Low-Fat Diet, Hypocaloric Diet, Weight Loss, Metabolism

Zachs

3 months or close, I believe. I didn't specifically have a plan other than to eat as low fat as possible. getting as lean as I did was a big surprise because I have been trying to do that off and on for years through various diets and exercise and with this I did it without restrictions calories or doing and formal exercise.

I added fats back in on recently, maybe a month or less. Before, fat would immediately make me gain fat and also give me negative signs like inflammation and poor endothelial function. This time though I have had any of that, so I'm guessing that I either fixed my metabolism enough to process fat quickly or I had leaky gut before or endotoxin or a combination. I'm keeping a close eye on it though but it's nice to eat high fat/high carb because I don't have to supplement with vitamins as much.

Diet now is almost the same as before, still no meat, very few of any kind of vegetables, no oils except CO to cook with, lots of tropical fruits and juice. Things that are different are little to no starch (besides bananas), I traded it for fat because eating both gives me digestive issues. Full fat milk, butter, lots of cheese, 3-4 eggs a day.

tara

RPDiciple said:
Im starting tomorrow as well for 3-5 weeks. Im gonna start out lower carb as well so mainly just skimmed milk, low fat cottage cheese and some fruit. So bye bye PUFA and fat in general and hello/welcome summer ripped body ^^

You are aware that if you cut your calories too low you are likely to lower your metabolism?
If you want to avoid lowering your metabolism, I would keep any calorie/energy deficit fairly small, and not skimp on the carbs if you are going low fat for a while.

OP
T
If you keep your carbs up and only do it for six weeks at a time and then take a break, you won't completely tank your metabolism.

However, the END RESULT is a far better metabolism. Having all that estrogen producing fat out of the way takes a real burden off of the thyroid, it's actually kind of amazing. :2cents

OP
T
I'm currently at 98.9 at 7:11 in the p.m..... on NO thyroid medication, people. This is unheard of for me...I took thyroid meds for 15 years. Ya know "they" say that you have to take it for life. I have found that I only seem to need it if I am carrying waaay too much body fat AND eating PUFA in my diet.....can hardly wait to see my lab work.

Peata

thebigpeatowski said:
I'm currently at 98.9 at 7:11 in the p.m..... on NO thyroid medication, people. This is unheard of for me...I took thyroid meds for 15 years. Ya know "they" say that you have to take it for life. I have found that I only seem to need it if I am carrying waaay too much body fat AND eating PUFA in my diet.....can hardly wait to see my lab work.

That's amazing and must feel wonderful. Congrats.

Peata

Did you ever get headaches during the weight loss phase?

I just had to down some BC powders (nasty, sour) due to a throbbing headache. I don't feel particularly hungry, so I don't think it's blood sugar at the moment. But it might be from the "stress" of lowering my calories over the day. There were times I was definitely hungry and a time I may have gone too long without food. So perhaps it piled on now at night. That's happened before to me, I think.

tara

Peata said:

I just had to down some BC powders (nasty, sour) due to a throbbing headache. I don't feel particularly hungry, so I don't think it's blood sugar at the moment. But it might be from the "stress" of lowering my calories over the day. There were times I was definitely hungry and a time I may have gone too long without food. So perhaps it piled on now at night. That's happened before to me, I think.
Hi Peata,
I recognise this. By the time 've got a headache from lack of food, the feeling hunger is usually gone - headaches mess with appetite for me.
Are the BC powders you mention vitamins B and C? Do they help with headaches? Do you have to have sugar with them for them to help?

Peata

tara said:
Peata said:

Hi Peata,
I recognise this. By the time 've got a headache from lack of food, the feeling hunger is usually gone - headaches mess with appetite for me.
Are the BC powders you mention vitamins B and C? Do they help with headaches? Do you have to have sugar with them for them to help?

They are the original formula BC powder. Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Aspirin (NSAID)* - 845 mg (Pain reliever/fever reducer), Caffeine (65mg) (Pain reliever aide)

Inactive Ingredients: Docusate Sodium, Fumaric Acid, Lactose Monohydrate, Potassium Chloride

It's straight powder that comes in individually wrapped papers. You can put it right on your tongue or mix in liquid. I put it in my mouth and washed it down. I had some sugared milk before and after I took it.

OP
T
Peata said:

Absolutely....headaches, grumpy, hungry. That's all par for the course. If fat loss were EASY and COMFORTABLE nobody would be fat.

There are lots of Peatish ways to mitigate the stress, your aspirin powder is a good one, Progest-E, bag breathing....you know the drill. I always saved some juice and very low fat cheese for bedtime so my sleep wouldn't be interrupted.

tara

Peata said:
They are the original formula BC powder. Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Aspirin (NSAID)* - 845 mg (Pain reliever/fever reducer), Caffeine (65mg) (Pain reliever aide)
OK, thanks Peata. Don't think I've seen that brand here. The rough equivalent, 2 aspirin and a cup of coffee I've tried. (can sometimes interrupt a headache, but seems to leave me prone to worse ones later).

Peata

thebigpeatowski said:
Peata said:

Absolutely....headaches, grumpy, hungry. That's all par for the course. If fat loss were EASY and COMFORTABLE nobody would be fat.

There are lots of Peatish ways to mitigate the stress, your aspirin powder is a good one, Progest-E, bag breathing....you know the drill. I always saved some juice and very low fat cheese for bedtime so my sleep wouldn't be interrupted.

The BC powder kicked in. Yes, even when not dieting I usually have to have something before bed like sugared milk. Otherwise if I go too long between eating and bed, I might lie there with my nerves oscillating, heart thumping, mind racing.

OP
T
Peata said:
The BC powder kicked in. Yes, even when not dieting I have to have something before bed like sugared milk. Otherwise I'd lay there with my nerves oscillating, heart thumping, mind racing.

Have you always had this, or is it a recent development?

Peata

thebigpeatowski said:
Peata said:
The BC powder kicked in. Yes, even when not dieting I have to have something before bed like sugared milk. Otherwise I'd lay there with my nerves oscillating, heart thumping, mind racing.

Have you always had this, or is it a recent development?

I think I've always had it now and then at least, but never recognized that my blood sugar was low, I just thought I was "having trouble sleeping because my mind wouldn't shut off" in a generic sort of way. Then years ago when I did intermittent fasting, I'd often go to bed hungry and get those symptoms. It would be hard to sleep. At that time, I thought I just had "so much energy" kinda like it was a good thing, but now I know. It rarely happens now because my glycogen is a lot better at night especially since I cut out so much of the starch. But I try to make sure I have something at least a couple hours before I go to bed anyway.

Peata

BTW, I don't want to take up this thread talking about myself like I've been doing in my last several posts, so if a mod wants to move that bit to another thread, that's fine.

OP
T
I wonder if endotoxin has anything to do with it? I had a couple nights like that after my Metronidazole/Nystatin Fiasco...I had taken a bunch of probies, kefir and kombucha trying to right my guts and it resulted in the racing mind and nerve irritation etc. I have no idea really...just guessing, but I took taurine for a few days to quiet things down and it worked quite well.

Peata

thebigpeatowski said:
I wonder if endotoxin has anything to do with it? I had a couple nights like that after my Metronidazole/Nystatin Fiasco...I had taken a bunch of probies, kefir and kombucha trying to right my guts and it resulted in the racing mind and nerve irritation etc. I have no idea really...just guessing, but I took taurine for a few days to quiet things down and it worked quite well.

Hmm I wonder. I also notice taurine can help glycogen storage, so maybe that's another reason it helped.

RPDiciple

tara: im aware of it, but your metabolism does not slow much if you provide enough nutrition to counter the effects of PUFA and spike it from time to time you can get away with very low calories for some time to loose the fat.

aspirin,vitE,caffeine etc are important when doing it ofc

nikotrope

Taking aspirin and caffeine without enough calories may keep your metabolism high because of higher stress hormones. Not a good way to lose fat.

RPDiciple

if you want to loose fat you cant eat as many calories as you burn so that comment is crap

Zachs

RPDiciple said:
if you want to loose fat you cant eat as many calories as you burn so that comment is crap

Yes you can, if you eat a fat deficient diet, your body will use its fat stores for normal bodily processes involving fat. The carbs and protein won't be stored as fat so even though you are eating at maintanance or even above, you will still be losing fat and any excess energy will be dissapated as heat production.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals