superhuman

haidut: Get you, i started with 1mg and im now doing 2mg and i dont feel anything from it in terms of beeing sleepy etc. Should i increase the dosage or just stop or ? :) what are good measures of that serotonin has lowered?

OP
haidut

haidut

superhuman said:
haidut: Get you, i started with 1mg and im now doing 2mg and i dont feel anything from it in terms of beeing sleepy etc. Should i increase the dosage or just stop or ? :) what are good measures of that serotonin has lowered?

Fewer stomach problems, more motivation, less tiredness, etc. I would keep the dosage. If you don't feel much from 4mg then your serotonin is probably not that high after all.

superhuman

haidut: Get you, maybe i should try 3mg cypro tonight then and see if it has an effect

In terms of using Tianeptine as reducing serotonin, wich one of cypro and tianeptine is best?

jyb

I like cypro. It doesn't really make me drowsy now, even at > 16mg during the day. However I wouldn't say it has cured me or anything over the months, as every time I try to go without, I immediately get some of my old lethargy symptoms, and it reminds that cypro is doing something useful even if temporary.

superhuman

jyb: holy, how is your appetite? :p at that dosage i guess my appetite would be all over the place

jyb

superhuman said:
jyb: holy, how is your appetite? :p at that dosage i guess my appetite would be all over the place

It doesn't have any effect on my appetite. Cyproheptadine and a few other similar drugs do have "weight gain" listed as a potential side effect, and it seems like increased appetite is the mechanism, but its not automatic. I never had that problem (or benefit, should I call it).

Also, it's not because metabolism improves that appetite is increased. I've had times in the past when I had bad hypo symptoms, yet was hungry all the time - as if the body is inefficient and wastes energy, or unable to store nutrients.

khan

Hello Haidut, :)

I am taking tianeptine from last 10 days and I took 2 tablets in the morning. Is it fine to take cyproheptadine in the evening today ? Is there any contraindication, which I should be aware of?

Regards,
Khan

OP
haidut

haidut

khan said:

I am taking tianeptine from last 10 days and I took 2 tablets in the morning. Is it fine to take cyproheptadine in the evening today ? Is there any contraindication, which I should be aware of?

Regards,
Khan

Since these are both pharma drugs I would not advise to take them together as I don't know much about their interactions and there is no info online. The half life of cypro is about 8 hours, so if you take tianeptine at least 16 hours after the cypro IN THEORY you should be OK, but I just don't know. If you have access to a pharmacy you can just go there and ask them. I am in the US and if I have concerns about interactions I go to the pharmacist and say I have been prescribed two drugs by two different doctors and I am concerned about the interactions. Usually, they check their database and also give you some rationale of why it would be OK or dangerous.

khan

haidut said:
khan said:

Regards,
Khan

Since these are both pharma drugs I would not advise to take them together as I don't know much about their interactions and there is no info online. The half life of cypro is about 8 hours, so if you take tianeptine at least 16 hours after the cypro IN THEORY you should be OK, but I just don't know. If you have access to a pharmacy you can just go there and ask them. I am in the US and if I have concerns about interactions I go to the pharmacist and say I have been prescribed two drugs by two different doctors and I am concerned about the interactions. Usually, they check their database and also give you some rationale of why it would be OK or dangerous.

Thanks haidut, I will surely visit pharmacy tomorrow and check out the interaction. I was also checking online about the interaction but didn't find anything.

Dayman

I find it makes me drowsy at 2mg+ unless I am drinking coffee.
Also it makes me hungry unless drinking coffee.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Peateat said:
I find it makes me drowsy at 2mg+ unless I am drinking coffee.
Also it makes me hungry unless drinking coffee.
It doesn't seem to cause me to experience drowsiness or increased appetite any longer but it did at first. I usually only take 1mg 1-2 times during the day (if I take it) and 4mgs before bed. I think the drowsiness and increased appetite stopped for me within the first month of regular use. I know everyone is different that's why I value getting a variety of input.

narouz

I took about 4 mg before bed and--just as some here have reported--
I slept from 12 'til 12.
Looked at the clock expecting to see like 8:00.
Kinda shocked me.

gabys225

Is anyone concerned about the anticholinergic effects disrupting their memory? This is commonly mentioned on other boards when anti-histamines are called into question, they usually also have anticholinergic properties and it's the one worry that puts people off of them. Does anyone have any more information on this, are the memory effects truly as pronounced? It would make a case for trying to find an anti-histamine with a "purer" profile and combine it with a straight forward serotonin antagonist.

jyb

gabys225 said:
Is anyone concerned about the anticholinergic effects disrupting their memory? This is commonly mentioned on other boards when anti-histamines are called into question, they usually also have anticholinergic properties and it's the one worry that puts people off of them. Does anyone have any more information on this, are the memory effects truly as pronounced? It would make a case for trying to find an anti-histamine with a "purer" profile and combine it with a straight forward serotonin antagonist.

Cypro has been studied for a long time, so far I haven't seen any side effect relating to memory. I posted a study about overdose, where the dose was not just very high but extreme, and apparently this can cause hallucinations temporarily which would be to anticholinergic activity, but memory specifically isn't mentioned. From my own experience after almost 6 months, typically 16-20mg daily, I haven't noticed anything to do with memory.

OP
haidut

haidut

jyb said:
gabys225 said:

Cypro has been studied for a long time, so far I haven't seen any side effect relating to memory. I posted a study about overdose, where the dose was not just very high but extreme, and apparently this can cause hallucinations temporarily which would be to anticholinergic activity, but memory specifically isn't mentioned. From my own experience after almost 6 months, typically 16-20mg daily, I haven't noticed anything to do with memory.

Anticholinergic drugs are just being "discovered" as a potent weapon against Alzheimers, so if anything, they should actually improve memory. Remember - the current theory is that choline and cholinergic drugs are helpful for memory but (as Ray has said many times) choline is excitotoxic and drugs that work against it should be helpful for the brain.

Ben

jyb said:
gabys225 said:

Anticholinergics reduce both memory retrieval and memory storage. That's why people who take them in high doses and hallucinate, often don't remember the experience in the morning. They also forget what is real, so they are not surprised by hallucinations.

A long time ago, I did an experiment with a high dose of Benadryl (which is also an SSRI, careful). I had auditory hallucinations like microwaves beeping and other random sounds. I thought I would see insects and stuff, but I didn't. I went to sleep because I was so drowsy from it. Then I woke up, and I saw my mom walking across my room and putting some clothes into a drawer, saying something to me. I replied normally and didn't think it was odd she was doing this, although she hadn't done that for years and she would also be unable to due to an acquired physical disability. I don't remember how realistic she looked, but I remember her appearance was absolutely convincingly real, at least to me in this greatly confused state.

So it makes me wonder whether the mind actually synthesizes super-real-looking hallucinations, or if they actually aren't that real-looking, and interpreting unrealistic hallucinations as real is part of the confused state of mind. If the mind weren't confused, a person would realize what he or she is seeing are hallucinations.

Anticholinergics probably "give the brain a break". RP said they show promise in treating Alzheimer's disease, and that cholinergic drugs will slowly be phased out of existence. I doubt cypro would cause memory problems, and even if it does through anticholinergic effects, it's nothing harmful. I wonder if belladonna or some other agent would be helpful in small doses. While it's thought of as a poison, the active substance, atropine, is used to prevent cholinergic effects from Sarin, a gas used as a chemical weapon that inhibits acetylcholinesterase and can quickly kill a person. Like caffeine, used in the right doses it could be helpful, in higher doses harmful.

HDD

I took 2 mg and slept from 2-11 (haven't slept that late in 30 yrs) but woke up with a migraine which I don't ever get. I assume it was low blood sugar? I had a cocoa dessert late in the evening which I read can cause low blood sugar and a less than ideal day eating. Migraine didn't subside until I drank a Pepsi Throwback. I have had a headache from cyproheptadine once before but did not make the connection to blood sugar until this episode.

Kasper

Makes sense, they prescribe adrenalin shots for allergic reaction emergencies because adrenalin acts in the opposite way of histamine. Antihistamines and anticholinergics cause some symptoms resembling activation of the sympathetic nervous system, like dilated pupils, dry mouth, and erectile dysfunction. People with low histamine have high blood sugar, are usually overstimulated in the adrenergic way, have dry mouth, visible anxiety, low libido, sleep a lot, and aren't very motivated, and people with high histamine have anxiety invisible to people (like worry), overstimulated in the histaminergic way, have low blood sugar due to glycolysis, have lots of saliva and libido, sleep little, and have lots of motivation and achievement.

I find this interesting, but do you have any reference for this ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals