Low Fat versus Low Carb for Weight Loss ?

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Calories in calories out matters . If you under eat below what your personal metabolism burns you will lose if you eat over what you burn you gain. I prefer high carb as it gives me more energy and I love sugar coffee fruit juice sourdough bread but I will still use butter on it and make sure enough protein is in diet
Point is valid, but I would have to think lower fat diet must help with cholesterol and triglycerides.... Also, calories from fat versus calories from protein and carbohydrates must differ in their densities.... so one can seemingly eat more of one versus the other in terms of weight ... like for example, nuts have a lot of fat, and are calorie dense, compared to chicken breast or a potato... am I right ?

Nik665

Point is valid, but I would have to think lower fat diet must help with cholesterol and triglycerides.... Also, calories from fat versus calories from protein and carbohydrates must differ in their densities.... so one can seemingly eat more of one versus the other in terms of weight ... like for example, nuts have a lot of fat, and are calorie dense, compared to chicken breast or a potato... am I right ?
Yes lower calorie foods are going to be more voluminous compare fruits vs nuts . Peat also recommends high carb and lower fat as it increases co2 production. But really it is what you can digest. So long calories are within limit

theantagonist

Calories in calories out matters . If you under eat below what your personal metabolism burns you will lose if you eat over what you burn you gain. I prefer high carb as it gives me more energy and I love sugar coffee fruit juice sourdough bread but I will still use butter on it and make sure enough protein is in diet
I agree, believe diet with ray peat principles is better for health.
However, calories can rack up quickly when sugar based.

This morning i realised why i was gaining weight so quickly. I added sugar to my coffee to taste. I measured it for the first time....
It was 50 grams of sugar per coffee :oops: and i drink like 5 per day. So just 250 grams of sugar per day just for coffee, no ******* wonder i'm gaining.

Nik665

This morning i realised why i was gaining weight so quickly. I added sugar to my coffee to taste. I measured it for the first time....
It was 50 grams of sugar per coffee :oops: and i drink like 5 per day. So just 250 grams of sugar per day just for coffee, no ******* wonder i'm gaining.

Nik665

It doesn’t have to be white sugar based I eat a lot of fruit and the volume of food I consume scares people . Sugar based or carb based for me also includes a lot of potatoes which give you a lot of volume of you prefer volume for satisfaction. White sugar on the other hand can add quickly so I always measure my sugar for coffee as liquid calories Are known to not be as satisfying

theantagonist

as liquid calories Are known to not be as satisfying
You can say that. i had no problem eating my regular meals on top of that... I even thought i was eating less than before. Such a noob mistake, i'll keep more track of pure sugar intake.

Sitaruîm

A teaspoon is about 5 grams, are you adding that much sucrose to your coffee or are you also counting the lactose in milk?

theantagonist

A teaspoon is about 5 grams, are you adding that much sucrose to your coffee or are you also counting the lactose in milk?
It's only a little splash of milk, so doubt it will be a lot of lactose.

But i can confirm it was the added sugar and that it's water weight. I reduced the sugar for a day, and lost 2 kg this morning. :D

Maljam

In defence of Peat, I've never seen him recommend anyone consume 50 grams of white sugar per cup of coffee, that is insane and your own doing, don't blame him for that.

theantagonist

In defence of Peat, I've never seen him recommend anyone consume 50 grams of white sugar per cup of coffee, that is insane and your own doing, don't blame him for that.
Where do you see me blame peat or any of the ideas he has put forward? Maybe you should read more carefully.

Let’s call a spade a spade, everyone is different.... I’m 6’3”, and 235 pounds, with high cholesterol and somewhat of a belly.... I don’t think low carb is the answer for me, unless it’s also low fat... Can one do low fat and decent lean white meats but also needing to rely on Carbohydrates for satiety ? I suppose with either diet, I can avoid carbs and rely on lean meat and vegetables.... but am I somewhat right in believing that people can lose weight and still eat carbohydrates ? Thank You Guys and love this group with all my heart !
All carbs are not equal! Sugar carbs with the absence of starches has worked wonders for me. I have only lost weight consistently on carbs doing mono potato fasts, and averaging a pound a day! Otherwise lowfat with sugar and protein, especially seafood melts off the fat. I say fat because I was always skinny, but finally realized that the scale isn't a measure of fitness I decided to purposely put on 15 pounds to gain muscle and test Ray Peat's testimony that only 10% of our muscle tone comes from moving, whatever that might consist if. I did my experiment the "Peat" way with much seafood, fruit, sugar, honey, Mexican cokes, eggs and most importantly lower fat. So I used my no stretch denim size small romper that I always had to really eat right to get into and after gaining 20 pounds I still fit into it with far better muscle tone and never ever exercising! Since then I don't ever look to lose weight, just fat. Realizing that way is not sustainable for myself as a foodie, I am finding that keeping starches away from meats is handy and keeping starches away from sugars is even safer for balanced blood sugar levels, but that is what Ray Peat has always said. It just took me 4.5 years to implement it ?

Attachments

• 20191209_113020.jpg
    20191209_113020.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 67

Cloudhands

All carbs are not equal! Sugar carbs with the absence of starches has worked wonders for me. I have only lost weight consistently on carbs doing mono potato fasts, and averaging a pound a day! Otherwise lowfat with sugar and protein, especially seafood melts off the fat. I say fat because I was always skinny, but finally realized that the scale isn't a measure of fitness I decided to purposely put on 15 pounds to gain muscle and test Ray Peat's testimony that only 10% of our muscle tone comes from moving, whatever that might consist if. I did my experiment the "Peat" way with much seafood, fruit, sugar, honey, Mexican cokes, eggs and most importantly lower fat. So I used my no stretch denim size small romper that I always had to really eat right to get into and after gaining 20 pounds I still fit into it with far better muscle tone and never ever exercising! Since then I don't ever look to lose weight, just fat. Realizing that way is not sustainable for myself as a foodie, I am finding that keeping starches away from meats is handy and keeping starches away from sugars is even safer for balanced blood sugar levels, but that is what Ray Peat has always said. It just took me 4.5 years to implement it ?
You look great! :)

Jennifer

That’s great, @Rinse & rePeat! I share a similar experience. I added dairy to my fruit-based diet last May, averaging at least 2 liters of skimmed goat’s milk daily, and built back muscle that I hadn’t realized had atrophied, especially my hamstrings, and leaned out even more, which I didn’t think was possible for me without looking like a corpse. I weigh exactly the same as I did prior to the dairy but my clothes fit much looser now, especially in the waist—it’s as small as it was when I was underweight—and I’ve been far less active. The best part is I gained back the strength I had in my legs as a hiker, which should help when I can start climbing again.

That’s great, @Rinse & rePeat! I share a similar experience. I added dairy to my fruit-based diet last May, averaging at least 2 liters of skimmed goat’s milk daily, and built back muscle that I hadn’t realized had atrophied, especially my hamstrings, and leaned out even more, which I didn’t think was possible for me without looking like a corpse. I weigh exactly the same as I did prior to the dairy but my clothes fit much looser now, especially in the waist—it’s as small as it was when I was underweight—and I’ve been far less active. The best part is I gained back the strength I had in my legs as a hiker, which should help when I can start climbing again.
I feel

I love it! It feels so good to be strong doesn't it! I use to be proud of the number on the scale, but now I am proud of my legs and skin! Thanks for relating Jennifer!

Jennifer

It sure does, @Rinse & rePeat! And to experience those benefits while finally getting to consume the foods I enjoy most makes it that much better. It only took me over a decade. lol

It sure does, @Rinse & rePeat! And to experience those benefits while finally getting to consume the foods I enjoy most makes it that much better. It only took me over a decade. lol
Back in the day they said you had to choose between "Face or Fanny", I am glad skinny is falling out of style and we can have both ?

Jennifer

Back in the day they said you had to choose between "Face or Fanny", I am glad skinny is falling out of style and we can have both ?

Hopefully, not too out of style. My fanny is challenged. I may have built back muscle, but I’m still only about as big as one of Hans’ arms. :tearsofjoy:

LadyRae

im trialling a frutarian diet 6 days a week, with cheese, meat/eggs on 1 day, and noticing very positive results.

black coffee also good alongside fruiarianism for weight loss.

i lost 3 kilos first 4 days

im also supplementing the following on fruitarian days: b1, b2, b3 niacinamide, magnesium glycinate,
How has this worked for you? I eat a LOT of fruit too- melons, papaya, oranges, pineapple. And lean proteins, liver, cod, oysters, eggs, shrimp

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals