Tryptophan / PUFA Depletion Diet?

Cirion

I've been trying to figure out how to work out a diet that doubles as a tryptophan / pufa depletion diet (while also having moderate fat intake), to see how it works out for me. Unfortunately, it seems exceptionally difficult to do both of these - while also getting in the required nutrients, without resorting to supplementation, and also limiting total fat intake (my body likes fat, so trying not to limit this too much either).

Dairy is basically out (because it is kinda high in tryptophan). RP looks upon dairy fondly because of its calcium / other nutrients, which is fair enough. However, I'm quite sensitive to tryptophan and serotonin, I think (no test to prove it, but foods higher in tryptophan tend to hit me pretty hard, and I check a lot of the high serotonin boxes for symptoms). On the other hand, most meats are also out...

As for PUFA, almost everything has PUFA, so that's also very challenging to minimize, especially if you're like me and want to keep a pretty respectable total fat intake in the diet (upwards of 50%).

Anyone tried a diet setup like this, and if so, what did it look like? For protein, this probably means a large amount of gelatin. I'm still looking for Tryptophan/Cystine/Methionione free protein powder, which I've not yet located (anyone know of any?). Then I can try Haidut's concoction he did one time (dunno if he still does) of Tryptophan free Whey protein, Tryptophan free Casein, and Gelatin, for his protein.

Not sure how to also get a high-ish fat intake while eating fat-free protein sources, short of pounding lots of hydrogenized coconut oil, which seems rather un-appealing to me, lol.

Currently I'm eating lots of beef, cheese, eggs, milk, primarily for protein - which gets me my fat, as well, but also lots of tryptophan and PUFA (especially from eggs, which makes me sad, because I love the nutrient profile of eggs aside from the PUFA)...

(I've seen a couple of forum members post a diet like this, but all of them were low to zero fat. I'm trying to do this while keeping respectable amounts of dietary fat in the diet.. maybe not 50% but at least 30%)

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

Cheese has significantly less tryptophan than liquid milk. Goat's Milk also has less Trytophan than cows milk.

Things to experiment with are swapping out goat for cow milk, eliminating liquid milk altogether, and reducing or eliminating eggs. Cheese should still be fine.

Hugh Johnson

Methionine is not an issue if you eat enough glycine. Tryptophan is not always an issue, you might check out what Nathan Hatch wrote about niacin therapy in his book, start with plenty of calcium and good thyroid function.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Yeah I wrote this awhile ago before I started reading what Nate had to say about niacin. I don't worry about tryptophan too much anymore these days. If I do have a situation where I might be having a lot of tryptophan I just make sure I have plenty of sugar.

tankasnowgod

Methionine is not an issue if you eat enough glycine. Tryptophan is not always an issue, you might check out what Nathan Hatch wrote about niacin therapy in his book, start with plenty of calcium and good thyroid function.

I find it amusing that Peat is talks about Amino Acid ratios, and when it comes to Glycine Methionine, and the Tryptofan ratios, milk is one of the worst. All the cuts of beef I've looked at (from ground beef to ribeye) are far superior on both.

Hugh Johnson

I find it amusing that Peat is talks about Amino Acid ratios, and when it comes to Glycine Methionine, and the Tryptofan ratios, milk is one of the worst. All the cuts of beef I've looked at (from ground beef to ribeye) are far superior on both.
Milk has other positives, and Peat recommend glycine from gelatin and milk has calcium that helps move tryp to the niacin pathway.

TeaRex14

As far as fats go you could eliminate everything but refined expeller pressed coconut oil. It's some good stuff, it also doesn't have that sweet, off putting, flavor that virgin coconut oil has. At only 3 grams of PUFA per 1 cup of oil it's highly unlikely you'd ever get enough to PUFA to cause any metabolic damage. Personally I've noticed I can't get fat on the stuff. I can eat upwards of 5 to 6 tbsps. on a high sugar diet and still not gain weight. If I did that with butter I would be blowing up bigger then a balloon, lol. Saturated fats, especially the shorter chained fats, don't get stored as body fat. Tryptophan is a whole other animal entirely. I'm not sure if it's even possible to deplete it nor if it would even be advisable to do so. I think too much tryptophan without enough gelatin seems to be the problem. You could replace most meats in your diet with things like oxtail, chicharrons, cheese, chicken feet soup (fat skimmed), etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals