Post-keto help/encouragement request

katykat

42 year old female. Keto consistently for 5 years, carnivore (90% of the time) for the past 2 years. I am 5’8” and fairly muscular after years of lifting. My ideal weight is 145lb, but anywhere from 145-150 is great. Typically, on keto, i would hover in the 150 area give or take pound on either side....until the weight began creeping up in June of 2020. Still doing keto (truly In ketosis per blood meter), my weight crept up to 160. So I added in fasting, but I was never particularly successful. Finally, I was doing OMAD in early September of this year, still around 160. My diet was always pretty “clean”...nuts and peanuts were my downfall, but I eventually cut them out. On September 4, I got Covid, and I was a bit sicker than I anticipated and my body was CRYING for sugar. I gave in because nothing else sounded good and I ate a Larabar I had around for my son. I started researching carbs after keto (I was aware of the Armstrong sisters and their journey, so I started there). I was 159 after covid and it was at that time I started adding back carbs, probably too fast. I am currently at 165 and NOT happy about it, but trying not to be vain. I know weight isn’t everything, but it’s difficult to sit back and watch myself gain belly fat. I lift as heavy as my back will allow 3-4 times a week and aim for 10k steps everyday. My macros are 25% protein, 35% fat, 40% carbs and about 2000-2200 cals depending on my activity. I eat well, no PUFAs, only 1 starch a day in the form of a potato or sprouted oats, always combining carbs and protein, liberal w/ raw honey, daily raw carrot salad, etc. I know my fats may be a bit high in the view of this group, but coming from keto, it is where I find myself. My temps are low (97.0 during follicular phase, 98. 0 during luteal) and my Resting pulse is around 60. My mood has been all over the place....very irritable. My post prandial blood sugar has been really high at times (200!). I never had that issue on keto. My question is, did I paint myself into a metabolic corner with keto? How long should I expect for my body to adapt? I felt good on keto, but I would also binge on chocolate every 8 weeks or so.... And deep down inside it doesn’t make sense to eliminate an entire macronutrient. I am ready to throw in the towel on carbs, but wouldn’t mind some convincing otherwise....thank you for reading!

Peatful

Welcome.

There is a lot to unpack here.

Im a bit pressed for time- so im going to err on the side of directness.
These are observations not judgements.
These are to help you- which is why you ended up here.

-you appear very weight / body focused. Not a good start if you truly want to heal.
- please post your temps at waking and then 25 min after your first meal. If not your recent blood work.
- yes. You ‘destroyed‘ your metabolism. But don’t fear. The body is resilient and wants to heal once you give it what it needs to repair.
- your BS alone being that high should be all the data you need- but this is about where you have been- not where you are now. Meaning - your body is trying to make sense of the carbs again. Keto did this. Not the carbs.
-Where you've been diet wise for that length of time is a tremendous stress hormonally. Im genuinely surprised you are doing as well as you are.
-getting covid was a sign of decreased metabolic health.
-feeling good on keto is because of cortisol. Thats no way to live.

Im leaving for work.

I haven’t proofed this- but hopefully there is something there to help you sort this out.

bogbody

i have almost the same stats as you. i’m a 41F , 5’7”, 150lbs. it can take a long time to restore proper glucose metabolism after restricting carbs, and most people do gain weight initially. lowering your fat intake can help, as well as taking b vitamins, especially thiamine and niacinamide. i gained about 15 pounds initially and was eventually able to lose it very slowly with a mild calorie deficit. there are a lot of threads here about people transitioning from keto/carnivore if you do a search. i also recommend reading as much as possible of Peat’s writing. Also the Generative Energy podcast as well as the Energy Balance Podcast have episodes about this also. You might also look into using Progesterone. My best advice is to do as much research as possible, ask lots of questions, and have patience. I’ve been at this for a year and I finally am starting to really reap the benefits and get the hang of it all but “Peating” is definitely a long game. Good luck.

OP
K

katykat

Welcome.

There is a lot to unpack here.

Im a bit pressed for time- so im going to err on the side of directness.
These are observations not judgements.
These are to help you- which is why you ended up here.

-you appear very weight / body focused. Not a good start if you truly want to heal.
- please post your temps at waking and then 25 min after your first meal. If not your recent blood work.
- yes. You ‘destroyed‘ your metabolism. But don’t fear. The body is resilient and wants to heal once you give it what it needs to repair.
- your BS alone being that high should be all the data you need- but this is about where you have been- not where you are now. Meaning - your body is trying to make sense of the carbs again. Keto did this. Not the carbs.
-Where you've been diet wise for that length of time is a tremendous stress hormonally. Im genuinely surprised you are doing as well as you are.
-getting covid was a sign of decreased metabolic health.
-feeling good on keto is because of cortisol. Thats no way to live.

Im leaving for work.

I haven’t proofed this- but hopefully there is something there to help you sort this out.
Thank you for responding!! Your observations are greatly appreciate. You know, after I re-read my post, I realized how weight/body focused i sound....yikes. I am also realizing that adding back carbs is forcing me to deal with some food related neurosis. I listened to a video by Paul Saladino discussing the harm of long term ketosis. It helped me make it through the day and push forward.

OP
K

katykat

i have almost the same stats as you. i’m a 41F , 5’7”, 150lbs. it can take a long time to restore proper glucose metabolism after restricting carbs, and most people do gain weight initially. lowering your fat intake can help, as well as taking b vitamins, especially thiamine and niacinamide. i gained about 15 pounds initially and was eventually able to lose it very slowly with a mild calorie deficit. there are a lot of threads here about people transitioning from keto/carnivore if you do a search. i also recommend reading as much as possible of Peat’s writing. Also the Generative Energy podcast as well as the Energy Balance Podcast have episodes about this also. You might also look into using Progesterone. My best advice is to do as much research as possible, ask lots of questions, and have patience. I’ve been at this for a year and I finally am starting to really reap the benefits and get the hang of it all but “Peating” is definitely a long game. Good luck.

ah, the long game. Something I have never been good at...haha! Thanks for your insight and encouragement. I will check those podcasts and supplements out, too.

Peatful

realizing that adding back carbs is forcing me to deal with some food related neurosis.
Good for you. That’s well over half the battle.
Reach out anytime.

ChadGPT

How are you doing now? I am having the same issues after doing keto and wondering how long it takes to fix?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals