Long-lived Compilation Facts

encerent

Wonder what those cookies are made of? Sugar, flour, milk, butter, baking soda?

Lilac

My Italian grandfather was super-healthy and sharp for 94 years, and died iatrogenically at 95. One of his sisters who remained in Italy lived to be over 100 and only died after being pulled out of the rubble from an earthquake. Another sister was close to 100 if not that old. I recently did a little interview with my mother's paternal cousin, who is 93 years old. Her body is not in great shape, but her mind is very sharp. The interesting thing is that though she was conceived in America, she was born back on the family farm in the Campagna area of southern Italy and grew up there for her first nine years. She told me that the farm was so big, you could get lost on it. They grew and raised everything--wheat, vegetables, grapes, fruit, chestnuts, cows, sheep, chickens, pigs. They made the wine, cheeses, bread, pasta (tagliatelle), and prosciutto. They preserved cherries. (I asked her if they put them into jars. No, bottles.) I did not ask her about the water, but unbidden she told me that is was gotten in the town square and was "good." She used to wish that they could buy the dried pasta sold in shops--it was a luxury. In the morning, she had to take "those damned" sheep out to the pastures to get the good forage. She was rammed by a goat once, and the shoemaker stitched up the gash. She had never ridden in a car until she was heading to the ship that would bring her to America. And on the ship she saw electric lights for the first time.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
thanks - love it.

109, he drives, he smokes 12 cigars a day, drinks 4 cups of coffee each day, whiskey sometimes, ice cream every night. He seems to enjoy life.

Wonder what brand of butter pecan he is eating.

Check haagen dazs ingredients

Butter Pecan

ingredients: VANILLA ICE CREAM: CREAM, SKIM MILK, SUGAR, LACTOSE REDUCED SKIM MILK, CORN SYRUP, EGG YOLKS, SALT, VANILLA EXTRACT. ROASTED PECANS: PECANS, COCONUT OIL, BUTTER (CREAM, SALT), SALT. CONTAINS: MILK, PECAN AND EGG INGREDIENTS.

x-ray peat

I was listening to a longevity doctor on a podcast recently and he made the point that what supercentenarians do and eat would actually kill the rest of us. They are biologically different from us in some unknown way and it would be a mistake to try to copy their diets and other behaviors. I remember seeing a list and was surprised at how many were smokers and drinkers.

raypeatclips

I was listening to a longevity doctor on a podcast recently and he made the point that what supercentenarians do and eat would actually kill the rest of us. They are biologically different from us in some unknown way and it would be a mistake to try to copy their diets and other behaviors. I remember seeing a list and was surprised at how many were smokers and drinkers.

Sounds like the French saturated fat "paradox" to me, where the French have low CVD and high saturated fat. When something doesn't fit into peoples beliefs, they brand it a "paradox" or say they are different in an "unknown way." Was the longevity doctor promoting resveratrol by any chance?

DaveFoster

The chocolate's probably partly good for its predominantly saturated fat that protects the heart against PUFA.

This thread is gold, Amazoniac. Well done.

x-ray peat

Sounds like the French saturated fat "paradox" to me, where the French have low CVD and high saturated fat. When something doesn't fit into peoples beliefs, they brand it a "paradox" or say they are different in an "unknown way." Was the longevity doctor promoting resveratrol by any chance?
No he was pretty legit and was just talking about his research. I have no idea if he is right but I think the consensus opinion of the researchers is that the super-old have genes that allow them to better deal with the stuff that would kill the rest of us. I think we are better off looking at the research on the normal old and see what gets you to the mid 90s in fairly good shape than looking at these guys.

Kartoffel

I think you forgot one very long-lived individual: Creme puff. Living twice as long as most cats, he made it to 38, feasting on bacon&eggs, and enjoying coffee with heavy cream every day.

Creme Puff (cat) - Wikipedia

Creme-puff-oldest-cat.jpg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals