Fat Intake Problem

stargazer1111

So, I've recently switched to a Peat-inspired diet.

I'm now consuming:

18 ounces of ground beef (I have to eat at least this much because if I eat less, I get hypoglycemic lows)
2 quarts of whole milk (I know Peat does 1%, but I will get to why I do this in a second)
1 quart of various juices (Orange, Blueberry, Pear, Pomegranate, Cranberry...I like to mix it up)
2 tablespoons of coconut oil

I had to stop eating gelatin. I have severe digestive problems to the point at which I can't even eat potatoes or white rice without get seriously bloated and sick. Gelatin causes similar issues.

So, my problem is the fat intake. I am getting about 137 grams of fat (most of it saturated obviously), 154 grams of protein, and 200-250 grams of carbohydrates (all from milk and juice, sometimes I consume more than a quart of juice if I am stressed). The fat intake is sort of a hold over from my ketogenic days. I don't feel good unless I consume enough fat.

I have read a lot here and have heard from Peat's interviews that you should limit the fat intake. However, when I do this, my stress hormones kick into high gear, even while consuming a lot of sugar. I feel hypoglycemic without enough fat even though my glucose isn't really low because the stress hormones get so high.

I am afraid if I continue eating this much fat that I will put on a ton of weight.

Any advice?

T

tca300

I bet your body is relying on fat as its main fuel source. Maybe gradually lower it over time while using thiamine, niacinamide, and maybe aspirin. Those will help you shift back to using carbohydrates as your main fuel source. Fat does have a GABA like effect, so its probably covering up stress hormones caused by hypothyroidism, which might explain why you dont feel good without a lot of it. Do you mix gelatin in cold water, then heat it up until its transparent with no visible solids? That will help it digest better. Take care!

OP
S

stargazer1111

I bet your body is relying on fat as its main fuel source. Maybe gradually lower it over time while using thiamine, niacinamide, and maybe aspirin. Those will help you shift back to using carbohydrates as your main fuel source. Fat does have a GABA like effect, so its probably covering up stress hormones caused by hypothyroidism, which might explain why you dont feel good without a lot of it. Do you mix gelatin in cold water, then heat it up until its transparent with no visible solids? That will help it digest better. Take care!

I think you are probably right about this. There was an adaptation period of almost a year when I went ketogenic. This may take some time for the body to go back. Thanks!

OP
S

stargazer1111

I'm beginning to think that Peat is correct. Eating a small amount of coconut oil is good to absorb the fat-soluble vitamins. However, it makes more sense to consume mostly carbs and protein because the body will make the fat it prefers from the carbs. Why not just let the body make the fat it wants?

Wagner83

Just a random thought but you can also make glucose from breaking down proteins which is not optimal, so why add a step in the process and not ingest some saturated fats? You can alwys try and see how it works out for you.

OP
S

stargazer1111

I ate a high-fat, ketogenic diet for 6 years. I have eaten a high-fat, moderate carb diet in the form of the Perfect Health Diet from Paul Jaminet for the last year or so. My health did nothing but decline the entire time. I was exhausted, had low libido, gained lots of belly fat, had severe back pain, was cold a lot, and couldn't stand for more than a couple of minutes without feeling like I was going to collapse.

All of this has begun to reverse after lowering the fat and increasing the sugar. Maybe high-fat is good for some people. It certainly isn't for me. I became a shell of my former self. My brain didn't even work correctly on that diet. It made my autistic issues markedly worse. On the high-sugar way, my social abilities have recovered greatly.

My body just doesn't seem to like the high-fat diets.

Tenacity

I think eating a diet that is relatively balanced in the macronutrients leads to more stable blood sugar. I've recently switched from a 70/15/15 diet (C/F/P) to a 50/30/20 diet and I must say I do feel a little more 'stable' in both positive mood and blood sugar levels.

OP
S

stargazer1111

That's probably true. Everybody is different too. I know some people who feel great on ketogenic diets.

OP
S

stargazer1111

I had severe reactive hypoglycemia for years before that. I discovered after eating the PHD diet before switching to Peat that the hypoglycemia was not caused by eating carbs. It was caused by not eating enough protein. If I eat enough protein, I can consume as many carbs as I want without drops in blood sugar.

I did the keto diet for so long because it made the symptoms less severe. But, every other aspect of my health deteriorated. I eventually ended up with a heart arrhythmia that scared me into stopping the ketogenic diet. My heart started skipping beats several times every minute. It was frightening. Increasing my protein while consuming lots of carbs is what eventually fixed the hypoglycemia.

Marcus1000

I ate a high-fat, ketogenic diet for 6 years. I have eaten a high-fat, moderate carb diet in the form of the Perfect Health Diet from Paul Jaminet for the last year or so. My health did nothing but decline the entire time. I was exhausted, had low libido, gained lots of belly fat, had severe back pain, was cold a lot, and couldn't stand for more than a couple of minutes without feeling like I was going to collapse.

All of this has begun to reverse after lowering the fat and increasing the sugar. Maybe high-fat is good for some people. It certainly isn't for me. I became a shell of my former self. My brain didn't even work correctly on that diet. It made my autistic issues markedly worse. On the high-sugar way, my social abilities have recovered greatly.

My body just doesn't seem to like the high-fat diets.

Man, that sounds exactly like me.
High-fat diet literally DESTROYS my health.
I am now slowly recovering from the damage caused by a high fat intake.

High-fat diet made me so weak, like every meal felt like I was poisoning myself.
My feet/legs turn red, my heart rate plummets from 70-80 to like 40-50. Also my temperature drops about 1 degrees celsius.
It got so bad that I even got diagnosed with a problem that they see in astronauts returning from space! (Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome - Wikipedia)
Going from laying to standing still my heart rate would go up from 80 to 150 within a minute.
After stopping consuming fats for just a few days my heart rate does not go up that much anymore, from about 80 to 100-110~ish now, getting better by the week.

I feel like I am slowly recovering from this madness. What I am doing now is very high carb with moderate protein and about 20g~ish fat a day (4000+ calories daily is my aim).

I had severe reactive hypoglycemia for years before that. I discovered after eating the PHD diet before switching to Peat that the hypoglycemia was not caused by eating carbs. It was caused by not eating enough protein. If I eat enough protein, I can consume as many carbs as I want without drops in blood sugar.

I did the keto diet for so long because it made the symptoms less severe. But, every other aspect of my health deteriorated. I eventually ended up with a heart arrhythmia that scared me into stopping the ketogenic diet. My heart started skipping beats several times every minute. It was frightening. Increasing my protein while consuming lots of carbs is what eventually fixed the hypoglycemia.

Keto diet also gives me heart arrhythmia. My heart literally skips a beat after every 6 beats if I follow that diet. Hundreds of skipped beats daily on that diet. I am only 22 years old with a very lean body, how such a diet can poison me that badly is beyond me. Horrible!

OJ15

I think eating a diet that is relatively balanced in the macronutrients leads to more stable blood sugar. I've recently switched from a 70/15/15 diet (C/F/P) to a 50/30/20 diet and I must say I do feel a little more 'stable' in both positive mood and blood sugar levels.

I think this is very true, especially heading into the cold winter months. I need some fat (25-30%, ~80-90 grams atm) to function properly, feel satiated and get adequate calories. Come summertime I will try to work back down to around 50 grams per day as environmental stressors ease up a bit with the warmer temps.

Tenacity

I think this is very true, especially heading into the cold winter months. I need some fat (25-30%, ~80-90 grams atm) to function properly, feel satiated and get adequate calories. Come summertime I will try to work back down to around 50 grams per day as environmental stressors ease up a bit with the warmer temps.

Hey, just wanted to say that I feel differently about what I said. I do think it's possible to eat lower fat and have a stable blood sugar, but for me personally it meant having a mix of starch and sugar as carbohydrates. My diet right now is about 70% carbs. Sugar alone didn't sustain me for whatever reason, but a few hundred grams of each does.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals