Dilemma Regarding Starch

stargazer1111

Here is the situation.

Let's say I eat two isocaloric meals, each having identical amounts of protein and fat but one containing half starch and have sucrose and the other containing all sucrose.

If my only source of carbs is sucrose, my blood sugar remains stable all the time.

If I consume starch, my blood sugar crashes hard into the 40s within 1-2 hours of eating.

However, I feel really bad without starch. No energy, cold, nauseous, and can't think properly.

I'm not sure what to do here. It seems like each scenario has severe drawbacks.

Kartoffel

Here is the situation.

Let's say I eat two isocaloric meals, each having identical amounts of protein and fat but one containing half starch and have sucrose and the other containing all sucrose.

If my only source of carbs is sucrose, my blood sugar remains stable all the time.

If I consume starch, my blood sugar crashes hard into the 40s within 1-2 hours of eating.

However, I feel really bad without starch. No energy, cold, nauseous, and can't think properly.

I'm not sure what to do here. It seems like each scenario has severe drawbacks.

So, you don't feel cold and anxious when your blood sugar drops into the 40s? A blood sugar that low should cause extrem coldness and anxiety.

OP
S

stargazer1111

So, you don't feel cold and anxious when your blood sugar drops into the 40s? A blood sugar that low should cause extrem coldness and anxiety.

No. The two scenarios cause different symptoms for me.

With sucrose only, I feel like my metabolism is actually dropping and like I have no energy.

With starch that causes true hypoglycemia, I actually don't notice anything until it gets below 50 and I only notice at this point because my muscles stop functioning correctly. It feels like I'm in a straight jacket. I have had hypoglycemia since 2005 or so and have in recent years developed hypoglycemia unawareness so that I don't feel the fight or flight response to it anymore. I only notice it when I'm close to actually passing out and that is when my muscles begin malfunctioning.

Kartoffel

No. The two scenarios cause different symptoms for me.

With sucrose only, I feel like my metabolism is actually dropping and like I have no energy.

With starch that causes true hypoglycemia, I actually don't notice anything until it gets below 50 and I only notice at this point because my muscles stop functioning correctly. It feels like I'm in a straight jacket. I have had hypoglycemia since 2005 or so and have in recent years developed hypoglycemia unawareness so that I don't feel the fight or flight response to it anymore. I only notice it when I'm close to actually passing out and that is when my muscles begin malfunctioning.

Ok, do you actually have any sugar cravings when your blood sugar gets really low? It sounds like you don't because that would be a telltale sign for hypoglycemia, and the way a healthy person would respond to falling blood sugar. I assume that people that have hypoglycemia yet don't crave sugar have very high serotonin. Serotonin, and the factors that promote its' production and release, all cause low blood sugar, and serotonin blocks appetite at the same time. Do you urinate a lot?

johnwester130

eat the starch with coconut oil and over salted

starch is inedible by itself and definitely messes up blood sugar

OP
S

stargazer1111

Ok, do you actually have any sugar cravings when your blood sugar gets really low? It sounds like you don't because that would be a telltale sign for hypoglycemia, and the way a healthy person would respond to falling blood sugar. I assume that people that have hypoglycemia yet don't crave sugar have very high serotonin. Serotonin, and the factors that promote its' production and release, all cause low blood sugar, and serotonin blocks appetite at the same time. Do you urinate a lot?

I never ever crave sugar no matter what my blood sugar is. I only consume it because of my understanding of its benefits. I don't urinate a lot. My blood sugar also never exceeds 150 even after consuming a ton of starch. It never goes really high, it just crashes after eating starch.

OP
S

stargazer1111

eat the starch with coconut oil and over salted

starch is inedible by itself and definitely messes up blood sugar

Believe it or not, this is exactly what I do. I eat several tablespoons of coconut oil with the starch and lots of salt. Still causes crashes.

Kartoffel

I never ever crave sugar no matter what my blood sugar is. I only consume it because of my understanding of its benefits. I don't urinate a lot. My blood sugar also never exceeds 150 even after consuming a ton of starch. It never goes really high, it just crashes after eating starch.

If you don't urinate a lot this means that you probaly don't use a signifiant amount of sugar in your urine. Thus, postprandial hyperinsulinemia or very high insulin sensitivity are the most likely causes. Did you ever get an OGTT where they measured both your glucose and insulin response? You ever try eating the same amount of calories as just starch and sugar (in equal amounts) without fat and protein?
My first suggestion would be cyproheptadine as it lowers the action of serotonin and stabilzes the liver. Therefore it might help your liver to work more efficiently over time so that it stores and releases enough glucose when your blood sugar falls.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals