BEANS: Anyone Else Include Legumes/lentils In Their Diet Regularly?

Luann

I eat a tablespoon or 2 of black beans about once a week, with white rice, lettuce and salsa. They just taste good.

This could be true that it's clearing out some kind of bad overgrowth, but for me I'm fine the first couple days then things just get worse and worse so persisting is incredibly hard if not impossible. I used to love more fiber in my diet but after going a long time without on the RP diet it's like I can't re-introduce it. It's the anxiety that gets me.

A large percentage of people seem to have the same experience as you. I think the key is in what the beans are being consumed with. Have you tried having beans without any saturated fat, or a meal with higher ratio of monounsaturated to saturated fats?

lvysaur

They were ‘baked beans’ from a tin. Do you have those in America? They come in a tin with tomato sauce. The beans arrive peeled, are ‘pre-baked’, and are ready in the tin ‘ready’ for immediate human consumption. They are actually really yummy like this, and this is the reason I ate two tins.
Yes, we have them. I never eat them because I find the idea of canned precooked food kind of gross. Anyway, my point is people here don't understand beans. It's like saying Turnips are bad so you shouldn't eat Carrots.

People benefit from soaking beans. Also from sprouting. Also from smaller ones. You were eating big beans (bad) that were precooked (bad since they were cooked without soak or sprouting). I've gotten gas from restaurant beans as well.

I eat mung beans (extremely small) on a weekly basis, sometimes sprouted. Zero gas issues. I think that if anyone here tried that with mung beans, or green/red lentils, or any other small pulse, they'd experience the same thing. I also eat all sorts of lentils unsprouted. I also eat big black beans, only if sprouted, among many others. No issues. There are two measures of safety here, smallness and sprouting. I think even the most raffinose intolerant person here could handle sprouted small lentils.

Yes, we have them. I never eat them because I find the idea of canned precooked food kind of gross.

Anyway, my point is people here don't understand beans. It's like saying Turnips are bad so you shouldn't eat Carrots.

People benefit from soaking beans. Also from sprouting. Also from smaller ones. You were eating big beans (bad) that were precooked (bad since they were cooked without soak or sprouting). I've gotten gas from restaurant beans as well.

I eat sprouted mung beans (extremely small) on a weekly basis. Zero gas issues. I think that if anyone here tried that with mung beans, or green/red lentils, or any other small pulse, they'd experience the same thing.

Consuming sprouts is great, especially if you sprout them yourself. Definitely more health promoting than the unsprouted equivalent. If done correctly I would guess they are exceptionally low in endotoxin when compared to other foods.

lvysaur

Consuming sprouts is great
They're not sprouts, but sprouted beans. Sprouts (colloquially) are when you let the process go to completion, essentially turning the bean into a stem-like vegetable.

Sprouted legumes are when you barely start the process, making nutrients more bioavailable but still keeping the protein content largely intact.

Bean sprout:
https://www.naturalfoodseries.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Bean-Sprouts-800x416.jpg

Sprouted bean:
https://savingdinner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Sprouted-Lentils-300x199.jpg

superGrover

People should really start posting sources when saying things like this. For example:

"One thing that happens in the vegetable diet, heavily based on [the] cabbage family, or beans, lentils and nuts, these proteins, in quality, rank about 15 times lower than the highest quality protein. And so even though a person might think they're eating nothing but protein rich foods, beans and nuts, their quality is so low that their liver simply can't respond to the thyroid. Besides that, the beans and nuts have many anti-thyroid factors."

"At least 100,000,000 Chinese are hypothyroid, and 25,000,000 are retarded and, actually, have cretinism from congenital low thyroid. It's been known most of this century that in areas where they eat beans as a staple of the diet, such as in China, many types of beans, including soybeans, but in the Andes region, just ordinary beans are the major cause of hypothyroidism, because of various anti-thyroid factors in beans, lentils, and certain nuts -- peanuts, for example. "

"cause hypothyroidism--too much estrogen or cortisol, too little progesterone, a diet containing too little good quality protein, too few calories, or diets containing significant quantities of beans, lentils, or undercooked broccoli or cauliflower—but in our culture unsaturated oils are probably the most important cause"

All found through www.l-i-g-h-t.com

Every time he mentions lentils he warns about diets predominantly based around those, so it doesn't surprise me that he thinks lentils would be okay to eat "normally" as in mixed into a single meal. Sources should still be posted though, I couldn't find any record of him talking about lentils positively.

What does "high quality protein" mean exactly?

Cirion

I am not RP but I personally interpret "high quality protein" via the amino acids they contain, the pro-metabolic AA's like glycine, proline, etc... contained in gelatin for example. Conversely, ones high in anti-metabolic AA's like tryptophan, cystine, methionine etc would be bad. I found out for myself that even too much milk was detrimental due to the excess of tryptophan and that even milk (at least for me) needs to be balanced with gelatin.

They're not sprouts, but sprouted beans. Sprouts (colloquially) are when you let the process go to completion, essentially turning the bean into a stem-like vegetable.

Sprouted legumes are when you barely start the process, making nutrients more bioavailable but still keeping the protein content largely intact.

Bean sprout:
https://www.naturalfoodseries.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Bean-Sprouts-800x416.jpg

Sprouted bean:
https://savingdinner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Sprouted-Lentils-300x199.jpg

Right, that is how I used to consume them usually. Well I would sprout at home and eat at various stages, usually as soon as I saw some green. I miss doing it, I stopped because it sort of stinks up a house, best for the summer when windows can be open.

Waremu

If one is going to try beans, I think one of the safest ones to eat are the traditional and beloved of Asia, Adzuki beans.

They are well known for being one of the easiest to digest legumes and as far as PUFA content goes, these beans are one of the lowest PUFA beans for the amount of nutrition they pack. They're even lower than green lentils in PUFA, which Ray Peat recommends to be one of the safer legumes if one is going to eat them.

Lentils are packed with folate, but have around 0.3 grams of PUFA per cup.

Well, Adzuki beans pack a lot of folate as well, but have less than 0.1 grams of PUFA per cup. In fact, it takes about 3 cups of cooked Adzuki beans to hit just 0.1 grams of PUFA and you get a whopping 834.4 mcg of Folate, which is over double the RDA for Folate. You also get 66% RDA of Vitamin B1, 59% RDA of B5, 61% the RDA of B6, and 31% the RDA of Niacin/Vitamin B3. And look at the mineral content too. It is packed with Manganese, giving you 172% the RDA, and it is also a good source of Magnesium:

upload_2019-2-19_20-57-43.png

All around, for those who eat starch, providing that you digest them well, I think these beans are one of the most bang for your buck starches/legumes.

Lastly, although I cannot find anything about the Molybdenum content of Adzuki beans, it is very likely that is also packed with Molybdenum, since it is a legume, similar to the other legumes which have been recorded to have high Molybdenum content. According to the link below, most of the popular legumes are very high in Molybdenum, ranging from 330% the DV/DRI to 273%, so it is very likely that Adzuki beans has somewhere between 330% and 273% the DRI/DV of Molybdenum.

molybdenum

upload_2019-2-19_21-8-59.png

This website claims that a 100g cooked/boiled serving of Adzuki beans will yield about 96 mcg of Molybdenum:

Nutritional values contained in Adzuki bean (whole, dried, boiled) | Whole Food Catalog

If this website is correct, that would mean that a 1 cup serving of boiled Adzuki beans would yield about 240 mcg of Molybdenum, which would even put it well above green lentils in Molybdenum content, making it one of the top sources of the trace mineral within the legume family. That amount would be well over 500% the DRI/DV of Molybdenum!

I added this because I was looking up food sources of Molybdenum because it is not very easy to get enough of if you're on a very low PUFA Ray Peat type of diet and eating fairly moderate-high protein (higher protein intake raises the need for more Molybdenum).

I am at the current moment not eating starches as I am doing a strict low PUFA type of diet, but I have been thinking that I may have to add a little bit of Adzuki for the folate and Molybdenum content because there are few foods that are high in both and are yet so low in PUFA or low enough not to add much more to my PUFA limit range. I may try them and see how I digest them if I cook them well, but I really think it may be necessary even if it means adding a little starch because getting enough of those two nutrients is important enough for me as I stick with my PUFA 'depletion' diet goals. Oddly enough, it wouldn't take very much to get my daily folate and Molybdenum needs --- maybe just one serving of cooked beans.

Last edited:

superGrover

I am not RP but I personally interpret "high quality protein" via the amino acids they contain, the pro-metabolic AA's like glycine, proline, etc... contained in gelatin for example. Conversely, ones high in anti-metabolic AA's like tryptophan, cystine, methionine etc would be bad. I found out for myself that even too much milk was detrimental due to the excess of tryptophan and that even milk (at least for me) needs to be balanced with gelatin.

On cronometer, kidney beans (100 grams, 124 cals) seem to just have more of every protein than skim milk (100 grams, 34 cals). They both seem equally balanced to me, minor differences.

OP
SOMO

SOMO

My tips for reducing bean toxicity:

1. SUPPLEMENT WITH CALCIUM (not optional.) The extra calcium is needed to balance the high Phosphorus content of the beans.

2. Buy dried or fresh beans, avoid canned beans whenever possible.

3. If you are going to use canned beans, make sure to drain the liquid and rinse the beans. The liquid from the cans likely contains BPA and other undesirable compounds from the can itself.

4. Soak the beans overnight in SALTED and ACIDIC Brine (Vinegar + 1 heaping tablespoon salt per cup of beans.)

5. Cook the beans very well, at least 20 minutes of boiling in unsalted water. If the beans have skins the skins, like lima beans/broad beans, the skins should be coming off during the cooking process or after cooling.
Cooking in unsalted water is important because it will allow the beans to get softer, cooking beans in salted water can make them shrivel up and actually become tougher/harder. When all the water is absorbed from the beans through osmosis, the inside does not cook properly and you risk ingesting more uncooked starch.

6. Don't mix the beans with other starches like tortillas or rice. This will reduce the starch load and ensure better digestion of the beans. Vegans often say to combine beans and rice to get a "complete protein/complete amino acids." But beans are generally consumed alongside meat, so this food mixing is not necessary in my opinion.

7. If you are going to consume beans, consider an enzyme supplement with Amyalse and Cellulase to break down the fibers in the beans further.

8. Consider using a pressure cooker versus a pot on a stove. Pressure-cooking the beans reduces the hard-to-digest undesirable compounds more than stovetop cooking.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

-I'm not denying that legumes/lentils have undesirable qualities. I am denying that these undesirable qualities can't be reduced significantly by proper cooking methods.
-Beans are not incompatible with good health and good digestion.
-Potatoes or rice are also not a suitable "alternative" to beans because they taste different and have a different texture. (I love plain salted potatoes and plain white sushi rice btw.)
-Some people just do better with a moderate amount of well-cooked starch in their diet and starch, for me, creates firm bowel movements that don't require wiping vs. fruit which causes overly soft stools that are kind of messy.
-Not all food needs to be looked at through the lens of "Broken metabolism". For those of us with ok or even good health, I doubt beans will "ruin" our health.
-RP regularly states that emphasis needs to be placed on good food preparation and whole foods, rather than supplements or isolated nutrients.
-I tried eating just white sugar and got a lot of acne and skin dermatitis. Basically, anytime you consume glucose/sucrose/fructose without also including B Vitamins (as in the case of white sugar) you're using up B-Vitamins needed for glucose oxidation. If you're already low on B-Vitamins or minerals and you consume white sugar or even honey, you will not benefit and your health will likely suffer. But with beans no acne or skin issues, but many here would say white sugar > legumes.

If beans will have some negative effect in me 30 years down the line, I guess those that never consume properly-prepared and cooked legumes can say "I told you so." But until then, I think beans are fine to consume when the rest of your diet is healthy.

Beans are, fortunately, easy to avoid for those that wish to do so.

Am I insane for including beans in my diet when the rest of my diet follows RP principles (high dairy and calcium intake, very low-PUFA, high fruit intake and minimizing estrogen/serotonin/overall stress.) I seem to suffer no overt ill-effects from legumes and lentils.

I always hated beans growing up. I think I thought of them as a peasant food, I remember my mother saying we were broke but it was OK we'd just eat beans for the rest of the month. But when I was 18 I moved to Costa Rica. Rica and beans is basically always on the menu. Gallo Pinto is a great dish if it's done right. In Guanacaste province it's a "blue zone" where lots of centenarians live per capita. In my opinion, for whatever reason I think Ray is wrong about beans. Beans are commonly consumed in blue zones, and rica and beans is very healthy from what I've seen. I don't know if it's the fiber, protein, something yet to be discovered, but I think beans are one of the healthiest foods around. They don't taste great unless properly seasoned, but hey neither do potatoes which I also think are healthy. Maybe different people react differently to different foods?

boris

I always hated beans growing up. I think I thought of them as a peasant food, I remember my mother saying we were broke but it was OK we'd just eat beans for the rest of the month. But when I was 18 I moved to Costa Rica. Rica and beans is basically always on the menu. Gallo Pinto is a great dish if it's done right. In Guanacaste province it's a "blue zone" where lots of centenarians live per capita. In my opinion, for whatever reason I think Ray is wrong about beans. Beans are commonly consumed in blue zones, and rica and beans is very healthy from what I've seen. I don't know if it's the fiber, protein, something yet to be discovered, but I think beans are one of the healthiest foods around. They don't taste great unless properly seasoned, but hey neither do potatoes which I also think are healthy. Maybe different people react differently to different foods?

Guacanaste people eat a lot of fresh fruit like papayas and squash, animal protein nose to tail, cheese, nixtamalized corn tortillas, and saturated fat, no PUFA oils. Many also grow their own food. They would probably live longer if they didn't ate beans.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov | The Nicoya region of Costa Rica: a high longevity island for elderly males

Eberhardt

My tips for reducing bean toxicity:

1. SUPPLEMENT WITH CALCIUM (not optional.) The extra calcium is needed to balance the high Phosphorus content of the beans.

2. Buy dried or fresh beans, avoid canned beans whenever possible.

3. If you are going to use canned beans, make sure to drain the liquid and rinse the beans. The liquid from the cans likely contains BPA and other undesirable compounds from the can itself.

4. Soak the beans overnight in SALTED and ACIDIC Brine (Vinegar + 1 heaping tablespoon salt per cup of beans.)

5. Cook the beans very well, at least 20 minutes of boiling in unsalted water. If the beans have skins the skins, like lima beans/broad beans, the skins should be coming off during the cooking process or after cooling.
Cooking in unsalted water is important because it will allow the beans to get softer, cooking beans in salted water can make them shrivel up and actually become tougher/harder. When all the water is absorbed from the beans through osmosis, the inside does not cook properly and you risk ingesting more uncooked starch.

6. Don't mix the beans with other starches like tortillas or rice. This will reduce the starch load and ensure better digestion of the beans. Vegans often say to combine beans and rice to get a "complete protein/complete amino acids." But beans are generally consumed alongside meat, so this food mixing is not necessary in my opinion.

7. If you are going to consume beans, consider an enzyme supplement with Amyalse and Cellulase to break down the fibers in the beans further.

8. Consider using a pressure cooker versus a pot on a stove. Pressure-cooking the beans reduces the hard-to-digest undesirable compounds more than stovetop cooking.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

-I'm not denying that legumes/lentils have undesirable qualities. I am denying that these undesirable qualities can't be reduced significantly by proper cooking methods.
-Beans are not incompatible with good health and good digestion.
-Potatoes or rice are also not a suitable "alternative" to beans because they taste different and have a different texture. (I love plain salted potatoes and plain white sushi rice btw.)
-Some people just do better with a moderate amount of well-cooked starch in their diet and starch, for me, creates firm bowel movements that don't require wiping vs. fruit which causes overly soft stools that are kind of messy.
-Not all food needs to be looked at through the lens of "Broken metabolism". For those of us with ok or even good health, I doubt beans will "ruin" our health.
-RP regularly states that emphasis needs to be placed on good food preparation and whole foods, rather than supplements or isolated nutrients.
-I tried eating just white sugar and got a lot of acne and skin dermatitis. Basically, anytime you consume glucose/sucrose/fructose without also including B Vitamins (as in the case of white sugar) you're using up B-Vitamins needed for glucose oxidation. If you're already low on B-Vitamins or minerals and you consume white sugar or even honey, you will not benefit and your health will likely suffer. But with beans no acne or skin issues, but many here would say white sugar > legumes.

If beans will have some negative effect in me 30 years down the line, I guess those that never consume properly-prepared and cooked legumes can say "I told you so." But until then, I think beans are fine to consume when the rest of your diet is healthy.

Beans are, fortunately, easy to avoid for those that wish to do so.

Am I insane for including beans in my diet when the rest of my diet follows RP principles (high dairy and calcium intake, very low-PUFA, high fruit intake and minimizing estrogen/serotonin/overall stress.) I seem to suffer no overt ill-effects from legumes and lentils.
How much vinegar would you use per cup of beans? :)

Amazoniac

- Soaking and cooking modify the alpha-galacto-oligosaccharide and dietary fibre content in five Mediterranean legumes

"Bahthoula is a Tunisian dish prepared with various soaked legume species (lentil, faba bean, Egyptian faba bean, fenugreek and chickpea). Using this dish as a model, we studied the changes in dietary fibres and a-GOS content during soaking and cooking. This study was undertaken (i) to determine the content in soluble sugars, especially a-GOS (raffinose, stachyose and verbascose), and in SDF [Soluble Dietary Fiber] and IDF in the five Mediterranean legumes used for Bahthoula preparation; (ii) to investigate and elaborate hypotheses on the mechanisms of their changes during soaking in traditional conditions; and finally (iii) to study the effect of cooking on the whole Bahthoula dish, as eaten."

"a-GOS contain 1–3 units of galactose linked to sucrose by a-1,6 linkages that are not hydrolysed in the upper part of the human gastrointestinal tract, due to the absence of the enzyme a-galactosidase. In the colon, they are fermented together with soluble dietary fibres by the colon microbiota, generating significant amounts of short-chain fatty acids (SCFA). These fermentation substrates stimulate the growth of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria and the decrease of enterobacteria in the intestinal microflora. This prebiotic action (Martınez-Villaluenga et al. 2008; Slavin 2013) is beneficial for the host’s well-being and health. However, fermentation also produces gases (carbon dioxide, hydrogen and methane) that generate bloating and flatulence. Flatus production is considered to be the most important deterrent to the consumption of grain legumes (Aguilera et al. 2009; Berrios et al. 2010)."

"Raw legume seeds contained large amounts of total a-GOS (Table 1), from about 2500 mg/100 g DM in chickpea to more than 4000 mg/100 g DM in fenugreek. The main a-GOS were raffinose, stachyose and verbascose. Huge differences in a-GOS content were observed among the five legume seeds."

"For all legumes, soaking led to a variable reduction in the total a-GOS content (Figure 2), depending on the seed type and soaking time point. This decrease could result from leaching i.e. diffusion in the soaking water, or from enzymatic degradation that can take place in the seeds or in the soaking water (Coffigniez et al. 2018). After 16 h of soaking (the traditional soaking time in Tunisian households), the total a-GOS loss ranged from 10% (lentil and faba bean) to 40% (chickpea seeds). Longer soaking time further reduced the a-GOS content only in fenugreek that exhibited an almost linear decrease of a-GOS content. In the other seed types, a slight increase in total a-GOS was observed between 16 and 24 h. This could be a passive increase caused by the leaching of other soluble compounds from the seeds in the soaking water."

"Significant a-GOS reduction by soaking has been previously reported in soybean (Mulimani et al. 1997) and various legumes, including lentil and faba bean (Abdel-Gawad 1993). During soaking, seeds absorb water, while raffinose, stachyose and verbascose, which are all water-soluble, may leach out of the seeds into the soaking water (Han and Baik 2006; Coffigniez et al. 2018), or are enzymatically degraded to lower molecular weight sugars (Vidal-Valverde et al. 2002; Martínez-Villaluenga et al. 2008; Berrios et al. 2010). Indeed, very low amounts of a-GOS were found in soaking water (Supplementary Figure 1). And large amounts of hydrolysis products, such as galactose, glucose and fructose, were found in the soaked seeds and also in the soaking water (Supplementary Figure 1). This indicated that enzymatic degradation occurred in the seeds and in the soaking water, after leaching. Endogenous alpha-galactosidase is present in seeds (Coffigniez et al. 2018) and produces raffinose from stachyose, and stachyose from verbascose, at low soaking temperatures. Alpha-galactosidase hydrolyses a-GOS by cutting the terminal galactose, and this could explain the increase in galactose content observed in fenugreek, faba bean, Egyptian FB and chickpea during soaking."

"Cooking after soaking led to a further decrease in raffinose (−32%), stachyose (−25%) and verbascose (−35%) and to a significant increase in galactose content (+54%) in the whole dish (Supplementary Table 1). This should be attributed to further enzymatic degradation, due to better conditions for the expression of a-galactosidase activity. Alpha-galactosidase from lentils are active in the temperature range 20–50 °C and up to 65 °C, and have optimal pH of 4.7, 5.5 or 6.1, depending on their isoforms (Dey et al. 1983; Celem et al. 2009). Indeed the pH of all soaked legumes after 16 h-soaking was around 6.0 as shown in Figure 1. During heating, the temperature increased progressively and conditions were met for higher a-galactosidase action."

"In some legumes, IDF content decreased significantly during the first hours of soaking (fenugreek showed the highest reduction (−28% at 6 h) while in other legumes, the reduction was low (lentil, −17% at 6 h) or even not significant (Table 2). This reduction could be due to partial IDF solubilisation from cell wall material (Rehman et al. 2004; Aguilera et al. 2009), which is not closely linked to the fibre matrix. In chickpea, faba bean and Egyptian FB, a small IDF reduction could have been masked by its passive increase due to leaching of other soluble compounds after several hours of soaking. On the other hand, the SDF fraction showed a quantitative increase of +41% in fenugreek and of +3% in lentil seeds at 1 h. In the other legumes, SDF content tended to increase during the first-hour soaking, but this was significant only for Egyptian FB (+27% at 1 h)."

"Cooking also increased the IDF content of the Bahthoula dish (+23%), while the SDF fraction remained almost constant (Supplementary Table 1). Similarly, a previous study showed that cooking markedly increases IDF content in chickpea (Perez-Hidalgo et al. 1997; Vasishtha and Srivastava 2013). This IDF increase can be due to the formation of resistant starch that is partially measured by the method used in our study for fibre determination. Authors suggested that such IDF increase during cooking could be due to Maillard’s reaction (Vasishtha and Srivastava 2013). However, Maillard’s reaction is usually limited during hydrothermal processing."

"The balance between the beneficial and adverse effects mainly depends on the dose at which the a-GOS are consumed. It has been suggested that a daily amount of 3 g of a-GOS is enough to obtain the beneficial prebiotic action, while higher doses could cause too much flatulence and digestive troubles (Martínez-Villaluenga et al. 2008). A portion of 296 g of Bahthoula provides 0.7 g of total a-GOS, thus contributing to 22% of the effective daily dose. However, for people suffering from irritable bowel disease, further decrease in a-GOS content would be desirable."

Amazoniac

Man the only steamed veggies I like are broccoli and green beans. I do have a history of gut issues. I was pretty healthy back when I ate a more typical 'healthy' diet which included greens and other plant foods I stopped eating altogether on the Peat diet. Beans definitely cause issues for me now. What would you say is the best way to incorporate these foods again? Go slowly?
Yes, like they do in Exposure Therapy. When the negative reactions begin to kick in, it's great timing for boosting the immune system (controlled hyperthermia, sun exposure, topical venom, and so on).

I think that the least traumatic way to induce marked shifts in gut composition is to find an agreeable fermentable carb and consume preferentially early in the day. Your ascourgic acid supplementation in large doses may have had such effect. When you discontinued or decreased its dose, you also diminished the extra edemium/sodium that you was consuming along, it could have been contributing to the beneficial effect.

In case you're not fond of the troubling food in question, what makes it nutritious? You can supplement the compounds to grasp if the food becomes objectionable. For someone with gut damage, going through a challenging phase of adaptation might not be worth it, can aggravate malabsorption syndromes and increase the risk of serious complications. It's safer to rely on supplements until the lesions are healed and only then deal with challenges.

The food has to taste great or be prepared in a way that makes it so, with the anti-masking condition that the meal should be less palatable without it.

Have you identified the problematic components? This might allow you to find a way around the situation or reintroduce in the most tolerable form. For example, if the leaves menace is from roughage, you can cook them thoroughly and puree for soups or sauces. In case it's due to nasty microbes, it must be better to rely on leaves in the form of herbs, they're packed with antimicrobials, consuming them raw or undercooked will conserve the protective compounds.

With beans, the traditional varieties that are consumed regularly tend to be selected for tolerability, the exotic ones can be harsher. Some beans require less preparation, these tend to be milder. If I'm not wrong, young beans are also gentler. Small beans will contain more skin per serving, which must concentrate toxins; there are tutorials on how to remove it. A decrease in the fermentable compounds is not necessarily better, varying the soaking length or the amount of liquid discarded can result in a better response (beans have to retain nutrients to thrive).

You can try to add killcium to the meal like Raj suggests (would help to prevent excessive fermentation, it's not from balancing senescium/phosphorus), experiment reducing or excluding long-chain fats (bile can have an unexpected effect), add the short-chain fatty acids, diversify the fermentable sources, bull**** before the meal, avoid animal protein with it, load up on spices, caffeine (the meal is loaded with morbydenum anyway), ripofflavin and pyridoxal to maximize the utilization of morbydenum and potentiate the effect of the fiber (Dinkov, 2016; Koch, 1961), and microdose venom D (something like 10 mcg, with boron if needed).

There are persons who eat beans with plenty of fat, meat, eggs, garlic and onion, finish the meal with a chocolate dessert and wonder why beans are not handled well.

GreekDemiGod

Unless one is vegan / completely plant-based, why would the protein quality of beans even matter? Since you're eating a mix of plant and animal proteins throughout the day.

laleto12

Turkish dish beans and rice is quite heavenly. One gotta eat it here and there :D

Amazoniac

- Unlocking gut health with the prebiotic galactooligosaccharide (GOS) and probiotic L. reuteri to keep pathogenic S. typhimurium at bay

Abstract said:
The microbiome is a dynamic community that can positively and negatively influence host health. Lactobacillus reuteri is a probiotic that has received much attention for its ability to inhibit pathogens such as Salmonella typhimurium, Escherichia coli, and Clostridium difficile. It does so by its unique ability to metabolize glycerol into the antimicrobial compound 3-HPA, which is commonly referred to as reuterin. The ability to secrete reuterin is dependent not only on glycerol availability but also the concentration of glucose. In fact, there appears to be a “goldilocks” ratio between glucose and glycerol as either too much or too little glucose significantly diminishes reuterin production. Since L. reuteri primarily resides in distal regions of the intestine and colon where most of the glucose has already been absorbed, it seems unlikely that reuterin production would be promoted at the physiological level via this mechanism.

Prebiotics are carbohydrates that are indigestible by the host and remain for enzymatic digestion by intestinal probiotics. Inulin and galactooligosaccharides (GOS) are two widely studied prebiotics that are known for their ability to promote the growth of a wide range of lactobacilli, and have been shown to promote L. reuteri growth to varying degrees. Here, we asked if prebiotics such as inulin and GOS promote the production of reuterin in the absence of glucose. L. reuteri were cultured in TSB with or without glycerol in the presence of either glucose, inulin, or GOS, and assessed for their ability to produce reuterin. While inulin did not enhance the production of reuterin, GOS induced reuterin production, although 45% less than that of glucose. Moreover, unlike the dose-dependence observed with glucose, incubation with GOS induced similar reuterin production regardless of concentration. This suggests that an enzymatic equilibrium may exist where glucose/galactose is cleaved from GOS only as needed by L. reuteri. Finally, to confirm the biopotency of reuterin production, we cultured S. typhimurium with supernatants from L. reuteri that were grown with various carbohydrates. Supernatant dilutions as low as 1:15 were able to significantly retard growth of S. typhimurium with ratios of 1:1 completely inhibiting growth. Together, these results suggest that prebiotics such as GOS may be able to elicit physiologically relevant production of reuterin, which may shape the flora of the microbiome and reduce incidence and severity of pathological infections. Further, as GOS are particularly abundant in breast milk, it suggests a possible link for early immunoprotection from intestinal pathogens while the infant is still immunologically naïve.