Adjusting RP Diet for digestion problems

Tcrazyjam

Dear friends,
I am on ray peat since august now, but I have a lot of problems with my digestion. first i do think i have problems with fat digestion, for example when i eat hash in the evening.
but i feel so good if i eat lots of sugar with proteinpowder/gelatine and some fruits (but not too much), I have a lot of energy then (my metabolism).

last year i was trying a high carb/ low fat diet, and i felt good although i was eating high pufa and just only 30 grams fat a day. that is so strange...
I do a lot of things, but it does not help.
For example:
- avoid starch
- carrot salad
- taking thyroid from my local doctor

what can i do, if i eat meat or something with fat?
Is there any supplement which can help to digest fat? or should i avoid hash in the evening?
But if i do so, i am very deficient on vitamines/minerals, i think.

Thanks,
David from germany

NooMoahk

What is your hash made of? If it's potato and meat then I'm not surprised, I've read about many people who get indigestion with starch/meat combinations. What sort of digestion issue are you experiencing?

Dutchie

Ive just recently read that a herb called barberry should improve fatmetabolism.

lindsay

Tcrazyjam -
Can you further explain your digestive issues? I had my gallbladder removed years ago (I regret this now) and have lots of trouble digesting fats (although, mostly PUFA). I was reading this past week that coconut oil is better for people with fat sensitive digestion, as it doesn't require bile.
Anyhow, since I had my gallbladder removed a long time ago, I know a lot about fat digestion issues. If you explain your problems more in depth, it might be more useful to figure it out.

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

when I eat something with fat i have bloating, flatuence, and sometimes heartburn. But bloating is the worest symptom. Now i try to eat less then 80 grams fat a day, but it is pretty hard to accomplish it.

and i meant mincemeat or meat. Unfortunaly i had to eat it, because of the nutrients - but especially meat can do these symptoms.
Thank you very much

lindsay

Tcrazyjam said:
when I eat something with fat i have bloating, flatuence, and sometimes heartburn. But bloating is the worest symptom. Now i try to eat less then 80 grams fat a day, but it is pretty hard to accomplish it.

and i meant mincemeat or meat. Unfortunaly i had to eat it, because of the nutrients - but especially meat can do these symptoms.
Thank you very much

Why do you need to eat meat every day? Is it possible to cut your diet down to a simple diet for a few days and see if it helps? I would cut out the meat and try other protein sources (potato, milk, gelatin, etc.). I still have trouble eating some meats - especially lamb, but that's usually only when I am out at a restaurant. If meat is bothering you, it's probably the long chain triglycerides. they require more bile acids. I would lay off the meat for a bit and see if you can eat gelatin, milk, potato and try using coconut oil to see if that helps. not only is it anti-microbial, but it's a medium chain triglyceride, so it doesn't require bile for digestion.

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

Thanks lindsay,

I do supplement B1, B3 and B6, because you can be deficient on these vitamins easily if you cut meat. So i will try to other protein sources.

I also try to avoid starch (like potato) as long as possible, because i've read starch can be very harmful, if you have digestion issues.

I will also experiment with coconut oil, and palm oil (as it have some vitamine E).

On november i will go to a gastroenterologist.

lindsay

Tcrazyjam said:
Thanks lindsay,

I do supplement B1, B3 and B6, because you can be deficient on these vitamins easily if you cut meat. So i will try to other protein sources.

I also try to avoid starch (like potato) as long as possible, because i've read starch can be very harmful, if you have digestion issues.

I will also experiment with coconut oil, and palm oil (as it have some vitamine E).

On november i will go to a gastroenterologist.

Sure thing :) You don't need to cut meat out entirely, but once or twice a week should be good enough (or a weekly serving of liver). Gelatin is a good form of meat, also, and very anti-inflammatory. Eggs are also a good option (2 per day is okay).

Regarding potato, if you have a centrifugal juicer at home, you can "juice" the potato - RP says the liquid is a potato protein (without most of the starch) and it's very healthy and easy to digest. I keep meaning to make it, but I haven't wanted to eat potato lately.

If you had an issue with the gall-bladder, you would feel it. It's very very painful (on the right side).
Also, thyroid supplementation has really helped my digestion. Occasionally I'll have a bad day, but overall it's been a good improvement, even after just one month.

OP
T

Tcrazyjam

Yes, right now i am on thyroid medication. But unfortunaly only T4.

I will ask my doctor mid nov. if she can give me synthetic T3 also, because it can help for my high cholesterol also :) .

Regarding potato i do have only a normal juicer, but i can try to eat potato occasionaly and see what happens :)

What do you think about antibiotica? Should i give it a try?

lindsay

I would try other things before jumping on antibiotics. coconut oil and raw honey have anti-microbial properties, so you could try those to see if they help, as well as a carrot salad daily for a week. If that doesn't help, then maybe looking into antibiotics might be worthwhile.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals