Diet and Immunity

Milkmeateggs

Hey everyone, I have been reading lot of Ray's articles, and also following the forum for quite a while but this is my first post here. I have a few questions about my diet and immunity, any insights or suggestions are appriciated. I am a 21 year old male from Eastern Europe.

Some info about me and health issues: I got a chronic throat/ear infection ~3 years ago that progressed into chronic digestive issues, IBS etc, (due to some pharmaceuticals). I don't want to bore anyone with the details about the different approaches I tried and what happened(raw vegan, paleo, ketogenic, weston a. price etc.) because it was a really long period. Long story short my digestion is completely okay now, as long as I avoid PUFA/grains/legumes/excess muscle meat, fiber. The only health issue I have is I still have the chronic ear infection and some dental problems which I had now for years and is incredibly annoying. I listened to the Danny Roddy podcast with haidut, and asked him for advice as he mentioned he had sinus infections too while paleo. He recommended a moderate protein high carb very low fat diet, carbs mostly coming from sugars not starch to reduce serotonin. Are there any members here who had chronic infections that cleared up from a low fat peatish diet?

It makes a lot of sense, and I think I was consuming too much fat even though from the safe saturated/monounsaturated variety (quarts of whole milk, cooking with lots of coconut oil/butter, lot of full fat cheese) that may be the reason my infection still didn't clear up, and I remember when I consumed lot of fresh ripe fruits in summer, I felt like my infection is clearing a little. But I really find it difficult, if not impossible to go so low fat, and also to avoid starches completely. Here is why: I read from Ray's recommendations he says fruits should be only eaten if tree ripened and tropical fruits are the best. Most tropical fruits in stores look gross, very unripe, they are also expensive and sometimes have absolutely no sugar content. Orange juice is available but it is either with pulp or with enzyme usage, or from concentrate. The other problem I have with getting most carbs from fruit or juices is I don't do well with all the liquid. I can get dates from Iran(not sure if this is good or not) but usually it hurts my teeth same as raw honey. My only protein source would be quark from the market which even though I cannot know the macros for sure it is pretty low fat but most meat is out given its naturally high fat and the required fat to cook it in, as well as cheese as there is no low fat variety available.

I designed this diet, not sure how I will feel on it yet. Please feel free to point out any possible negative elements or if you have suggestions, it is highly appriciated. I salt everything to taste.

Wake up Breakfast ~7 am:
grapes or other fruits, or grape juice, 4 ounce quark

Snack ~10 am
2 boiled eggs
grapes or other fruits, grape juice

Lunch ~13 pm
raw carrot with vinegar
1 cup bone broth (I get the fat off)
4 ounce oxtail(mostly low fat because I take the fat off from the broth) with some well cooked sweet potatoes ~500 g

Snack ~16 pm
4 ounce quark, some fruits

Dinner ~20 pm
mashed potatoes, tiny bit of milk added

Once a week I switch out the oxtail for some goose/chicken liver if I can find fresh, and again once a week I switch it out for some mussels with white rice.
This turns out to be 2450 calories 15% protein 72% carbs 13% fat according to chronometer, but I think it counts too much fat for the oxtail so it is likely lower. Only 3 g of PUFA.
The goal is to reduce PUFA, endotoxin levels, as well as serotonin/estrogen, cortisol and other possible immuno suppressants.

Other then the health issues I listed: ear/throat infection, some teeth with cavities, I am in good shape, pretty lean and muscular. I train in the gym once a week, (maybe I need to stop even this amount of exercise?) and walk/ride the bike few times a week. I also try to stay active in general, getting out in the morning walking to the market, at night doing some yoga, stretching, meditation to reduce stress, and get a good night sleep.

I have not been taking any supplements for 2 years now, but I bought some vitamin E today, since I will go on a much lower fat diet probably releasing some PUFA, also got some aspirin as haidut mentioned it is good to stop lipolysis. Any other supplements I should consider?

I still don't know what to think of Fructose, I know Ray says its beneficial, but I think I read in the Perfect Health Diet book, that mice fed fructose have higher endotoxin levels then on any other diet, now I didn't look into the studies they referenced, probably something is flawed with them. According to Ray it is the opposite, and starch is what can increase endotoxin, now from my experience fructose is only harmful in combination with PUFA, (which basically means PUFA is harmful, and fructose is not.) so I shouldn't worry about it. Starch is only bad for me if it comes from grains, and not from tubers so basically grains are the problem not the starch, at least for me.

The post turned out to be a bit longer then I expected, sorry about that.

Derok

actually i want to follow the same way of diet...i got a disturbing phlegm and i guess coconut/butter oil doesnt let it heals. but i thought saturated fat was healthy....is such a confusion to eat actually for me.

answersfound

To beat your infection, I would just focus on getting temps up. Obviously, it's easier said than done, but I don't think the infection can survive in a warm body. When my health tanked, I got chronic sinus infections. When I started to heal, they went away. You may want to use a thyroid supplement, because an ear infection is not something you want to linger.

OP
M

Milkmeateggs

Blossom said:

Thank you :P

Derok said:
post 104923 actually i want to follow the same way of diet...i got a disturbing phlegm and i guess coconut/butter oil doesnt let it heals. but i thought saturated fat was healthy....is such a confusion to eat actually for me.

Yeah it is quite confusing, Ray also mentiones that saturated fat is antimicrobial, but for this infection I have, it doesn't seem to have helped. I have already read so many conflicting data on chronic infections hard to know what is true.

answersfound said:
post 104924 To beat your infection, I would just focus on getting temps up. Obviously, it's easier said than done, but I don't think the infection can survive in a warm body. When my health tanked, I got chronic sinus infections. When I started to heal, they went away. You may want to use a thyroid supplement, because an ear infection is not something you want to linger.

What do you think is the best way to acomplish that? Obviously lots of caloricly dense food comes to mind, but usually after a certain point I just get sick if I overeat, or eat when not hungry, I guess I get glucolipotoxiciy.

Last edited by a moderator:

answersfound

Milkmeateggs said:
post 104987
Blossom said:

Thank you :P

Derok said:
post 104923 actually i want to follow the same way of diet...i got a disturbing phlegm and i guess coconut/butter oil doesnt let it heals. but i thought saturated fat was healthy....is such a confusion to eat actually for me.

Yeah it is quite confusing, Ray also mentiones that saturated fat is antimicrobial, but for this infection I have, it doesn't seem to have helped. I have already read so many conflicting data on chronic infections hard to know what is true.

answersfound said:
post 104924 To beat your infection, I would just focus on getting temps up. Obviously, it's easier said than done, but I don't think the infection can survive in a warm body. When my health tanked, I got chronic sinus infections. When I started to heal, they went away. You may want to use a thyroid supplement, because an ear infection is not something you want to linger.

What do you think is the best way to acomplish that? Obviously lots of caloricly dense food comes to mind, but usually after a certain point I just get sick if I overeat, or eat when not hungry, I guess I get glucolipotoxiciy.

Desiccated thyroid

Matt1951

Ray Peat likes protein. It increases metabolism. I would suggest adding a quart of milk to what you are currently eating, which is 32 grams? more protein. So you would still be moderate protein, and would boost you towards 3000 calories, which should be good for a young man. Your grams of protein would go from ~60 grams up to ~90 grams. I drink a quart of whole milk for lunch every day. Add a raw carrot salad, again per Peat. Also red light therapy. I would do that before I used thyroid, based on other Peaters posting here. Use thyroid if all else fails, or if your labs say you are hypothyroid. What is your current temperature? How much salt do you use? Salt increases metabolism. So does coffee (I am allergic to coffee). My sinuses are vastly better following Peat. My temperature also corrected. You may wish to contact Ray Peat directly, his consultation fees are very reasonable. I assume he is still consulting new clients. Haidut has some very interesting supplements which also could help, ask Haidut for guidance.

tara

:welcome milkmeateggs

Milkmeateggs said:
post 104987 What do you think is the best way to accomplish that? Obviously lots of calorically dense food comes to mind, but usually after a certain point I just get sick if I overeat, or eat when not hungry, I guess I get glucolipotoxiciy.

Have you checked your resting pulse and body temps a few times? That can give an idea of general metabolism. If they are low, that indicates likely lowish thyroid function. If this is the case, I agree with answers about trying to get metabolism up, but I generally favour seeing what you can do with food, sunlight, etc first.

This looks like undereating to me. Have all your various experimental diets been low calorie ones? That might contribute to keeping your metabolism down. Your system may have adapted to this, so it could take a while for it to get used to enough food again. It doesn't always seem to be an easy process, and there are different ideas about how to approach it - force feed or gradually increase in pace with metabolism.

You don't have to choose between very high fat and very low fat. According to Peat, having a little saturated fat can help protect against the PUFA we are likely to have accumulated in our tissues. It can often help with digestion, too.

OP
M

Milkmeateggs

Matt1951 said:
post 104997 Ray Peat likes protein. It increases metabolism. I would suggest adding a quart of milk to what you are currently eating, which is 32 grams? more protein. So you would still be moderate protein, and would boost you towards 3000 calories, which should be good for a young man. Your grams of protein would go from ~60 grams up to ~90 grams. I drink a quart of whole milk for lunch every day. Add a raw carrot salad, again per Peat. Also red light therapy. I would do that before I used thyroid, based on other Peaters posting here. Use thyroid if all else fails, or if your labs say you are hypothyroid. What is your current temperature? How much salt do you use? Salt increases metabolism. So does coffee (I am allergic to coffee). My sinuses are vastly better following Peat. My temperature also corrected. You may wish to contact Ray Peat directly, his consultation fees are very reasonable. I assume he is still consulting new clients. Haidut has some very interesting supplements which also could help, ask Haidut for guidance.

Thank you Matt for your answer, Yeah maybe I can add in a quart of whole milk, but not in one meal rather in smaller doses since a quart in one sitting seems to upset my stomach, but I do love milk the reason I thought I won't include it is because it is again more liquid and quite a bit of fat. Oh yeah I forgot the raw carrot, will definitely include it somewhere thx for reminding me. I wouldn't want to use thyroid at this point, since I improved a lot already on diet alone. Coffe makes me a little overexcited but I do have it on occasion. Temperature is around 97,7 fahrenheit depending on what I ate. Didn't really want to bother Ray with this as I figured he probably has more important things to do, but I might consider.

tara said:
post 105036

Have you checked your resting pulse and body temps a few times? That can give an idea of general metabolism. If they are low, that indicates likely lowish thyroid function. If this is the case, I agree with answers about trying to get metabolism up, but I generally favour seeing what you can do with food, sunlight, etc first.

This looks like undereating to me. Have all your various experimental diets been low calorie ones? That might contribute to keeping your metabolism down. Your system may have adapted to this, so it could take a while for it to get used to enough food again. It doesn't always seem to be an easy process, and there are different ideas about how to approach it - force feed or gradually increase in pace with metabolism.

You don't have to choose between very high fat and very low fat. According to Peat, having a little saturated fat can help protect against the PUFA we are likely to have accumulated in our tissues. It can often help with digestion, too.

Thank you :) Yeah I have on occasion, usually between 97 and 98 fahrenheit, and my pulse is between 60 and 75. I sunbathed everyday in the summer but now that winter is here, I don't get much sun unfortunately.

Yeah many were low calorie unfortunately paleo was mostly lean meat and veggies, then raw vegan was fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. Both was definitely too low calorie. I was 115 pounds at one point which is dangerously low for my height (6 ft 1) I am now back to 165 pounds and as I said thankfully always been pretty lean, so didn't accumulate a lot of PUFA.

I see, the only thing that really makes me hot is a huge amounts of white rice with lots of salt and some meat/cheese, I sometimes eat over 250 g of carbs from this one meal alone and feel pretty good after, but I am thinking that this much carbs from rice is probably not a good idea given that it has very little micronutrients. I was thinking I am already having enough fat that is naturally occuring and would really benefit from eating more carbs instead. But I will use a few coconut oil/butter then when needed for cooking. Thank you tara for the help!

Oh I am also eating seaweed sometimes for iodine and other minerals is this a good idea?

OP
M

Milkmeateggs

Not sure if it is ok to document my progress here, or at somewhere else, anyway if its not please let me know.

Today I ate:
2 boiled eggs, leftover sweet potato and grapes
and because I was lazy to make other food 3 times I had grapes and quark and a carrot salad
had some boiled potatoes with quark for the last meal, I noticed that I have theese pain spikes in both of my tonsils, but in kind of a good way, teeth also feels strong.

Tomorrow will buy a quart of milk to add to the diet, and more of these grapes as I managed to find some very sweet and ripe ones. What else could be good for increasing protein? I was thinking of steak or lamb as I read in Ray's general dietary advice he eats meat twice a day, with some broth of course to balance out the amino acids.

So far didn't experience anything from the vit E(400 IU) or aspirin(500 mg) daily, I think I will reduce the amount of aspirin though just to be on the safe side.

Matt1951

Peat says he varies his protein source, don't remember his exact words, but based on what tastes good or wanting some variety, so meat or fish should be good. He prefers white fish like sole or cod to fatty fish like salmon. Agree with reducing the aspirin. He also eats at least occasionally things like rice (he added coconut oil to) or bacon (he fries in coconut oil).

tara

Milkmeateggs said:
post 105061 Thank you :) Yeah I have on occasion, usually between 97 and 98 fahrenheit, and my pulse is between 60 and 75.
That sounds a little low but not extreme, depending on when they were taken etc.

Milkmeateggs said:
post 105061 Thank you :) I sunbathed everyday in the summer but now that winter is here, I don't get much sun unfortunately.
Good that you got sun in summer.
Some people here have found that supplementing red light (orange through near-infrared) makes a big difference. There are extensive threads on this. Peat has recommended strong incandescents.

Milkmeateggs said:
post 105061 Yeah many were low calorie unfortunately paleo was mostly lean meat and veggies, then raw vegan was fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. Both was definitely too low calorie. I was 115 pounds at one point which is dangerously low for my height (6 ft 1) I am now back to 165 pounds and as I said thankfully always been pretty lean, so didn't accumulate a lot of PUFA.
Glad you've come up from the high danger zone. At 115 pounds, I imagine that PUFA would be amongst the lesser problems.

Milkmeateggs said:
post 105061 I see, the only thing that really makes me hot is a huge amounts of white rice with lots of salt and some meat/cheese, I sometimes eat over 250 g of carbs from this one meal alone and feel pretty good after, but I am thinking that this much carbs from rice is probably not a good idea given that it has very little micronutrients. I was thinking I am already having enough fat that is naturally occuring and would really benefit from eating more carbs instead. But I will use a few coconut oil/butter then when needed for cooking. Thank you tara for the help!

I'd say, given your energy deficiency history, that if you like eating salty rice and meat and cheese and it makes you feel warm and good, it might be great as part of a wider diet. Peat tends to favour beef and lamb because ruminants (or at least the creatures in their rumens) can convert a lot of the PUFA they eat to SAF. Good to also get some foods with more of the other minerals too, eg weekly liver, oyster if available, green vege broths can be good for minerals, and lots of fruit/juice. Some of us here use cronometer from similar from time to time to check on the nutrients in a typical days diet. You can balance muscle meats with gelatine if you want more favourable amino acid balance. Some people find collagen hydrolysate easier to digest, and if they are both difficult, some supplement glycine. You might have a bit of growing to catch up.
I've not read that Peat eats meat twice a day, but maybe I missed it? Or maybe that was counting all the variants of beef, fish, shellfish, and including gelatinous broths etc?

Here's a thread with some thoughts on recovering from undereating, inspired by youreatopia. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4028&hilit=youreatopia

Milkmeateggs said:
post 105061 Oh I am also eating seaweed sometimes for iodine and other minerals is this a good idea?
Peat says seaweed is indiscriminate about what it absorbs, so it can carry some unwanted things as well as desirable minerals. He says that excess iodine can be as much of a problem as too little. My guess is if you can get your minerals covered with other foods it may be better, but if you can't then seaweed may be better than nothing. And seaweed from clean oceans is better than from polluted ones. I've had times of eating it fairly regularly in the past in soups etc, but now it's just occasional (sushi:)). Peat favours getting more calcium than phosphorus (ideally probably 1.5:1).

The chronic infections must be a serious pain. I think there is a good chance that if you can get your metabolism up, your system will be better able to fight them. No guarantees of a quick and complete fix, though, so you probably still have to handle them somehow in the meantime. Peat is not averse to antibiotics in general, but he does favour some as safer than others. They can sometimes have the positive side-effect of reducing gut bacteria, and therefore endotoxin load on the system.

If you are taking aspirin regularly, and esp. if you also take antibiotics, it may be wise to supplement vit K2, though you should get some from aged cheese, if that's what you are eating.

OP
M

Milkmeateggs

Matt1951 said:
post 105129 Peat says he varies his protein source, don't remember his exact words, but based on what tastes good or wanting some variety, so meat or fish should be good. He prefers white fish like sole or cod to fatty fish like salmon. Agree with reducing the aspirin. He also eats at least occasionally things like rice (he added coconut oil to) or bacon (he fries in coconut oil).

I find it hard to get quality fish here, sometimes I happen to come across some low fat white fish from the atlantic, but sometimes it looks absolutely gross there are some other white fish from farms in asia but those are also quite dodgy in my opinion, so I rather not gamble. I can get New Zealand grass fed lamb at a reasonable price. Most local "beef" is from old milk cows that got sick and therefore butchered for their meat -.-
Bacon has a strange aftertaste to it, and generally I don't feel quite good after so I avoid it. Thanks for the reply Matt! Btw I am also Matt haha

tara said:
post 105134
That sounds a little low but not extreme, depending on when they were taken etc.

Good that you got sun in summer.
Some people here have found that supplementing red light (orange through near-infrared) makes a big difference. There are extensive threads on this. Peat has recommended strong incandescents.

Glad you've come up from the high danger zone. At 115 pounds, I imagine that PUFA would be amongst the lesser problems.

I'd say, given your energy deficiency history, that if you like eating salty rice and meat and cheese and it makes you feel warm and good, it might be great as part of a wider diet. Peat tends to favour beef and lamb because ruminants (or at least the creatures in their rumens) can convert a lot of the PUFA they eat to SAF. Good to also get some foods with more of the other minerals too, eg weekly liver, oyster if available, green vege broths can be good for minerals, and lots of fruit/juice. Some of us here use cronometer from similar from time to time to check on the nutrients in a typical days diet. You can balance muscle meats with gelatine if you want more favourable amino acid balance. Some people find collagen hydrolysate easier to digest, and if they are both difficult, some supplement glycine. You might have a bit of growing to catch up.
I've not read that Peat eats meat twice a day, but maybe I missed it? Or maybe that was counting all the variants of beef, fish, shellfish, and including gelatinous broths etc?

Here's a thread with some thoughts on recovering from undereating, inspired by youreatopia. https://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/view ... oureatopia

Peat says seaweed is indiscriminate about what it absorbs, so it can carry some unwanted things as well as desirable minerals. He says that excess iodine can be as much of a problem as too little. My guess is if you can get your minerals covered with other foods it may be better, but if you can't then seaweed may be better than nothing. And seaweed from clean oceans is better than from polluted ones. I've had times of eating it fairly regularly in the past in soups etc, but now it's just occasional (sushi:)). Peat favours getting more calcium than phosphorus (ideally probably 1.5:1).

The chronic infections must be a serious pain. I think there is a good chance that if you can get your metabolism up, your system will be better able to fight them. No guarantees of a quick and complete fix, though, so you probably still have to handle them somehow in the meantime. Peat is not averse to antibiotics in general, but he does favour some as safer than others. They can sometimes have the positive side-effect of reducing gut bacteria, and therefore endotoxin load on the system.

If you are taking aspirin regularly, and esp. if you also take antibiotics, it may be wise to supplement vit K2, though you should get some from aged cheese, if that's what you are eating.

I will look into the light therapys, I think I heared in Ray interviews him mentioning light but never quite looked into it, I will check it out.

I got the idea of him eating meat twice from the Ray Peat Diet, Food Choices, and general guidelines topic here: "and the occasional (rotating) eggs, shellfish, fish, and beef, bison, or lamb, in one or two of his meals." Although it is actually one or two of his meals, I guess I can eat either oxtail or some muscle meat with broth for 1 or 2 meal a day also then for the extra protein and calories.

I got diarrhea from eating seaweed and mussels the last time I did, so I will avoid both for now, I think I cannot get oysters here though not even canned so I will have to check for some other seafood that I can tolerate.

Yeah chronic infections are definitely one of the most annoying diseases there are, specially because I look very healthy and no one believes me when I say I have it unfortunately, hardly anyone knows they exists... until they get one themselves. I have had antibiotics before but it only had temporary benefits, I am not sure though if its a bacterial infection or other viral/fungal, and in that case don't want to use antibiotics because I am feeling like improving on diet alone.

Yeah I was thinking of supplementing K2 before, along with vit D wanted to order the Thorne research K2 and D3 but they don't ship here :( I guess I am okay from liver, eggyolks and cheeses etc for now.

I will check out that undereating thread, thank you so much tara for all this useful information! :)

OP
M

Milkmeateggs

Update:

Because they were on sale and very cheap I got 4 grassfed steaks from argentina few days ago, had it with some roast potatoes. First I ate the 200 g steak with potatoes for dinner with some bone broth then I went to the cinema with my girlfriend. After a few hours I felt incredibly depressed and just generally really bad. I was wondering if it might be the too much tryptophan in the beef along with the potatoes that increased serotonin so much. I might also be just simply allergic to beef.

The next day I had the beef (100 g only this time) with potatoes for lunch and dinner, as well as continuing my quark and fruit meals and eggs in the morning. I didn't feel so depressed and bad for months, I had constant negative thoughts about the world and about pretty much everything, I stayed up late playing computer games, ate some apple cake or whatever which my mother made (strictly avoided grains for months before.)

I figured meat specially beef is really not something I will be eating for now.

Also I think my liver is still not functioning well as I have some problems with too much fructose from fruit, have some mild liver pains, as well as joints in elbows start to hurt. Probably it is constantly poisoned by endotoxin, as I also have a few dental cavities from my raw vegan days.

Not sure what to eat now, I definitely need to be eating a lot of calories but where do I get it from? Meat is definitely not optimal, so I am left with quark and milk, cheese. Anything high in tryptophan is definitely not helping but then where to get protein? I don't have gelatin other then from the broth which I won't eat now for a week or so because I am off to London.

As for carbohydrates fruits and juices are very risky, fruits because I cannot find good ripe ones, and both fruits and fruit juices make me cold from the too much liquid. Also because not doing too well with fructose starches seem the only choice, but I cannot be sure if even well cooked ones aren't responsible for endotoxin production. Probably I will stick to well boiled potatoes for now, or white rice.

I should probably keep fats to minimum, but it is really hard to get in enough calories then, to increase bodytemperature I will only drink milk from now on when I am thirsty, but making sure not to drink more then 1-1,5 quart a day, and other foods I try to keep fat free, like quark and potatoes or smth and eat a lot of them.

Is there any good way to reduce serotonin and therefore endotoxin other then the carrot salad? When I was low carb, eating a very high fat no carb breakfast like 2-3 eggs fried in butter with added cheddar cheese and coffee and cream made me feel quite calm and good. Not sure if eating no fiber for a few days would be a good way to lower my endotoxin levels.

Dean

Sorry don't have any helpful advice for you. All I can say is that I empathize big time. I've been "peating" off and on for 3+ yrs or so and trying to figure out what to eat is a constant battle and source of stress.

That's strange the meat didn't work for you, since you also mention doing well with animal protein/no carb before. I just reintroduced meat myself. It seems to agree with me better than anything. A summer I spent eating "zero" carb several years back is about the best I've ever felt/looked. To be honest, I am more and more tempted these days to go back to that and just take some eggshell powder to prevent turning in to a walking fossil.

Anyway, good luck on figuring it out.

Ulla

Milkmeateggs said:
post 106365 Update:

Not sure what to eat now, I definitely need to be eating a lot of calories but where do I get it from? Meat is definitely not optimal, so I am left with quark and milk, cheese. Anything high in tryptophan is definitely not helping but then where to get protein? I don't have gelatin other then from the broth which I won't eat now for a week or so because I am off to London.

Ice cream for time to time?

Milkmeateggs said:
post 106365 As for carbohydrates fruits and juices are very risky, fruits because I cannot find good ripe ones, and both fruits and fruit juices make me cold from the too much liquid. Also because not doing too well with fructose starches seem the only choice, but I cannot be sure if even well cooked ones aren't responsible for endotoxin production. Probably I will stick to well boiled potatoes for now, or white rice.

what about honey? good source if possible?

OP
M

Milkmeateggs

Dean said:
post 106367 Sorry don't have any helpful advice for you. All I can say is that I empathize big time. I've been "peating" off and on for 3+ yrs or so and trying to figure out what to eat is a constant battle and source of stress.

That's strange the meat didn't work for you, since you also mention doing well with animal protein/no carb before. I just reintroduced meat myself. It seems to agree with me better than anything. A summer I spent eating "zero" carb several years back is about the best I've ever felt/looked. To be honest, I am more and more tempted these days to go back to that and just take some eggshell powder to prevent turning in to a walking fossil.

Anyway, good luck on figuring it out.

Thank you :)

naninani said:
post 106372
Milkmeateggs said:
post 106365 Update:

Ice cream for time to time?

Milkmeateggs said:
post 106365 As for carbohydrates fruits and juices are very risky, fruits because I cannot find good ripe ones, and both fruits and fruit juices make me cold from the too much liquid. Also because not doing too well with fructose starches seem the only choice, but I cannot be sure if even well cooked ones aren't responsible for endotoxin production. Probably I will stick to well boiled potatoes for now, or white rice.

what about honey? good source if possible?

I did eat ice cream before but its just too expensive to buy good quality, and making it is pain since fresh cream is not available mostly. It is also again too much fat I think, I suppose I should reduce fat intake.

Honey I do use from time to time into milk or just on fruit my problem with it is that it is acidic and hurt my teeth, so I think it is better if I avoid it. Either honey or refined sugar I am not very confident in eating in large amounts as I think I would be missing important nutrients.
And I feel as too much fructose seem to be hurting my liver as well as joints, I think I am better of cutting back on it until my liver is working better.

Thanks for the suggestions though, with meat the problem may have been the too much protein at one sitting, and I can try to spread it out threw out the day. My pulse has been over 70 for a couple days now, cutting back on liquid definitely helps.

Also in my tonsils there is this stuff that is probably calcified pus (sorry yuck) once about a year ago a lot came out, I thought I am healed but it didn't go away. I guess my circadian rhythm might be out of whack too, as I spend way too much time infront of a computer, have to make an effort to go on long walks in daytime I guess.

Parsifal

Any time I eat starch (even potato with coconut oil) I guet a "flu" and other bad symptoms :(.

tara

Milkmeateggs said:
post 106365 First I ate the 200 g steak with potatoes for dinner with some bone broth then I went to the cinema with my girlfriend. After a few hours I felt incredibly depressed and just generally really bad.
Try following it up with jelly, or gelatin and milk pudding or similar for dessert - gelatine to help balance the tryptophan etc, sugar to help with processing the starch/glucose. Get some powdered gelatine and/or collagen hydrolysate (this one is easy to add to drinks).

A few hours after a meal like that I'd be depressed too - from hunger - if I hadn't had more to eat in between. High starch can sometimes be followed by lower blood glucose. Consider eating smaller more frequent meals.

Milkmeateggs said:
post 106365 I also have a few dental cavities from my raw vegan days
If you have active decay, I'd suggest attending to this - chronic infections can be a burden on the whole system. Dentist. Maybe that's
contributing to your other chronic infections.

Milkmeateggs said:
post 106365 As for carbohydrates fruits and juices are very risky, fruits because I cannot find good ripe ones, and both fruits and fruit juices make me cold from the too much liquid.
Frozen fruit, stewed with extra sugar. Or tinned fruit.

Milkmeateggs said:
post 106365 Also because not doing too well with fructose starches seem the only choice, but I cannot be sure if even well cooked ones aren't responsible for endotoxin production.
You can be pretty sure they will feed endotoxin-producing bacteria. How much of a problem that is depends on the state of your gut barrier, and transit time, etc. But there are worse things than feeding the bugs. For instance, starving yourself.
You don't have to eat all sugar or all starch - some of each may work better for you.

Milkmeateggs said:
post 106365 Probably I will stick to well boiled potatoes for now, or white rice.
Lots of people (but not all) do fine with rice and potatoes. Potatoes are more nutritious.

Milkmeateggs said:
post 106365 Is there any good way to reduce serotonin and therefore endotoxin other then the carrot salad? When I was low carb, eating a very high fat no carb breakfast like 2-3 eggs fried in butter with added cheddar cheese and coffee and cream made me feel quite calm and good. Not sure if eating no fiber for a few days would be a good way to lower my endotoxin levels.

If the carrot salad agrees with you, you can do it two or three times a day, between meals. Some people say they do better with little or no fibre other than the carrot salad. Whether or not it lowers your systemic endotoxin levels can vary from person - if avoiding fibre gives you constipation, it'll be a net downer. If not, see how you feel.

Milkmeateggs said:
post 106365 I should probably keep fats to minimum, but it is really hard to get in enough calories then, to increase bodytemperature I will only drink milk from now on when I am thirsty, but making sure not to drink more then 1-1,5 quart a day, and other foods I try to keep fat free, like quark and potatoes or smth and eat a lot of them.

I don't think you are likely to benefit from severe fat restriction unless you are able to ensure you get enough food from other sources. Doesn't look like you are there yet. What does your appetite say?
You can judge whether you are drinking too much or not enough by thirst, and by frequency and colour of pee.

When someone has been under eating for a while, the digestive system can be both depleted and therefore less efficient than a healthy one, and also have deliberately slowed itself down to get more out of the scarce food. This is a pro-survival adaptation to endure famine. For most people, especially young ones like you, it gets moving again after you've been eating enough for a while.

Milkmeateggs said:
post 106365 Not sure what to eat now, I definitely need to be eating a lot of calories but where do I get it from?
Cheese cake.
Stewed fruit with extra sugar.
Honey.
Condensed milk?
Rice pudding with milk, sugar, raisins, vanilla or ceylon cinnamon if you like it.
In an emergency, chocolate can be bought almost anywhere. There is advice here about avoiding soy lecithin which is in most chocolate, and some people here say they really notice bad things if they eat it, but in your situation I suspect that hunger/energy deficiency is probably harder on you. Eating is more important than eating perfectly. (I'd still do my best to keep PUFA minimal, though).
Don't try to subsist on just 2 or 3 foods - eating more of a variety may avoid overdosing on particular things.

Milkmeateggs said:
post 106365 Not sure what to eat now, I definitely need to be eating a lot of calories but where do I get it from? Meat is definitely not optimal, so I am left with quark and milk, cheese. Anything high in tryptophan is definitely not helping but then where to get protein? I don't have gelatin other then from the broth which I won't eat now for a week or so because I am off to London.
Collagen hydrolysate carries well and can be added to drinks, to go with any high tryptophan meals.
Even if you don't think 200g steak served you well, you might be fine with half that at one of 6 meals in the day.
White fish, eggs, shellfish, liver, ...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals