mantq

Hey everyone!

I have a rather different question (series of questions) at hand, to put simply - what would be the best carbs in terms of staying within the 'PEATY REALM' and optimizing physical performance? First thing that comes to mind is starch, but isn't starch bad per se? Carbs make my face balloon up, however, I cannot feel/perform optimal without them!

I'm low bodyfat, pack lots of muscle on my body (you can see my other posts for body reference) and whenever I deprive or under consume carbs - my muscles visibly shrink and performance suffers in the gym.. big time. I still look very good, even leaner so without the excess water (glycogen), but that is not optimal for me. The issue, however, with consuming carbs, is that I retain a lot of water on my head (face), I can feel my heartrate go up and it stays elevated throughout the entire day, can also feel the blood pressure go up. My muscles soak the carbs for glycogen like a sponge, they look and feel pumped all the time, which is great, my sleep improves and my mood is overall better, as I'm very satiated. However the downsides make me question on how healthy that can be (probably not that healthy). I also suffer from rosacea (for context), it is not severe and comes/goes randomly, cannot really understand why that is.

What carbs could I consume in order to prevent these downsides? No starch? Fruit/Honey/Juices/Milk only? Any insights are much appreciated, I've been trying to solve this in over 2 years!

Going no starch makes it very difficult to consume enough calories, however I do have no problem consuming protein and fats. High sugar (no starch) makes my teeth sensitive and my oral health suffers quite a bit. I also get gas (no bloating) and only gas when I consume lots of sugar/honey/fruits etc.

Thanks a lot for your input once again!!!

(Sorry for my English, it is not my first language) :)

OP
mantq

mantq

Yes, white rice, white potatoes.. Unfortunately :( I'm kind of out of ideas here.. @LukasWood what carbohydrate rich foods do you consume and how does it affect you?

Osukhan

what about a dextrose powder? same reactions? i have also used resistant starch as well (Jos resistant starch) but my favorite and go to is still white rice.

aslo could use a digestive enyzme before eating, it may help

Truth

Hey everyone!

I have a rather different question (series of questions) at hand, to put simply - what would be the best carbs in terms of staying within the 'PEATY REALM' and optimizing physical performance? First thing that comes to mind is starch, but isn't starch bad per se? Carbs make my face balloon up, however, I cannot feel/perform optimal without them!

I'm low bodyfat, pack lots of muscle on my body (you can see my other posts for body reference) and whenever I deprive or under consume carbs - my muscles visibly shrink and performance suffers in the gym.. big time. I still look very good, even leaner so without the excess water (glycogen), but that is not optimal for me. The issue, however, with consuming carbs, is that I retain a lot of water on my head (face), I can feel my heartrate go up and it stays elevated throughout the entire day, can also feel the blood pressure go up. My muscles soak the carbs for glycogen like a sponge, they look and feel pumped all the time, which is great, my sleep improves and my mood is overall better, as I'm very satiated. However the downsides make me question on how healthy that can be (probably not that healthy). I also suffer from rosacea (for context), it is not severe and comes/goes randomly, cannot really understand why that is.

What carbs could I consume in order to prevent these downsides? No starch? Fruit/Honey/Juices/Milk only? Any insights are much appreciated, I've been trying to solve this in over 2 years!

Going no starch makes it very difficult to consume enough calories, however I do have no problem consuming protein and fats. High sugar (no starch) makes my teeth sensitive and my oral health suffers quite a bit. I also get gas (no bloating) and only gas when I consume lots of sugar/honey/fruits etc.

Thanks a lot for your input once again!!!

(Sorry for my English, it is not my first language) :)
Hi, from my experience, the food that has contributed to the highest degree of athleticism, highest explosiveness to weight ratio, highest degree of strength, and a lesser feeling of effort, without having muscles too swollen and while keeping the face with little water retention, is good honey if the rest of the diet is good enough

In my experience, the highest degree of athleticism WE Can reach is associated with low muscle swelling/"pump"

Osukhan

Hi, from my experience, the food that has contributed to the highest degree of athleticism, highest explosiveness to weight ratio, highest degree of strength, and a lesser feeling of effort, without having muscles too swollen and while keeping the face with little water retention, is good honey if the rest of the diet is good enough

In my experience, the highest degree of athleticism WE Can reach is associated with low muscle swelling
pre workout honey is awesome

LukasWood

Yes, white rice, white potatoes.. Unfortunately :( I'm kind of out of ideas here.. @LukasWood what carbohydrate rich foods do you consume and how does it affect you?
For Starch only white Potatoes, around 1-1,5kg per day. Otherwise Honey, Orange Juice, fruits and raw milk. Between 300-500g Carbs a day. But since i love beef, eggs, and full fat dairy mostly around 350g carbs.

What are your macros, and much protein do you consume?

ATCP

@mantq

What do you normally eat starches with?

specifically rice im curious about I.e if you're having rice is it with meat / sauce / salt / coconut oil / fruit etc?

Also how well cooked is your rice and have you experimented with short grain, long grain and Jasmine?

Jennifer

I can’t really comment on carbs and muscle fullness, since animal protein has the greatest effect on mine in that regard, but have you tried consuming fruit solely as juice to possibly avoid gas and drinking it with a straw to protect your teeth? Also, with honey, if you haven’t done so already, maybe try diluting it with some water and drinking it? I used to experience tooth sensitivity and gas with honey (and other concentrated sugars) until I started having it in the form of hot honey water during the winter. Coconut water, with its abundance of electrolytes, might reduce the water retention you experience in your face? It prevents my fingers from swelling during my training (mountain climbing).

Parrot

With potatoes, have you tried the method of peeling them, cutting them in half, soaking them for 4 hours, putting them in boiling water for a minimum of 45 minutes and then letting them cool down before cooking them again to eat? I have recently begun doing this and I usually cook 6 or 7 medium potatoes at a time, refrigerate them after they have cooled down and then re-cook smaller portions to eat with meals.
I do notice I sometimes get a little sleepy after eating them, however this doesn't last too long.

OP
mantq

mantq

For Starch only white Potatoes, around 1-1,5kg per day. Otherwise Honey, Orange Juice, fruits and raw milk. Between 300-500g Carbs a day. But since i love beef, eggs, and full fat dairy mostly around 350g carbs.

What are your macros, and much protein do you consume?
Fair enough!

I try to get at least 200g a day, but most days I'm between 220 - 270g.

My diet is quite similar with heavier emphasis on dairy products, as without dairy - I wouldn't be able to consume enough calories, especially since I'm starch free. I've recently cut out starches entirely and water retention seems to have subsided :?

OP
mantq

mantq

what about a dextrose powder? same reactions? i have also used resistant starch as well (Jos resistant starch) but my favorite and go to is still white rice.

aslo could use a digestive enyzme before eating, it may help
Thanks for reminding me about dextrose, I'll trial it again (I think I got some digestion problems last time I've used it, but it might have been related to something else).

What digestive enzyme in particular do you have in mind?

OP
mantq

mantq

With potatoes, have you tried the method of peeling them, cutting them in half, soaking them for 4 hours, putting them in boiling water for a minimum of 45 minutes and then letting them cool down before cooking them again to eat? I have recently begun doing this and I usually cook 6 or 7 medium potatoes at a time, refrigerate them after they have cooled down and then re-cook smaller portions to eat with meals.
I do notice I sometimes get a little sleepy after eating them, however this doesn't last too long.
I haven't tried that, won't hurt to try I guess!

I've been consuming a lot more dairy products since cutting out starch, but I've noticed, that I scratch my arms during sleep, could this be related at all, anyone?

I have really dry skin for the most part of my life.. Any dietary adjustments anybody could suggest to relieve/fix this? I'm not a fan of creams, ointments and anything topical, as you are ignoring the root cause and providing a temporary fix from my point of view..

Truth

Fair enough!

I try to get at least 200g a day, but most days I'm between 220 - 270g.

My diet is quite similar with heavier emphasis on dairy products, as without dairy - I wouldn't be able to consume enough calories, especially since I'm starch free. I've recently cut out starches entirely and water retention seems to have subsided :?
Hi, what do you eat?

Last edited:
OP
mantq

mantq

Hi, what do you eat?
Hey.

Lots of dairy products (whey protein, mostly curd throughout the day and ice cream before the bed). The quality of dairy is questionable and it is pasteurized without a doubt, but when I eat a lot, it is hard to find calorie dense products of good quality for a reasonable price..

Pound or so of red meat per day, 5 eggs fried in butter (sometimes drinking raw egg yolks when I don't feel like cooking or short on time), frozen mangos or other fruit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals