Honey And Dairy Kill Libido And Ability To Get Erection

PeatReader

This is interesting because recently my libido and erection function went down and I'm trying to pinpoint it. There are many factors but milk is suspect because I started drinking a lot more recently (along with honey). I'm starting to think milk could be the culprit. Main stream nutrition advice would say that milk is bad for libido but in Ray Peat world it's supposed to be good and this forum has people reporting good results with it.

There is another post where a guy says potatoes kill his libido and in another post another guy lists hamburger, coke, and potatoes as being the key for an excellent libido... it's hard to make sense out of all these anecdotes.

OP
J

julcreutz

This is interesting because recently my libido and erection function went down and I'm trying to pinpoint it. There are many factors but milk is suspect because I started drinking a lot more recently (along with honey). I'm starting to think milk could be the culprit. Main stream nutrition advice would say that milk is bad for libido but in Ray Peat world it's supposed to be good and this forum has people reporting good results with it.

There is another post where a guy says potatoes kill his libido and in another post another guy lists hamburger, coke, and potatoes as being the key for an excellent libido... it's hard to make sense out of all these anecdotes.

Yeah, the most important ancedote is yourself. N=1 rules in my experience

jet9

Any idea why?
Carbs from starch or fruits don't do it.

I have to mention that the honey is raw (all honey in Germany is), and I was fairly allergic to pollen honey (clogged nose) so I switched to forest honey(?), which seemed to make the reaction go away, but it still killed my libido.

Dairy also causes the same loss of libido and erection quality. Butter, raw milk, yoghurt... all of it.

The effect is also pretty instantaneous, meaning over night.

I have no problem with consuming starch and fruits for carbs only, but seeing as honey and dairy are heavily promoted here, I'd like to get an idea of what you guys think of this!

which do you tolerate better? starches (sweet potatoes) or fruits?
also how do you do with rice, white potatoes, etc?

Regarding dairy / honey - listen to YOUR body, if it does not work for you don't eat it. Despite all what ray peat says i eat 0 artificial sugar (but do fruits), lots of veggies, 0 dairy and feel great.

OP
J

julcreutz

which do you tolerate better? starches (sweet potatoes) or fruits?
also how do you do with rice, white potatoes, etc?

Regarding dairy / honey - listen to YOUR body, if it does not work for you don't eat it. Despite all what ray peat says i eat 0 artificial sugar (but do fruits), lots of veggies, 0 dairy and feel great.

I tolerate starches much better than fruit.

Rice doesn't digest well and I'm allergic to white potatoes and probably other nightshades. I noticed that I'm allergic to a lot of new things after having been on a carnivore diet for about a year.

PeatReader

@julcreutz Just out of curiosity were you drinking fancy organic milk or just regular milk? Were you drinking whole, 2%, or skim?

I hadn't thought about this before but How Does Dairy Affect Your Hormone Levels?:
Because hormones like estrogen are fat-soluble, the level of hormones is higher in whole milk than in skim milk.

I believe Ray says he drinks skim milk but I always thought that was because it's less fattening. But perhaps there's also a benefit to avoiding hormones?

OP
J

julcreutz

@julcreutz Just out of curiosity were you drinking fancy organic milk or just regular milk? Were you drinking whole, 2%, or skim?

I hadn't thought about this before but How Does Dairy Affect Your Hormone Levels?:

I believe Ray says he drinks skim milk but I always thought that was because it's less fattening. But perhaps there's also a benefit to avoiding hormones?

The milk was raw from a local farm, and the yoghurt was whole milk yoghurt.

I think you could be right about the skim milk...

PeatReader

Vins7

My question as well. If your gut is out of sorts and you arent doing well with milk, its going to affect more than just your libido. Maybe you need to focus on cleaning up your gut, dialing back on the dairy until you can tolerate more. I drink at least a litre of milk a day with heavy cream and my libido is solid. Again we are different people with different physiology but I say that simply to say maybe you need to look deeper than just viewing it as a milk/honey thing.[/QUOTE
Hace you experience with cleaning up your gut? How did you do It?
Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
J

julcreutz

I think my gut is fairly healthy. I have no bloating, almost zero farting (no smells), and my poop is consistent, very regular and easy to pass.

Stifler

I have the same issue. I really wanted to avoid starches as I don't react well to it and eating more meat, but I believe I am digesting the dairy and honey fine yet it gives me this libido issue as well but tbf I am probably consuming too much (3.5L of milk)

Stifler

I solved my issue and included it here: (hoping this helps someone else because it messed me up good)

My estrogen had dropped way too low, my eating habits consisted mainly of:
Dairy, beef, honey, carrot salad, coconut oil, OJ, Mexican Cola, Coffee, Cane sugar, maple syrup, chocolate, Ice Cream occasionally

My symptoms were:
Strong disinterest in sex/weak erections (my testicles stopped hanging low, morning erections, but not much else), Depression, Fatigue, Aggression

I had seen a few threads where my symptoms were similar to those of ones who's estrogen got too low, so I ate a little fruit that I had always avoided due to estrogen content: raisins, kiwi, dates, pomegranate, etc. while avoiding the seeds and I feel 100 times better and all of my symptoms disappeared.

I'd recommend trying a bit of that to see if you feel any better and maybe you find the root of your issue as did I

serling78

The milk was raw from a local farm, and the yoghurt was whole milk yoghurt.

I think you could be right about the skim milk...

I'm lactose intolerant so I only normally drink lactose free milk and almost always skim. Although I haven't had any milk for the past couple months trying to eliminate the cause of my libido and digestion issues. I was doing a little better in the libido dept so I added back in the lactose free skim milk and after a couple days I felt the negative libido effects. It did help my digestion though for those couple days.

I don't know if it's additives in the milk or just dairy itself. Would like to be able to confirm that. Months ago I tried goat milk from an Amish farm for a while, but at the time I was also using magnesium, which is a big libido killer for me, so not sure if goat milk is worth another try now that I'm not taking magnesium .