feeling much better on a very low calorie diet

RPDiciple

i have no idea why people on RP land are so scared of "metabolism" slowing down. Peat has said in tons of interviews if you want to loose fat eat LESS. 2 liters of skimmed milk and 1 liter of OJ is a very good base to keep, then you can add some protein foods on top of that. Then you have everything covered to not do any harm to your metabolism. Also these people that are afraid of metabolism slowing down, they pound the food and eat a ton of food ain gain fat like crazy. So whats the result of that? you clearly have not raised your metabolism if you gain fat from eating more. That should not happen if you managed to raise it. So chill out and read more of ray peats stuff and understand the basic calories in and out model so that you have something to go by. Start to eat RP foods at the calorie level you need to maintain weight, then eat a little less if you want to loose fat. IF you start to loose fat when you eat at maintenance calories from RP foods thats great, which means the foods are increasing your metabolic rate.

OP
P

pro marker

My understanding of that is quite poor. I know that you really don't want bacteria like E. Coli, C. Diff, etc. populating your gut, which is the main reason why having a completely sterile colon doesn't work in real life( although it may be its ideal state, as Ray has mentioned in some interviews that babies are born with sterile colons). Lactobacillus and bifidobacteria are much less harmful than those bacteria I mentioned above, since they will prevent bad/ worse bacteria from taking hold of your colon, which could be life threatening. But even these "safe" probiotics aren't really safe when it comes to SIBO. I think the goal is to replace the intestinal flora with safer types, while also reducing the total amount of bacteria in the colon. This may be why lots of people try out probiotics with some type of Lactobacillus and end up with more bloating, more brain fog, worse digestion and so on.

Just remembered something very important which Amazoniac has mentioned multiple times on the forum: gut motility is key for avoiding excessive bacterial growth in the colon. If the food remnants are stagnating in the colon, not only will the bacteria produce more compounds( stuff like skatol, which is toxic), but they will multiply due to the presence of more food. And SIBO tends to cause constipation, so it's vicious cycle which the person needs to break somehow. Avoiding constipation, as I see it, is an essential aspect of avoiding or treating SIBO.

I know people who got bad side effects from antibiotics too, but it wasn't from the first generation ones( penicillin, amoxicillin, doxycicline, etc.). That's not to say it's impossible to get side- effects from these safer ones, but they are more related with fungal overgrowth after a cycle. Do you know if the antibiotics they used were the first generation ones or the second/ third generation ones?

Papaya is indeed great for digestion. As ursidae has said, pineapple and kiwis also should help, as do figs. I believe they aid digestion not through increased digestive juice production, but because they themselves have digestive enzymes. As for increasing digestive power, bitters are known for stimulating bile release, which aids fat digestion. The brand Doctor's best sells a product with bertaine hcl, pepsin and gentian bitters and I've seen people on the forum report benefits from enzymes and hcl. I myself haven't tried that product I mentioned, but I did try just pepsin with hcl( from a national brand here in Brazil) and it does help with digestion, but it gave me some low level depression for some reason.

well im going to the toilet every other day now since im eating so little. does that mean its not sibo?

Well betaine is a methyl donor, which is the reason haidut seems to not recommend using it. I wouldn't use it long term either, but it is very helpful for getting out of temporary states of indigestion. Hans spoke on RPF comments of his latest "Furnace within" article about balancing methyl groups while using niacin, could be something to consider if plain betaine or niacin gives unwanted side effects.
So maybe it was too much methyl groups that made me depressed, considering I wasn't using niacinamide at the time, which is known for soaking up the methyl pool. Thanks.
well im going to the toilet every other day now since im eating so little. does that mean its not sibo?
Going only once every other day means the intestine isn't very vigorous. Having at least one bowel movement a day is necessary to eliminate endotoxins. So it still might be SIBO, I believe.

This thread has some interesting info on bowel health: "When A Turk's Bowels Move Less Than Three Times A Day, He Consults A Physician."

Last edited:

Tansia

My understanding of that is quite poor. I know that you really don't want bacteria like E. Coli, C. Diff, etc. populating your gut, which is the main reason why having a completely sterile colon doesn't work in real life( although it may be its ideal state, as Ray has mentioned in some interviews that babies are born with sterile colons). Lactobacillus and bifidobacteria are much less harmful than those bacteria I mentioned above, since they will prevent bad/ worse bacteria from taking hold of your colon, which could be life threatening. But even these "safe" probiotics aren't really safe when it comes to SIBO. I think the goal is to replace the intestinal flora with safer types, while also reducing the total amount of bacteria in the colon. This may be why lots of people try out probiotics with some type of Lactobacillus and end up with more bloating, more brain fog, worse digestion and so on.

Just remembered something very important which Amazoniac has mentioned multiple times on the forum: gut motility is key for avoiding excessive bacterial growth in the colon. If the food remnants are stagnating in the colon, not only will the bacteria produce more compounds( stuff like skatol, which is toxic), but they will multiply due to the presence of more food. And SIBO tends to cause constipation, so it's vicious cycle which the person needs to break somehow. Avoiding constipation, as I see it, is an essential aspect of avoiding or treating SIBO.

I know people who got bad side effects from antibiotics too, but it wasn't from the first generation ones( penicillin, amoxicillin, doxycicline, etc.). That's not to say it's impossible to get side- effects from these safer ones, but they are more related with fungal overgrowth after a cycle. Do you know if the antibiotics they used were the first generation ones or the second/ third generation ones?

Papaya is indeed great for digestion. As ursidae has said, pineapple and kiwis also should help, as do figs. I believe they aid digestion not through increased digestive juice production, but because they themselves have digestive enzymes. As for increasing digestive power, bitters are known for stimulating bile release, which aids fat digestion. The brand Doctor's best sells a product with bertaine hcl, pepsin and gentian bitters and I've seen people on the forum report benefits from enzymes and hcl. I myself haven't tried that product I mentioned, but I did try just pepsin with hcl( from a national brand here in Brazil) and it does help with digestion, but it gave me some low level depression for some reason.
Thanks @Rafael Lao Wai for this comprehensive answer. I agree that gut motility is the key. I saw Hans' great post on that recently : The new way of speeding up transit time for amazing bowel health » MENELITE