Dieting On Budget, Which To Choose: Starch Or Cheap Juices

Hgreen56

How more i learn about this "peat diet" how more i realize how expensive this diet is.
especially if you carb source is from whole fruit and need 400 gr carbohydrates a day.

a diet on high starch, medium protein and lowish fat cost around 5 euro a day
a diet on high fruit juices from whole fruit, medium protein and lowish fat cost around 12 a 15 euro a day
you see that the costs have more than doubled.

But a diet with the cheapest fruit juice from carton packaging cost around 7 a 8 euro a day.

Of course i have experimenting with both carbs sources.
White rice is the only one that is good to go for long term but notice more benefits/better feelings from juice.
but i dont now how healthy this cheap juices are, what has been added etc

oh btw, i cant drink dairy so thats not a option.

Elie

Forum Supporter
juice requires half the amount of insulin that starch requires.
Insulin is a storage protein.
excess weight is associated with insulin resistance, so limiting insulin output will likely help.
I have been having fruit, juices, sugar, cottage cheese, milk, other lean protein and eggs predominately and have dropped about 4 lb. in 3 weeks or so. Hopefully this will continue.
Also have been jogging for 30 min a day and walking for another 30 or so.

famalalam

I'd look into fixing whatever issue it is that you have with dairy before addressing anything else.

tara

If I were you I'd choose a balance of roots, fruits, juices and grains according to your personal responses to the foods. That is what is satisfying and sustaining and tasty for you, and take into account any personal intolerances.
Unless you react badly to them for some reason, consider trying a combination - eg spuds, rice, ripe seasonal or stewed fruit, juice. And adjust ratios as you see how it goes.
Personally, I'd include both starchy and sweet foods, but more of the former.

YourUniverse

I'm always trying to eat the healthiest for the least money.

I love this "recipe": 1 OJ concentrate, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 bag of milk (which is about 1333ml of milk).

The OJ concentrate is likely pretty poor quality, usually much higher in citric acid than good sweet OJs, but also much cheaper.

I think adding baking soda to the OJ significantly reduces the citric acid (I believe it makes citrate? My biochemistry is pretty incomplete to put it mildly).

I'll usually make this in a jug in the morning as coffee is boiling. I'll add the thawed OJ to a jug with the baking soda, and I'll swish it around to help catalyze the citrate reactions. This causes some fizzing and usually needs at least a few minutes to settle. Afterwards I add the milk (and I personally add some thiamine, which is therapeutic for my specific needs). I can drink a few of these during the day.

(Prices in Canadian $)
404ml OJ concentrate is $1.50
1333ml skim milk is ~$1.50
5g baking soda is a penny?

~800 mineral-, sugar-, protein- rich calories for $3.01.

Last edited:

opson123

I love this "recipe": 1 OJ concentrate, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 bag of milk (which is about 1333ml of milk).

The OJ concentrate is likely pretty poor quality, usually much higher in citric acid than good sweet OJs, but also much cheaper.

I think adding baking soda to the OJ significantly reduces the citric acid (I believe it makes citrate? My biochemistry is pretty incomplete to put it mildly).

I'll usually make this in a jug in the morning as coffee is boiling. I'll add the thawed OJ to a jug with the baking soda, and I'll swish it around to help catalyze the citrate reactions. This causes some fizzing and usually needs at least a few minutes to settle. Afterwards I add the milk (and I personally add some thiamine, which is therapeutic for my specific needs). I can drink a few of these during the day.

(Prices in Canadian $)

Are those the total amounts you end up with at the end of the day or a few times that?

Could someone chime in who knows more about the milk alkali syndrome? How much baking soda in milk is needed for it to cause issues? I remember in that Turk's Bowel thread it being mentioned that Kellogg advised people to add baking soda to milk to reduce stomach acid which according to him helps with milk digestion as too much acid makes the milk curdles hard which are hard to pass or something along those lines.

ursidae

(Prices in Canadian $)

OP doesn't do dairy

boris

How do you fix that?
Losing the enzymes to digest milk is often a result of hypothyroidism and the subsequent bacterial overgrowth in the digestive tract.

Thyroid, antibiotics and slowly reintroducing milk can fix that.

A study with lactose intolerant people made people lactose tolerant again after a few weeks just by drinking half a glass of milk with foods daily. That slowly built up the needed digestive enzymes again.

Danny Roddy fixed it with a course of Penicillin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals