Asher

Yo!

What an exciting and interesting thread.

Yes, I do think that the eventual evolution of humans is to move away from consuming animal products, yet to this date, no one has effectively synthesized a plant based diet, to be applied generally for all processes of disease and healings, without rigorous and extensive labs, monitoring and science - WHICH I BELIEVE is too hard for most sick or normal people to get involved with unless they want to dedicate all their waking hours to the process.

I was Vegetarian for 8 years (no knowledge Vego) and an 80 10 10 fruit munching salad destroying Vegan for 2 years, 98% raw and Organic w/ b12 shots and my health went to the absolute shitter! Except my poos were awesome, and my mediation was cosmic - yet a bit wobbly.

Anyway, now I' am mostly recovered from Hypothyroid cold temps and rashes and etc etc - and animal foods help save my bacon, and pull me out of the mess I was in post Vegan 80 10 1o.

Yet I am interested in this topic, BECAUSE I reckon that as time marches on we may find an approachable and testable and repuytable and demonstratably effective way of doing so.

Yet at this point in time, for people needing to heal, and get on with life and stay well - I reckon it is still to early to adopt a Vegan without the rigorous testing needed to show stability on such a regime.

Good luck to the pioneers of such a way, and praise be to the objective mind that can see clearly and not get involved in the bickering of this or that way being superior.

Less harm is always better, and may we march in that direction whilst staying in faith, that where we are at, is where we are meant to be.
That claiming our health, means that we can best provide to the ALL, and not our sickness. So sacrificing of self for other (be it animal, philosophy or humans) is meaningless righteousness, and shits on the journey of your self.

Let your spirit guide you and not your notions that you have become addicted to.

Cheers

Asher