Low-Fat Diet, Hypocaloric Diet, Weight Loss, Metabolism

Energizer

Getting pretty damn lean doing this, which is good for satisfying my vanity :snaphappy:

A couple of separate concerns need to be isolated and addressed independently (as per my signature, De-complect all the things ;))

Firstly on the topic of starches, like I wrote here -- Fructose Alters Brain Genes Negatively. How To Counter This From Peat Perspective? , "Starch" needs to be defined properly, and different "starches" will have different impacts on health.

I prefer discriminate along the lines of specific foods, and not refer to all glucose-polymer-containing food items as "starch" or "suboptimal" :penguin:

Second, on the topic of IQ, there are a whole host of driving factors. Some good research references would be the work of Dr Richard Lynn and Dr Helmuth Nyborg:

- Richard Lynn - Publications
- Professor Emeritus Dr. Phil. Helmuth Sørensen Nyborg - Aarhus Denmark - Homepage
- The Scientific Study of General Intelligence - ScienceDirect

One theory is that geographical constraints that put selection pressure on increasing IQ, led to the development of higher IQs. That could explain the "higher latitude => higher IQ" correlation (have to plan for seasonal food scarcity, and organise social networks to deal with these constraints).

Of course, the role of having good metabolism to fuel and fulfil whatever mental capacity you have must also be taken into account, but IQ seems to be a largely heritable trait, and selection pressures occur across generations. (Although I think I read somewhere that we're not talking 10's or 100's of generations for IQ to improve -- ie: your children will likely be smarter than you). Well, all more important to ensure proper nutrition and stress-reduction during pregnancy and formative childhood years.

On a related note, not all Asians share the same IQ trends. Again, we see the higher average IQs in places like Japan, Northern China, Korea, etc .... and less so in lower latitude regions like Indonesia. Again, it's probably some complex interactions of selection pressures over time (latitude and climatic conditions are only one factor).

NOTE: And of course, my comments regarding IQ don't reflect any moral or political judgment. This is purely looking at scientific data.​

FINAL SIDENOTE: regarding the topic of starch, there is this Myth of "long Japanese Intestines" floating around, I have no opinion on whether it's true or false, but .... longer intestine => better starch metabolism??????? :rolleyes:)​

Late response but I just wanted to point out that Richard Lynn is an unapologetic eugenicist. As far as the "science" goes in books like the Bell Curve, the methodology has been criticized in multiple sources for a lack of rigor and cherry-picking to fit pre-defined conclusions. Listen to the Politics and Science episode "The Origin of Life", Peat talks about Lynn's book, the Bell Curve, and the origins of IQ as a way to prevent immigrants from Eastern Europe to the US:

"CALLER: What I’ve been seeing, at least on the level of the popular media and the way the idea of genetics is presented, is a kind of genetic determinism, in which the public at large is being led to believe that a gene is sort of individual, almost like an organism itself, the selfish gene and all that sort of thing, which then is responsible for a specific quality or characteristic appearing. And as far as I know, no one has ever proved that genes do anything except organize the synthesis of protein.

RAY PEAT: Yeah. I have – because I guess I have been interested in the subject for more than 50 years, and so I’ve noticed the things going on and tried to find out where they came from. The – in some of my newsletters, I’ll be talking about related issues, but the motivation for a lot of these ideas, around 1910 to 1920, were to stop immigration of Eastern Europeans and Southern Europeans to the United States. So they created IQ tests and showed that Russians and Jews and the various people that they didn’t want to immigrate that 85% of them were feeble minded, naturally they gave the tests in English. But these tests were very explicitly designed for racist exclusionary purposes. And many of these people have persisted in universities, the Bell Curve, for example, a real idiot at Harvard was one of the last hangers on. And these people had great success in getting published in science, the leading American science magazine. When I sent a tiny letter criticizing one of these genetic determination of intelligence, I think it was an 8 or 10 page article, I sent about a two-sentence letter. They sent me pages of anonymous referees, one of them – the only evidence that was cited for not publishing my little letter critical of the conclusions – I just said that conclusions have nothing what so ever to do with the text of the article. These cases of anonymous referees rejecting my comment. The only data cited was from Hitler’s racial hygiene [inaudible]got me interested in studying what was going on there And I saw that by studying that period, I saw that Konrad Lorenz was the architect of the racial hygiene, but he created the rationale based on American IQ racism. He created the rationale for exterminating inferior people. Konrad Lorenz was a Nazi. I think it was his last book. He repeated exactly the arguments of his 1942 and the founding papers of genocide. He repeated the exact arguments except he replaced exterminate with some slightly mild translation, but he never repented from this idea of eliminating genetic inferiority and…"

Katty

@thebigpeatowski
I know this post is several years old. And I read some of your updates in the "best of times" thread. But if you don't mind sharing, I'd love to hear an update on whether you've been able to keep off most of the weight. Any other thoughts on losing weight so quickly now that you are a couple years out from it?

Thanks =)

LadyRae

[ moderator edit: thread separated from PUFA Depletion Can (probably) Be Accomplished In 30 Days! ]

So I feel absolutely compelled to speak up here. Please understand that I don't have a scientific background or mind and I'm only relaying my personal results from my experiment. As a frame of reference, prior to Peat I was on a high fat low-carb diet for several years and ate a ton of PUFA during those years. My metabolism tanked and I started gaining weight (among many of other unpleasant side effects). I Googled metabolism, came across Peat's work and immediately jumped in head first. Within 5 months or so I had gained close to 30 more pounds on top of what I had already gained. It was downright scary, depressing and I was afraid that my metabolism was permanently broken.

I know that Peat believes losing weight slowly is more healthy/safer and I would have to agree, especially if you aren't taking thyroid meds. However, I was already on thyroid medication and so I figured what do I have to lose (except the obvious)? I figured I had enough body fat that if my body needed fat then it could pull from my ample reserves. My mitochondria were already mush, so to speak, and I was suffering.

I decided to do exactly this: I cut ALL fat from my diet, keeping it as low as possible (under 20 grams per day) and certainly NO PUFA. I ate 100 grams of LEAN protein (sometimes more) and massive amounts of sugar, ripe fruits and OJ. I paid close attention to my calcium phosphorous ratio as well as other minerals and made certain that I got plenty of sunshine, vit. A, vit. K and especially vit. E with lots of Progest-E too.

Results were that I went from 170+ to exactly 132.0 lbs. over the summer. I lost NO muscle at all and did NO exercise beyond going for a walk once in a while. I used a lot of caffeine, b vitamins, fat free dairy and gelatin too. My diet was somewhat boring, after all fat is delicious. I am happy to say that I had no stress response whatsoever. On the few occasions when I strayed and ate PUFA I could definitely feel it the next day. My skin would go greasy and break out, weight loss would stall and I would get pronounced estrogen symptoms. It was that quick and VERY noticeable.

If one is quite strict, this works beautifully for removing fat while preserving muscle. I have had many health improvements that I must believe are due to PUFA depletion. I still need to lose 7 or 8 more pounds, but thinking that should be done with exercise.

I started adding (saturated animal) fat back in to my diet a month ago and I have NOT gained an ounce. I never EVER would have believed it was possible for a middle-aged hypothyroid woman, but this works!

I simply MUST agree with haidut's conclusion, that waiting four years isn't all-together necessary, I could definitely feel the difference within weeks. Having said all this, perhaps I will be on thyroid meds for four more years...or for life, who knows? I don't have any overt signs of metabolic damage, in fact on the contrary. My temps are up and I feel better now than I have in DECADES. :cool:
Do you have an update?

Thanks!

Nicole Carter

I’ve be
[ moderator edit: thread separated from PUFA Depletion Can (probably) Be Accomplished In 30 Days! ]

So I feel absolutely compelled to speak up here. Please understand that I don't have a scientific background or mind and I'm only relaying my personal results from my experiment. As a frame of reference, prior to Peat I was on a high fat low-carb diet for several years and ate a ton of PUFA during those years. My metabolism tanked and I started gaining weight (among many of other unpleasant side effects). I Googled metabolism, came across Peat's work and immediately jumped in head first. Within 5 months or so I had gained close to 30 more pounds on top of what I had already gained. It was downright scary, depressing and I was afraid that my metabolism was permanently broken.

I know that Peat believes losing weight slowly is more healthy/safer and I would have to agree, especially if you aren't taking thyroid meds. However, I was already on thyroid medication and so I figured what do I have to lose (except the obvious)? I figured I had enough body fat that if my body needed fat then it could pull from my ample reserves. My mitochondria were already mush, so to speak, and I was suffering.

I decided to do exactly this: I cut ALL fat from my diet, keeping it as low as possible (under 20 grams per day) and certainly NO PUFA. I ate 100 grams of LEAN protein (sometimes more) and massive amounts of sugar, ripe fruits and OJ. I paid close attention to my calcium phosphorous ratio as well as other minerals and made certain that I got plenty of sunshine, vit. A, vit. K and especially vit. E with lots of Progest-E too.

Results were that I went from 170+ to exactly 132.0 lbs. over the summer. I lost NO muscle at all and did NO exercise beyond going for a walk once in a while. I used a lot of caffeine, b vitamins, fat free dairy and gelatin too. My diet was somewhat boring, after all fat is delicious. I am happy to say that I had no stress response whatsoever. On the few occasions when I strayed and ate PUFA I could definitely feel it the next day. My skin would go greasy and break out, weight loss would stall and I would get pronounced estrogen symptoms. It was that quick and VERY noticeable.

If one is quite strict, this works beautifully for removing fat while preserving muscle. I have had many health improvements that I must believe are due to PUFA depletion. I still need to lose 7 or 8 more pounds, but thinking that should be done with exercise.

I started adding (saturated animal) fat back in to my diet a month ago and I have NOT gained an ounce. I never EVER would have believed it was possible for a middle-aged hypothyroid woman, but this works!

I simply MUST agree with haidut's conclusion, that waiting four years isn't all-together necessary, I could definitely feel the difference within weeks. Having said all this, perhaps I will be on thyroid meds for four more years...or for life, who knows? I don't have any overt signs of metabolic damage, in fact on the contrary. My temps are up and I feel better now than I have in DECADES. :cool:
en going exactly this for almost 2 weeks and the weight gained (in the same way you did) seems to be finally coming off and I feel great. I’m hoping it all comes off over the next couple of months. We’re you able to maintain it?

Low-fat, no PUFA and lots of carbs from fruit, honey and other sugar sources is the way to go. I lost unwanted fat with this formula, and my muscle tone makes people think go to gym, which I don’t. I can eat fat as long as it is saturated. About three months ago I went to a Mexican restaurant and veered from my usual carne asada, because my friend kept putting her food on my plate, I ate chips and salsa, her chicken, and other things I would normally eat, with bad oils in them, and later that evening my face was oily and not so glowing like it usually is. I looked terrible! Never again! It definitely wasn’t worth looking and feeling like that!