Low Fat Diet To Loose Weight? (Female)

grenade

From my experience and most other individual in this community it seems like the opposite is true, but there is definitely some variability from person to person. Low fat intake has always been necessary to stave off bodyfat for me.

@sladerunner69 For a 220lb moderately active male sitting at 25% bodyfat, what would you recommend for a minimum caloric intake if one is limiting fats to, let’s say, 10% of the diet and sourced solely from coconut oil.

ilpmusic

Beef gelatin really fills you up. Add it to soups, sauces, coffee, desserts, custard, anything you can think of. But use the gelatin form not the collagen. The gelatin was very popular in the 50s and use as a weight loss supplement because it fills up your stomach.
Right now I'm going to switch for one month using Ray Peat food guidelines but lowering the fat and calories. When using the Nutrisystem old fashion the flavor set point WeightLoss cookbook along with the skinny taste cookbooks, I'm adjusting the recipes if they are requiring vegetable oil or estrogen promoting foods and cutting out any nuts or avocados. Also working out 6 to 7 days a week but I am swimming or doing weights or calisthenics or combination of all three. why? I have been on this "diet" for six months which cured my sleep issue. The weight I gained wasn't from eating Ray Peat guidelines that rather my sleep medication caused it prior to me switching over to this way of eating. After researching all these months on this form plus other websites, the conclusion that I came up with was there too many people who are gaining weight. Everybody's different. For some people increasing their calories has helped him speed up the metabolism but what about the rest of us? In my profession, image is sadly important.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

@sladerunner69 For a 220lb moderately active male sitting at 25% bodyfat, what would you recommend for a minimum caloric intake if one is limiting fats to, let’s say, 10% of the diet and sourced solely from coconut oil.

It's impossible to say with precision, depending on your metabolic rate and activity level I could say anywhere from 2500-4000 and be right. For that reason I recommend eating based on appettite/hunger. There is an acute sensation of hunger when you run out of glycogen and need to refeed. I try to eat only when my tummy says it's time to eat more, and when your diet is mainly low fat milk and fresh squeezed OJ, the metabolism will ramp up and I need to drink either a glass of O.J. or a glass of Milk every hour or so. I bring large thermos filled with O.J. and skim Milk to school, as well as dried fruit or an apple. I also typically drink a few coffees, though lately I have been cutting back on the caffiene because I dont really seem to need it and it makes me too stimulated easily. I have found eating a very low fat, zero PUFA, low starch diet really charges the metabolism up and burns fat at a pretty steady rate. It's not as fast weight loss as fasting but theoretically it is much healthier. I typically lose 1-2 lbs a week, but when I quit taking aspirin and niacinimide I have actually been losing 3-4 lbs at least for the last week. I am actually excited to try and keep this up and see where I am by the new year.

grenade

It's impossible to say with precision, depending on your metabolic rate and activity level I could say anywhere from 2500-4000 and be right. For that reason I recommend eating based on appettite/hunger. There is an acute sensation of hunger when you run out of glycogen and need to refeed. I try to eat only when my tummy says it's time to eat more, and when your diet is mainly low fat milk and fresh squeezed OJ, the metabolism will ramp up and I need to drink either a glass of O.J. or a glass of Milk every hour or so. I bring large thermos filled with O.J. and skim Milk to school, as well as dried fruit or an apple. I also typically drink a few coffees, though lately I have been cutting back on the caffiene because I dont really seem to need it and it makes me too stimulated easily. I have found eating a very low fat, zero PUFA, low starch diet really charges the metabolism up and burns fat at a pretty steady rate. It's not as fast weight loss as fasting but theoretically it is much healthier. I typically lose 1-2 lbs a week, but when I quit taking aspirin and niacinimide I have actually been losing 3-4 lbs at least for the last week. I am actually excited to try and keep this up and see where I am by the new year.

That’s awesome! Thanks for the i put.

I have experienced what you are currently experiencing now. I did a fat free stint and lost a pound a week for a few weeks but struggled because fat free led to huge amounts of gas. Do you deal with that at all currently?

Also, how do you get your fat soluble vitamins?

sladerunner69

That’s awesome! Thanks for the i put.

I have experienced what you are currently experiencing now. I did a fat free stint and lost a pound a week for a few weeks but struggled because fat free led to huge amounts of gas. Do you deal with that at all currently?

Also, how do you get your fat soluble vitamins?

Actually I was dealing with bad gas a lot last weekend. But it didn't seem to have anything to do with low fat. I spent the weekend at a lodge with the christian group at my university. Almost none of the food there was good for Peating. I brought a lot of dried fruit, like apricots and prunes. I ate a ton of those and it gave me very watery runny poos. At least there was free coffee, with sugar, but no cream. So all that coffee probably added to my issue. I wasn't low fat though, because the only quality source of calories I could get in the cafeteria was milk, but they only had whole milk. So I would have a couple glasses of whole milk at each meal and go the rest of the day with dried fruit.

grenade

Actually I was dealing with bad gas a lot last weekend. But it didn't seem to have anything to do with low fat. I spent the weekend at a lodge with the christian group at my university. Almost none of the food there was good for Peating. I brought a lot of dried fruit, like apricots and prunes. I ate a ton of those and it gave me very watery runny poos. At least there was free coffee, with sugar, but no cream. So all that coffee probably added to my issue. I wasn't low fat though, because the only quality source of calories I could get in the cafeteria was milk, but they only had whole milk. So I would have a couple glasses of whole milk at each meal and go the rest of the day with dried fruit.

Hmm, maybe it was all the fiber from the dried fruit too? I noticed that my gas would always be worse with tons of fruit /fiber, whereas I was better with well cooked starches, fruit juices, and pure sugar. Fat totally annihilates gas for me though, but still I need to experiment with a few things anyway because the fat loss I experienced before was magical. **** trying to cut calories and lose weight conventionally.

grenade

Two more questions @sladerunner69 (and sorry if it has been andwered already)...

1. How many grams of fat do you have daily?
2. How much aspirin and niacinamide?

ilpmusic

Yes I recommend low fat if you are trying to lose weight, and at 95kg I think it's definitely a smart idea. As a bodybuilder who loves the obsession and challenge of dieting (and bodybuilding is 80-90% dieting btw), here is my advice:

-Use a food tracker like livestrong.com/cron-o-meter, especially if you are new to this or haven't had much success before.
-keep fat calories under 15% total calories for good results, or under 10% for dramatic results..... or as close to 0% calories as you can (this can be tough)
-Keep your metabolism as high as you can. Get your pulse up to 80-90 beats per minute. How? Food and supplements...
-Food: consume plenty of sugar. Eat fruits, drink nonfat or 1% milk, and fresh squeezed orange juice. Never go hungry, because that is a signal that the stress hormones are becoming prevalent and this will actually cause your body to STORE fat because it is going into red alert starvation mode. There are plenty of examples of people tryign to lose weight by starving and it is NOT smart. You will damage your metabolism, and multiple body systems by going the starvation route and a full recovery will be difficult. The trick is to lower calories a bit and to switch the foods to pro-metabolic foods. Eat manly sugar and protein. liver, oysters, eggs, lean meats, shellfish, eggs, are all good to have about once a day. If you wan tto add some starch like potatoes, rice, taro, tapioca, yams, that is fine in my book but I would try to focus mainly on sugar. I also like lowfat yoplait yogurts, rice puddings and horchata but be sure to watch the fat intake and not let it get above 15% your daily total, and have your total calories be about 2500.
-There are plenty of supplements that will boost your metabolism and help you burn fat. The most effective ones in my opinion are going to be niacinimide, which is well respected in bodybuilding circles for this purpose, aspirin which you can read all about on here, and taurine. I would take all three of these. Start slow on aspirin as it will take a while for your gut to adjust to it, and don't take more than 1gram a day dissolved in warm water UNLESS you are taking vitamin k2 because this can cause stomach bleeding for some people. I have made that mistake myself and it caused extreme stomach discomfort and diahrrea for a few days. You can also try taking all the fat soluble vitamins like A and D etc because those will likely provide some benefit if you are not getting adequate supply from foods.
-Do you sit under an incandescent bulb? I use a 500w pool bulb or some 200wheatlamps and sit at them while I am in my room on the computer. It can be kind of a hassle at first but try doing it for 10 minutes three times a day and I can absolutely guarantee you will see and feel a significant difference. I now sit inf ront of my heatlamp in my tighty whiteys at every opprotunity I can. Consider this no-effort fat loss, that has plent yof other health benefits. It will also help you feel calm and energized, it's really great.
- If you want to excercise I recommend 30 minutes of weight training, with HEAVY weights like squats, presses, power cleans, or whatever machines you want really, as long as you are using heavy weight and pushing hard for 5-10 reps and going to COMPLETE failuire of your muscle. Doing 50 reps of curls with tiny weight like I see so many women do is like doing practically nothing. Lifting properly will not make women bulky, it will not happen unless you are on steroids because it is testosterone that gives you huge muscles not the act of lifting. Having more muscle means you can eat more calories and not get fat!

Hope this large amount of information I just hurled at you can help! Feel free too shoot some questions at me if you want...
I did cron-o0meter yesterday. I had only 1158 calories yet the fat percentage was 35%!!!! the things that had fat:I had 2 lite cheese sticks 2.5 fat grams each, 2 tablespoons of lite cheddar cheese,1 tablespoon of enjoy like dark vegan chocolate chips, 1 cup chicken broth, 1/2 of pad of butter ( less than 1/2 a teaspoon, 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil, and 1 cup and 1 tablespoon of 1% milk and one grilled chicken tender. the rest was lost of fruit , raw carrot salad, vegetable soup, 2 cups of salad ( no dressing)5 or 6 tablespoons of gelatin and a small slice of sourdough bread b/c I was so hungry before going to bed. where did I go wrong? Should I just use fat free milk and no coconut oil?

ilpmusic

of course that would happen if you are only eating dried apricots, dried prunes and milk. That is the worst combination for diarrhea plus black coffee. Perhaps use the 80% 20% rule : eat Ray Peat style at home, but if you have no other option when you are traveling or at a conference , eat whatever is in front of you. If you are doing work overseas like missionary work. You have to fuel up your body and what if that country doesn't have Ray Peat style of food served to you?

sladerunner69

I did cron-o0meter yesterday. I had only 1158 calories yet the fat percentage was 35%!!!! the things that had fat:I had 2 lite cheese sticks 2.5 fat grams each, 2 tablespoons of lite cheddar cheese,1 tablespoon of enjoy like dark vegan chocolate chips, 1 cup chicken broth, 1/2 of pad of butter ( less than 1/2 a teaspoon, 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil, and 1 cup and 1 tablespoon of 1% milk and one grilled chicken tender. the rest was lost of fruit , raw carrot salad, vegetable soup, 2 cups of salad ( no dressing)5 or 6 tablespoons of gelatin and a small slice of sourdough bread b/c I was so hungry before going to bed. where did I go wrong? Should I just use fat free milk and no coconut oil?

Well how much fat is in the vegan chocolate? Also cheese can have a lot of fat in it, sometimes as much as butter. Though lite cheese should be fine, as long as you don't go overboard. Also how much do you weigh? That doesnt seem like enoigh calories unless you were about 5 feet tall and weighed one hundred pounds. I think on the peat diet the average guy should get about 2500 calories and the average sized lady about 2000 and those number would only go up the more you improved metabolism...

ilpmusic

Well how much fat is in the vegan chocolate? Also cheese can have a lot of fat in it, sometimes as much as butter. Though lite cheese should be fine, as long as you don't go overboard. Also how much do you weigh? That doesnt seem like enoigh calories unless you were about 5 feet tall and weighed one hundred pounds. I think on the peat diet the average guy should get about 2500 calories and the average sized lady about 2000 and those number would only go up the more you improved metabolism...
The cheese was 2.5 g each ****, the shredded cheese was 4.5 g of fat for quarter cup I only had one tablespoon, the other one was 3 g of fat for quarter cup I only had a tablespoon. The vegan chocolate is 6 g of fat for tablespoon. The chicken was very low fat chicken breast no skin no fat. I weigh 150 pounds and I am 5 feet and 6 inches. I guess the vegan chocolate has way too much fat. I could should stick with other chocolate that has less grams of fat. The butter was less than half a teaspoon and butter is 11 g of fat per tablespoon

sladerunner69

The cheese was 2.5 g each ****, the shredded cheese was 4.5 g of fat for quarter cup I only had one tablespoon, the other one was 3 g of fat for quarter cup I only had a tablespoon. The vegan chocolate is 6 g of fat for tablespoon. The chicken was very low fat chicken breast no skin no fat. I weigh 150 pounds and I am 5 feet and 6 inches. I guess the vegan chocolate has way too much fat. I could should stick with other chocolate that has less grams of fat. The butter was less than half a teaspoon and butter is 11 g of fat per tablespoon

Also if the chocolate is vegan, what kind of fat is in it? If it's not coconut oil then it probably has some PUFA which will overall slow down the metabolism. I had some chinese food yesterday with the fam, and I only had rice and mongolian beef, and a few chow mein noodles, and I feel cold, tired, and less enthusiastic/bright as I normally do. I even took vitamin E before hand. I easily forget how much a high metabolism does for me...

ilpmusic

Also if the chocolate is vegan, what kind of fat is in it? If it's not coconut oil then it probably has some PUFA which will overall slow down the metabolism. I had some chinese food yesterday with the fam, and I only had rice and mongolian beef, and a few chow mein noodles, and I feel cold, tired, and less enthusiastic/bright as I normally do. I even took vitamin E before hand. I easily forget how much a high metabolism does for me...
It only has two ingredients for the vegan chocolate: chocolate, sugar .

tara

Also if the chocolate is vegan, what kind of fat is in it? If it's not coconut oil then it probably has some PUFA which will overall slow down the metabolism.
Presumably cocoa fat (cocoa butter). AIUI, that's what chocolate is usually made with, as part of the cocoa mass. Fairly low PUFA. Undiluted, it's a very hard fat at room temp.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals