Using Cane Sugar As The Main Source Of Carbohydrate

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I found a conventional brand apple juice that comes in glass called Martinelli's. The price is 4-5 dollars for 48 ounces. I tolerate it fine but would prefer to find an organic brand.
Edit:it's actually 1.5 L/50.7 ounces.

HDD

I was wondering if it is important to use organic apples for juicing? I have been buying organic apple juice because apples are on the "dirty dozen" list.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Haagendazendiane said:
I was wondering if it is important to use organic apples for juicing? I have been buying organic apple juice because apples are on the "dirty dozen" list.
Organic must be optimal especially with apples on the dirty dozen. The day I chose to try that juice it was simply with an attitude of picking the least offensive option. I try to drink from glass whenever possible but for all I know it might be better to choose organic from concentrate in plastic. I'm interested to hear what others have to say. So are you making your own juice HDD?

Mittir

My guess is that main blood sugar lowering effect of Apple juice i am getting
depends on the fructose content of the apple they use. Fructose content varies
between 60 to 85 percent of total sugar. Fuji has 69, Gala has 73, Condessa 85,
Melrose apple 60 , Fuji supreme 65 percent. I noticed i do not get the same
blood sugar control with certain brands of Apple juice. Gala and Fuji
are easy to find. I could not find the fructose content of other apple cultivars.
Doing a google search i found that Martinelli' probably use "Newton Pippin Apple"

Here is a link to the study measuring fructose content of several apple cultivars.
http://www.revistas2.uepg.br/index.php/ ... le/850/733

HDD

Blossom said:
Haagendazendiane said:
Organic must be optimal especially with apples on the dirty dozen. The day I chose to try that juice it was simply with an attitude of picking the least offensive option. I try to drink from glass whenever possible but for all I know it might be better to choose organic from concentrate in plastic. I'm interested to hear what others have to say. So are you making your own juice HDD?

Yes, since Mittir has been talking about it I am. I used to juice carrots and other veggies along with apples. When my daughter was going thru chemo, I would juice for her. She always preferred just apple juice. It is so delicious!

Parsifal

I get allergies with raw cane sugar and almost anything industrial: jam, fruit purée, honey, juices, cane sugar... and I've read this interesting thing by Peat today:

Caller: OK, then the other thing is you know I’ve noticed that you recommend, it seems like, you don’t say for sure on this, but you usually will say just plain white sugar rather than you know like in the health food store now they are always prompting these cane organic sugars that aren’t refined so that they are not white, they are brownish colour. I guess the problem with these things that are not more purified is that they have allergens in them or possibly things from the processing of the substances, is that it?

RP: Ah, yeah. If you have ever tasted black strap molasses, sometimes you can taste smoke in it and they used to burn the cane fields to make them easier to harvest and so they would be smoky and then they would boil it down and the molasses would collect minerals, a lot of nutritious stuff, but also the junk and the smoky material and even with very clean material like maple syrup or the Maguary[??] juice, those come out very clean and when they’re cooked, the high temperature, if it’s browning the sugar, that’s breaking down the sugar itself and producing some highly irritating, possibly toxic, materials.
Here: https://raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... =73&t=5743

So I will try the normal white sugar instead.

PeatThemAll

Although I have read the caveats regarding molasses above, have you considered this one as a sugar substitute (organic green molasses). Pretty impressive potassium count!

RealFoodToronto-Wholesome-Sweeteners-Organic-Blackstrap-Molasses-Nutrition.jpg

mt_dreams

PeatThemAll said:
post 102910 Although I have read the caveats regarding molasses above, have you considered this one as a sugar substitute (organic green molasses). Pretty impressive potassium count!

dan noted that wholesome sweetener did not confirm that it's 100% blackstrap, so it's something to keep in mind. If you tolerate it, give it a go, but the low iron brand is better if you will be using it as a carb source ... though I would love to get confirmation of the low iron, as I find it hard to totally believe there''s only one brand that makes a low iron option.

My question is why the nutritional profile of blackstrap molasses differ so much in several vitamins & minerals. I've never seen this much difference in any other 1 ingredient products on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:

jet9

No, the one i am using is not in glass bottle, its tetra pak with plastic lining inside.
I tried few glass bottled brands, those are not that good.
I am still looking for juice in glass bottle that does not cause
any problem. I have noticed apple juice in plastic bottle does not taste good at all.
If you have access to ripe apples then making your own juice is the best way to go.
I really feel like apple juice was the missing piece for me.
You can look for sparkling apple juice, those are usually found in glass bottle and
tastes good, but bit expensive. But, check for apple juice contents in those bottles.
Some brands have less juice than the others.
Mittir, are you still drinking lots of apple juice with good results ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals