crash diet after peating

Peatit

Hello,

I'm freshly registered on the forum but I read it anonymously for a long time.
I'm a little bit short on time but once I'd try to introduce myself in the adequate section.
Suffice to say for the moment that I'm a male 35 y; English is not my first language, so please be kind with the possible language mistakes.
I am "peating" since about 6 months with great success in perceived health and raised metabolism, the downside which is pretty unavoidable it seems, it that I have gained weight (moderately though).
I was thinking lately about a convenient way to get rid of the unwanted body fat while taking advantage of the raised metabolism:
Doing a very short crash diet (5 days max), very low in calories, basically only protein before resuming a peaty diet while however trying to keep fat gain at bay.
The raisonning here is that the momentum of the raised metabolism could give a quick start to the fat loss and the short duration of the diet would not be enough to crash the metabolism big time.
But I guess it could fail because the body may need time to shift its metabolism and I wonder if during the first day even a good amount of protein, hepatic gluconeogenesis would not tap into skeletal muscles and organs in order to supply the glucose to the cells while they adapt their cellular machinery to utilise FFA as an energy supply.
Please note that I'd like to not discuss the relevance of such a fat loss but only the predictable fate of such a scenario ;)

Sure it could work. To get the most fat burning in the shortest amount of time, it's better drop carbs to around 30-50g and eat lots of protein and fat while in a slight caloric deficit and add lots of exercise.

Since it's only 5 days, you might as well go for it and report back your results.

tara

Peatit said:
Please note that I'd like to not discuss the relevance of such a fat loss but only the predictable fate of such a scenario ;)
I don't think you can get a predictable result. People respond differently to calorie restriction. Probably depends on current state and history of restriction (or non-restriction). I'm presuming you want to lose fat without immediately regaining at least as much when you resume normal eating to appetite again.
Might work, might not.

Tom

Very important to get the electrolytes on calorie restriction, like coconut water, vegetables, fruits, maybe some sodium bicarbonate.

Peat mentioned in an interview how during shorter fasts or severe calorie restriction, you´re living on your own body, meaning a "pure meat diet", which then requires extra minerals. If these are supplied, the body will spare much protein, he said. Otherwise the result could be that one just lose a lot of muscle mass and no fat (which would make it even harder to lose weight next time because muscle mass is needed to burn fat).

I suspect that if hard boiled eggs are supplied, the body will be better able to burn off fat stores in liver and such, instead of using up muscle mass to provide needed energy.

In the past such egg diets were not uncommon for weight loss, for example Margaret Thatcher did this many years ago to lose weight before an election:

"But only now can the secret of Margaret Thatcher's own diet be revealed - 28 eggs a week.
The eggs, along with cucumber, spinach, tomatoes, steak and the odd swig of whisky, went towards a strict meal regime that promised to help her shed 20lb in two weeks."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -week.html

Based on various smaller "paleo" diet trials (I mentioned this in another post), I think it makes some sense for obese diabetics to try a 1200 kcal, very low fat diet, rich in vegetables, several servings of fruits, maybe a bit of potatoes and tubers, lean meats and some organ meats or eggs (for the choline) for a few months, say 1200 kcal, and perhaps 30E% protein, 50E% carbs, 20E% fats. This would be supplied by 200-300 grams of lean meats, 2-4 hard boiled eggs, 6-7 servings of fruits a 20 gram carbs, plus some vegetables. It would however be important to listen to one´s body and not force feed something that taste terrible, gives nausea, headaches etc. That´s a sign that such a diet is not ideal for the individual.

This isn´t exactly a Peat approach though. And the release of free fatty acids could be a problem too if weight is lost too quickly.

Perhaps living on exclusively lower fat milk will give equally good results, but there´s no trials for that. My concern with skimmed milk is that it removes a lot of these components that are necessary to fully utilize the calcium and other factors in the skimmed milk part. Maybe calcum gets accumulated in the wrong places in the body without these factors, for example.

OP
Peatit

Peatit

Peatit said:
But I guess it could fail because the body may need time to shift its metabolism and I wonder if during the first day even a good amount of protein, hepatic gluconeogenesis would not tap into skeletal muscles and organs in order to supply the glucose to the cells while they adapt their cellular machinery to utilise FFA as an energy supply.
And what about this hypothesis?
BTW, one thing I am wondering (but may have been answered elsewhere, i'm just unable to find where) is how the body is supposed to use stored fat when using niacinamide, aspirin or simply sugar all day long, all those substances preventing the release of FFA in the bloodstream :?:
Tom said:
Very important to get the electrolytes on calorie restriction, like coconut water, vegetables, fruits, maybe some sodium bicarbonate.
From my own experiment I'm with you on that.
Tom said:
I suspect that if hard boiled eggs are supplied, the body will be better able to burn off fat stores in liver and such, instead of using up muscle mass to provide needed energy.
can you explain how :?:

Tom

It´s possibly the choline in the eggs that has the biggest impact. Chris Masterjohn has written some good articles about this.

Tom

Don´t think choline itself is so wise to supplement, only whole foods containing it. But ultimately milk is a good source of choline, while cheese (relative to calcium content) has only 1/10 as much, so then one would have to avoid drinking milk.

Human milk is also very high in choline, the equivalent of 4 egg yolks per 2000 kcal, despite low protein content. 4 egg yolks would supply much less methionine than 100 grams of meats.

I tend to think that many of our current diseases could be a result of eating only muscle meats and no longer much organ meats, or eggs, and also more cheese relative to milk than in the past. Egg yolks would have a similar composition as organ meats.

Organ meats may typically supply 5 times more choline, pantothenic acid, often selenium, than muscle meats. Just as milk can provide also 10 times more choline and pantothenic acid than similar amount of cheese.

If there is a worry about methionine, it is easier to just reduce protein intake. One can do this by eating eggs rather than meat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals