Food Layering & Better Digestion

OP
Rinse & rePeat
HI Rinsie!:):

Many thanks for the quick reply!

I have exactly the same issue of feeling perturbed digestion if I take too much liquid. Even water makes me feel bloated sometimes. The same applies to me having a sweet breakfast with lots of coffee, it causes the feeling that I lack some salt to make HCL acid and get bloated some time later.... (my own explanation, not sure if this is correct).
I will try your suggestion for the honey before bed, or before the coffee and will post my update. Should I eat it just before the coffee, or some time before?

Regading the digestive enzyme, I have nevered tried them because I remember having read somewhere that if you took them regularly, the body stops producing its own enzymes, and this got me scared....what is your opinion on this?

Thanks again, I am reading and enjoying your post and the great info you share A LOT!
I don’t take a digestive enzyme very often, just maybe if I haven’t eaten too healthy, and feel I am getting bogged down. I use cascara on occasion too at night after restaurant visits. I think the sugar in coffee is counterproductive to stomach acids doing their job, so you might try skipping the sugar and having that big spoonful of honey before the first cup of coffee, along with a little chocolate, macadamias, or I fry up an egg yolk and have it with my coffee or shortly after. The fats in egg yolks, chocolate and macadamias get my liver and gall bladder going which stimulates my digestion too. I usually have my milk after lunch and throughout the day before dinner. Sometimes I put a good pinch of salt in my coffee with organic B-grade maple syrup instead of sugar for that extra magnesium digestive power boost. I mix things up quite a bit so my body doesn’t rely on a particular routine. Your last comment makes me smile!

mimipt

Forum Supporter
I don’t take a digestive enzyme very often, just maybe if I haven’t eaten too healthy, and feel I am getting bogged down. I use cascara on occasion too at night after restaurant visits. I think the sugar in coffee is counterproductive to stomach acids doing their job, so you might try skipping the sugar and having that big spoonful of honey before the first cup of coffee, along with a little chocolate, macadamias, or I fry up an egg yolk and have it with my coffee or shortly after. The fats in egg yolks, chocolate and macadamias get my liver and gall bladder going which stimulates my digestion too. I usually have my milk after lunch and throughout the day before dinner. Sometimes I put a good pinch of salt in my coffee with organic B-grade maple syrup instead of sugar for that extra magnesium digestive power boost. I mix things up quite a bit so my body doesn’t rely on a particular routine. Your last comment makes me smile!
Thanks again:):

I will try tomorrow morning the honey---coffee with maple syrup and a little salt combo! Sounds tasty!:):

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks again:):

I will try tomorrow morning the honey---coffee with maple syrup and a little salt combo! Sounds tasty!:):
That maple salt combo is tasty! It tastes like a salted caramel coffee. Be sure to report back!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
My e-mail to Ray Peat….

Rinse & rePeat
"I made some well cooked broccoli florets last night, in a bit of water, and drank the water with a little salt and it was delicious! I know you recommended to drink it in an earlier exchange with me, but would the broccoli water also be a good source of vitamin K?"

RAY PEAT
"If it cooked long enough to get cloudy, then it probably extracted some vitamin K, along with other emulsified fats."

Rinse & rePeat
"Is the green color in the water chlorophyll?"

RAY PEAT
"Yes, magnesium comes into the water quickly with some chlorophyll."

mimipt

Forum Supporter
My e-mail to Ray Peat….

Rinse & rePeat
"I made some well cooked broccoli florets last night, in a bit of water, and drank the water with a little salt and it was delicious! I know you recommended to drink it in an earlier exchange with me, but would the broccoli water also be a good source of vitamin K?"

RAY PEAT
"If it cooked long enough to get cloudy, then it probably extracted some vitamin K, along with other emulsified fats."

Rinse & rePeat
"Is the green color in the water chlorophyll?"

RAY PEAT
"Yes, magnesium comes into the water quickly with some chlorophyll."
Hi Rinsie!

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it!

Since yesterday afternoon I tried three of your recipes and they were all delicious:

-the P2B peanut butter defatted powder with maple syrup, coconut oil (and I added a tablespoon of chocolate granola for a little crunch:), tasted great!
-the BREAKFAST CUSTARD which is DELICIOUS! I put a tablespoon of the above on it as a topping:):
-coffee with a little maple syrup and salt, good addition to my coffee habits too!

I will try your other recipes, all look great!:):

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hi Rinsie!

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it!

Since yesterday afternoon I tried three of your recipes and they were all delicious:

-the P2B peanut butter defatted powder with maple syrup, coconut oil (and I added a tablespoon of chocolate granola for a little crunch:), tasted great!
-the BREAKFAST CUSTARD which is DELICIOUS! I put a tablespoon of the above on it as a topping:):
-coffee with a little maple syrup and salt, good addition to my coffee habits too!

I will try your other recipes, all look great!:):
Hi Mimi! I like your idea about using maple syrup to make the peanut butter! I am going to try that. I made some flourless peanut butter cookies with that “Peaty” homemade peanut butter and they were so light and tender, and I’ll bet that maple syrup will be so good in them, and healthier too! I will have to post that recipe for them. I find eating a Ray Peat inspired diet to have the biggest variety of things to eat compared to any other diet. Thank you for letting me know that you tried some of my ideas!
1700838599342.jpeg

mimipt

Forum Supporter
Hi Mimi! I like your idea about using maple syrup to make the peanut butter! I am going to try that. I made some flourless peanut butter cookies with that “Peaty” homemade peanut butter and they were so light and tender, and I’ll bet that maple syrup will be so good in them, and healthier too! I will have to post that recipe for them. I find eating a Ray Peat inspired diet to have the biggest variety of things to eat compared to any other diet. Thank you for letting me know that you tried some of my ideas!
View attachment 58536
Yummy! Waiting for the récipe:)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Yummy! Waiting for the récipe:)
Here I will get it to you early! This was the first recipe I ever used, making these cookies when I was about eleven years old, at my father’s new apartment after his divorce from my mother.

1700848556701.jpeg

mimipt

Forum Supporter
Here I will get it to you early! This was the first recipe I ever used, making these cookies when I was about eleven years old, at my father’s new apartment after his divorce from my mother.

View attachment 58542
Thanks Rinsie, I will try It this weekend!:) looks tasty in picture and paper!

Just made me remember my first cooking experience, a pancake which broke into 4-5 pieces while I was trying to flip it as I had seen my mother did.....Proust's madeleines! :)

Cow

@Rinse & rePeat
Hi Rinse, is there a recipe somewhere for how to make the Peaty peanut butter. I wanted to have a go at the cookies, but I searched and could not find the recipe for how to turn the defatted peanut peanut flour into peanut butter. ~THANKS!!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat
Hi Rinse, is there a recipe somewhere for how to make the Peaty peanut butter. I wanted to have a go at the cookies, but I searched and could not find the recipe for how to turn the defatted peanut peanut flour into peanut butter. ~THANKS!!
Here it is Cow, on page one of one of my recipe threads I posted for you below. Let me know how yours turn out!

MikeyFitz

There is a lot of talk on food "pairing" whilst "Peating", but I am finding that food "layering" is a step worth taking farther. With digestion function being the biggest player in how successful we are at being healthy it makes sense to think about these things. Things like having my honeycomb with a steak, let's say, would have me eating that honeycomb as dessert, when all this time it would have served me better to let it go in first, and turn on the "machine" aka liver, to prepare to dismantle that protein and dole it out as needed much more quickly, like getting a running start before jumping. Can you imagine poor liver peacefully resting and suddenly, without notice, is bombarded with meat? How hard that must be for him to get a movin'? No wonder our digesting gets so sluggish, hence why there is so much fat everywhere we look. Even things like having milk and orange juice together can have a happier ending. With one faster to digest than the other, having the faster orange juice in first gives it a headstart to keep far away from milk so there is no curdling to be be done. With sugar being the quickest to digest, carbs next and protein the longest, has anybody found some "layerings" to be highly effective for more efficient digestion?
Could not agree more.
As a former bodybuilder and still very amateur athlete, there is a lot of science to back this up.

For example, after a workout, the muscles are damaged and primed for repair.

So post-exercise, we should eat a very high glycemic easily digestible carbohydrate followed immediately by a very lean and easily digestible protein.

The high-glycemic carbohydrate causes a large insulin spike.
All that insulin then transports the glucose into the muscles, replenishing glycogen stores.
Then the amino acids from the lean protein are quickly and effectively transported into the muscles by the insulin where they can be used to repair the muscles.

A perfect system.

Even if we are not considering post-workout nutrition, we should still keep this concept in mind.
Fruit is much more easily digested than meat, for example.
We should eat the fruit first as it will quickly get through the digestive tract.
As Ray taught us, the sugars in fruit also prevent cortisol from rising in contrast to eating a lot of animal protein alone.
If we were to eat the fruit and meat at the very same time, the fruit would sit on top of the meat and ferment while the body was trying to deal with the meat.

A technique that many use when they are having digestive issues and repairing their metabolism is to have mono-meals.

Like a lot of one kind of fruit at a time.

This is an easy to digest, high carb meal that the body loves.

Historically, evening meal time was not a quick shoveling in of food and then off to the TV or computer.

People sat and talked and enjoyed multiple courses over music and conversation.

Fruit, salad, meat or fish, coffee.

I think that is the model for good digestion and absorption.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Could not agree more.
As a former bodybuilder and still very amateur athlete, there is a lot of science to back this up.

For example, after a workout, the muscles are damaged and primed for repair.

So post-exercise, we should eat a very high glycemic easily digestible carbohydrate followed immediately by a very lean and easily digestible protein.

The high-glycemic carbohydrate causes a large insulin spike.
All that insulin then transports the glucose into the muscles, replenishing glycogen stores.
Then the amino acids from the lean protein are quickly and effectively transported into the muscles by the insulin where they can be used to repair the muscles.

A perfect system.

Even if we are not considering post-workout nutrition, we should still keep this concept in mind.
Fruit is much more easily digested than meat, for example.
We should eat the fruit first as it will quickly get through the digestive tract.
As Ray taught us, the sugars in fruit also prevent cortisol from rising in contrast to eating a lot of animal protein alone.
If we were to eat the fruit and meat at the very same time, the fruit would sit on top of the meat and ferment while the body was trying to deal with the meat.

A technique that many use when they are having digestive issues and repairing their metabolism is to have mono-meals.

Like a lot of one kind of fruit at a time.

This is an easy to digest, high carb meal that the body loves.

Historically, evening meal time was not a quick shoveling in of food and then off to the TV or computer.

People sat and talked and enjoyed multiple courses over music and conversation.

Fruit, salad, meat or fish, coffee.

I think that is the model for good digestion and absorption.
This was a good further example of what I was saying in this thread Mikey. The common practice of eating a salad was designed for the bitter leaves to start the digestive juices going before the tougher proteins arrived. I talk much about mono meals too in my “More Weight Loss Talk” thread. I stick to one course in every meal now and I digest through my food so quickly. If I want a steak I just eat a steak for dinner, if I want scalloped potatoes then that is dinner, and a good pleasant portion at that. I have stayed lean for a lot longer than I ever have with food pairings, layerings and mono meals. Thanks for adding this good post of yours Mikey, in what I think is an important subject for optimal health.

MikeyFitz

This was a good further example of what I was saying in this thread Mikey. The common practice of eating a salad was designed for the bitter leaves to start the digestive juices going before the tougher proteins arrived. I talk much about mono meals too in my “More Weight Loss Talk” thread. I stick to one course in every meal now and I digest through my food so quickly. If I want a steak I just eat a steak for dinner, if I want scalloped potatoes then that is dinner, and a good pleasant portion at that. I have stayed lean for a lot longer than I ever have with food pairings, layerings and mono meals. Thanks for adding this good post of yours Mikey, in what I think is an important subject for optimal health.
Thank you for all of the excellent content that you post here and, most importantly, for your great attitude of giving freely to others.

Happy New Year!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you for all of the excellent content that you post here and, most importantly, for your great attitude of giving freely to others.

Happy New Year!
You are such an encouraging and positive person Mikey, a happy New Year is coming your way too!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Awwwww!!!! Thank you! :):

I read this just as I was putting a pan of homemade orange gelatin with baby mandarin oranges in the refrigerator.

YUM!
Gosh this vision you describe is like a Norman Rockwell painting! I am going to go make a sweet potato crust quiche now!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
OMG, that sounds amazing!!!!

Your idea is much better.....warm comfort carb foods in the winter.
I made it recently and people that don’t normally care for quiche raved about it! I posted my recipe for it in one of my recipe thread linked below…

1703787514089.png

MikeyFitz

I made it recently and people that don’t normally care for quiche raved about it! I posted my recipe for it in one of my recipe thread linked below…

View attachment 59623
R&R = domestic goddess

That picture made my belly rumble.

It looks decadent! :):

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals